The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 July 2018, 07:50 AM   #1
d4v3
"TRF" Member

16710 GMT II - Rectangular dial - what do you think?

Got the chance to pick one of these up.
Would you have one over any other dial type?
Anything I should know about it - downsides etc?
d4v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 08:30 AM   #2
DGB
"TRF" Member

The stick dial are more popular, the rectangular are rarer and the Roman 2 are the most common.

Ultimately it doesn’t change much, it just ends up with which one you prefer.

I don’t think you’ll make millions with a rectangular but it is a neat dial, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 09:51 AM   #3
WJGESQ
Banned

Pic?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 11:00 AM   #4
GMTmatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
I have the rectangle dial and would not make the purchase decision based on this attribute and would not pay a premium either. Access on the seller, watch condition, and papers.
Old 10 July 2018, 01:57 PM   #5
Speed
"TRF" Member

Buy based on the condition of the watch.

Period.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 04:26 PM   #6
d4v3
"TRF" Member

I was ignorant of the dial types when I found this one, I just wanted a mint GMT and the one I'm looking at just happens to have it.
I'm not actually that keen on the thinner hour markers but it's not a big deal.
If there are no real downsides to having it I may go for it.
I can always switch the dial out at service

I'll try and post a pic.
Old 10 July 2018, 04:50 PM   #7
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
What do you guys mean by regular dial? The Roman II?
Old 10 July 2018, 05:37 PM   #8
d4v3
"TRF" Member

Rectangular dial is one of three variants and refers to the II of GM-Master II.

The Roman II are closer together making it look like a rectangle. There are a couple of other differences also (fonts etc) but this is what people are referring to.
Old 10 July 2018, 05:40 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4v3 View Post
Got the chance to pick one of these up.
Would you have one over any other dial type?
Anything I should know about it - downsides etc?
Only in the internet fantasy island and internet Rolex hype collector does the so called error or stick dial exist. In the real world all it is a simple font change much like the hundreds of others over the past 50 years.And at one on the net the so called error or stick dial GMT must have a 3186 inside but afraid this was complete boswellocks.This hype was generated over the net and has driven prices up god knows why.In the real world it's a tiny font on a painted round disc, who is going to look at a font on a dial thats so small only the WIS with lupe mania syndrome would even notice it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 06:17 PM   #10
d4v3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTmatt View Post
I have the rectangle dial and would not make the purchase decision based on this attribute and would not pay a premium either. Access on the seller, watch condition, and papers.
Did you actively source a rectangular dial or did you find out after you bought it or what made you go for it?

I couldn't care less if it was a stick, rectangular or some kind of other-worldly extra-terrestrial symbol but horology is a weird area and I would rather be informed of any downsides before I commit to the purchase.
Old 10 July 2018, 06:19 PM   #11
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
The Rolex Fantasy

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 06:22 PM   #12
d4v3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Only in the internet fantasy island and internet Rolex hype collector does the so called error or stick dial exist. In the real world all it is a simple font change much like the hundreds of others over the past 50 years.And at one on the net the so called error or stick dial GMT must have a 3186 inside but afraid this was complete boswellocks.This hype was generated over the net and has driven prices up god knows why.In the real world it's a tiny font on a painted round disc, who is going to look at a font on a dial thats so small only the WIS with lupe mania syndrome would even notice it.
At the end of the day I'm trying to go into this purchase with some degree of education about something I'm unsure of, I just want to know I'm not making a mistake.

There are more differences to the rectangular dial than just the font and of course we are not talking about the rational world, this is about the 'through the looking glass' weird world of watches.
Old 10 July 2018, 08:55 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
At the end of the day I'm trying to go into this purchase with some degree of education about something I'm unsure of, I just want to know I'm not making a mistake.

There are more differences to the rectangular dial than just the font and of course we are not talking about the rational world, this is about the 'through the looking glass' weird world of watches.
I will make it very simple for you the type on font will make no difference whatsoever on any modern day 16710 it's down to your personal choice.The only difference in any modern 16710 is whether its got the cal 3185 or 3186 movement.Today many are willing to pay crazy money for a 16710 with the cal 3186 god knows why.Given the choice I would take any 16710 with the cal 3185 that's got the best price and condition.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 10 July 2018, 08:59 PM   #14
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
There are no rare variations of the 16710. Those “error” dials everyone talks about are being used as service dials. I had one in my hand just last year. More and more of them in the world every day
Old 10 July 2018, 09:14 PM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
There are no rare variations of the 16710. Those “error” dials everyone talks about are being used as service dials. I had one in my hand just last year. More and more of them in the world every day
But Joe all Rolex watches are rare according to the internet hype collector.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 10 July 2018, 09:35 PM   #16
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Rectangular dial
Like a JLC Reverso?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 12:17 AM   #17
lesliekkwu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi sir, do you mind where you get the service stick dial ?

I would love to get a service stick dial
lesliekkwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 12:51 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliekkwu View Post
Hi sir, do you mind where you get the service stick dial ?

I would love to get a service stick dial
Cannot understand why but if your dial is damaged it will most probably be replaced by a stick font dial. Which soon there will be thousands of them around and nothing special whatsoever in the so called stick or error dial,except in Rolex internet fantasy island.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 11 July 2018, 01:10 AM   #19
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Cannot understand why but if your dial is damaged it will most probably be replaced by a stick font dial. Which soon there will be thousands of them around and nothing special whatsoever in the so called stick or error dial,except in Rolex internet fantasy island.
At least on Rolex Internet Fantasy Island they'll have sticks to build a fire.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 01:17 AM   #20
lesliekkwu
"TRF" Member

Quote:

At least in Asia I never see replacement dials are stick dial

If in US replacement dials are stick I would love to go US for repair
Old 11 July 2018, 03:29 AM   #21
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I had the dial replaced last year by RSC on one of my 16710’s.

They didn’t use a stick dial but the Roman Numeral II.

Interestingly, comparing to the other three 16710’s I have, the Rolex writing and the crown symbol on the dial are slightly different to the non service dial watches in my collection.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 10:42 AM   #22
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
I had the dial replaced last year by RSC on one of my 16710’s.

They didn’t use a stick dial but the Roman Numeral II.

Interestingly, comparing to the other three 16710’s I have, the Rolex writing and the crown symbol on the dial are slightly different to the non service dial watches in my collection.

Could you post pictures of all 3 dials? I’m interested to see the variations. Thank you.
Old 11 July 2018, 12:18 PM   #23
GMTmatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Quote:
Did you actively source a rectangular dial or did you find out after you bought it or what made you go for it?

I couldn't care less if it was a stick, rectangular or some kind of other-worldly extra-terrestrial symbol but horology is a weird area and I would rather be informed of any downsides before I commit to the purchase.
No I did not actively source the rectangle dial, I bought the watch new in 2007. Did not know about the differences in dials until about 6 months ago.
Old 11 July 2018, 10:56 PM   #24
d4v3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frakis View Post
Could you post pictures of all 3 dials? I’m interested to see the variations. Thank you.
There's a very good article on it, I'll dig it out later today and post it here
Old 11 July 2018, 11:38 PM   #25
bonatto
"TRF" Member

Tried posting link to a site called newturfers but looks like their certificate is expired and my post was removed, hopefully this photo attachment will show up.
bonatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 11:49 PM   #26
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
There's a very good article on it, I'll dig it out later today and post it here
We are talking about a very very tiny font change much like the hundreds of others over the past 50 odd years;

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 12 July 2018, 12:35 AM   #27
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I will make it very simple for you the type on font will make no difference whatsoever on any modern day 16710 it's down to your personal choice.The only difference in any modern 16710 is whether its got the cal 3185 or 3186 movement.Today many are willing to pay crazy money for a 16710 with the cal 3186 god knows why.Given the choice I would take any 16710 with the cal 3185 that's got the best price and condition.
Agree completely. If the 3186 wasn't as hyped and overpriced as it currently is, my primary factor in determining which 16710 to get would be condition. Seeing as how the difference in movements is almost negligible, I'd take a well conditioned 3185 16710 over any 3186 16710 at half the price or more.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 04:16 AM   #28
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

Ok, I’m all about being all about Rolex insanity, but this is beyond reason. Who in the heck gives a flying ....?!
T.Mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 02:50 PM   #29
lesliekkwu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello sir, can you tell me where you service your watch, and show a picture of your service stick dial ?
Old 12 July 2018, 03:01 PM   #30
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
Yeah, I don’t quite understand this.

What is the difference? A side by side picture will be fantastic.
Scapegoat is online now   Reply With Quote