The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 February 2021, 01:01 AM   #1
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Middle-age bloke getting in shape

Thought I’d share as this represents a public commitment, which helps with motivation!!

Have enjoyed way too much excess in recent years, this year is about getting back into shape. Over the last few years, all muscle has been lost, pounds of fat has been found, and general fitness has gone south big time!

Instead of taking my normal over-ambitious all-in approach and giving up after two weeks, I’m taking a more mature approach this time!

Stage One is all about losing the fat. Building muscle and gaining fitness whilst losing weight is possible, but hard in my experience. As of 4th January I was 13st.

January target was three-fold:

Lose a stone
Build up some basic fitness
Strengthen my core

Well, I’m down to 11st 12lb so first target achieved. No fad diet, just eating healthier food and less of it. Aside from missing my Friday night curry, after the first couple of weeks, new eating regime has been fine. I also cut out alcohol for January which helped of course.

For basic fitness, I’ve been on the treadmill six days per week. On a Monday i do a 6k run at 12k per hour. Then Tuesday to Saturday I’ve been doing an hours walking at 6k per hour. The purpose of this has been to ensure i do some exercise every day to get into the habit of finding the time, and to build up some basic fitness ready to up the anti in February.

To strengthen my core, i have been doing basic core exercises on a Sunday. The purpose of this has been to prepare myself to start weights without risking injury.

So January has gone well. Now the plan for February.

Targets for February are:

Get down to 11st 7lb
Build up some basic strength
Be able to run 10k easily
Be able to do a five minute plank

I have a plan to achieve this and with the right discipline I’m confident. I will be reintroducing alcohol but in moderation and only at weekends.

Target for March will be more of the same, but getting down to 11st 3lb, at which point i will be in good shape, have an acceptable level of fitness, and a much stronger core. And of course three months of a habit which will stand me in good stead.

That will be basic training complete! Then for the hard stuff. I will then be aiming to put on a stone of muscle by the end of the year. That’s going to be tough because it will require real nutritional dedication!

For the first time i feel like I’m taking a sensible approach to this. Slow and steady wins the race!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 01:03 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Middle-age bloke getting in shape

Great goal! By the way Vince, do incorporate calorie counting and nutrient planning to expedite achieving this goal
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 01:20 AM   #3
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Gee thanks for making the rest of us look lazy and feel bad.

Good luck with it all
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 02:25 AM   #4
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Great goal! By the way Vince, do incorporate calorie counting and nutrient planning to expedite achieving this goal

Yep, will be knocking on the Forum door for advice when the time comes

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 1 February 2021, 02:25 AM   #5
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Gee thanks for making the rest of us look lazy and feel bad.

Good luck with it all

Old 1 February 2021, 02:28 AM   #6
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a good plan !

Consistency is absolute key. Build the weights up steadily with good form and you’ll be fine.

I’m looking forward to getting back to the gym again once they reopen.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 02:33 AM   #7
The Kermit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610LV /OP/GMT
Sounds like a good plan
Old 1 February 2021, 04:05 AM   #8
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Old 1 February 2021, 04:32 AM   #9
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Right on Vince! Keep it up!

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 06:06 AM   #10
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Solid. Looks like a healthy and sustainable plan. Keep up the good work!
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 08:59 AM   #11
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
I’m right there with you. My approach has been even slower, but steady and still making progress. I was 260 in Jan of 2019, 240 to start 2020 and I’m now right around 220 and plan to stay here a while.

I typically also go “all-in,” which usually results in “all-out” at some point. My main goal was to lower my life insurance monthly premium. Goal met. Now time to build back all that muscle I lost while shaving down lbs.

I lost all the weight only by eating better. Now I am exercising. Trying to get back into ski shape. Good luck to you!

JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 12:57 PM   #12
NYC6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 14060M
Most diets work if people stick to them. Good for you Vince for your commitment to reach your goal, sounds like you’re well on the way. I have to lose some also and getting motivated for the work ahead is alluding me right now. Gotta get my head into it the fight.
NYC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 10:43 PM   #13
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Respect to you. I need to do it but can’t get myself moving, lack of will power.
Perhaps it has to get much worse first
Old 2 February 2021, 03:40 AM   #14
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Vince,

As a fellow Brit (Thank you for talking in Stones )

Your post is frightening! It’s like you’ve written an excerpt from my life! I too have become a statistic and let myself go over lockdown and my weight has yo-yo’d over the years.

When my son was born I was 11 stone and as of 1st Jan this year, the scales hit 14.0

I’m a little heavier than you but finally trying to do it ‘properly’ and sensibly. I’ve managed to lose 1 stone, 1lb in Jan which I’m thrilled about. Feb’s goal is try to get as close to 12 stone as possible with an ultimate goal of 11.0 - 11.7. (2.5 - 3 stones lost)

I love long distance running and usually push myself until I get injured and give up. This time it’s sensible 45 minute runs each day coupled with HIIT, Spin classes, punch bag in garage and my first ever attempt at dumbbells.

I’ve subscribed to Apple Fitness+ and absolutely love it! It’s really helped with my consistency. Work + homeschooling a 5 year old is hard enough so it’s enabled me to exercise indoors in the evenings to get through this rubbish British winter!

I’ll keep an eye on your thread for your progress. You have a kindred spirit ‘up North’ going through the same slog as you.

Best of luck!

James.

OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2021, 04:54 AM   #15
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Stick with it. Change will happen but not overnight and don't give up the progress by backsliding.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 08:07 AM   #16
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quick update...

Weight loss ahead of target, down to 11st 2lb.

Really pleased as this has been achieved with a sustainable diet change rather than a ‘diet’.

Now time to focus on increasing strength and muscle mass.

I have exercised six days a week since the start of the year and it is now a normal part of life rather than something i have to force myself to do. In fact, I have to force myself NOT to exercise on Sundays!

My workout schedule for March is...

Mon, Wed, Fri: 9k on the treadmill
Tue, Thu: 30 mins Peloton AM, 1hr weights PM
Sat: 1hr weights

Why 9k instead of 10k...my running speed is 11k per hour, 9k means i have time to warm up and warm down properly in the allotted hour.

The weights routine is evenly split between weights and core exercises. At the moment it’s really focused on building some basic strength, and getting technique right.

During March I will be adapting my diet gradually though the month in readiness for starting to add some muscle mass as of April.

Old 3 March 2021, 10:56 AM   #17
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
That's quite good plan. Very good running speed. 11 km /hr gives 5 : 27 m = 54 min for 10K or 27 min for 5 K. Awesome.
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 12:36 PM   #18
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV C
Excellent to hear! As already stated, definitely get a food scale and count cals. I use My Fitness Pal. Perhaps get on a 5x5 program like starting strength. It only requires about 45 minutes 3 days a week. Keep us posted on your progress!
meloncap78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 01:47 PM   #19
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
The key to exercise is to do something that fits into your daily routine without causing major disruption to work/family/leisure. If it doesn't 'put you out' you will keep doing it.
Eating is a different 'kettle of fish' (excuse pun). We live in a "supersized" era.
How much exercise you get determines how much you need to eat. Most of us eat more than we need. This is particularly true in retirement/old age.
Exercise is 'age-sensitive'. If you try to exercise like a 30 yo when you are 50 you will eventually have problems. It is about recognising your age-limitations and working within that.
Good luck with your program. (from a 70yo who has a long-term successful and workable exercise/eating plan)

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote