The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 February 2021, 05:59 AM   #31
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Have you actually worn or even held a Grand Seiko? There's nothing cheap or tacky about them, especially in the flesh.

Design elements are subjective in many cases (for example, I don't like the Spring Drive meters on dials), but the level of quality/craftsmanship of these timepieces is above reproach.

The fit, finish, feel, weight, lustre etc .... is amazing. And some of the dials are among the most beautiful, innovative and interesting in the industry.
+1
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 08:22 AM   #32
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
It’s not a fit and finish issue. It’s a design issue. They put the same type of text and logos on a $50 Seiko as a $10k grand Seiko. Would like to see them go more elegant. Remove the extra text and logos and adopt the less is more ethos. Although I’m sure they’re much nicer, they still look like a basic $50 Seiko without the backstory on the hand finishing etc it just looks like another Presage with entry level text and logos on dial and case back
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 10:23 AM   #33
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

It's really an amazing watch in dial and movement... Just like the 60th 003..... But I personally can't stand the 80hr line either it comes off very tacky to me.

The thickness thing has been talked about in multiple threads... My perspective when it comes down to case design/thickness is it all goes back to heritage and the "Grammar of Design.". So there's always going to be a limit of how thin they make their watches with these multi faceted style cases. Just IMO.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 01:23 PM   #34
nervosa1901
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
It’s not a fit and finish issue. It’s a design issue. They put the same type of text and logos on a $50 Seiko as a $10k grand Seiko. Would like to see them go more elegant. Remove the extra text and logos and adopt the less is more ethos. Although I’m sure they’re much nicer, they still look like a basic $50 Seiko without the backstory on the hand finishing etc it just looks like another Presage with entry level text and logos on dial and case back
What are you talking about? Clearly you have never seen a GS in person. You make it sound like they are sticking Prospex logos on these. Saying these watches have anything in common with a $50 watch is just ridiculous.
nervosa1901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 02:27 PM   #35
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervosa1901 View Post
What are you talking about? Clearly you have never seen a GS in person. You make it sound like they are sticking Prospex logos on these. Saying these watches have anything in common with a $50 watch is just ridiculous.
Just ignore him. Apparently his taste in watches is entirely predicated on the font and logo lol.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 12:41 AM   #36
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
It’s all good. We like what we like. However, your statement is inaccurate. The text (design/font) is very different on Grand Seiko and Seiko, especially over the last couple of years when the “GS” replaced “Seiko” on the dial, and there are plenty of GS models that have very sparse dials, with no text on the lower half. The brands themselves are light years apart in many other ways too.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 01:57 AM   #37
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
This watch is breathtaking. The dial, the movement. I love it.

As others have said, the new movement also addressed my number one issue, case thickness.

And if that's the case, I hope to get one in March once they start shipping.
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 04:14 AM   #38
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
GS continues to perfect its game. I predict in the years ahead the brand will finally become known to mainstream consumers (like Rolex & Omega are now) and not just the watch community. Lots of potential for more editions to become high-demand collectibles. Many already are. I spoke to the manager of a GS boutique a couple weeks ago. They’re having trouble keeping up with demand for certain references. Waiting lists are the norm.

That is interesting. Which references in particular? Like SBGA413?
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 04:44 AM   #39
thewatchidiot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've heard this complaint before and I never understood it. Most GS models (non quartz) are in the 13mm ballpark for thickness, some a little more and some a little less, with the GMT models on the thicker side. In fact, some of the models are very thin, such as the SBGK00 series, which are 11.6 mm. (I own the SBGK005.)

The thickness seems the roughly the same, on average, as many brands, including Rolex (the 41mm Sub is just under 13mm). And there are many well-known brands, including IWC and Breitling, that sell much thicker watches. The classic Navitmer is 14.6mm thick, for example.

Your comparing sport watches with divers and chronographs. I don’t think this makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thewatchidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 06:23 AM   #40
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewatchidiot View Post
Your comparing sport watches with divers and chronographs. I don’t think this makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure I understand your point. Divers and chronographs ARE sports watches.

My point was that Grand Seikos, in general and including all styles/types of their watches, are no thicker than many other brands, and they offer a lot of watches that are quite thin. You sometimes hear complaints that GS watches are too thick, but when you look at the sizes, they're comparable to many other brands, including Rolex and Omega.

Here's another GS I own, a SBGH273. About the same thickness as a Sub at 12.9mm, and I'd say it wears even thinner than a Sub because of the case design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg GRAND SEIKO SBGH273-TRF.jpeg (228.9 KB, 505 views)
Old 16 February 2021, 06:53 AM   #41
thewatchidiot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not sure I understand your point. Divers and chronographs ARE sports watches.

My point was that Grand Seikos, in general and including all styles/types of their watches, are no thicker than many other brands, and they offer a lot of watches that are quite thin. You sometimes hear complaints that GS watches are too thick, but when you look at the sizes, they're comparable to many other brands, including Rolex and Omega.

Here's another GS I own, a SBGH273. About the same thickness as a Sub at 12.9mm, and I'd say it wears even thinner than a Sub because of the case design.

I’ll try to be more clear as we compare things. A sub at 13 mm thick accommodates 300 m of wr. A chronograph is a thicker movement than a three hander. Why is you GS 13mm then?
I appreciate Gs, had an sbgr301 that I sold cause it was 13.3 mm tall on a 3 hander. That’s uncomfortably tall on a 160mm wrist. However I love the new high beat at 11.7 tall. That’s looking more proportional.
So this is only trying to respond to your statement back to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thewatchidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 07:15 AM   #42
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewatchidiot View Post
I’ll try to be more clear as we compare things. A sub at 13 mm thick accommodates 300 m of wr. A chronograph is a thicker movement than a three hander. Why is you GS 13mm then?
I appreciate Gs, had an sbgr301 that I sold cause it was 13.3 mm tall on a 3 hander. That’s uncomfortably tall on a 160mm wrist. However I love the new high beat at 11.7 tall. That’s looking more proportional.
So this is only trying to respond to your statement back to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ah, OK, understood. Some fair points based on the movements vs. thickness. But I never analyze a watch like that. Either it's comfortable or it's not, regardless of the movement or how thick it is, and regardless whether it's a dress watch or a big diver, or anything in between.

In general, I just don't find a watch that's 13mm to be too thick on my 6.75 inch wrist. And if a Sub is not considered too thick (although I suppose it probably is by some people), not sure why a GS at the same thickness would be considered too thick.
Old 16 February 2021, 10:40 AM   #43
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Wow the case thickness is now 11.7mm, which is more slim than a Spring Drive version. And at 40mm, the dimension is perfect! The movement looks decorated too. Would love to see it!
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 12:30 PM   #44
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Rather than belabor this back and forth I’ll let a couple of photos of my stainless steel GS speak for themselves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F0026F8F-4538-41E2-A9B0-F1C40BFFBF62.jpeg (186.2 KB, 494 views)
File Type: jpeg DFF2E72D-E7B3-45F9-BC06-BF1EC98F482E.jpeg (149.2 KB, 489 views)
Old 16 February 2021, 03:09 PM   #45
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calatravato View Post
Wow-that dial is amazing! If I didn’t have the SLGH003, I would go for it. I can’t wait to see it in person!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I’m considering double dipping, what’s wrong with me
Also in the same boat!! There's nothing wrong with us per se, just a few screws loose... ok maybe a lot of screws
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2021, 01:59 AM   #46
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Rather than belabor this back and forth I’ll let a couple of photos of my stainless steel GS speak for themselves.
That's beautiful! Is that the same case as on the SBGK005? A fabulous old-school design.
Old 17 February 2021, 04:05 AM   #47
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's beautiful! Is that the same case as on the SBGK005? A fabulous old-school design.
Thanks! I’m not familiar with the SBGK005. Mine is the SBGY003 20th Anniversary LE. Nice and thin. No date window. PR on the back. Very comfortable watch!
Old 17 February 2021, 05:13 AM   #48
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
Just ignore him. Apparently his taste in watches is entirely predicated on the font and logo lol.
This.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2021, 01:53 PM   #49
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
No. No. No. seriously? I own every thing across the board except credor and in no way shape or form does a grand Seiko even remotely resemble a presage. They are night and day.
I’ve found your posts since you’ve joined to be bordering on trolling. Do better
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2021, 01:56 PM   #50
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
And that watch looks amazing. Though my $ will go to the 5 day SD that is just around the corner
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2021, 02:26 PM   #51
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Just an opinion. Looks tacky and cheap to me. You like it. It’s all good. Everyone’s got their thing. I don’t like text on dials especially when it’s specs. Redundancy bugs me too. GS does both.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2021, 07:34 PM   #52
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Just an opinion. Looks tacky and cheap to me. You like it. It’s all good. Everyone’s got their thing. I don’t like text on dials especially when it’s specs. Redundancy bugs me too. GS does both.

4 posts in this thread bashing this reference and GS. You really REALLY REALLY don't like it. Okay, we get it.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2021, 12:04 AM   #53
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That's fine, of course. We all have different tastes. However, some of your points are just not logical, IMHO. The vast majority of watches have some sort of text on the dial, including specs. If you don't like the specific font/design of that text on GS watches, that's one thing, but just about every watch brand does what GS does.

For example, how about the near novel on some Rolex dials, with depth ratings and "superlative chronometer, officially certified, " etc ...? My Daytona 16520 has SIX lines of text on it, and my 1665 DRSD has SEVEN lines of text and a big crown. GS dials are sparse by comparison.
Old 18 February 2021, 12:37 AM   #54
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Consider that we are looking at rather poor image (even an excellent photos would have trouble doing justice to many GS dials) in this thread vs the real thing. Having owned several models they often present very different once in hand.

Recommend a Visit to a boutique or AD before final judgement
Old 1 March 2021, 12:29 AM   #55
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
A video from Bark n Jack on this reference. He has invited a gentleman from Seiko UK to talk about the movement.

https://youtu.be/AizAC-qBg28
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 03:04 AM   #56
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Awesome looking watch. I love everything about it except the non tapered bracelet (and the price of course). And THINNER too. Impressive.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 06:40 AM   #57
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
An interesting thought you shared there. Made me go looking.

https://www.seiyajapan.com/pages/the...of-grand-seiko

I learned something I hadn’t known previously - the intense competitive drive that produced the brand we now know. Seiko watches were originally produced by two different subsidiaries.

Daini Seikosha Co and Suwa Seikosha Co. Two different companies vying for leadership - most women's watches were made at Daini in those days. Most men's watches were produced at Suwa.

The First Generation GS -- 1960/8 by Suwa Seikosha Co., 25jewels, manual wind, 3180 -- 18,000bph.

The First King Seiko --1964/09 by Daini Seikosha Co., 27jewels, manual wind, 4420B -- 18,000bph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not entirely true. Most of the manual winds were Daini, both KS and GS. I believe the current mechanical movements are produced in the plant that was Daini Seikosha...

I’d love to see the old thunderbolt return to the dials...
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 06:44 AM   #58
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
The thickness thing has been talked about in multiple threads... My perspective when it comes down to case design/thickness is it all goes back to heritage and the "Grammar of Design.". So there's always going to be a limit of how thin they make their watches with these multi faceted style cases. Just IMO.
The original manual wind grammar of design watches were ridiculously thin. A GS45 (arguably the all-time greatest) is truly tiny.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 07:09 AM   #59
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
The original manual wind grammar of design watches were ridiculously thin. A GS45 (arguably the all-time greatest) is truly tiny.
Why that is interesting indeed. Seems to be around 10mm from my quick search. Super interesting they can get that with this type of case profile/shape... But this was on a 36-37mm case vs the 38mm plus cases today.... So if you take the current manual wind references at at around 38mm-40mm GS references with thickness around 11.5mm.... It's not that they far fetched.

I like everyone else like thin watches so I do think anything taller than the 12.5mm height (unless it's a specialized diver or a very special complication) for the regular sports watches is outside my comfort zone. The new 9s85 is in the right direction... If they can only do something about that 80hr thing on the dial....
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 08:29 AM   #60
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
A video from Bark n Jack on this reference. He has invited a gentleman from Seiko UK to talk about the movement.

https://youtu.be/AizAC-qBg28
I think that video pushed me from a 'maybe' to a 'must own'
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote