The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 1 March 2021, 08:43 AM   #61
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Would love to see this on a strap, think it would pair the mass down a little.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 09:21 AM   #62
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
I think that video pushed me from a 'maybe' to a 'must own'
Same
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 09:40 AM   #63
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Not entirely true. Most of the manual winds were Daini, both KS and GS. I believe the current mechanical movements are produced in the plant that was Daini Seikosha...

I’d love to see the old thunderbolt return to the dials...

Did you read the article and find that the author was wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 12:48 PM   #64
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
I'm very excited to see this model in person. All the different types of finishes across all the surfaces just looks amazing.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 01:00 PM   #65
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
I think that video pushed me from a 'maybe' to a 'must own'
Same here.

I like this new movement - the thinness, and the decorations behind the sapphire crystal. This watch is definitely on my radar.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 02:43 PM   #66
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
It’s not a fit and finish issue. It’s a design issue. They put the same type of text and logos on a $50 Seiko as a $10k grand Seiko. Would like to see them go more elegant. Remove the extra text and logos and adopt the less is more ethos. Although I’m sure they’re much nicer, they still look like a basic $50 Seiko without the backstory on the hand finishing etc it just looks like another Presage with entry level text and logos on dial and case back
No.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 03:15 PM   #67
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Stunning watch. I actually like the movement more than the dial.

I’m a little surprised that so many people have an issue with two lines of text on the dial. Most Rolexes have four lines, and everyone’s favorite chronograph has FIVE lines of text. Doesn’t stop anybody from heaping praise on them. But I accept that we all value different things, and that’s cool.

I just wish it wasn’t so expensive. I think the days are gone when we could say that you get way more than you pay for with GS. Now we’re actually paying fairly for what we get, which is great for GS, less so for us.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 05:07 PM   #68
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

SLGH005, 003, any new 9 series watch is a winner. The proportions are perfect, the movement is beautiful, and the bracelet (despite the lack of a taper) is extremely comfortable. Hopefully GS keeps coming out with new dials to suit everyone’s taste. I think I may actually prefer the sunburst blue to the white birch just for the colour contrast vs the case and bracelet.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 11:50 PM   #69
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
SLGH005, 003, any new 9 series watch is a winner. The proportions are perfect, the movement is beautiful, and the bracelet (despite the lack of a taper) is extremely comfortable. Hopefully GS keeps coming out with new dials to suit everyone’s taste. I think I may actually prefer the sunburst blue to the white birch just for the colour contrast vs the case and bracelet.
I tend to agree. But I may require both
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 08:15 AM   #70
jankymutt
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The B&J video is really helpful and is pushing me to use my savings for the BLRO that I will probably never get from my AD!

I don't mind the redundant logo. The "80 hours" is a little strange but not worse than all the text Rolex and Omega puts all over their dials.

My only gripe is the price seems a bit steep with only a date complication. Yes it has a high beat movement but so does the Zenith Chronomaster Sport for nearly the same price.
Old 2 March 2021, 04:17 PM   #71
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jankymutt View Post
The B&J video is really helpful and is pushing me to use my savings for the BLRO that I will probably never get from my AD!

I don't mind the redundant logo. The "80 hours" is a little strange but not worse than all the text Rolex and Omega puts all over their dials.

My only gripe is the price seems a bit steep with only a date complication. Yes it has a high beat movement but so does the Zenith Chronomaster Sport for nearly the same price.
Completely agree after watching the video. Seeing the snowflake in comparison made the white birch look far superior and dial so much more interesting if that’s even possible vs a snowflake.

Price is my biggest issue as well. I understand the increased price due to the movement and finishing, but can you imagine if this watch was priced in the $6000s? Would be no contest at that price.

Spoke with manager at GS boutique and they mentioned it wasn’t a limited edition, but similar to the 4 seasons collection regarding availability and production.
Vigilante24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 02:15 AM   #72
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
What are thoughts on the lug spacing :bracelet width?

Space between lugs is 22mm vs typicall 20mm for a 40mm case.
Seeing it in person gave me a sense of it being a little out of balance?
Old 3 March 2021, 02:50 AM   #73
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post

It’s an odd choice. Should be 20, 21 if they want to be cute. But I’m very happy with mine 003
Old 3 March 2021, 04:34 AM   #74
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post

I honestly don’t notice it much visually but I find that the bracelet keeps the watch on my wrist very securely - no wriggle at all which I like. I remember when I had a sub that it moved around a bit too much for my liking. Downside I think is I don’t have any 22mm straps but thus far I haven’t been tempted to take it off the bracelet.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 01:29 PM   #75
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Tried the display piece on earlier and that textured dial is jaw dropping gorgeous. The new movement looks great under the loupe for a watch this price. It felt substantial with a nice weight on the wrist. I was told the next shipment will be June or July as the first shipment that just arrived were all sold. Here is a pic.

IMG_03032021_112444_(800_x_1080_pixel).jpg
Old 3 March 2021, 03:45 PM   #76
Watch2019
"TRF" Member

I placed a deposit and was told my watch will arrive between Jun to Sep because of the Covid situation. The watch looked stunning when I tried it on though I wish the bracelet did not appear so chunky. The dial won me over though hehe.
Watch2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 12:50 AM   #77
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Tried the display piece on earlier and that textured dial is jaw dropping gorgeous. The new movement looks great under the loupe for a watch this price. It felt substantial with a nice weight on the wrist. I was told the next shipment will be June or July as the first shipment that just arrived were all sold. Here is a pic.

Attachment 1205997
Wow!
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 01:17 AM   #78
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

The brushed bezel really brings a new level to the watch. It’s my favorite part of the Ltd
Old 4 March 2021, 04:35 AM   #79
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Attachment 1205997
That’s a stunning beauty! Wow!
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 10:08 AM   #80
Burdeens Jewelry
"TRF" Member

Had our client pick up his and he loved it. I love the heft of the bracelet on these new 9RA5 movement pieces. The dial does a good job of differentiating from the Snowflake and the Winter.
Burdeens Jewelry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2021, 12:21 AM   #81
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Tried one of these on yesterday at the GS Boutique in Soho in NYC. Insanely beautiful dial. Hard to capture it in photos. A heavily textured silvery white that sparkles and glistens when you move your wrist. And that blue steel seconds hand pops off the dial.

The 40mm case is great too, with a subtle curve that hugs the wrist, in part because the new design makes it slimmer (11.7mm) than a lot of GS sport watches. (My wrist is 6.75 inches.)

If I had to nitpick, I'd prefer slightly thicker lugs, like on the 62GS cases, and I wish the bracelet was tapered more from the case. It's 22mm to 20mm at the clasp, but the appearance on the wrist is no taper.

All in all, a fabulous new reference. Thinking about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5996.jpeg (166.8 KB, 379 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2021, 06:22 PM   #82
Newbie@SIN
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Attachment 1205997
Did you try it on in the Seiko boutique in Takashimaya? I went to the other one today but not even any display piece is available.
Newbie@SIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 11:33 AM   #83
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie@SIN View Post
Did you try it on in the Seiko boutique in Takashimaya? I went to the other one today but not even any display piece is available.
Last week I went there and they showed me a reserved piece. The dial is outstanding. Very silvery, even under plastic. My problem with this watch is the "chopped" hour hand. Still its a lovely piece. I didn't placed the order because the ordering condition is quite tough. 60% advance deposit and estimate waiting period of one year. I think it's likely just the usual sales rep's BS and declined.
Old 14 March 2021, 10:11 PM   #84
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie@SIN View Post
It was at the Vivo boutique. Apparently I was told the shipment has been delayed to September.
Old 14 March 2021, 11:52 PM   #85
Viper0419
"TRF" Member

I've seen the actual watch.
Frankly its a lot nicer than in pictures. In pictures the dial looks like its made of crushed aluminum sheet. It is a lot more subtle in real and the blue hands is not as obvious as it is quite slim.
need to adjust your expectation slightly before you view it as we have been looking a blown up macros of the watch.
Viper0419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 10:46 AM   #86
Dcraig
"TRF" Member

Picking mine up tomorrow. My SBGA413 got me hooked on GS, and when this came out I jumped on it. Will post pics/opinion on watch tomorrow as I have yet to see it in person. Pushing my size limit with a 6.5in wrist but shouldn’t wear larger than my DJ41 which I seem to pull off ok.
Dcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 04:33 PM   #87
bleek
"TRF" Member

Dang, gave up a deposit on this cause I was on the fence and bought a snowflake. Guess I need to put one down again as this looks incredible!
bleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 07:16 PM   #88
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcraig View Post
Picking mine up tomorrow. My SBGA413 got me hooked on GS, and when this came out I jumped on it. Will post pics/opinion on watch tomorrow as I have yet to see it in person. Pushing my size limit with a 6.5in wrist but shouldn’t wear larger than my DJ41 which I seem to pull off ok.

Great, we will be looking forward to your photos and comments!

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 09:03 PM   #89
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Put on a simpler hour hand (just like any classic KS/GS) and taper the bracelet and you've pretty much got the perfect watch.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2021, 03:22 AM   #90
Dcraig
"TRF" Member

As promised...

First let me start by saying those are quick pics and neither one does this watch justice as most folks have said..I'm going to need to play with my camera in certain lights to fully capture this watch. When the right light hits it the dial explodes. If I could compare it to any texture/color its probably closest to a meteorite dial -- its definitely not white, and "silver" is also not completely accurate.

First impressions: Very, very impressed. The weight is much different than I am used to with GS, being that my other piece is titanium(sbga413). As one of the GS videos said -- the brand introduced me to "light" still being luxurious. This one feels heavier and more substantial than my DJ41 on wrist. I actually have no problem with the very slight, almost invisible taper of the bracelet. I think it feels very well-made. The movement through the exhibition case back is top notch. The top of the bezel is finished in such a way that it looks electric when in the right light, further complimenting the dial. The larger indicies really draw attention to GS' attention to detail more so than their other watches....all in all...this is a knockout blow folks. This one is going to make it damn near impossible to put my DJ41 on. So BOTL for that in the For Sale forums soon, lol. Just have a feeling...
Dcraig is offline   Reply With Quote