The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 February 2021, 01:07 PM   #31
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
I can understand wanting more taper but I’m surprised how many feel the bracelets are unsubstantial. They seem well made and sturdy to me.

I wonder if’s just a side by side comparison with the over engineered six digit Rolex bracelets. Are people just weighing the heft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think GS bracelets are very well made. It’s not really about the heft, more just the elegance and feel of a tapered bracelet that I prefer.

The smaller machined clasp also is nicer than stamped ones that are big.

Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 01:15 PM   #32
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
The Lion is never on the dial with the logo and text, only on the back, although maybe you don't want anything on the back either.

Many of the criticisms in this thread would apply to almost every watch brand, and as noted, Rolex often has far more text on their dials. (My 1665 Sea-Dweller has a whopping eight lines on the dial, including the crown logo.)

As for thickness, GS is really no different than other brands, with a variety of thicknesses on different models. And the OP's GMT is still thinner than the classic 16600 Sea-Dweller (15mm), and the modern SDs and DSs are even thicker.

Here's my SBGK005 at only 11.6mm thick, and a very minimalist dial. Not trying to sell the brand because much of this is subjective, but GS does offer a great variety that addresses most of these individual complaints.

Others already said it, but yea it needs to be a like to like comparison.

Pepsi/Batman is 12mm thick with a rotating bezel and GMT complication. SBGE257 is 14.7mm thick with a gmt complication and fixed bezel. SBGJ237 is 14.4mm thick with GMT and rotating bezel.

The SD is better compared to the SLGA001, which has 600m water resistance and is 16mm thick whereas the SD is almost 18mm thick.

GS dress watches and their 3 hand watches it’s definitely much closer, though still a tad on the thicker side.

Old 24 February 2021, 11:48 PM   #33
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
Comparing a manual wind, dress watch with no water resistance like the SBGK005 to a SD makes no sense. Like for like by complication GS watches are too thick. Though that's changing with the new hi-beat movement and hopefully the new spring drive movement that's coming soon.
I wasn't comparing those two watches. I was pointing out that GS does make some watches that are thin, and that other models are thicker, which is pretty much like every other watch brand. GS is no different in that regard. A movement-to-movement comparison vs. thickness is a different discussion.

GS of course also offers many watches with quartz movements, and those are all significantly thinner across the board.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 12:36 AM   #34
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wasn't comparing those two watches. I was pointing out that GS does make some watches that are thin, and that other models are thicker, which is pretty much like every other watch brand. GS is no different in that regard. A movement-to-movement comparison vs. thickness is a different discussion.

GS of course also offers many watches with quartz movements, and those are all significantly thinner across the board.
“Thin” is relative. 11.5mm may be considered thin for GS standards, but when you compare to other high end brands it is not. Having thicker, more chunky dimensions is perfectly fine. But when you start moving upmarket, making more dressy pieces and charging over $10k for certain offerings, having a 11.5mm time only is not really acceptable.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 12:41 AM   #35
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Frankly, I don’t really see how it’s debatable. Objectively, GS make thicker watches. Their sport watches are thicker than rivals like Rolex. Their dressy/time only models are much thicker than brands like Breguet (who’s space you are encroaching on with offerings over $10k).

You can say this is fine and you don’t mind it the thickness. But in relation to other brands, their offerings are chunky across the board.

Old 25 February 2021, 01:52 AM   #36
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Frankly, I don’t really see how it’s debatable. Objectively, GS make thicker watches. Their sport watches are thicker than rivals like Rolex. Their dressy/time only models are much thicker than brands like Breguet (who’s space you are encroaching on with offerings over $10k).

You can say this is fine and you don’t mind it the thickness. But in relation to other brands, their offerings are chunky across the board.
It's not debatable. GS makes thick watches. Everyone, or at least almost everyone, knows this. The important point is that this is changing with the new movements.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 02:10 AM   #37
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's not debatable. GS makes thick watches. Everyone, or at least almost everyone, knows this. The important point is that this is changing with the new movements.
Right. My only gripe is the interesting dials continue to be housed in the larger cases. Selfishly, I would love to see something like the birch dial in a SGBW case.

Old 25 February 2021, 03:48 AM   #38
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It is debatable because what one watch lover finds as thick (or too thick), others find perfectly fine. Same goes for case size. Some guys are fine with 42mm cases, other guys find anything over 40mm too big. Is a Rolex Deep Sea at 17.7mm thick (too thick)? For me, yes, it's a hockey puck. However, plenty of guys disagree with me and wear them comfortably.

If GS watches are too thick for you, that's fine, of course, but that doesn't mean everyone agrees. And across the board, the dimensions are in line with other brands.
Old 25 February 2021, 04:21 AM   #39
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And across the board, the dimensions are in line with other brands.
No, they are not. You won’t find a GS mechanical GMT under 14mm.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 05:43 AM   #40
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No, they are not. You won’t find a GS mechanical GMT under 14mm.
That's one type of watch out of many. They also make plenty of mechanical watches that are closer to 13mm, and even under. My SBGH273 is 12.9mm. For a 40mm watch, that's very average. By random comparison with a date-only watch, the Omega Aquaterra is 13.5mm thick.

Maybe GS GMTs are on the thicker side compared to other brands, but I was referring to the entire line, on average.
Old 25 February 2021, 06:20 AM   #41
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Almost 13mm for a watch with only a date function is not helping your case. Also, Omega are known to make overly thick watches too.

A Blancpain Villaret with a date is 8.7mm thick. A Breguet Classique with a date is 7.2mm thick. A JLC MC with a date is 8.8mm thick. A Rolex DJ is 11.5mm.

Time only models are comparatively worse.

Old 25 February 2021, 07:03 AM   #42
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Almost 13mm for a watch with only a date function is not helping your case. Also, Omega are known to make overly thick watches too.

A Blancpain Villaret with a date is 8.7mm thick. A Breguet Classique with a date is 7.2mm thick. A JLC MC with a date is 8.8mm thick. A Rolex DJ is 11.5mm.

Time only models are comparatively worse.
And yet, I would take a GS over any of those you mentioned or any of the watches in your signature, except maybe the BLNR.

Point being, there are different tastes and levels of appreciation for different watches. What you see as “overly thick”, others see as robust with beautiful case sculpting and fine Zaratsu polishing. Not everything has to fit the same mold, and not everything is about millimeters.

GS isn’t for you. That’s fine.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 07:40 AM   #43
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
My biggest gripes are the chunky cheap looking bracelets and the excessive repetitive lower end script on the dials and case back. Just makes them look cheap and needy to me.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 08:17 AM   #44
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
And yet, I would take a GS over any of those you mentioned or any of the watches in your signature, except maybe the BLNR.

Point being, there are different tastes and levels of appreciation for different watches. What you see as “overly thick”, others see as robust with beautiful case sculpting and fine Zaratsu polishing. Not everything has to fit the same mold, and not everything is about millimeters.

+1. We get it.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 09:07 AM   #45
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have no "case." Just stating facts. Yes, some brands make thinner watches, we know that. But that is not the same as saying GS and Omega watches are too thick, with which I don't agree. It's very subjective. Plenty of guys would argue Panerai's watches are not too big/thick either.

Anyway, for me, it's all about the dial, case design and overall craftsmanship of GS watches that are often very appealing. Thickness is a consideration, of course, but certainly not a primary one.
Old 25 February 2021, 09:07 AM   #46
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

Fantastic. Expect that's not the point. The point is that GS make thicker watches. That's it. There is no subjectivity in my statements. I'm not trying to say you shouldn't like them. I'm not saying this should dissuade anyone from buying a GS. I'm not saying they should mimick other brands.

Old 25 February 2021, 09:19 AM   #47
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have no "case." Just stating facts. Yes, some brands make thinner watches, we know that. But that is not the same as saying GS and Omega watches are too thick, with which I don't agree. It's very subjective. Plenty of guys would argue Panerai's watches are not too big/thick either.

Anyway, for me, it's all about the dial, case design and overall craftsmanship of GS watches that are often very appealing. Thickness is a consideration, of course, but certainly not a primary one.
I'm shying away from saying their watches are "too" thick. To your point, people like what they like. GS watches are fantastic all around and represent great value for money, I'm not saying anything otherwise.

I'm just pointing out there is room for improvement should they want to make thinner watches. Again, they might feel this is unnecessary or doesn't fit their overall aesthetics. That is fine too.

Old 25 February 2021, 10:07 AM   #48
Trog
Banned

I like'em big!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z0r.jpg (292.2 KB, 61 views)
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 01:22 PM   #49
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Not to become a GS bashing thread. I love GS and they make fantastic watches and offer a lot that other watch brands don’t.

The level of quality and craftsmanship is unreal to me compared to similarly priced watches. The Zaratsu polishing, the depth of dials, the multi-faceted indices and hour/minute hand, and of course Spring Drive that is decades ahead of any other movement in the world (my opinion).

And yes thicker + bigger diameter watches can certainly be a preference. Same with non-tapered bracelets. But don’t think there’s any case or argument that their watches are on the thick side when it comes to specs. That’s just a fact. If you take a look at all their watches and figure out the average thickness by complication/feature, GS will be in the 1-3mm thicker compared to other brands. Most people do not prefer thicker watches. I’m one of those people.
Old 25 February 2021, 01:57 PM   #50
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Not to become a GS bashing thread. I love GS and they make fantastic watches and offer a lot that other watch brands don’t.

The level of quality and craftsmanship is unreal to me compared to similarly priced watches. The Zaratsu polishing, the depth of dials, the multi-faceted indices and hour/minute hand, and of course Spring Drive that is decades ahead of any other movement in the world (my opinion).

And yes thicker + bigger diameter watches can certainly be a preference. Same with non-tapered bracelets. But don’t think there’s any case or argument that their watches are on the thick side when it comes to specs. That’s just a fact. If you take a look at all their watches and figure out the average thickness by complication/feature, GS will be in the 1-3mm thicker compared to other brands. Most people do not prefer thicker watches. I’m one of those people.
Shhhhh. You're not allowed to state that undeniable fact here without people clutching their zaratsu polished pearls and fainting.