The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 February 2021, 02:18 PM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Can a PP knowledgable person explain to a Dorklehead like me..WHY cut the Nautilus?

I am not a PP owner (someday) and I have viewed a bunch of videos on YouTube, I even read the interview with the PP GM explaining why they are discontinuing it, but I still don’t get it. The 5711 was one of the most sought after watches on the planet. The Gray markups easily rivaled Rolex SS sport models. Why... WHY would you discontinue an icon?

I admit to being a Dorklehead, so someone, please, present it in a way even I can understand.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 02:35 PM   #2
daysky1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I am not a PP owner (someday) and I have viewed a bunch of videos on YouTube, I even read the interview with the PP GM explaining why they are discontinuing it, but I still don’t get it. The 5711 was one of the most sought after watches on the planet. The Gray markups easily rivaled Rolex SS sport models. Why... WHY would you discontinue an icon?

I admit to being a Dorklehead, so someone, please, present it in a way even I can understand.
One thing about life is it is constantly changing. Sometimes it makes sense to us and sometimes it doesn't.
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 02:46 PM   #3
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
It is not cut, the 5711 will be replaced with another entry Nautilus.

What you could have read is that Patek is limiting the production of Nautilus, because they do not want to be seen as a one model brand.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 03:28 PM   #4
Pateks
Banned

So they can replace with a more expensive version and it was over a decade old.
Pateks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 04:36 PM   #5
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Why did Rolex discontinue the old Submariner and introduce a new one with a huge price hike to go with it? To capture more of those gray markup margins than they did before. Simple as that.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 05:40 PM   #6
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
Why did Rolex discontinue the old Submariner and introduce a new one with a huge price hike to go with it? To capture more of those gray markup margins than they did before. Simple as that.
Bingo!
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 09:53 PM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
In a nutshell it's because people like you are interested in it now, no disrespect to you obviously Paul, but Thierry is old school and wants the brand to be known for and centered in its grander complications and in high horology and the Nautilus's base popularism is taking over the brand and its equity.

As Michael says above I do think it will merely be replaced, I don't think Thierry has the commercial balls to really disappear this golden egg.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 10:31 PM   #8
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 5711 was one of the most sought after watches on the planet. WHY would you discontinue an icon?
To keep it this way.
Old 27 February 2021, 11:04 PM   #9
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Game playing and a new watch will replace it to more hype and limited availability.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 11:17 PM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Oh, PP is keeping the model, but it seems all the PR about stopping producing just one single version is causing lots of press. PP needs press, all they can get.

As we all know, PP desperately needs to release new movements, new tech, etc, which has been sorely lacking within the company's normal mass-produced pieces they sell to customers. Other brands have been far surpassing PP for many years (FPJ, ALS, Bvlgari, etc), so PP is playing catchup at this point.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 11:33 PM   #11
Berettameier
"TRF" Member

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/patek-p...us-5711-watch/
Berettameier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 11:46 AM   #12
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Oh, PP is keeping the model, but it seems all the PR about stopping producing just one single version is causing lots of press. PP needs press, all they can get.

As we all know, PP desperately needs to release new movements, new tech, etc, which has been sorely lacking within the company's normal mass-produced pieces they sell to customers. Other brands have been far surpassing PP for many years (FPJ, ALS, Bvlgari, etc), so PP is playing catchup at this point.

Sorry but that’s absolutely ridiculous. PP doesn’t need press, far from it. And they are far from playing catch-up to brands such as you mentioned, especially Bulgari (who don’t even make their own movements but happily take all the credit)!
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 04:25 PM   #13
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

I don’t see how *replacing* the 5711 does anything to reduce interest in the steel/sports lines. The new model will likely be more desirable version of the three hander with a date than the 5711. Agree this has the benefit of allowing a higher MSRP. It also slightly spreads speculation focus among the old and new model.

As I said elsewhere, it’s a shame Patek doesn’t put more of its efforts into its classic lines.
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 11:17 PM   #14
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

To keep the “marionette game” going
Old 1 March 2021, 12:00 AM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
And they are far from playing catch-up to brands such as you mentioned
PP does indeed lag behind FPJ and ALS. Ask around.

I'm looking fwd to PP proving me totally wrong with new modern advanced-tech movements, which have the creativity of the Rolex Sky-Dweller or something ultra-thin-yet-durable like Bvlgari. Goodness knows PP has had at least a decade or so to catch up to others, so this would be the time to finally do something very unique, and dare we ask, something revolutionary that is a 'game-changer'. Am sure they can do it given the many years of time to create it, if they wanted to of course.

So yes, am looking fwd to PP proving me wrong, and I'm ready to get back into PP, yet only if the quality and creativity is there to surpass FPJ and ALS (for example). A five-year warranty is the minimum nowadays for any high-end manufacturer imho.

The Bvlgari with a very impressive and comfy bracelet is only $12k msrp and comes with a nice long warranty, what does PP have that comes close to the Octo FS with 100-meter WP for twice that price?

Bvlgari_Octo_Finissimo_S_diag.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 04:48 AM   #16
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Disagree about lack of “tech” being important and also disagree that these are “mass produced”

Based on the continuum of hand finishing standards, which to me is the primary art I’m interested in, Patek has consistently been superior to those brands you listed - ALS has better finishing for a while sub ~400k (however there was a time ALS didn’t finish non visible parts as well as visible parts)

Dollar per dollar Patek provides value in the finishing space to compete with any traditional wristwatch maker (again ALS is better here but they don’t make a traditional wristwatch movement and even if I stipulate that they did, there are plenty of other regards where Patek is superior to Lange as to justify the value proposition - Lange is great though as are the brands you listed). Obviously there is better finishing available sub 400k in Switzerland from independents like Rexhepi dufour Laurent ferrier and many others, but they cost more when comparing level of complication to complication. VC and AP certainly offer no better finishing, similar at best.

As far as tech - I am uninterested in new tech in what I buy for nostalgic beauty, and I actually would prefer movements were just made as close to as they were in 1950s as possible. I am not the only consumer with this opinion. I wish my Patek had a metal balance spring, for example.

Where I do agree with you is tech as it relates to aesthetics. Meaning it’s disgraceful that many of the current perpetual calendar and perpetual caliber chrono have shrunken numbers to upsize the case but use old or shared movements at that cost. Or that the 5196 uses the wrong sized movements.
Old 1 March 2021, 04:52 AM   #17
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
It’s not being cut. The 6711 will be out shortly. It’s time for an upgrade - also 45th year anniversary
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 05:49 AM   #18
scurfa
"TRF" Member

They are getting rid of it because everyone that goes to an AD asks for one then storms out in a huff when they get laughed at!
Old 1 March 2021, 05:50 AM   #19
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
PP does indeed lag behind FPJ and ALS. Ask around.

I'm looking fwd to PP proving me totally wrong with new modern advanced-tech movements, which have the creativity of the Rolex Sky-Dweller or something ultra-thin-yet-durable like Bvlgari. Goodness knows PP has had at least a decade or so to catch up to others, so this would be the time to finally do something very unique, and dare we ask, something revolutionary that is a 'game-changer'. Am sure they can do it given the many years of time to create it, if they wanted to of course.

So yes, am looking fwd to PP proving me wrong, and I'm ready to get back into PP, yet only if the quality and creativity is there to surpass FPJ and ALS (for example). A five-year warranty is the minimum nowadays for any high-end manufacturer imho.

The Bvlgari with a very impressive and comfy bracelet is only $12k msrp and comes with a nice long warranty, what does PP have that comes close to the Octo FS with 100-meter WP for twice that price?

Attachment 1205442
I know it’s just me but each time you post pics of that Octo I just think Yuk. Sorry, but at least you like it and that’s the only thing that counts. My $12,000 will be going to Patek, but enjoy your Octo in good health.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 06:47 AM   #20
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai-man View Post
I know it’s just me but each time you post pics of that Octo I just think Yuk. Sorry, but at least you like it and that’s the only thing that counts. My $12,000 will be going to Patek, but enjoy your Octo in good health.
I believe Steven just needs to promote starting a Bulgari subgroup. The Octo is not appealing to me either.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 06:48 AM   #21
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
They are getting rid of it because everyone that goes to an AD asks for one then storms out in a huff when they get laughed at!
And a new version will fix all that?
Old 1 March 2021, 07:18 AM   #22
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
i believe steven just needs to promote starting a bulgari subgroup. The octo is not appealing to me either.
+1
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 08:49 AM   #23
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoamerican View Post
And a new version will fix all that?

Short term cash injection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 March 2021, 08:53 AM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Bait and switch ... there will be one to replace it
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 11:06 AM   #25
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Moves like this ensure PP are always up the top in auction results.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 11:30 AM   #26
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I think Stern knows exactly what is in the best interest of the brand and he eloquently stated it several occasions. IMO I agree that the Nautilus should not define the brand and while it’s fun to be a champion in the sports watch category, the brand enjoys competing elsewhere.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 12:32 PM   #27
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai-man View Post
i know it’s just me but each time you post pics of that octo i just think yuk. Sorry, but at least you like it and that’s the only thing that counts. My $12,000 will be going to patek, but enjoy your octo in good health.
+1
Old 1 March 2021, 12:35 PM   #28
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I think Stern knows exactly what is in the best interest of the brand and he eloquently stated it several occasions. IMO I agree that the Nautilus should not define the brand and while it’s fun to be a champion in the sports watch category, the brand enjoys competing elsewhere.
How does replacing the nautilus with a new nautilus accomplish that?
Old 1 March 2021, 03:02 PM   #29
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because it makes people think and say exactly that, while Thierry Stern still gets to eat the cake too by selling the new Nautilus.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 09:16 PM   #30
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
Because it makes people think and say exactly that, while Thierry Stern still gets to eat the cake too by selling the new Nautilus.
We shall see. I think Stern legitimately threads the needle if the 6711 is not in SS and is a PM exclusive.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote