The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
How hard is it to get a Oyster band for a Datejust?

I just got a DateJust 116200 with super jubilee band and I Love the watch except I can't find a perfect fit on the band. My baume-et-mercie Capeland S band fits like a glove but the super jubilee band it seems to just not fit right.
I love the hidden clasp and look of it and it is the reason I had to have this band even though most people don't think it looks right on a smooth bezel..
My question is there anyway to get a new Oyster band from a AD and how much would it cost me? I still want the original band but a extra Oyster band would just be the cherry on the cakE!!
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2011, 12:58 PM   #2
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
its probably cheaper & far easier to trade for a DJ that has an oyster band... RSC may swap bracelets, but the cost would set you back over 1,200$ & you don't get to keep the jubilee...
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseco View Post
its probably cheaper & far easier to trade for a DJ that has an oyster band... RSC may swap bracelets, but the cost would set you back over 1,200$
The thing is I do not want to trade.. I want a extra band and keep the super jubilee band just in case.. Maybee I just need to play around with the links..
The oyster band has micro adjustment where I think that would help but I could be wrong..
Old 10 April 2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
An Oyster bracelet isn't easy to source, but it can be done... Rolex and Dealers don't usually sell parts to individuals..

As mentioned, it will set you back about a thousand bucks, but it does give you a different look and keeps your watch interesting...

Old 10 April 2011, 01:12 PM   #5
horseco
"TRF" Member

unfortunately, you cant just buy an oyster bracelet... & finding a used one is like finding a.... I have said this before... I don't think there is anything harder to find...
Old 10 April 2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
The thing is I do not want to trade.. I want a extra band and keep the super jubilee band just in case.. Maybee I just need to play around with the links..
The oyster band has micro adjustment where I think that would help but I could be wrong..
Check with your Dealer.. The Jubilee band has a 1 1/2 link available just for fine-adjustment...
Old 10 April 2011, 01:39 PM   #7
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Go to Tourneau Time Machine and go to the service counter. If its not sitting in the showcase, its behind the counter.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2011, 12:29 AM   #8
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

So if I call Rolex and tell them my watch band got cough in a fence or something snagged and broke they will not send me a new bracelet?
Old 11 April 2011, 12:31 AM   #9
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

What's the serial or model number for the oyster band on a date just 36mm?
Old 11 April 2011, 12:37 AM   #10
Rolex Junky
Banned

Watch: 116710LN & 116201
Ss= 72200
tt= 72201
Rolex Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2011, 12:55 AM   #11
horseco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So if I call Rolex and tell them my watch band got cough in a fence or something snagged and broke they will not send me a new bracelet?
I think they want the broken pieces before they swap...
Old 11 April 2011, 02:50 AM   #12
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
For free? No
Old 11 April 2011, 05:10 AM   #13
Tools

Quote:
No... They will likely tell you to take to your nearest Dealer to evaluate... If they decide it needs replacement, it will be sent in and they will replace the bracelet and charge you for it since this is not a manufacturing defect..
Old 11 April 2011, 05:54 AM   #14
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In the US an AD cannot get a bracelet shipped to them as a part. Your choices from Rolex are:
1) Take your watch to a Rolex Service Center (RSC) without the bracelet and ask them for a new one. If the bracelet you request is correct for your model and after they inspect your watch inside in out and deem it to be 100% Rolex with no aftermarket parts, they will furnish you a bracelet.
2) Take to and AD. The AD will have to ship it to a RSC and process in step 1) takes place.
Hope this helps
CD
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2011, 01:42 AM   #15
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Check with your Dealer.. The Jubilee band has a 1 1/2 link available just for fine-adjustment...

I think This is exactly what I need. Does anyone have a picture of there super jubilee band with this 1.25 link? I tried searching but could not find a pic!
Old 12 April 2011, 02:33 AM   #16
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
In the US an AD cannot get a bracelet shipped to them as a part. Your choices from Rolex are:
1) Take your watch to a Rolex Service Center (RSC) without the bracelet and ask them for a new one. If the bracelet you request is correct for your model and after they inspect your watch inside in out and deem it to be 100% Rolex with no aftermarket parts, they will furnish you a bracelet.
2) Take to and AD. The AD will have to ship it to a RSC and process in step 1) takes place.
Hope this helps
CD
Just to make sure my previous statement wasn't incorrect, I called Tourneau this morning and was told that if they don't have it in stock, it can be ordered. They had quite a few bracelets in the display last week but not for a 36mm DJ
Old 12 April 2011, 03:30 AM   #17
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

I just stopped at a AD close to my work that have ALOT of rolexes on display and have a watchmaker on site and he told me that they DO NOT make 1.25 links for the super jubilee braclet.. can someone confirm a part # or anything?
Old 12 April 2011, 08:01 AM   #18
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Just to make sure my previous statement wasn't incorrect, I called Tourneau this morning and was told that if they don't have it in stock, it can be ordered. They had quite a few bracelets in the display last week but not for a 36mm DJ
That is interesting. Sure they can order by sending your watch to RSC or a watch like it.. My statements are directly from the RSC and not just someone at the front desk either. Are the bracelets in their display new? If so, go to this place and look closely at the clasp. Without going into the details why, when RSC USA gets a watch head and checks it out, the bracelet comes back with the SN of the watch engraved on the clasp. As seen here:

They did not service this watch, only supplied a bracelet.

I see you are in NY City and I assume Tourneau you called is in the city. It is just a hop skip over to the RSC with your Rolex head to get one. Call the RSC in NY and ask for the service manager and ask the same question. It would be interesting to see what response you get from Rolex.
Cheers
CD
Old 12 April 2011, 08:26 AM   #19
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
That is interesting. Sure they can order by sending your watch to RSC or a watch like it.. My statements are directly from the RSC and not just someone at the front desk either. Are the bracelets in their display new? If so, go to this place and look closely at the clasp. Without going into the details why, when RSC USA gets a watch head and checks it out, the bracelet comes back with the SN of the watch engraved on the clasp. As seen here:

They did not service this watch, only supplied a bracelet.

I see you are in NY City and I assume Tourneau you called is in the city. It is just a hop skip over to the RSC with your Rolex head to get one. Call the RSC in NY and ask for the service manager and ask the same question. It would be interesting to see what response you get from Rolex.
Cheers
CD
They have brand new, oem bracelets on display in their service department. The person i spoke to was willing to take the order by phone since they didn't have this particular one in stock.
Old 12 April 2011, 08:33 AM   #20
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They have brand new, oem bracelets on display in their service department. The person i spoke to was willing to take the order by phone since they didn't have this particular one in stock.
I guess they are special. The ADs in the part of the country I have been lately: FL and Texas can only get them by the process I described. ADs and Watchmakers with Rolex Part accounts can only get links. To get a bracelet it has to go to the service center. I bet all the ADs would like to know how to get this privilege that they have from Rolex.
Old 12 April 2011, 09:09 AM   #21
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

I've had good luck at Ebay. My 16200 came with Oyster but I also wanted a Jubilee. Paid $250 for authentic. Of course, endpieces are probably not exactly the right ones, but it is for me only and the bracelet works. And it didn't set me back a grand...
bigwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2011, 11:15 AM   #22
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did they tell you how much it costs?
Old 12 April 2011, 12:05 PM   #23
kokota
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
They do have quite a few Rolex bracelets in stock, but hardly ever in a 20mm SS.
About 1 year ago I went there and asked for a 78360. They said no problem and that it would take 2 weeks.
Long story short....about 8 weeks later, after MANY phone calls I was told that my bracelet was in and to come in and pick it up.
Upon arrival they presented me with an oyster bracelet for a 26mm DJ.
I just walked away frustrated.
kokota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2011, 12:21 PM   #24
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokota View Post
They do have quite a few Rolex bracelets in stock, but hardly ever in a 20mm SS.
About 1 year ago I went there and asked for a 78360. They said no problem and that it would take 2 weeks.
Long story short....about 8 weeks later, after MANY phone calls I was told that my bracelet was in and to come in and pick it up.
Upon arrival they presented me with an oyster bracelet for a 26mm DJ.
I just walked away frustrated.
What kind of place is this Tourneau? Did you take a trip over to RSC NY and get one fitted?
Old 12 April 2011, 12:25 PM   #25
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What kind of place is this Tourneau? Did you take a trip over to RSC NY and get one fitted?
Tourneau is like a department store for watches.(chain store)
They are prob the biggest watch store in NYC..
Funny how the tourneau in the garden state plaza in pramus does not even carry new rolexes.. I heard it is because Ross simmmons is a ad and rolex only allows 1 per mall.. Don't know if there is any truth to that though..
Old 7 May 2011, 10:58 AM   #26
Justjosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: This
Quote:
This line of thinking cracked me up. If I was a RSC and you showed up telling me that while you were jumping a fence, your bracelet caught and snapped (I know thats not exactly what you said)... I'd be checking the serial number to make sure you weren't jumping that fence after grabbing someone elses Rolex!
Justjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2011, 12:05 PM   #27
Rolex2

I would check out ebay, as someone else said. You have to educate yourself a bit, know what you're doing and how to recognize authenticity. You can save bucks on ebay.
Rolex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2011, 12:11 PM   #28
smartson
"TRF" Member

I saw a used one for sales by a watchmaker in Hong Kong. He repaired bracelet for few members here and is well respected.

http://www.classicwatchparts.com/cat...roducts_id=123

Seiko SDGM001
smartson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2011, 04:47 AM   #29
smartson
"TRF" Member

My bad, yours is a new model DJ so the band above is not for you.
Forget about free replacement from AD. I've seen new DJ Oyster band on the Bay that went for ~USD1,100
Seiko SDGM001
smartson is offline   Reply With Quote