The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 August 2008, 03:06 AM   #61
veefour
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbits76 View Post
x2

To the OP, you didn't have to divulge the story specifics to the guys here. They should have believed you and I (and others I would imagine) can only offer an apology for your mistreatment on the behalf of those with the trust issues.

Please stick around and enjoy TRF.

J
x2
Old 17 August 2008, 03:07 AM   #62
veefour
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane from s.c. View Post
Sad story. I wish the story had gone: The scum bag entered the room, I grabbed my Glock. Fired once, the scum bag has a very large hole in chest... he live about 30 seconds. I have no use for scum of the earth.

I hope you get your watch back!

Lane
???
Old 17 August 2008, 03:55 AM   #63
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Please let's NOT turn this into another gun debate. It's a watch forum and let's keep it that way pls.
Matt

Sorry. I have no issue with folk who collect guns and I have raised this issue with the mods and had a response.

This however is not a gun issue. This is a murderous intent issue.

I would not want to participate on a forum where people value a crappy bloody watch over the life of a human being!

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2008, 05:04 AM   #64
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and President
I and others jumped the gun on this, but to say that someone (with 1 post) should be automatically believed when several thought the story was a little odd is naive. After all, it's a thread about NOT being able to trust everyone. My concern was the possiblilty that the guy had stolen someone else's watch and was trying make sure it wouldn't pop up in some database as stolen if he tried to pawn it. However, my thinking on the issue has been corrected. But seriously, the stump speeches from members apologizing on other's behalf are a bit much and honestly aren't taking the thread anywhere.

The details to the story were good to get out there since it can show how to prevent it from happening with others in the future in my opinion. I've a cruise coming up and it's made me think about some precautions that I wouldn't have otherwise.
In search of DayDate
Prior models... Just about everything.
Chozn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2008, 05:07 AM   #65
SubDiver

Watch: TT Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by yallr View Post
I'm very sorry to read your story. Most posts on the Rolex Forum are of a positive nature. That being the case, sharing your experience is greatly appreciated. I see no malicious intent on your part.

I recently purchased a Rolex, travel fequently, and will certainly keep your unfortunate experience in mind.

After reading your detailed description, you were a victum of a professional thief. I would be surprised if the resort has not experienced this problem before. This sounds like an well orginized effort, especially with the act taking place while you were asleep. Its frightening to think this parasite did not harm you. They probably knew your wife was returning shortly. With todays communication technology, many thefts are blatantly successful.

The management should offer something to help. In the meantime, I suggest you replace your watch as soon as possible and put this unfortunate experience behind you.

Thank You
The management did offer something to help, all rooms at this resort have sturdy safes in them. I know because I stayed there and kept my watch in the safe. For someone to come in and break into your safe while you slept seems a bit far fetched. Unless you were comatose.
SubDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2008, 05:07 AM   #66
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozn1 View Post
I and others jumped the gun on this, but to say that someone (with 1 post) should be automatically believed when several thought the story was a little odd is naive. After all, it's a thread about NOT being able to trust everyone. My concern was the possiblilty that the guy had stolen someone else's watch and was trying make sure it wouldn't pop up in some database as stolen if he tried to pawn it. However, my thinking on the issue has been corrected. But seriously, the stump speeches from members apologizing on other's behalf are a bit much and honestly aren't taking the thread anywhere.

The details to the story were good to get out there since it can show how to prevent it from happening with others in the future in my opinion. I've a cruise coming up and it's made me think about some precautions that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Sorry man, I disagree. Would you have wanted to hang around here if you were treated in the same manner.

You (and a few others) implied the guy was a thief when his space had been invaded and his personal belongings were stolen!

I'm sorry you did that and I wanted to apologise on behalf of those who didn't trust him as I wouldn't want to be tarred with the same brush!

Maybe I was wrong to but I still think you were out of line!

Jim
Old 17 August 2008, 05:11 AM   #67
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Yeah well I don't need to continue to hear about how out of line I was from you, pal. I apologized, thanked him for telling his story, and offered advice. Time to move on.
In search of DayDate
Old 17 August 2008, 05:15 AM   #68
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah well I don't need to continue to hear about how out of line I was from you, pal. I apologized, thanked him for telling his story, and offered advice. Time to move on.
It was you who pointed out that members who apologised on behalf of others were not helping.

I am simply stating my side of the argument. In fairness, it wasn't really aimed at you originally. I noted your apology and respected you for it! I should have made that clearer!

No hard feelings here!

Jim
Old 17 August 2008, 05:16 AM   #69
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Me either. *Hand shake*
In search of DayDate
Old 17 August 2008, 05:17 AM   #70
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Post deleted by Jimbo Bobimbo
Old 17 August 2008, 05:18 AM   #71
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Me either. *Hand shake*

Man, there seems to be enough grief around at the moment without us members getting at each other.

J
Old 17 August 2008, 05:25 AM   #72
Rolexitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Post deleted after I read to the end
Old 17 August 2008, 07:05 AM   #73
Drago
"TRF" Member

Hi All
Well I can tell ya all hotels are not the same, I had the exact opposite happen in Egypt while on a windsurf holiday, I took my new SD off while I was changing in the room and putting it down on the bed just for a moment but was so excited at the wind picking up I ran down to the beach and forgot my watch! it was not until about two hours later I realized what I had done! I felt pretty sick thinking it's not going to be there when I got back to my room.The cleaning guys will have been around by now it go to be gone! but to my amazement he had put it on the bed side table on a neatly folded towel! well honest! and these guys only earn about £50 a month!
Rob.
Old 17 August 2008, 07:22 AM   #74
Parachrom
"TRF" Member

All my Rolex tiomepieces have my SIN etched in the backs. When my Sea Dweller got ripped off, it made having a police report and insurance payout so much easier. No one sees the serial number unless the band is off.
Parachrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2008, 07:24 AM   #75
Parachrom
"TRF" Member

All my Rolex tiomepieces have my SIN etched in the backs. When my Sea Dweller got ripped off, it made having a police report and insurance payout so much easier. No one sees the serial number unless the band is off.

HAving been a victim of the "resort thiefs" before, they are as quiet as a cat, and if you managed to wake up and tried to yell outy, there is a better than average risk that you would get youre throat slit for your troubles. Good thing the fella was asleep
Parachrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2008, 10:01 AM   #76
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parachrom View Post

HAving been a victim of the "resort thiefs" before, they are as quiet as a cat, and if you managed to wake up and tried to yell outy, there is a better than average risk that you would get youre throat slit for your troubles. Good thing the fella was asleep
That brings up a good point. Say what you will about valuing a life more than a Rolex, but I can assure you that the guy breaking into your room will have no such internal conflict. It's nice to have the option, and the freedom to defend oneself and make the burglar's intentions irrelevant.

Bottom line: If I see an unwelcome visitor in my abode, I have to assume he means my family or me harm. As far as I'm concerned, messing with my family is a death sentence.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2008, 10:05 AM   #77
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rooney View Post
Bottom line: If I see an unwelcome visitor in my abode, I have to assume he means my family or me harm. As far as I'm concerned, messing with my family is a death sentence.
Judge, jury and executioner!!!!!!

I have nothing more to say on this!

J
Old 17 August 2008, 10:13 AM   #78
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Quote:

J
You are right. I suppose I could ask him politely to leave once I hand him my valuables and one of my children.
Old 17 August 2008, 10:19 AM   #79
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:

J
Okay I lied.

Fair play Ed, it's your act to live with.

Funny how folk get burgled all over the world yet the victims don't blow the intruder away, neither are the inhabitants hardly maimed or killed.

If you want a firearm, thats all well and good but aren't there other ways to incapacitate an intruder without actually killing them?

I wonder how many folk here would be able to pull the trigger and how many would be able to deal with the consequences!

J
Old 17 August 2008, 10:37 AM   #80
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
That brings up a good point. Say what you will about valuing a life more than a Rolex, but I can assure you that the guy breaking into your room will have no such internal conflict. It's nice to have the option, and the freedom to defend oneself and make the burglar's intentions irrelevant.

I completely agree. You use the euphemism of an unwelcome visitor when in reality they are very often drugged out desperate people with extensive criminal histories. They are pedophiles, sex offenders, druggies, violent offenders and have the nerve to enter your home or hotel room while you are asleep. They are aware of the consequences in the US and that still doesn't stop them. Generally, you will have no idea whether or not they are armed so if you are then too bad for them.
Old 17 August 2008, 10:41 AM   #81
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
I completely agree. You use the euphemism of an unwelcome visitor when in reality they are very often drugged out desperate people with extensive criminal histories. They are pedophiles, sex offenders, druggies, violent offenders and have the nerve to enter your home or hotel room while you are asleep. They are aware of the consequences in the US and that still doesn't stop them. Generally, you will have no idea whether or not they are armed so if you are then too bad for them.
Again a fair point but you're talking about Killing somebody!

Killing somebody like it's an easy thing to do!

I can't imagine how cold and hard I would have to be to be able to do that and if you guys are capable of this, it truly makes me sad!

It's a lot of weight to have to carry for the rest of your lives.

J
Old 17 August 2008, 10:50 AM   #82
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
Again a fair point but you're talking about Killing somebody!

Killing somebody like it's an easy thing to do!

I can't imagine how cold and hard I would have to be to be able to do that and if you guys are capable of this, it truly makes me sad!

It's a lot of weight to have to carry for the rest of your lives.

J
I'm not trying to get too heavy here. I'm not talking about executing someone. Each circumstance has to be taken on it's individual merits but rest assured I would have no compunction about defending my family in this situation and I would give the intruder no benefit of the doubt. One wrong move...

To me this is a reasonable reaction to others it may not be so clear cut.
Old 17 August 2008, 10:54 AM   #83
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
I'm not trying to get too heavy here. I'm not talking about executing someone. Each circumstance has to be taken on it's individual merits but rest assured I would have no compunction about defending my family in this situation and I would give the intruder no benefit of the doubt. One wrong move...

To me this is a reasonable reaction to others it may not be so clear cut.
Mike...don't get me wrong...I have a cricket bat in the wardrobe which would soon come out in the instance I heard an intruder downstairs.

I have to be honest though, if I confronted him I would tell him to take what he wanted and leave my family alone.

Of course the US is different and I have no experience of the amount of burglars/intruders with guns but still...I'd rather the guy takes my Rolex collection or my bluray or whatever rather than have to live with the actions of ending his life!

J
Old 17 August 2008, 11:20 AM   #84
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay I lied.

Fair play Ed, it's your act to live with.

Funny how folk get burgled all over the world yet the victims don't blow the intruder away, neither are the inhabitants hardly maimed or killed.

If you want a firearm, thats all well and good but aren't there other ways to incapacitate an intruder without actually killing them?

I wonder how many folk here would be able to pull the trigger and how many would be able to deal with the consequences!

J
Thank you

You know, I never mentioned firearms. I don't like gun control debates, either.

Anyone who enters a home while the residents are home is far more dangerous than the average burglar. Sean Taylor is proof of that.

I am a product of the US Army and a thousand after-work Counter-Strike tournaments. I am totally desensitized.
Old 17 August 2008, 11:23 AM   #85
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

It's one thing to break in when you know people aren't home. You're basically avoiding confrontation that way, but breaking in when you KNOW someone is in there means you either incredibly brazen or just out of your mind on something and will go through whatever you have to, including humans, to get what you want.

It's a mute point here anyway though as it relates to the thread. He couldn't travel with a firearm, so it doesn't matter. Let's just hope we don't have to ever deal with such a thing personally make and move on.
In search of DayDate
Old 17 August 2008, 11:37 AM   #86
RolexSoFla

Watch: SS Daytona, ND Sub
Sorry to hear about your recent bad experience but like others have said here thankfully it was nothing worse. The thief was either an employee of Atlantis or a pro but my guess would be an employee and you were targeted. My wife and I don't travel with our Rolexes reducing unwanted attention from potential perps. Some folks boldly state that they wear theirs all over the world. We don't and we don't have to think about it. Again, sorry about your bad experience in Nassau. Things like that can happen anywhere.
RolexSoFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2008, 12:12 AM   #87
the186element

Watch: GMTII PEPSI
After visiting the Atlantis this past July I don't know what is more surprising the theft or the upgrade of rooms!! Have heard of this situation in the past...so sorry for your loss. Sometimes paying insurance premiums for years on end can exceed the actual cost of just replacing the watch if and when the unimaginable happens. Good luck in recouping your loss. One can only wonder why if you were "targeted" they wouldn't have targeted one of the countless all gold subs, presidents or platinums that I saw poolside.
Good Luck...in the future...get a Tag to travel with.
the186element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2008, 12:36 AM   #88
Texsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSGMTc
Quote:
+1. Agreed.
Wife's SS WG MOP Ladies DJ Z series
Texsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2008, 02:19 AM   #89
veefour
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mike...don't get me wrong...I have a cricket bat in the wardrobe which would soon come out in the instance I heard an intruder downstairs.

I have to be honest though, if I confronted him I would tell him to take what he wanted and leave my family alone.

Of course the US is different and I have no experience of the amount of burglars/intruders with guns but still...I'd rather the guy takes my Rolex collection or my bluray or whatever rather than have to live with the actions of ending his life!

J
Jim, agree with you not only about this post, but all trough the whole thread.
Just wanted you to know.
Old 18 August 2008, 02:31 AM   #90
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
All of this gun talk turns me off to this website.
joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote