The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 June 2017, 11:29 PM   #1
Beepos
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC RDM
If you had to pick one- red 1680 or gilt 5513?

Hi y'all,

I'm planning to get my first vintage Rolex in the next two years

I love both the Red 1680s and the Gilt 5513. Only problem I have with ghe 1680 is that I dislike the cyclops, but I'd be switching it out for a superdome probably

Problem is, my budget is limited to about 20k.

At that price it seems I can afford a decent gilt 5513 (but not amazing condition) or a top notch red sub

What would you pick if you were in my shoes? This will likely be a watch that stays with me for a very very long time
Beepos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2017, 01:24 AM   #2
Franks07
2024 Pledge Member

Tough choice for sure. I would focus on the very best possible example you can afford regardless of which reference you chose. I would chase an excellent 1680 red with the $20k budget only because I already have a 5512 and a 5513. Enjoy your hunt and be sure to post pictures and solicit input from the many experts here so that you get the best possible watch for the money.
Good Luck!
Franks07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2017, 01:28 AM   #3
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

Top Notch, for $20k you can likely get box and papers for a red sub. I would go that route as you are only going to find dials with imperfections (which is fine if you don't mind) but def agree with Franks above get the best condition piece you can.
brockburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2017, 01:30 AM   #4
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
I agree, sadly, it's gonna be very tough to find a really nice example of a gilt 5513 for $20,000 (which is a drag). Maybe you'll get lucky (or one without bracelet, and replacement bezel, etc.) but who knows. An excellent Red is totally do-able, but to me they're very different watches.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2017, 02:03 AM   #5
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
I'd pick a perfect gilt 5513 any day. Unfortunately it would cost more but I would rather save up than getting something which would feel like a compromise.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2017, 02:09 AM   #6
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
As a vintage noob I do like the 1680 more
Old 7 June 2017, 02:22 AM   #7
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
As a vintage noob I do like the 1680 more
Don't get me wrong but that is usually how it works. It's a gateway drug to the heavier things such as gilt dials, Daytonas etc.
Old 7 June 2017, 05:13 AM   #8
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
With that budget, red 1680.

So the questions are, ft first or meter first 1680? Untouched condition or touched condition?

I have honestly been following the markets very close for the past 10 years for red 1680 subs.. for 20k sure you might be able to snag a b&p's mk6 red, but condition will be questionable. Expect at that price for the case to be polished and might have very small dial or lume imperfections..

This day and age to find untouched examples can take a long time and expect to pay around 20k for untouched ft first and add 3 to 4K more for b&p's...

Mk1 and mk2's in untouched condition b&ps, north of all prices stated above.

My advise is to wait and find the best red sub you can find regardless of b&p's..

People do get lucky from time to time and are able to snag a great piece at an amazing price, but that is based purely on luck. If you deal direct with a collector on a forum or dealer, expect to pay the going rate, because they certainly know what they have and know what the market is; unless they are desperate to unload. Again luck plays a factor with that as well..

In the end, most go through a dealer because they get sick of waiting around for something to pop up at an estate sale or on eBay. The last few b&p reds in decent condition on eBay all sold north of 22k which isn't far off from market.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2017, 05:58 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
That is a tough choice. As mentioned earlier, I would try to find the best example of either and go with your gut.

IMO the 5513 gilt is the more desirable of the two.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2017, 06:09 AM   #10
Beepos
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice folks!

How much would an excellent gilt 5513 cost these days? Perhaps not museum grade, but really freaking nice (I honestly dont care too much about box and papers)

Because even looking athe poss here/looking at hqmilton and lunaroyster, prices seem all over the place. Seems to be about 28k to my untrained eye
Old 7 June 2017, 06:16 AM   #11
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepos View Post
Thanks for the advice folks!

How much would an excellent gilt 5513 cost these days? Perhaps not museum grade, but really freaking nice (I honestly dont care too much about box and papers)

Because even looking athe poss here/looking at hqmilton and lunaroyster, prices seem all over the place. Seems to be about 28k to my untrained eye
Minimum 30-35k if you want an undamaged one with a mirrorlike dial. With some bad luck a perfect one could cost way more. With a bit of good luck you will find one from the original owner and pay abit less. .

The difficult part is to find a great example available. Money is the easy thing.
Old 7 June 2017, 06:18 AM   #12
Wing Zero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 ~ 16610LV
Do you like matte dials or gilt dials?

Do you like the date or do you not care what day it is?

To me I never understood the hype over reds. Why people paid double / triple the price of white 1680

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wing Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2017, 06:20 AM   #13
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Zero View Post
Do you like matte dials or gilt dials?

Do you like the date or do you not care what day it is?

To me I never understood the hype over reds. Why people paid double / triple the price of white 1680
Or matte 5513's. Those are imho more interesting.
Old 7 June 2017, 06:35 AM   #14
Beepos
"TRF" Member

Whew. Yep, looks like gilts will be out of my budget in the near future!

As to why the red...I dunno, i really like it! A nice chocolately red is the nicest watch I've ever seen in person!

But I should explore matte 5513s more for sure.

Thanks y'all
Old 7 June 2017, 06:42 AM   #15
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
There are few watches to choose from available from different sellers, but to find a "freaking nice" example as you put it, is very hard. Collectors don't tend to let go of those in fear that they won't find another. So you could end up waiting god knows how long for the right piece. Most folks end up settling on a piece that might not be "exactly" what they wanted.

All vintage pieces have their "issues". It just depends how much you are willing to pay for a watch with the least amount of "issues".

Don't settle on something based purely on what your budget will allow. If you want a gilt 5513 then save for that. You can't go wrong with either.

Just a tip, I personally think if you are a flipper or don't plan on keeping this piece forever; a beautiful red sub is a easier sale compared to a gilt 5513.. When the price goes up, the market is more narrow. So take everything into consideration before you buy.

Ps: as for chocolate red subs, prepare to spend the same amount as on a gilt 5513
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2017, 07:27 AM   #16
Wing Zero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 ~ 16610LV
You mentioned nothing about chocolate dials. Hehe. In a league all its own.

Good luck with your hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wing Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2017, 08:16 AM   #17
Sky21
"TRF" Member

Really shooting for the moon with your first vintage Rolex. I would take the time over the next two years to follow the market for both of these pieces and try to find a couple to try on as well. Since you say you plan to keep it for a very long time then I echo the above and try to find the best condition example of the reference that you like better. With a $20k budget you should take your time and study the market and be ready to pounce when the best example within your budget comes along.
Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 08:14 AM   #18
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
I have both and find them very different. The gilt 5513 with a highdome and golden dial gives a nice warmth to the watch and wears nicely since it´s thin. While I find the red sub to be a bit more hefty and square with the cyclops plexi, and the red text just sings.
Old 9 June 2017, 06:59 AM   #19
ralfcom
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
ralfcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2017, 09:16 AM   #20
stewester
"TRF" Member

For your budget I reckon you can get either an absolutely perfect red 1680 or a very good gilt 5513. I would personally go for the former (condition, condition, condition) but either is a fine choice!
stewester is offline   Reply With Quote