The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 March 2016, 02:26 PM   #31
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelious View Post
IMO it's hard to find Masa or Yasuda type places anywhere in the US, Yasuda is probably my best sushi experience ever. I am a purist though and will usually only eat nigiri and sashimi. Maybe LA has a few but New York seems to be the mecca from past experience. I heard NAOE in Miami is supposed be outstanding but have yet to try it.

I recently ate a place in Houston that was supposed to be the best in the city and I was disappointed. I really just want to go to Tokyo for a week and go on a sushi binge.
You won't find another restaurant with the same experience of Masa in the US but there are plenty that have comparable sushi. NAOE is incredible though and worth the trip. It's one of the top sushi restaurants in the US and their omakase menu is a bargain compared to many of it's counterparts in other cities.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 04:54 PM   #32
Star Ferry
Banned

Danny - Hope you enjoyed your dinner.

I am not knowledgeable enough to fully appreciate Japanese food - however, through my wife I have been exposed to some interesting places. Over lunch today I consulted her vast knowledge

Since she was born and raised in Korea, with frequent "foodie trips" to Japan, she had much to say about what she calls "the American fascination with sushi"... She insists that Beijing style Chinese food is a higher form of cuisine than Japanese - she complains that true Chinese cuisine is almost impossible to find in the USA.

For NYC sushi, she says there are good options but with a few caveats.

The first is that NYC sushi restaurant often pair great fish with poorly prepared rice.

The second is that she believes American diners over-emphasize "freshness" - she says that all the fish has been frozen after being caught and so she is not sure why freshness is relevant.

Her last comment is that she thinks there are too many people who view knowledge of foreign cuisine as proof of sophistication. She says there is no need to prove prior knowledge, and the diner only needs to show appreciation for the chef's skills, not complete understanding

her favorite japanese restaurant is Waketokuyama in Tokyo
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 06:09 PM   #33
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kram View Post
There's a place in the bay area that is highly recommended, but the name escapes me now.
If you're thinking of Chuck's favorite place, that would be Sawa Sushi.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 11:27 PM   #34
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post

The first is that NYC sushi restaurant often pair great fish with poorly prepared rice.
I agree, rice is just as if not more important than the fish. But there are places that make superb sushi rice in NYC. While it's important to source fresh fish, depending on the type it's actually not as good to eat right away. Most great sushi chefs will "age" their fish accordingly.
Old 16 March 2016, 01:10 AM   #35
FlyinM3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionstorm View Post
I remember this place in Sunnyvale in that strip mall off El Camino.
The place wasn't bad except for the owner's attitude about how he only serves to members....I heard the arrogance has died down over the years but no idea if they are still good. Last time I was there was more than 10yrs ago.
FlyinM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 01:34 AM   #36
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Danny - Hope you enjoyed your dinner.

I am not knowledgeable enough to fully appreciate Japanese food - however, through my wife I have been exposed to some interesting places. Over lunch today I consulted her vast knowledge

Since she was born and raised in Korea, with frequent "foodie trips" to Japan, she had much to say about what she calls "the American fascination with sushi"... She insists that Beijing style Chinese food is a higher form of cuisine than Japanese - she complains that true Chinese cuisine is almost impossible to find in the USA.

For NYC sushi, she says there are good options but with a few caveats.

The second is that she believes American diners over-emphasize "freshness" - she says that all the fish has been frozen after being caught and so she is not sure why freshness is relevant.

Her last comment is that she thinks there are too many people who view knowledge of foreign cuisine as proof of sophistication. She says there is no need to prove prior knowledge, and the diner only needs to show appreciation for the chef's skills, not complete understanding

her favorite japanese restaurant is Waketokuyama in Tokyo
regarding food in general, there are different variations depending on location within the country and of course eco/socio status. surely the beijing style chinese food she eats is not what the blue collar people eat in that city. same can be said for japanese food and sushi in particular.

i somewhat agree with the last sentiment, but while you can appreciate something with no prior knowledge, i think you gain much more insight to a chef's concepts or intentions if you understand the parts that go into a dish.

i just looked up Waketokuyama. looks fantastic. would be so hard for me to choose just one restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionstorm View Post
that's the place.

Quote:
I agree, rice is just as if not more important than the fish. But there are places that make superb sushi rice in NYC. While it's important to source fresh fish, depending on the type it's actually not as good to eat right away. Most great sushi chefs will "age" their fish accordingly.
this is correct.
Mr Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2016, 03:48 AM   #37
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Agree on the rice as well. I suppose I can also agree that the rice in most sushi places, not only in NYC, but in the US, is pretty bad.

But if you go to to high end sushi places in NYC, the rice is excellent

In most developed countries including the US, EU, and Japan, all fish intended to be served raw must have been frozen to at least −20 °C in order to kill bacteria and parasites.

There was an interesting article in the NY times about this where it was said the freezing fish is better tasting compared to fresh.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote