The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 January 2020, 12:40 PM   #1
Dan23
"TRF" Member

First Time Purchase

Ok, throwing out a Hail Mary and hoping for a catch! 🙏🏼. Long time lurker; first post.

I have been after a GMT-Master II since the good old Batman Oyster days. Unfortunately, as with many other experiences that people have shared, I’ve only experienced shut down after shut down. I’ve been “waitlisted” since - with no success. I turn 30 this year and would love to mark the occasion with the purchase of my first Rolex - a 126710BLRO 😊.

If there is a kind soul out there in Melbourne, Australia or Australia for that matter, that may be willing to assist this poor and hopeful soul - I’d be forever grateful! For now I’ll keep drooling over ‘incoming’ pics, dreaming that I’d be able to post one of mine before I turn 50 haha.

Thank you
Dan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 01:34 PM   #2
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
There are 3 new ones in Australia on C24. From what I've read about availability there it might be your best bet.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 01:44 PM   #3
owwreally
"TRF" Member

Yeah.... not going to happen in Australia at all.

Better off trying to get a hook up in America and fly over there to collect.
owwreally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 01:49 PM   #4
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
I was nearly in your same situation looking for the same watch, it’s tough without a purchase history. Even then, it’s still really difficult.

I’m not in Australia, I’m in the US but I can still help. Hit up David from davidsw.coM and he’ll get you squared away with a BLRO in no time! Best of luck, it’s worth the hunt!
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 03:41 PM   #5
mattmonay
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Same situation here; longtime lurker, time to get back in the game! There look to be lots of reputable sellers here; be cautious and do your due diligence, but happy hunting!
mattmonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 03:47 PM   #6
patternskies
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub + Speedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan23 View Post
Ok, throwing out a Hail Mary and hoping for a catch! 🙏🏼. Long time lurker; first post.

I have been after a GMT-Master II since the good old Batman Oyster days. Unfortunately, as with many other experiences that people have shared, I’ve only experienced shut down after shut down. I’ve been “waitlisted” since - with no success. I turn 30 this year and would love to mark the occasion with the purchase of my first Rolex - a 126710BLRO 😊.

If there is a kind soul out there in Melbourne, Australia or Australia for that matter, that may be willing to assist this poor and hopeful soul - I’d be forever grateful! For now I’ll keep drooling over ‘incoming’ pics, dreaming that I’d be able to post one of mine before I turn 50 haha.

Thank you
Extremely unlikely to be able to pick one up at RRP without a purchase history from an AD in Australia. The Australian market is incredibly incredibly tight for stainless steel models, especially the BLRO. 'Lists' in Australia (like many places) are just a myth - the Expression Of Interest you fill out is just that, an EOI only. ADs use a number of factors to determine who gets the watch including purchase amount, previous purchases (i.e. not giving too many SS models to the same buyer), whether they like you or not etc. It differs between ADs. I have a good purchase history from my AD and submitted an EOI for a BLRO, however, doubt it will ever work out for me given the volume of product shipped in and the number of foreign buyers who are spending over here due to favourable currency combined with the Tourist Refund Scheme.

Going grey is your best bet if you must have the BLRO now - Vintage Watch Co in Brisbane/Melbourne or Luxuria in Sydney being dealers I would recommend. You will need to factor in another 10% GST if you purchase from grey overseas.

At the end of the day, only you can determine whether the premium is worth it for the BLRO. I was in your position when I turned 30 a few years ago and decided the premium was not something I was willing to cop. I put the Sub on the back burner and instead purchased a Speedmaster. Fast forward a little bit and I was offered a Sub new from my AD.
patternskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 03:49 PM   #7
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
I would contact all of the AD in your reasonable area, introduce yourself, and let it be known you want a GMT BLRO, and if they have a list, put your name down and wait. While you wait,buy one from a reseller and start enjoying the piece. If you do get a call, then go buy the second piece, and then sell one or decline to purchase from the AD.
Old 6 January 2020, 05:55 PM   #8
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Try sydneywatchexchange

It's just all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconvenience we have to deal with.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 06:06 PM   #9
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Buy a Sub/Date .Less of n premium and nothing in ss really beats it .My recommendation as a first Rolex
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 06:40 PM   #10
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
Australia has been picked clean. I tried and got shut down. In the end, the AD route was a flawed model for me. I went grey. Knew exactly where I stood with them and didn’t need to butter up AD counter jumpers. Best thing I did but not for everyone.

Think about it like this, some 30 year olds buy a BMW new, drive it home and it’s worth $AU10,000 less.

You’re paying a premium - yes and if you change your mind, a fair portion of the value may be preserved. But $10k is significant.

Happy 30th. Hope somebody can help - of course they’d be giving you a $10k birthday bonus.... There are stories of very generous people doing favours for other members.

Have you read up on five digits? I have no expertise on that front though. Good on you for asking.
InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 08:47 PM   #11
Sulla
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,AK,DJ,EX,TTSub
Go and visit every AD in your neck of the woods FTF. Kennedy at Crown and Chadstone, Watches of Switzerland and The Hour Glass. Most have the EOI list except Kennedy. Go and meet them and weave a tale why you so desperately desire a Rolex and they will place you on their EOI list which I believe may involve a minimum of a two year wait. If you have friends interstate that may be another avenue you can try. I have been told by an AD that a TT sub is easier than an SS sub and a GMT is nearly impossible!. It may be easier if you become a customer for a more easily achievable model and then ask for your dream (as was mentioned earlier in this thread). I got my 114060 (SS ND Sub) within a couple of weeks of getting the itch early December. Paid $A9,900. Today it's $A11,100! You may have to lower your expectations for your first! AD's generally get their allocation list in the third/fourth week of the month with delivery the following week (from what I have been told. I am a Melbournian also. Good luck!
Sulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 09:08 PM   #12
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
If you do go grey, this is the kind of thing that awaits. Frustrating but quite often the reality.

InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 10:21 PM   #13
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

Thank you
Yeh that’s not going to happen.
The grey market is there for people who can’t obtain one from an AD, so I’d focus my attention on the grey market
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 10:32 PM   #14
peterpl
Banned

If you love it that much just pay up, purchase gray market and wear it.

You can have one on your wrist within 3-4 days if your willing to pay the premium. They are all being hoarded in the gray market. You got no chance at the AD as long as there is a premium on these - the AD will just sell it to the gray market directly and share in the profit.

No one is going to give you a free $5-6k USD for nothing. Money makes the world go round.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 08:25 AM   #15
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Here's one here over your ditch:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/jewellery-...2474145480.htm

It's just all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconvenience we have to deal with.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 12:57 PM   #16
Dan23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patternskies View Post
Extremely unlikely to be able to pick one up at RRP without a purchase history from an AD in Australia. The Australian market is incredibly incredibly tight for stainless steel models, especially the BLRO. 'Lists' in Australia (like many places) are just a myth - the Expression Of Interest you fill out is just that, an EOI only. ADs use a number of factors to determine who gets the watch including purchase amount, previous purchases (i.e. not giving too many SS models to the same buyer), whether they like you or not etc. It differs between ADs. I have a good purchase history from my AD and submitted an EOI for a BLRO, however, doubt it will ever work out for me given the volume of product shipped in and the number of foreign buyers who are spending over here due to favourable currency combined with the Tourist Refund Scheme.

Going grey is your best bet if you must have the BLRO now - Vintage Watch Co in Brisbane/Melbourne or Luxuria in Sydney being dealers I would recommend. You will need to factor in another 10% GST if you purchase from grey overseas.

At the end of the day, only you can determine whether the premium is worth it for the BLRO. I was in your position when I turned 30 a few years ago and decided the premium was not something I was willing to cop. I put the Sub on the back burner and instead purchased a Speedmaster. Fast forward a little bit and I was offered a Sub new from my AD.
Thanks for the reply mate! Much appreciated 👍🏼
Old 8 January 2020, 01:01 PM   #17
Dan23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
Australia has been picked clean. I tried and got shut down. In the end, the AD route was a flawed model for me. I went grey. Knew exactly where I stood with them and didn’t need to butter up AD counter jumpers. Best thing I did but not for everyone.

Think about it like this, some 30 year olds buy a BMW new, drive it home and it’s worth $AU10,000 less.

You’re paying a premium - yes and if you change your mind, a fair portion of the value may be preserved. But $10k is significant.

Happy 30th. Hope somebody can help - of course they’d be giving you a $10k birthday bonus.... There are stories of very generous people doing favours for other members.

Have you read up on five digits? I have no expertise on that front though. Good on you for asking.
Thanks mate! Some sort of collection you have there 🙌🏼. Yes, I hope an angel stumbles across this thread; that would be something! Haha. In the meantime, got to keep pursuing the dream 😐.
Old 8 January 2020, 05:30 PM   #18
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Thanks mate! Some sort of collection you have there 🙌🏼. Yes, I hope an angel stumbles across this thread; that would be something! Haha. In the meantime, got to keep pursuing the dream 😐.
Have you considered the beautiful and classic Datejust?
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 06:02 PM   #19
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
When will people learn you won't obtain watches or anything rare, sought after, or hard to find by going around begging (or ranting) on internet forums.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 06:12 PM   #20
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Go gray DavidSW on your wrist in two days
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 06:12 PM   #21
Jammart
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
When will people learn you won't obtain watches or anything rare, sought after, or hard to find by going around begging (or ranting) on internet forums.
I believe asking from forums isn't a bad move, you might have someone point you to the right source...

Sent from my SM-A105F using Tapatalk
Jammart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 06:42 PM   #22
AG23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post
Go gray DavidSW on your wrist in two days
Unfortunately for us in Oz, the exchange rate and import duty put a horrible price on watches from David. I looked into a Sub date from him and it got to AU$20k- 2020 retail is $12600.
AG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 08:05 PM   #23
Dan23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Not begging or ranting. Just asking for advice - that you lack. Thank you
Old 8 January 2020, 09:04 PM   #24
golden_time
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
Maybe consider a readily available Cellini..
golden_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 09:15 PM   #25
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If you are on wait lists, I would do those rounds first, to see where you are and how much longer you can expect to wait. I have been steadily moving up my AD's list for a CHNR. A BLRO for me from any UK AD is out of the question.

Past that it's a grey seller, if you want it that badly. Providing you successfully buy the seller, you will get your BLRO in the very near future. What it costs is what it costs. Price is irreverent if you've simply got to have it. If the potential cost puts you off, your subconscious is possibly trying to tell you something. In which case it will probably be better to wait, however long it takes.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 05:30 PM   #26
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammart View Post
I believe asking from forums isn't a bad move, you might have someone point you to the right source...

Sent from my SM-A105F using Tapatalk
Quote:
Not begging or ranting. Just asking for advice - that you lack. Thank you
So you guys think coming on a forum and asking for one of the hottest most sought after items on the planet and someone is going to give you 123 instructions on how to get it right away? hoping they will refer you to mr. nice guy salesperson at xyz AD to hook you up? cmon fellas, just think logically.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 08:46 PM   #27
supersam80
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 26331ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG23 View Post
Unfortunately for us in Oz, the exchange rate and import duty put a horrible price on watches from David. I looked into a Sub date from him and it got to AU$20k- 2020 retail is $12600.
Grey's in Melbourne have the sub date at 15k-16k aud, much cheaper than defaulting to davidsw
supersam80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 11:50 PM   #28
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG23 View Post

Wow, at that point might make more sense to make a trip to the states...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote