The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 November 2005, 09:27 AM   #1
atlrolex
"TRF" Member

Hello

Hello all and happy holidays. I am new to the forum and look forward to learning much about watches in general and Rolex in particular.

I am a Thunderbird owner living in Atlanta Ga. I thoroughly enjoy my watch and look forward to getting another (Submariner) sometime early in 2006. I will probably stop at 3 watches.
My question:
Do I need a watchwinder and if so what type would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for any information you provide.
atlrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2005, 12:11 PM   #2
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Hello and welcome atlrolex, I'm glad to have you aboard. As far as watch winders goes, I don't use one and try to keep each watch going by self winding. Others will have varying views both for and against. I think it's a personal choice.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2005, 12:31 PM   #3
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Welcome to TRF!! As Adrian said, it really is a personal preference. I too keep my collection at 3, and have a cheapy dual winder that works well. The only thing I did was buy a wall timer to plug it into so that I could control the TPD (turns per day) better.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2005, 03:42 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Welcome to this forum, pal. Enjoy your stay here and let's some pics of that T-bird!!

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2005, 03:43 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

This is the best forum around and you should have yourself a blast here. Hope you have a great time!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 28 November 2005 at 03:45 PM..
Old 28 November 2005, 06:15 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Welcome to TRF hope you enjoy your stay,well like the rest have said a watch winder is personnel choice.But IMO only necessary if you have some watches with a lot of complications With watches just with a date a little wind once a month just to keep the oils circulating is OK.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2005, 08:01 PM   #7
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Welcome to TRF. Hope you enjoy it over here.
Old 28 November 2005, 08:38 PM   #8
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
So true as it being a personal choice atlrolex, hope you enjoy the forum
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2005, 05:26 AM   #9
atlrolex
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the welcome

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I guess my next question is how long does your wind last if you sit it down? It seems I am winding mine every few days if I don't wear it. Will a winder end that? I've been looking at Orbita winders. As I said before, I'll get another Rolex and the 3rd will be another brand, maybe Panerai or Cartier Santo 100. I'd like a winder that could handle each. It seems to me though that TRF is unanimous in feeling that a winder is not needed. I guess its not as important as I once thought.
Old 29 November 2005, 06:15 AM   #10
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlrolex

I guess my next question is how long does your wind last if you sit it down? It seems I am winding mine every few days if I don't wear it. Will a winder end that? I've been looking at Orbita winders. As I said before, I'll get another Rolex and the 3rd will be another brand, maybe Panerai or Cartier Santo 100. I'd like a winder that could handle each. It seems to me though that TRF is unanimous in feeling that a winder is not needed. I guess its not as important as I once thought.
For me, I am not the type to keep winding my watches, so I must have a winder. It is just personal preference. But like I said above, with three watches, all autos I don't want to have to keep resetting the time and date. So I just plop them on the dual winder and wear the other.

Orbita winders are really good, but pricey. Then again, so are our watches.

Old 29 November 2005, 07:46 AM   #11
atlrolex
"TRF" Member

Thanks dman

I thought everyone would have a winder. What type do you have? There are a few on the market but since I only have to buy it once, I'd like to get something that will last. Also, i understand that different watches require differrent settings. Finally, I can't wait to see my watches gently humming along and looking great. LOL

This watch addiction could get out of hand.
Old 29 November 2005, 08:42 AM   #12
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Not sure of the brand, it is a cheapie bought off ebay for a about $150. It uses an AC adapter and I have it on a wall timer to control TPD. It is not loud at all, but I keep it in another room so my wife doesn't have to look at it, LOL!!

It is a crazy hobby for sure, but better because of the people that you can meet at places like this that share the passion.

Old 29 November 2005, 09:37 AM   #13
----

Quote:

Welcome to TRF! I use an Orbita Sparta winder and it does not run all the time, but rotates the watch once every 10 minutes, and then the watch swings back and forth by gravity for a number of seconds (the watch only rotates slightly more than 180 degrees under power - most of the winding is from the pendulum effect). It is able to keep both my Rolex and my JLC wound quite nicely.

Orbita winders are expensive, but they do a nice job.
Old 29 November 2005, 11:53 AM   #14
dina
"TRF" Member

Welcome Atlrolex.

Last edited by dina; 29 November 2005 at 11:54 AM..
dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2005, 02:42 PM   #15
Alan From New York

Watch: And Learn
I'd only get a winder if my watch had a moonphase, perpetual calendar, some complication that would be annoying to continually set. For a three handed watch, it's not really needed.
Alan From New York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2005, 12:21 AM   #16
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan From New York
I'd only get a winder if my watch had a moonphase, perpetual calendar, some complication that would be annoying to continually set. For a three handed watch, it's not really needed.
Even for a four handed watch, it's not necessary.
Old 30 November 2005, 08:32 AM   #17
atlrolex
"TRF" Member

Thanks again

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I do appreciate it.

I have been thinking about this whole winder deal and I am sure I will get one. I have decided on the Orbita Ticino 3. Sure, I don't need one but then again I don't need a Rolex either. Let alone three. I do enjoy watches and would love to see them displayed in a proper manner. Its a personal thing.
Old 30 November 2005, 08:36 AM   #18
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Thanks again for the warm welcome. I do appreciate it.

I have been thinking about this whole winder deal and I am sure I will get one. I have decided on the Orbita Ticino 3. Sure, I don't need one but then again I don't need a Rolex either. Let alone three. I do enjoy watches and would love to see them displayed in a proper manner. Its a personal thing.
Glad to here it and please fell free to jump in and post away mate!! As for the winder, good for you! You are 100% right, it is not needed, but wanted. Just like these watches and having multiple.

Old 30 November 2005, 11:50 AM   #19
atlrolex
"TRF" Member

My watch

Here is a pic of my T'bird, matching Montblanc, bracelet, and ring. If you notice there is a stray Montblanc on the right. That is why I need a silver and black sub, bracelet and ring to go with it. A guy can't have too much jewelry if its the right stuff. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watch.JPG (50.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 30 November 2005, 02:49 PM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Nice and pretty well matched!!