The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 December 2018, 02:45 AM   #1
Sumit1
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, SD43, BLNR
AD's should be carrying test watches??

With all this scarcity for the SS Rolex's - how is a someone new to Rolex supposed to make up their mind of which one to buy?

All we have as a reference point is posts on the internet to help make our minds. This is so unfair when spending a good deal of money (at least for me) to not even being able to make a good choice based on 1st hand experiencing.

My wife bought me a DJ41 on my 40th birthday as that was the only one available with the retailer (in the SS models as she knew that I do not like the gold or any other precious metal) in time for the occasion.

I love the watch and wanted to add a sports model to make it a 2 watch collection - had to make up my mind just based on the pictures and chose a SD43. Even that had to ask a friend of mine (in another city) to buy as AD near me did not even have opening on the waiting list.

Now that my friend has been able to secure the watch and I have wired the money - makes me think, what if i do not like it that much?
I will then have to sell it and again get in the line for a different one and once I get a new one what if I feel that the one that I had earlier was better.

This is so silly and no way to go about buying things that I am supposed to hold onto for a lifetime.

Why does Rolex not instruct their AD's to carry at least 1 of each type with them for customers to try out?
Wouldn't it lead to a more satisfied customer experience.

OR is it just a rant of - I don't know but somehow there has to be a better way of retaining lifetime customers.
Sumit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 05:50 AM   #2
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

What’s worse is that if you buy one based on your initial desire, but having never tried one on, you may need to sell it because once you wear it, you don’t like it, then you are either hated by the community or you can’t because your AD held the warranty card or other stuff (links, box)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 05:55 AM   #3
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

Maybe make one like the phones: dummy watch... same size and weight and dial but no guts or anything else. LOL
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 06:06 AM   #4
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
It'd be good for sales, but I don't think they need it. They're selling a lot of Rolex watches as is. And maybe they won't make a test watch because it's almost like a Rolex replica. I don't know. You know some wiseass Instagram people will end up with them and wear the test watches around, lol.
Old 11 December 2018, 06:16 AM   #5
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLDARI View Post
Maybe make one like the phones: dummy watch... same size and weight and dial but no guts or anything else. LOL

That is actually exactly what they have at the preview events at ADs.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 06:22 AM   #6
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
That is actually exactly what they have at the preview events at ADs.
I think it would make a lot of sense. Rolex already has promotional materials they make ADs carry. What if every year, they supply dummy models for case displays, while new stock (if there is any) is kept in the back? That would just be part of the deal for Rolex ADs. The dummies get all the handling, while the new stock stays pristine? Amortize the cost of the dummies in the price of the real watches, so ADs don't have to pay too much for them.

Edit: then again, maybe that's a headache the ADs don't need. Imagine every customer coming in and pointing to a sports-model dummy, only to have to be told they can't get it.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 06:25 AM   #7
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I think this is a fantastic idea. I’d visit my AD much more if this were the case, just to try models on to see how they feel.....

I think this would benefit the sales process and reduce flips cause by the watch not feeling right when it arrives

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 06:26 AM   #8
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
It would be nice if they had reveal pieces. I was thinking the same when wondering about the guy that wants a DD which is a piece that can be easily ordered but quite expensive. The colors and combinations available in the catalog do no justice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 06:31 AM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I say Rolex should go the Warby Parker or Casper retail models. Try for 90 day’s with free return if not fully satisfied.

But making dummy watches?
Nah- too much extra work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 06:33 AM   #10
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

I've heard that when an AD opens up and wants to carry Rolex, they don't get to chose the watches they get. Rolex sends them what they want. Not sure how replacements and such go after models are sold. Probably not much different.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 06:36 AM   #11
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I think it would make a lot of sense. Rolex already has promotional materials they make ADs carry. What if every year, they supply dummy models for case displays, while new stock (if there is any) is kept in the back? That would just be part of the deal for Rolex ADs. The dummies get all the handling, while the new stock stays pristine? Amortize the cost of the dummies in the price of the real watches, so ADs don't have to pay too much for them.

Edit: then again, maybe that's a headache the ADs don't need. Imagine every customer coming in and pointing to a sports-model dummy, only to have to be told they can't get it.
Good point about everyone wanting to try one on. My AD had a Tudor GMT on Bracelet as a non working sample, but rather than display it in the case they kept it in the back for those who were interested in it.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 06:59 AM   #12
ROLMARINER
Banned

Watch: 500C, BLRO
Part of the allure of Rolex is the fact that they are hard to come by. Whether dummy models or not, having 1,000 AD's with all the hot models in the windows will make the brand look more pedestrian. Not to mention, they greys would pop champagne if AD's had dummies and became victim to internet showrooming just like all of Amazon's brands.
ROLMARINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 07:04 AM   #13
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLMARINER View Post
Part of the allure of Rolex is the fact that they are hard to come by. Whether dummy models or not, having 1,000 AD's with all the hot models in the windows will make the brand look more pedestrian. Not to mention, they greys would pop champagne if AD's had dummies and became victim to internet showrooming just like all of Amazon's brands.
Place the ‘actual’ stock in the windows and the ‘non-working’ models are there on request once you are in store.

I just came back from a trip in Geneva with Patek. Before we we were flown back, we were shown the entire range - all of which were ‘dummy’ models.

Actual watches, but just with an important component missing.

Worked perfectly, and let’s face it, a Rolex is no Patek.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 07:06 AM   #14
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLMARINER View Post
I disagree. This whole shortage deal is only 18 months. The allure of Rolex has run for decades.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 07:12 AM   #15
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumit1 View Post
With all this scarcity for the SS Rolex's - how is a someone new to Rolex supposed to make up their mind of which one to buy?

All we have as a reference point is posts on the internet to help make our minds. This is so unfair when spending a good deal of money (at least for me) to not even being able to make a good choice based on 1st hand experiencing.

My wife bought me a DJ41 on my 40th birthday as that was the only one available with the retailer (in the SS models as she knew that I do not like the gold or any other precious metal) in time for the occasion.

I love the watch and wanted to add a sports model to make it a 2 watch collection - had to make up my mind just based on the pictures and chose a SD43. Even that had to ask a friend of mine (in another city) to buy as AD near me did not even have opening on the waiting list.

Now that my friend has been able to secure the watch and I have wired the money - makes me think, what if i do not like it that much?
I will then have to sell it and again get in the line for a different one and once I get a new one what if I feel that the one that I had earlier was better.

This is so silly and no way to go about buying things that I am supposed to hold onto for a lifetime.

Why does Rolex not instruct their AD's to carry at least 1 of each type with them for customers to try out?

OR is it just a rant of - I don't know but somehow there has to be a better way of retaining lifetime customers.
Your primary point has some validity. I, too, bought an SD43 sight unseen from my preferred AD. As it turns out I didn't care for the watch. The up side is I flipped for a touch more than what I had in it. So don't worry about the SD43 you won't take a bath on that one.

Since my SD43 experience the same AD called an offered me a white SkyD. without the ability to see it i had to pass (I live a long way from this AD).
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 07:21 AM   #16
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I wonder if that might hurt the ADs even more... Go in, try on the watch you want to make sure it works for you, then go Grey and buy it instead of waiting. How many people are hesitant on going to the Grey Market since they can't feel it before hand? At least if an AD orders it or has you in line on a list, you can refuse it once it's in with "no harm, no foul" since they can turn around and sell it to the next person. No money spent, no skin off your back. But trying it on may lead to a further exodus from the AD experience toward Grey sellers.

I'm not saying good or bad, but just a possibility.

On the flip side, I don't think Rolex can even keep up with demand for the current line, so if they were to then "waste" over 1000 cases/dials/parts to create non-working dummies, the ADs (and WIS) would be up in arms that they are being wasteful.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 08:48 AM   #17
Sumit1
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, SD43, BLNR
Like i said - it could be that i am just ranting and the company does not really care of what I would feel as a customer as there are enough people lined up with cash in hand.

Even the best of luxury brands have experience centres (if not ech and every delaer) where customers can get a look and feel.

I definirely feel that the customer will be able to connect with the brand better with being able to first hand experience it.
Sumit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 04:26 PM   #18
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumit1 View Post

I’ve made this point before and agree completely.
However Rolex aren’t in the habit of listening to their customers
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 04:45 PM   #19
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Ad’s should be carrying WATCHES.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 04:52 PM   #20
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
Point of contention for me as well. If there’s no stock next time I’m in search of a watch, I’ll simply go Omega or Grand Seiko.

Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 05:21 PM   #21
mjr24
Banned

Buy from a seller on Ebay with a return policy. Ebay no longer allows restock fees. Buy it, try it on, return it if you don't like it. I've done this a few times. Obviously, I mean try it on....do not wear it somewhere.

I am not buying a $15k watch sight unseen.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 05:51 PM   #22
Boba Fett
"TRF" Member

Watch: Star Wars
How about you to grey dealer, who have lots of watches including the hot ones, try there then get on waitlist.
Boba Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 06:21 PM   #23
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
I think it's a good idea but if the statement from another thread " half or more of the people he sells a Rolex to don't bother to set the time" is true, I'm afraid these dummies will be sold (technically "lost") very quick
Old 11 December 2018, 06:31 PM   #24
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubshack View Post
Point of contention for me as well. If there’s no stock next time I’m in search of a watch, I’ll simply go Omega or Grand Seiko.

Absolutely! Or any number of other outstanding watches available in the marketplace. A Rolex is a mass produced item, high quality with a price-tag to match. Currently a fad item.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 06:49 PM   #25
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLDARI View Post
I actually like this idea ... purely a display watch ... it makes so much sense.
Old 11 December 2018, 07:22 PM   #26
Brew
"TRF" Member

These test watches would sell for nearly as much as the real thing, given how so many people wear their watches as jewelry and don't even set them.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 08:30 PM   #27
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

This idea has been mentioned before. Once a customer wants the watch Rolex ships it to the AD. Maybe they pay for it up front, or a deposit. The customer comes back and completes the transaction. This way Rolex only ships watches that are sold to end customers. Watches don't sit in cases, or go out the back door. And inventory is distributed more efficiently, perhaps production can be planned better. But still there would be shortages on some models. And not every color/dial combination can be made. But this keeps the AD's role in tact and is one step closer to a direct ship model for Rolex.

But it will never happen!
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 08:54 PM   #28
mchu004
"TRF" Member

Agreed.

A couple weeks back, I went around the city to various boutiques/ADs to try on new watches to feel them out. Every single one of the stores were super accommodating and actually had the watches to try on. It was so refreshing! Rolex? Of course not.
mchu004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 09:45 PM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It's very frustrating for sure, but part of exclusivity is being a bit of a closed shop, like finding the trendiest club in town with no signs. While I don't think Rolex are doing anything to make their watches more exclusive, the market is doing that all by itself, Rolex are not going to any effort to make them seem less so.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 03:03 AM   #30
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It's very frustrating for sure, but part of exclusivity is being a bit of a closed shop, like finding the trendiest club in town with no signs. While I don't think Rolex are doing anything to make their watches more exclusive, the market is doing that all by itself, Rolex are not going to any effort to make them seem less so.

Hit the nail on the head.

Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote