The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 11 June 2008, 09:32 AM   #1
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
I've always liked Breitlings & almost pulled the trigger on a few models, yet never did. Believe it or not, my BIGGEST complaint with the brand is the fact that they highly polish the heck out of all their models. It seems the only way you can get away from the polished look is to buy titanium examples, but I'm just not a titanium guy. The polish just looks to "In Your Face" shiny...some say it looks more dressy, but to me it degrades the watch and makes it look cheap. I'll take brushed SS any day over polished. I mean, come on, we're talking sport watches with 99.9% of their collection.

My other slight complaint is the fact that their bracelet links seem soooooo loose...I know that's the way they design them for comfort, but to me it almost feels cheap like it is already worn out and loose. In the end, if they started brushing their stainless instead of polishing, I'm sure one would already be in my collection.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 10:36 AM   #2
^fai^

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
I've always liked Breitlings & almost pulled the trigger on a few models, yet never did. Believe it or not, my BIGGEST complaint with the brand is the fact that they highly polish the heck out of all their models. It seems the only way you can get away from the polished look is to buy titanium examples, but I'm just not a titanium guy. The polish just looks to "In Your Face" shiny...some say it looks more dressy, but to me it degrades the watch and makes it look cheap. I'll take brushed SS any day over polished. I mean, come on, we're talking sport watches with 99.9% of their collection.

My other slight complaint is the fact that their bracelet links seem soooooo loose...I know that's the way they design them for comfort, but to me it almost feels cheap like it is already worn out and loose. In the end, if they started brushing their stainless instead of polishing, I'm sure one would already be in my collection.
Hi Sin Nombre,

I know how you feel...

I myself don't feel good in those bling bling bracelet.
Therefore I go for this, it looks bulky but it's light.

^fai^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2009, 01:25 AM   #3
wgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 000
Quote:

I agree with you 100%. I think Breitling is "missing the boat" by not offering more models with an all brushed finish, especially with the sportier models. In my opinion they would experience a boost in sales with more brushed surfaced watches. I would hop on the Breitling train if they did it...
wgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2009, 04:16 AM   #4
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
This is why I got the Chrono Avenger which was Ti. The old SuperOcean Professional had a brushed SS finish which was nice (BTW, that was my Breitling).

I also had the Steelfish blue dial, it was a nice heavy piece but the Pro II SS wasn't as comfy as the Pro I in Ti.
I agree. Not only is the Pro I more comfortable IMO, I like the look of it a lot better than the Pro II. Again, II seems more dressy which is not the look I'm going for when I sport a watch like a Breitling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgs View Post
I agree with you 100%. I think Breitling is "missing the boat" by not offering more models with an all brushed finish, especially with the sportier models. In my opinion they would experience a boost in sales with more brushed surfaced watches. I would hop on the Breitling train if they did it...
Yep. I eventually bought a Skyland Avenger Blacksteel as the DLC finish was awesome. I liked pretty much everything about the watch except one minor point. The hands just seemed too plain to me and pretty thin...hence the lume wasn't very good (actually, the lume of the markers was pretty week too due to their small size).

Those knocks aside, I was planning on keep the watch for at least a year until I was going to flip to purchase a DSSD (the boss, aka wife, wasn't going to authorize more expansion to my collection in terms of numbers)...but sure enough about a month after I bought it I found a DSSD and had to purchase (this was over a year ago when it wasn't very easy to find a DSSD). So, the Breitling didn't stay in the collection too long. I'm sure I'll get another soon as I've seen a few w/ their new collection that look promising via pictures.

SA vs Sub Date lume:
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2010, 08:23 AM   #5
iDamo4u
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree. Not only is the Pro I more comfortable IMO, I like the look of it a lot better than the Pro II. Again, II seems more dressy which is not the look I'm going for when I sport a watch like a Breitling.

Yep. I eventually bought a Skyland Avenger Blacksteel as the DLC finish was awesome. I liked pretty much everything about the watch except one minor point. The hands just seemed too plain to me and pretty thin...hence the lume wasn't very good (actually, the lume of the markers was pretty week too due to their small size).

Those knocks aside, I was planning on keep the watch for at least a year until I was going to flip to purchase a DSSD (the boss, aka wife, wasn't going to authorize more expansion to my collection in terms of numbers)...but sure enough about a month after I bought it I found a DSSD and had to purchase (this was over a year ago when it wasn't very easy to find a DSSD). So, the Breitling didn't stay in the collection too long. I'm sure I'll get another soon as I've seen a few w/ their new collection that look promising via pictures.

SA vs Sub Date lume:

I got exactly the Skyland avenger and omega seamaster like you but just no Rolex, they are great watch ya... is really base on "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" :)
iDamo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 09:31 AM   #6
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone Daytona
Quote:

Yeah I agree with this 100% I would go for them and like a few of there models but the bracelets always look really loose and flimsy I don’t have one but if I were to go down the breitling route I would go for a strap
slimboy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 10:53 PM   #7
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimboy1974 View Post
Yeah I agree with this 100% I would go for them and like a few of there models but the bracelets always look really loose and flimsy I don’t have one but if I were to go down the breitling route I would go for a strap
It’s that right? Have you tried on a breitling bracelet. I have a 16610 and owned a chronomat and the bracelet was 3 times heavier, no rattle, and the clasp tight and exceptional. Now that was a 2001 chronomat. I also tried on a navitimer bracelet and is was the same. I have found breitling bracelets to be on par if not better than my Rolex bracelets. Better than my omega for sure.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 07:13 AM   #8
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
It’s that right? Have you tried on a breitling bracelet. I have a 16610 and owned a chronomat and the bracelet was 3 times heavier, no rattle, and the clasp tight and exceptional. Now that was a 2001 chronomat. I also tried on a navitimer bracelet and is was the same. I have found breitling bracelets to be on par if not better than my Rolex bracelets. Better than my omega for sure.
Agree, the pilot and pro2 bracelets I have owned were excellent, substantive yet comfy, Rolex upped their tired game with the glidelock which was very needed. Only AP perhaps make a better bracelet than Breitling, but then you do have to pay for it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 03:57 PM   #9
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Agree, the pilot and pro2 bracelets I have owned were excellent, substantive yet comfy, Rolex upped their tired game with the glidelock which was very needed. Only AP perhaps make a better bracelet than Breitling, but then you do have to pay for it.
Very true. My first mechanical watch was a Breitling Colt with the professional bracelet. My second mechanical watch was a 14060. When I compared the Rolex to the Breitling I was used to wearing, I was disappointed. Breitling bracelets, even 20 years ago, were great.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 06:50 AM   #10
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

After reading these posts has got me interested in the breitling navitimer 01 I really like the look of the alligator strap, does this last well? Also do breitling offer discounts on their range?
Old 31 July 2020, 12:49 PM   #11
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimboy1974 View Post
After reading these posts has got me interested in the breitling navitimer 01 I really like the look of the alligator strap, does this last well? Also do breitling offer discounts on their range?
Discounts are readily available in the US on Breitlings. I’d still recommend picking up the bracelet along with the strap.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 08:03 AM   #12
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Tbh I’ve never tried one on it was purely a visual thing the way I thought it looked, I really like the dials on the breitling and sure I will get one in time