The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 August 2020, 03:24 AM   #31
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

My wife bought me my Sea-Dweller 16600 to celebrate our 10th Christmas together. Still love the watch.......and my wife
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 03:32 AM   #32
B.F. Pigeon
"TRF" Member

It was a reward to myself after spending a full (and first) year working far away from home and family. In the meantime, things have changed; "home" is not a solid definition any more, and my first is now joined by a few others. Nevertheless, my first is still my go-to watch and it makes me smile and feel good, every time I look at it.
B.F. Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 05:28 AM   #33
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
When I was 13 I fell in love with my Dad's Rolex DJ 1601 TT jubilee, he drove him so crazy asking him that he bought another one and gave me his. Unfortunately I did not keep it.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 07:35 AM   #34
Orwic
"TRF" Member

I have always been interested in watches, and when young, used to stop and look in jewellers’ windows - the watches I admired the most, stretching over several years, were Rolexes. I decided I wanted a Rolex for my 21st Birthday, and broached the idea with my parents. As it happened, I did have the cash. I recall my mother was a bit (understatement) disappointed - she was very keen that I bought a carriage clock. Suffice to say I got my way and bought a Rolex Explorer. That was nearly 50 years ago. I’ve had Rolexes ever since. At the moment I only have two, a GMT ii black ceramic and a Sea Dweller I bought 20 years ago, (though I could easily be persuaded to get another). But here’s the thing about my first Rolex: 45 years later I sold it. I've regretted selling it ever since. I know you shouldn’t get too attached to physical objects, but somehow... my weak excuse to myself is that I was going through an intense period of ‘decluttering’, and though I’m still decluttering, I’ve learnt to put the Rolexes on the ‘keepers’ list!
Orwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 07:44 AM   #35
Orwic
"TRF" Member

I have always been interested in watches, and when young, used to stop and look in jewellers’ windows - the watches I admired the most, stretching over several years, were Rolexes. I decided I wanted a Rolex for my 21st Birthday, and broached the idea with my parents. As it happened, I did have the cash. I recall my mother was a bit (understatement) disappointed - she was very keen that I bought a carriage clock. Suffice to say I got my way and bought a Rolex Explorer. That was nearly 50 years ago. I’ve had Rolexes ever since. At the moment I only have two, a GMT ii black ceramic and a Sea Dweller I bought 20 years ago, (though I could easily be persuaded to get another). But here’s the thing about my first Rolex: 45 years later I sold it. I've regretted selling it ever since. I know you shouldn’t get too attached to physical objects, but somehow... my weak excuse to myself is that I was going through an intense period of ‘decluttering’, and though I’m still decluttering, I’ve learnt to put the Rolexes on the ‘keepers’ list!
Orwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 08:04 AM   #36
crcjr1963
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
First post for me but I am a long time Rolex owner. I received my first Rolex, a stainless and gold Datejust for college graduation 1988. I bought my second Rolex, a stainless Submariner, from an AD in 2000. I bought my third Rolex, a stainless Skydweller with the white face from an AD in early 2019. I gave the Submariner to my son for his college graduation and the Datejust to my daughter for her college graduation. That is why I bought the Skydweller, which I love more than the two other Rolex’s.
crcjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 08:36 AM   #37
Chad072
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!
I was 30 and had been a "watch guy" my whole life. I remember being a young kid and going to Walmart with my parents, and I always took off to look at the watches (this was back when parents could let their <10 year old children roam stores without fear). I remember getting a couple of Casio and Timex watches for my birthdays and thought I had moved to the big leagues when my parents bought me a Fossil as I entered Middle School.

The Rolex Submariner was the watch that sparked my interests when I was a tot and my grail, so I started saving a little from each paycheck I got after I graduated college specifically to buy a sub. Within a few years, I had enough but that's when the recession hit in '07, so I decided to be an adult and buy a house given the number of foreclosures on the market below market value, and I didn't want to part with the watch money in case my company decided I wasn't needed any longer. But to scratch the itch, I bought my Omega to tie me over. Economy rebounded and I was looking, but then I met someone...FF a year and I'm looking at engagement rings. Decided to hold off a little longer as we knew we would be selling my place and building a new house.

So, finally married and in the new house, and I begin looking again. I wasn't a fan of the new ceramic models, so knew I would be looking at used, and started researching sellers on this board, WUS, and a couple of other boards. When we got married, we decided we would not try for kids until we were married a year in order to have a life as a married couple. First anniversary arrives and she reminds me of the decision we made...crap. I'm never getting this damn thing.

Right before our anniversary, we booked a 2 week trip to Alaska to visit one of her old college teammates who lived there at the time. As we were at the airport leaving on the trip, I told her how I always wanted a sub but life seemed to always throw something at me to make me want to save that money, and since we were in a good financial position, I wanted to buy it before we had kids, and she was cool with it. By that time, I had narrowed down a few different sellers I was comfortable with, so I began looking at the boards a few times a day waiting for a 16610 to be posted.

A couple nice pieces were posted while I was there, so I reached out to the sellers to discuss the watches with them. Then about 1/2 of the way through the trip, a trusted seller on TRF posted a NIB 16610. It was priced at a premium over some of the others I was looking at, but what's better than a new watch? After a few days of emailing back and forth, it switched to a phone conversation. In the parking lot of a Fred Meyer in Anchorage, AK, I committed to purchase the watch. I explained I was on vacation and wouldn't be able to do anything until I got back to Houston, and somehow, he trusted me.

The next week when I was back home, he sent me the necessary details and I forwarded him the money. Later that day, he sent me a tracking number.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Rolex Submariner 16610
Chad072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 09:03 AM   #38
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Whats the story behind your first Rolex?

I’m 36 and purchased my first Rolex a few months ago. It’s my daily watch and my only premium watch. I’ve owned many a Timex, Invicta and G-Shock. A 5 digit bluesy has always been my grail and really the only watch I ever wanted. I bought one during Covid. Next is a 5 digit YG bluesy because it wasn’t feasible when I purchased the 16613. Making new goals since I’ve accomplished my previous goals.

The Invicta not in the box went through a motorcycle accident. I found it the next day. The Timex is still ticking even though it’s missing the crown. Never worn the leather strap watch. It was acquired at a charity auction. The other invictas have been put through the ringer and haven’t worked in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 10:12 AM   #39
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
I was 23 and my buddies brother had a 36mm DJ, white with fluted bezel and romans. I know nothing about Rolex so I got online (AOL) and bought the exact same watch from Bob's Watches, talk about being unoriginal. After wearing it for about 4 years I got into other sport watches, Tag, Breitling, Panerai, and stopped wearing the DJ other then as a dress watch. I sold it 4 years ago. It's strange because I sometime regret selling it as it was my first Rolex even though I know I would never wear it. 36mm is just too small for my tastes. I have often thought of replacing it with a DJ41 with the same specs.
Old 14 August 2020, 10:17 AM   #40
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I was 20 and bought myself a 14060 shortly after joining the Marines. I don't recall the exact price, but I believe it was $2800 out the door from an AD (oh, the good old days!). This watch was giving me a bunch of headaches and I traded it about 15 years ago, which I really regret now.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 10:26 AM   #41
JChips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
I was 20 and bought myself a 14060 shortly after joining the Marines. I don't recall the exact price, but I believe it was $2800 out the door from an AD (oh, the good old days!). This watch was giving me a bunch of headaches and I traded it about 15 years ago, which I really regret now.

Similar story. Bought my first Rolex (14060) once I tabbed up, newly minted OR-5 or 6. Can’t remember now.

Still have it and it’s been through schools and deployments on a consistent basis.

It was probably the most expensive thing I owned at the time, although I got into some custom guns and knives rather quickly as well.

It was probably too expensive for me at the time and not the wisest purchase, but shit worked out anyways. I’m still alive and the watch is still keeping time.

I blame unofficial peer pressure and watching a lot of more seasoned guys wearing Subs and GMTs. Sort of became an unofficial uniform requirement.

JChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 10:30 AM   #42
tyncam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx04 View Post
When did you get your first Rolex? How old were you? Were you into watches before then, or was it your first one?

I'm 36 and recently put a deposit down on my first Rolex (214270)...excited to get it. Ive always thought watches were cool, but was never into it as a hobby. I knew very little about brands/references/history until a few months ago.

My first watch was a Citizen Ecodrive in high school. I wore that for a few years and then went without a watch for 6-7 years. After grad school, my parents gifted me a Tag Link Calibre S.....Ive worn that for the past decade and haven't really put in much thought about how it worked, the build quality, style, etc.... Its been a daily wear, beat the crap out of it, and I must say its held up damn well.

The Explorer will be my first automatic, and im already looking into other options for future purchases, haha. Im looking to build a minimalist, high quality collection.....Grand Seiko Snowflake or Omega Speedmaster Pro (hesalite/leather strap) are high on the list for the next one. Probably looking to max out at 3-4 watches total.

How did your watch hobby evolve?
Congratulations on your first purchase. I started my collection with the same reference and it's a classic and timeless Rolex.

I've also added a Daytona and GMT and you may find that this "hobby" starts with one reference and builds from there as members of this community can attest to ...
tyncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 02:59 PM   #43
K3ndr1c
"TRF" Member

Icon5

23 years old, a friend of mine sold me his watch right off his wrist tt datejust 36mm with champagne dial and diamonds. Now I’m just a addict. Never stopped bought dj41 tt Wimbledon dial for my 30th birthday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ABE6E3A3-332C-45F3-BD7C-4AEE825A6959.jpeg (73.8 KB, 62 views)
K3ndr1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 03:49 PM   #44
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
First Rolex

My 1st Rolex was a late 70's Sub that I bought used while working as a Diver but I did not have it very long and traded it for a pistol.

I bought my first real owner in 1982. It was a Seadweller. I was a bit under $1000 USD. I owned it for about 11 years.

Since then I have had quite a few others including 2 GMT's probably four Subs and a DSSD.

But my real favorite has always been the Seadweller. I have had at least four of them including my current SD43. It and the newer BLNR GMT are keepers for a long while, hopefully.

HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 06:01 PM   #45
Waddy1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub date.
Always wanted a Sub from as long as I could ever remember. When I finally had the money to be able to get one, I did. I wear it every day and it never comes off the wrist. I don't like any watch with gold on so the SS Rolex were perfect, also I am a Bond fan and always wanted his watch.
Its funny because I got a Pepsi a few weeks ago from the AD... I have tried and tried to wear it and it lasts a day max, until I have to put my sub back on. I think it is because it took me so long to get the Sub and it was always my real watch love, I just hate not wearing it.
It will be something I will never ever get rid of.
Waddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 09:48 PM   #46
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
I was probably 24. I was a professional poker player. At the time I wore a concord Saratoga diamond watch. I had just won about 5k that night and went into the jewelry store. Was told I could buy an 16570 explorer ll or pay 1k more and buy a submariner. Had no idea why anyone would buy a submariner over the explorer ll. She told me she would give me 2k for my watch. Done deal.

I wore my Rolex for 3 years. I thought I would get the credit for having a Rolex in my circles. Little did I know I turned down the most iconic watch on the planet for the most stealth Rolex they made. In all my time I never got one compliment on the watch. I sold that watch and moved to other brands such as JLC. Now I’m back full circle to Rolex again.

On a side note I remember a man begging me to give him 1k and my 16570 for some weird submariner with a green bezel. He said he had it for almost 3 years and no one wanted to buy it. If I only knew then what I knew now. Lol

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 10:57 PM   #47
cob427
"TRF" Member

Icon12

My ex wife bought me a new 5513 sub for Valentine's Day in 1986. Fast forward to 2015 my wife of 16 years bought me an new s/s Daytona 16520 for Christmas ! Boy i love women!
cob427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 04:29 AM   #48
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Got my first after working for 35 years and retiring at the age of 55 in 2014. Didn't get the watch until I turned 60. The Air King was my first, then the bug hit me and got my DJ41 5 months later. Love them both and well earned. No regrets..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote