The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 August 2020, 02:13 AM   #31
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
Bezel insert is the original one, they never changed it.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
I think it looks fantastic. Would you sell it? If so I’m sure it would fly on sales corner in current “condition”
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 02:30 AM   #32
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
As can clearly see the polished watch has lost all of it original sharp edges and has gained the infamous Bexley bevel. Even the definition of the Rolex crown on the clasp has diminished.
Hard to tell as different lighting and different positions change the actual. It's still a beautiful watch.

What is it that you actually want anyone to do?
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 02:46 AM   #33
1665fan
"TRF" Member

That sucks....that’s why independents are better....Rolex will ruin your watch and not care...
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 02:51 AM   #34
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Out of curiosity what solutions have they offered?
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 03:27 AM   #35
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger67 View Post
It’s so annoying when firm instructions given are overlooked, don’t know if you will have the same feeling for the watch now, on the upside to me it doesn’t look too bad but it’s not my watch, hope they compensate you well (as previous post) but whatever they do it may not be enough to bring back the love, please let us know the outcome.
Same thoughts here

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_turk View Post
My watch gained the Bexley Bevel many years ago now, but it has annoyed me ever since. Back then, I didn't know very much about polishing or the process, I just took my watch for a service as I thought it was the right thing to do. Anyway, when I got it back it came as a big and quite unpleasant surprise that the case shape had changed so much.

For a long time now, my plan was to have as much of the original case shape as possible restored via laser welding. I originally though that shipping my watch to Rolliworks in the USA was the only option, which I was always a little anxious about.

Anyway, I've now found Watchworks in Bristol. My watch is booked in with them for a service and laser welding. It will never be 'unpolished', but if all goes to plan, at least the shape of the case will be more sympathetic to that which left the factory in Geneva. I'll post up the result when the work is done.
I have also heard about Watchworks in Bristol and they always make me think of Rolliworks in the US. I wonder if they are similar?!

Please post here when the work has been carried out.

Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 03:35 AM   #36
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
I think there is an argument for a bit of over exuberant polishing. The original watch looks like it was in good order and even if polished should have been a subtle result. Looking at five digit subs the case edges where that polished edge rolled over at the brushed edge seemed to have some variability of where Rolex finished them over the years. Your original piece barely had a polished edge into the brushed edge. After the work, The case edges don't seem to have consistent placement of the where the polished edge meets the brushed edge. The bracelet crown was just wiped out. In real world terms, this can certainly diminish the value of the piece.
Old 14 August 2020, 04:15 AM   #37
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
I understand your anger OP, since you looked far and wide for this one, but at least it still looks ok. If you can’t stand it, move it on and start your search again.
Old 14 August 2020, 04:36 AM   #38
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
FWIW

www.watchcentre.com in Bond Street have a 2009 16610lv just back from a 2020 rsc service in Feb have a look at the chamfers on this example .
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 04:38 AM   #39
Pekket
"TRF" Member

The polishing seems way too heavy considering the original condition. Based on pictures I’ve seen, RSC does not put in a bevel on watches that weren’t originally beveled. Especially as your case showed no major damage on the edges where brushed meets solid. Looks like they failed both at following your instructions and at the actual work undertaken.

Hope that you got a good compensation deal from the AD. And, as the comments here show, you’ll have no problem selling it.
Pekket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 06:12 AM   #40
zen123
"TRF" Member

To address some of the questions posed by some members regarding this matter. Of all the watches I own only 2 of them were bought brand new from AD, a GMT back in 1998 & BB58 Blue from a couple of weeks ago, the rest of them are pre-owned & most if not all of them are in their original unpolished condition along with the scuffs & marks accumulated over its lifetime. I genuinely prefer them that way, that's just me, I understand others that insist their watches come back polished & looking pristine though.

I've had a few watches go to RSC for service just these past couple of years and all have come back un-polished as requested. This time they made a mistake and its the way they are handling it that has me irked. Also the initial offer of 20% discount on the service cost was from the AD and NOT RSC as I first thought. Anyway I have expressed my dissatisfaction over the phone with RSC and am awaiting a call or email back from them.
zen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 06:24 AM   #41
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To address some of the questions posed by some members regarding this matter. Of all the watches I own only 2 of them were bought brand new from AD, a GMT back in 1998 & BB58 Blue from a couple of weeks ago, the rest of them are pre-owned & most if not all of them are in their original unpolished condition along with the scuffs & marks accumulated over its lifetime. I genuinely prefer them that way, that's just me, I understand others that insist their watches come back polished & looking pristine though.

I've had a few watches go to RSC for service just these past couple of years and all have come back un-polished as requested. This time they made a mistake and its the way they are handling it that has me irked. Also the initial offer of 20% discount on the service cost was from the AD and NOT RSC as I first thought. Anyway I have expressed my dissatisfaction over the phone with RSC and am awaiting a call or email back from them.
Totally bites that they did not follow your instructions. I think it looks great but not being the owner, it doesn't matter.

I am curious as to what you feel would make you whole?
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 06:33 AM   #42
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

Looks good to me, enjoy it and be thankful for the things you have in life.
Xtralarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 06:35 AM   #43
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Where did the crown guards go? That's awful.

I was in the "wait and see" camp. I'm very sorry this is the result. The question is, now what?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 07:33 AM   #44
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
It looks ok and it doesnt. I would be highly pissed even if you asked for a polish job. The coronet on the clasp and the crown guards are by far the worst. The bevel I dont think is too bad imho but the rest yikes.

Did you check and see if that dust was inside or out? I hope for you its out. If not I'd literally blow a gasket.
Old 14 August 2020, 08:38 AM   #45
zen123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
It looks ok and it doesnt. I would be highly pissed even if you asked for a polish job. The coronet on the clasp and the crown guards are by far the worst. The bevel I dont think is too bad imho but the rest yikes.

Did you check and see if that dust was inside or out? I hope for you its out. If not I'd literally blow a gasket.
Dust is outside.

Just looked over the watch again and noticed the uneven polishing of the lugs. At 12 o'clock it actualky looks OK but over polished lugs at 6 o'clock

Old 14 August 2020, 09:10 AM   #46
Strad
"TRF" Member

I had my 16610 LV serviced at Lititz PA. I am, for the most part, very pleased with the job. The only thing that bothers me is that when they polish the bezel, the knurling is not as sharp. You can definitely see and feel the difference between a new submariner bezel and a submariner with a polished bezel.

In the future I would probably not polish the bezel. The lugs, crown on the bracelet, crown guards etc. look fine to me.

What drove me to service is that the watch had lost a lot of accuracy. Now it is accurate. That to me is the main goal.
Strad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 01:33 PM   #47
samuel019

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Dust is outside.

Just looked over the watch again and noticed the uneven polishing of the lugs. At 12 o'clock it actualky looks OK but over polished lugs at 6 o'clock

I’m sorry brother. I hate this happened to you. Hopefully Rolex themselves does something for you. I use Rolliworks here in the US for my needs. They did my 16600 and I specifically asked not to polish certain areas etc and they did exactly what I asked.

Good luck with Rolex mate. Please keep us posted with Rolex’s stand. I’m very very curious. Plus to all those that said it looks fine/no biggie it’s your watch and the only opinion that matters is yours. Unfortunately posting on a forum you’re gonna get opinions that you may not want. Good luck.
Old 14 August 2020, 02:29 PM   #48
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
For those that don't know the story, I took my LV for service via AD & with explicit instructions to RSC not to polish the watch but they did.

So got the call yesterday to collect my Kermit after servicing. I've attached a couple of before and after pictures of my watch. As can clearly see the polished watch has lost all of it original sharp edges and has gained the infamous Bexley bevel. Even the definition of the Rolex crown on the clasp has diminished.

The AD was very apologetic but it wasn't their fault. I was offered a few incentives to soften my disappointment but as for RSC, still waiting to hear back from them.

Still, this is the most beautiful Kermit I’ve seen to date.
Don’t be disappointed my friend, enjoy this beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 August 2020, 02:57 PM   #49
ToyotaMoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40,DJ41,OP41,Sub
Damn man. That really sucks. I’m a Kermit owner as well and I would be pissed as well if that happened to me. I really don’t know what RSC can really offer to make up for this. A hulk is not a substitute for a Kermit. I know a lot of people are saying it still looks good, but that second picture you posted really tells the story of what happened.

Please keep us posted.
ToyotaMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 07:39 PM   #50
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_turk View Post
Anyway, I've now found Watchworks in Bristol.
Guess where they got their lapping machine from?
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 07:48 PM   #51
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
These threads are common ......................

IMO

I do not understand why any forum member would send a watch to an RSC unless there is a warranty issue.

Off to RolliWorks or LAWW for a case restoration.
Old 14 August 2020, 08:03 PM   #52
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree and would hardly call it a fail,as it looks all good to me..
Agreed. It looks great!

OMG, I agreed with Peter for once
Old 14 August 2020, 08:08 PM   #53
Woody
"TRF" Member

Looking at your original picture the crown guards look to have already been polished at some time prior to your buying the watch......but that aside, I think your only option is to move the watch on and to continue your search for another example. Not sure what you are asking the RSC to do to make this right (I guess waving the service costs is about the most they could do) but whatever they do will not bring the watch back to how you would like it. I have dealt with the UK RSC many, many times and have had nothing but excellent service. As others have said, I think your watch looks great but appreciate that you do not share this view (and I understand why). At least now with an RSC service you should have no problems quickly selling this watch. Probably best to put this down to experience and I am sure that when you find an even better example you will look back and think that it all worked out for the best in the end. Good luck.
Woody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 08:16 PM   #54
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
Looks better now. Move along.
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 09:56 PM   #55
Raffles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
I was considering sending my 16600 Sea Dweller to the RSC for it's first ever service....reading through this thread and looking at the before and after photos, I would be horrified if they did that to my watch. I was under the impression that if you specified "no polishing", then they wouldn't polish.
I feel that I couldn't take the risk that the RSC "may or may not" respect my wishes.
I think that it is highly unprofessional of the RSC to do this.

Can anyone recommend a UK watchmaker who could do the service work?
Raffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 10:05 PM   #56
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am sorry that this happened and it would be a disappointment for me also. With that said, I think the watch looks great, not what you wanted, but for a polished watch it is good. I would either sell as is, if I could not live with it or get to wearing and enjoying it. I would do the latter. In 10-15 years when it needs a service an independent would be my choice, not RSC. I have moved away from most items that are "nice" or very collectible and valuable. This is watches, cars, real estate, art, etc. It takes a lot of energy to find and keep these items in top order and life has a tendency to put wear on them and cause me stress. Not saying I don't have nice things, only things that if this happened to me I could shrug and move on. Good luck and keep us posted.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 12:05 AM   #57
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
I was hoping it was going to be a really good refinish but I agree that it’s just not great. Disappointing from an RSC. It sounds like you’re not going to get over this (I probably wouldn’t either) so best bet is probably to sell and restart your search.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 02:25 AM   #58
zen123
"TRF" Member

I have been in touch with RSC and the watch will be making its way back to them to assess the "concerns I have brought up". I hope they're not thinking of polishing down the lugs at 12 o'clock to match the the other side.

I was thinking of asking them to replace the case, would that be viable?
Old 15 August 2020, 02:36 AM   #59
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
I have been in touch with RSC and the watch will be making its way back to them to assess the "concerns I have brought up". I hope they're not thinking of polishing down the lugs at 12 o'clock to match the the other side.

I was thinking of asking them to replace the case, would that be viable?
I never hurts to ask. I can't see a 16610 case costing Rolex that much to manufacture, maybe a few hundred dollars?
Old 15 August 2020, 03:00 AM   #60
DM101
"TRF" Member

I m no expert in this area but this post may interest you https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...e+serial+wrong
DM101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customer service , service centre