The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 14 August 2020, 03:47 AM   #91
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
I love how everyone in here claims to know what to do better than OP. .
If the OP knows what best to do for this "boy", why is he asking a forum of strangers what watch he would like?
Old 14 August 2020, 03:52 AM   #92
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

I’d say let him pick it out.
Old 14 August 2020, 03:55 AM   #93
Bassplayer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wife says too many
My 2c - buy the watch and put in safe until 21. Let him know how much you paid and in a few years, maybe you show the appreciation of the watch. Life lesson.

FWIW - would never buy and allow my teenager to wear a Rolex in public. Optics and situational awareness would not be in his favor. Avoid like the plague...

" I prefer to drink; not drive "
John Alec Entwistle
Old 14 August 2020, 03:56 AM   #94
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Thank goodness I didn’t get a Rolex at 15. I got it when I was 7. What would the kids at school think of me...
Old 14 August 2020, 03:57 AM   #95
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
OP, disregard the rude responses in the this thread. Looks like Gran Canaria is small island and probably has minimal crime.

I'm sure most of the members that have responded would buy their teenage kids a car when they are old enough to drive. So why think that a $5-7K watch is more dangerous or risky?

My son is 10 and he knows that one day my Explorer I will be his when he's ready. I've taught him to value and appreciate nice things.
Old 14 August 2020, 03:58 AM   #96
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyDweller 326933
Putting all the obvious concerns aside, I would just ask him lol. Something that personal is always best chosen by the person who will own/wear it. Has he expressed his own interests in any particular rolex reference? Does this have to be a surprise?

Mike
Old 14 August 2020, 03:58 AM   #97
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Get him an Explorer and turn him from a 15 year old boy to a 15 year old man.
Old 14 August 2020, 03:59 AM   #98
madjones
"TRF" Member

I gave my nephew an Alpina Seastrong for his graduation this year...if he takes care of it while in college and has an appreciation for watches then he can have his choice of any of my Rolex’s when he graduates.
Old 14 August 2020, 04:06 AM   #99
ZeGerman11
"TRF" Member

My opinion in two parts, subject to the answer of this question - is the boy your son?

If yes: We know nothing about him. What are his interests, what is his style, how big/small is he? Those are just a few of many variables that can factor into the decision. We’re all just taking shots in the dark here. This thread isn’t anywhere close to a consensus (these “what should I do” threads rarely ever are).

With that said, my shot in the dark would be a 5-digit Exp II. Durable, good balance of size, not heavy or bulky, not as flashy as other models. Just a good, solid watch that is stylish, not extraordinarily expensive, and worst case it’s replaceable.

If no: Perhaps have a discussion with the parents. Present them with some options and see what they recommend. Also, out of respect for them, make sure you aren’t stepping on their toes. Meaning, make sure you aren’t doing something the father was planning to do for a high school or college graduation gift, or something like that. Your gift may lessen the sentimental value or significance of that gesture.
Old 14 August 2020, 04:10 AM   #100
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15450ST Blue
Come on guys it’s not like he’s buying his son a RM. OP specifically said in his first post he wasn’t interested in any TRF parenting advice from those perpetually on the moral high ground. You can be mugged as an adult as well. Why post if you’re not answering his question?

OP to your question it depends on his wrist size. I bought my first airking (34mm) at around 17 and it fit fine. My decision mostly centered on it being the cheapest modern Rolex I could find at the time as I was paying for it myself with money from a part time job.
The airking could be a great option for him as well along with the others you already have on your radar. Sounds like you are on the right track.
Nothing wrong with sharing your passion for watches with your son or buying your child something nice if you have the means to do so. I intend to do the same with my son when he is older.
Old 14 August 2020, 04:14 AM   #101
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
If the OP knows what best to do for this "boy", why is he asking a forum of strangers what watch he would like?
This made me laugh
Old 14 August 2020, 04:19 AM   #102
OpusXIII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy, Hulk, DJ
15 year old gifted with a Rolex? Yeah, no wonder kids these days are so mucked up.
Old 14 August 2020, 04:21 AM   #103
albertf
"TRF" Member

How big is his wrist?

I'd lean towards a 39-40mm watch since it seems like younger people dont really prefer the classically sized 36mm watches.

I feel like the milgauss is a good sportier option v. datejust
Old 14 August 2020, 04:30 AM   #104
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The one on your wrist makes it special
Old 14 August 2020, 04:38 AM   #105
drb477
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg6067 View Post
Come on guys it’s not like he’s buying his son a RM. OP specifically said in his first post he wasn’t interested in any TRF parenting advice from those perpetually on the moral high ground. You can be mugged as an adult as well. Why post if you’re not answering his question?
To be fair, he did not post that last part until he got a bunch of responses that buying a Rolex for 15 yo is (at best) a really questionable decision. And if one was unable to predict that when posting a question about buying a Rolex for a 15 year old to a public message board wasn't going to be met with such responses... welcome to the Internet it must be your first day here.
Old 14 August 2020, 04:41 AM   #106
Bassplayer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wife says too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelious View Post
OP, disregard the rude responses in the this thread. Looks like Gran Canaria is small island and probably has minimal crime.

I'm sure most of the members that have responded would buy their teenage kids a car when they are old enough to drive. So why think that a $5-7K watch is more dangerous or risky?

My son is 10 and he knows that one day my Explorer I will be his when he's ready. I've taught him to value and appreciate nice things.
I didn't see "rude" responses. And, yes we buy our kids cars but not a S550 because they like it and we can afford it.

OP, buy him what you and he feel is appropriate and enjoy in good health - but expect various responses when you ask a forum what Rolex to buy a 15 year old...

" I prefer to drink; not drive "
John Alec Entwistle
Old 14 August 2020, 05:06 AM   #107
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15450ST Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb477 View Post
To be fair, he did not post that last part until he got a bunch of responses that buying a Rolex for 15 yo is (at best) a really questionable decision. And if one was unable to predict that when posting a question about buying a Rolex for a 15 year old to a public message board wasn't going to be met with such responses... welcome to the Internet it must be your first day here.
Makes sense, by the time I read the post it had already been updated. Those responses are par for the course although still superfluous. Seems a bit silly to be judging OP’s purchase on a luxury watch board with an affinity for unnecessary purchases.
Old 14 August 2020, 05:09 AM   #108
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
What Rolex would be ideal for a 15-year-old boy?

1.Oyster Perpetual 36mm

2.Explorer 114270 36mm

3.Datejust 36mm

Any other ideas?

He's a responsible guy who appreciates the world of watches and knows the value of a Rolex. I don't expect to be given any kind of morality, behavior or how to educate young people. Thank you
ExpI in my books. Though I might be tempted to say the larger size to hedge for a growth spurt. Oyster peep looks like the dad’s pick, and DJ won’t match with age.
Old 14 August 2020, 05:11 AM   #109
AshCashEmAll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060
Buy him what he wants... no point in going cheap now if you’re willing to get him a watch let it be something he will be proud of and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 August 2020, 05:13 AM   #110
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fortunately I don't live in the suburbs of Detroit, Oakland, Ciudad Juárez or Tijuana. Have you ever thought that I could live in a city where crime is almost insignificant?

Op you seemingly posted a provocative topic that you indicated might cause controversy - “He's a responsible guy who appreciates the world of watches and knows the value of a Rolex. I don't expect to be given any kind of morality, behavior or how to educate young people”.- You then appear to basically go on to bait members again
with your follow up insulting stereotypical comments, such as the one referenced. So why challenge the well intentioned members responses not to your liking, costs nothing to read divergent opinions?

My question is are you wanting a Rolex for your son as he really wants and could appreciate one or are you wanting it so Your Son can be seen wearing a Rolex? If the former make him source the one he wants so he learns how to negotiate and he deals with the frustrations of acquiring his choices in life. But that would be educating him. If the later ........ Google.... spain rolex thefts. Wow!
Old 14 August 2020, 05:16 AM   #111
SearChart
TechXpert

Olive green OP 34.
Old 14 August 2020, 05:16 AM   #112
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I’ve seen some 15 yr olds that look like defensive tackles so there is a possibility the kid will be perfectly safe wearing it.

I wouldn’t buy any of those watches for my 15 yr old unless it was their style and they EARNED it. I was a very independent 15 yr old, I destroyed everything I owned.

So, if I was going to purchase my incredibly responsible perfect 15 yr old a watch. I would take them to a grey that sells used watches and let them try a few on. See what the young mans style is, then purchase a used watch.

If he takes good care of the used watch then he may be lucky enough to be gifted a new better watch for a special occasion. Kids gonna be just as surprised when he thinks he is just trying watches on for fun and then you buy it for him right there as he would be if it comes out of the blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 August 2020, 05:17 AM   #113
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
When I was around his age, I got my first one DJ 36. I think given another whirl at life, I'd go with the explorer as the function is pretty awesome.
Old 14 August 2020, 05:22 AM   #114
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Explorer!!!!

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
Old 14 August 2020, 05:28 AM   #115
AD337
"TRF" Member

First and foremost before I’d even consider which model and size etc ... the main thing of importance is, is he the type of kid who will truly appreciate it for what it is..? Will he take wonderful top notch cars of it, and so on..?? I think it’s entirely appropriate as long he’s gonna take care of it, is into it, etc...
Old 14 August 2020, 05:29 AM   #116
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
explorer!!!!

Enviado desde mi sm-g975f mediante tapatalk
+1
Old 14 August 2020, 05:34 AM   #117
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
What Rolex would be ideal for a 15-year-old boy?

1.Oyster Perpetual 36mm

2.Explorer 114270 36mm

3.Datejust 36mm

Any other ideas?

He's a responsible guy who appreciates the world of watches and knows the value of a Rolex. I don't expect to be given any kind of morality, behavior or how to educate young people. Thank you
Thinking back to when I was 15, I always had a watch with functionality. I always had something like an Ironman Timex or g shock. But around 15, I started becoming interested in nicer watches. I always maintained wrist discipline/awareness with them, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I think I would have liked a submariner. It has real functionality, is classic, and will last his lifetime. I love a Datejust, but I'm not sure 15 year old Brian would have.

It also depends on the size of your son.

By the way, Gran Canaria looks beautiful. Also instrumental in the Apollo program with the MSFN.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
Old 14 August 2020, 05:44 AM   #118
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

I’d go with either the ExpI or the OP39 with a nice engraving on the back from dad.
Old 14 August 2020, 05:45 AM   #119
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
i dunno...all i know, he is just 15 yrs old and why ask, why not just do it...
Old 14 August 2020, 05:49 AM   #120
Iulian.Butum
"TRF" Member

Hi,my boys are 15 years old but not too much interest in watches even though they had timex and G-Shock already,by the way I live in Tenerife so maybe one day we can drink and talk watches in person!
Closed Thread