The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 August 2020, 12:25 PM   #1
wrx04
"TRF" Member

Whats the story behind your first Rolex?

When did you get your first Rolex? How old were you? Were you into watches before then, or was it your first one?

I'm 36 and recently put a deposit down on my first Rolex (214270)...excited to get it. Ive always thought watches were cool, but was never into it as a hobby. I knew very little about brands/references/history until a few months ago.

My first watch was a Citizen Ecodrive in high school. I wore that for a few years and then went without a watch for 6-7 years. After grad school, my parents gifted me a Tag Link Calibre S.....Ive worn that for the past decade and haven't really put in much thought about how it worked, the build quality, style, etc.... Its been a daily wear, beat the crap out of it, and I must say its held up damn well.

The Explorer will be my first automatic, and im already looking into other options for future purchases, haha. Im looking to build a minimalist, high quality collection.....Grand Seiko Snowflake or Omega Speedmaster Pro (hesalite/leather strap) are high on the list for the next one. Probably looking to max out at 3-4 watches total.

How did your watch hobby evolve?
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:11 PM   #2
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
My wife surprised me with a new Submariner date for my birthday in 1979. I already had three other watches or so but nothing significant however, the seeds were sown and I’ve been trading and collecting since. Rolex watches are still my favorite and imo good bang for the buck.
Old 13 August 2020, 01:26 PM   #3
kcgunner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
My story is I got the call yesterday after waiting 9 months. I wanted it as a promotion gift to myself. I went in and picked up my Submariner date and had a great experience. I love the watch and can't take it off my wrist!
kcgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:37 PM   #4
pav1987
"TRF" Member

Bought a DJ 41 for my 30th Birthday. Got stolen about a year after, and didn’t want to buy another expensive watch. Waited another year and missed the watch on my wrist so ordered another one from my AD. Currently next in line for a Submariner Date as well. Lesson learned buy insurance.
pav1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:50 PM   #5
chipmunk604
"TRF" Member

My first Rolex (DJ36 116200 Smooth/Oyster/Blue Romans), first luxury watch at age 34. I was grinding poker on the weekends for 1.5 years and saved my winnings for it.
chipmunk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 02:02 PM   #6
Rwith22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB, 214270
I bought my first Rolex in n celebration of my first child being born a 214270

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rwith22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 06:43 PM   #7
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Wanted one went into AD tried several on settled on a 16700 GMT haggled price down to £800 walked out of shop with it.

This was a long time ago.
Old 13 August 2020, 07:16 PM   #8
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
After graduating my first employer sent me to Saudi Arabia. I purchased a St St Daytona in Riyadh, must have been 1980. Lost it two years later 20 miles off the coast of the Ivory Coast when I caught the clasp climbing down a rope ladder on the side os a dive support vessel into an inflatable. The clasp opened, watch came off and fell into the sea. I can provide the exact location details if anyone wants to go and get it. Only issue its in about 400m water depth and probably well buried under seabed silt.
Replaced it with a 16750 GMT which has been my main everyday watch for the past 38 years and am wearing it now as I type.

Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 07:28 PM   #9
peterpl
Banned

For me its always nice to link a moment in life or an achievement with a nice watch. If you can do that whenever you look at it, it will always bring back good memories and what it took for you to get there. Bit of a momentum to remind you of where you came from and what you have/can achieve from hard work.

(i.e)

* First watch was a SS submariner when I graduated from university. It was a gift as I was too broke back then but it was an achievement to complete my 5 year degree.

* Second one was when I reached a milestone career wise. I hit a particular level at a certain age which I was very proud.

* Bought my first full gold piece once I reached a level of financial comfort and accomplishment which coincided with a very successful year in business.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 08:14 PM   #10
doramas
Banned

Saving, saving, saving...
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 08:28 PM   #11
330ci
"TRF" Member

Dreamed of owning one since I was a kid, had always seen the "a crown for every achievement" advertisements. and after I graduated highschool I got a really good job for U of M and decided that I wanted to start my career off with a Rolex to wear everyday. been wearing high end swiss watches everyday since. added a few to the collection and sold a few since, still have my first, although rarely ever wear it, I do have many fond memories with that watch though.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 08:52 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I was always fascinated with watches. I have no idea why. As a child I grew up with out a lot of things that my friends had and my family didn’t have much of disposable money for fancy things.

My mom would take us to town to do her weekly shopping and I remember we’d go by a jeweler who sold Rolex watches. I always thought they looked so beautiful. I also remember the ads in National Geographic and thought the people who wear these Rolex watches were so adventurous and see such beautiful places ... I guess I used to fantasize about owning a Rolex some day and wondering what I’d become.

Fast forward to 22 years of age, I had saved and saved my money from summer jobs and I finally had a full time job. I went to our local AD (Overgaard Jewelers) and the owner Grant sold me my very first Rolex a SeaDweller.

I was hooked then and I and still am now even though I didn’t grow up to become like a National Geographic adventurer
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 08:58 PM   #13
Watindes
"TRF" Member

I was sixteen and worked as a collection agent/diamond runner for some Jeweler’s in Philadelphia, including my family’s small pearl restringing shop. Living with parents and having no bills, I bought a 1601 Snow White dial and a 2ct bezel. Because you have to look fly in high school. Loved watches since I was young abs everyone knows what a Rolex was.
Watindes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 09:55 PM   #14
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
Was walking by a second hand watch shop I frequent and passed by the explorer 2 in the window display. I used to hate rolex cause all i knew was the datejust and sub-date which in nyc are rather ubiquitous. The 16570 was so polarizing of a watch that I became hell bent on getting one. Here we are.
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 10:14 PM   #15
Denvertimeguy
Banned

Was actually 8 months ago for myself... 29 years old and honestly waited until I felt comfortable “collecting watches”. Started with a YM Rhodium because I just loved the look and then immediately caught the green fever! I’ve purchased 9 watches since then and am actually going to pick up my YG Sub today... this one is my 30th Bday present to myself! Of course last month I got the PM Rootbeer for my “bday” and then 3 weeks before that the TT Bluesy was my “bday gift” so it’s been a hell of a month to say the least. Truly is amazing how quick your preferences and thoughts change.. didn’t expect to get any PM watches for least a year or two but now I don’t even care for the SS that I’m on the waitlist for!!

Denvertimeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 10:39 PM   #16
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
I love these stories! I like that a watch is literally by your side during some of the most important events in life. It serves as a marker, a reminder, and a memory...

My DJ41 was a gift from my boss a couple of years ago. I had come close to jumping to another employer and I think the watch was his way of thanking me. He said I was free to exchange it for another watch or an engagement ring but I wanted to keep the very watch that was picked out for me (although now I know it was probably one of the only few models available at the AD).

In the past two years, the watch has been with me at work, was with me when I proposed to my now-wife, was on my wrist when we got married and when we found out we’re pregnant. I hope I have it on when my child is born and I will pass it along down the line when the time is right.

The book “A Man and His Watch” is full of great stories!
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 11:52 PM   #17
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpee View Post

The book “A Man and His Watch” is full of great stories!
Congratulations to you both on your expectant arrival.

Looks like an interesting book, gets good reviews. Have just 'Amazon'ed it.

Thanks for the reference.

Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 12:13 AM   #18
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
I bought my first Rolex at 28, after saving to buy it. It was a 16610, I lost it in a beach after wearing it every single day for 7 years. Then I become in a way big fan of Rolex and I only buy Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 12:20 AM   #19
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwith22 View Post
I bought my first Rolex in n celebration of my first child being born a 214270

Born 6/28 by any chance? Guessing that's why that's where the time is stopped

---
I bought my first a couple months after proposing to my now wife (about 9-10 years ago). I spent a bunch of money on that ring and figured I should treat myself too
Old 14 August 2020, 01:25 AM   #20
knighty88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I planned to purchase my first Rolex for my 30th Birthday (now 32). I'd been into watches for a long time, and up until that point my only 'luxury' watch had been a Speedy Pro.

Wanting an Explorer 214270 I knew I had to play the AD waiting list game, and so went on the list 10 months before my birthday (to this day I've never heard from them). Being fortunate enough to go on holiday for my 30th, I planned to look around whilst overseas. I did however get hit by luck in the WOS boutique T3 at Heathrow... I 'had the cheek' to ask the AD - who made a call to a different terminal, and within 5 minutes I was back there paying for the watch :)

To anyone picking up a watch in the airport I will say... leave plenty of time! My fiancé was less than impressed when we had to run to the plane, and were the last onboard - that embarrassment was quashed when we took our seats and were offered the 'free bubbly' in business class.

I still look at that glass of bubbles as a toast to both my luck, and the watch being mine!
knighty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 01:32 AM   #21
kbutler1
"TRF" Member

Watch: This one
Wanted a Polar EXP II. Walked into an AD, tried it on, and said "let's do it".
kbutler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 01:42 AM   #22
mschipa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS and TT DJ
My wife got me one for our one year anniversary in 1990 when I was 29. We had no business buying that watch given early stage of our marriage and typical young person finances. It was a SS 16220. Flash forward 10 years and doing much better, she gave me a TT 16233 for my 40th and just a month ago she got me an Omega Speedmaster, that I'd been lusting over for a few years, just because (though I will be 60 this year).
mschipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 02:01 AM   #23
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I was 26 and had just landed my dream job and was about to have my 2nd child. My mother bought me a TT Datejust TOG with a white dial. It's a bit small on me now, but I do wear it from time to time. It will be passed down to one of my children. I was in love with the Pepsi GMT and never thought I could afford one, luckily, I've been able to get a Pepsi (or several) amongst other watches over the past decade or so.
Old 14 August 2020, 02:03 AM   #24
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Always liked watches, used to find and wear my father's two-tone Datejust on occasion but my daily at the time was a cheapo Seiko 5 automatic.

Bought an Explorer (114270) in my early 20s using my first pay cheque (paycheck to you Americans) from my graduate job.

The Explorer is still my favourite.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 02:36 AM   #25
Buckaroo Banzai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 12671
My first Rolex was my father's DJ.

He received this after achieving 25 years with IBM. That was back in 1982. He has always had Rolex watches prior to that and he gave his previous DJ to my brother. He gave me this watch in 2015. His eyesight was failing and so he gave it to me to use and keep safe.

Its stamped on the back with his name (which I blotted out) and his date of service along with the Crest of the IBM Quarter Century Club.

He passed in 2016, and I had the watch serviced last year. the RSC did a great job and it looked brand new when I got it from them. I wear it occasionally now, but I now wear my GMT
or my SubC now.
Buckaroo Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 02:58 AM   #26
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevers63 View Post

He received this after achieving 25 years with IBM. That was back in 1982. He has always had Rolex watches prior to that and he gave his previous DJ to my brother. He gave me this watch in 2015. His eyesight was failing and so he gave it to me to use and keep safe.
Great story! Glad you’re taking such good care of your father’s accomplishments!
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 03:00 AM   #27
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Not so much a story but I had an opportunity to trade my PO and Speedy for a subC and I did. The rest is history.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 03:04 AM   #28
Buckaroo Banzai
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpee View Post
Great story! Glad you’re taking such good care of your father’s accomplishments!
Thanks. My mom also had a TT datejust with a black dial. When they lived in Tokyo, she visited my grandmother in Hong Kong and bought the watch new their. She got caught in Customs going back into Japan and had to pay duty and write a "I'm sorry letter" for trying to sneak something into Japan without paying duty on it. I have that watch as well, and it fits my wife's wrist perfectly.
Old 14 August 2020, 03:10 AM   #29
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevers63 View Post

Its stamped on the back with his name (which I blotted out) and his date of service along with the Crest of the IBM Quarter Century Club.

He passed in 2016, and I had the watch serviced last year. the RSC did a great job and it looked brand new when I got it from them. I wear it occasionally now, but I now wear my GMT
or my SubC now.
This is a great story, your father would be proud of your collection.

I got my Pepsi as a 30th birthday present and as an engagement gift. That was my first.
Old 14 August 2020, 03:12 AM   #30
Buckaroo Banzai
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
This is a great story, your father would be proud of your collection.

I got my Pepsi as a 30th birthday present and as an engagement gift. That was my first.
Those are great milestones for your Pepsi. I hope you wear it in good health and hope you grow your collection!