The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 August 2020, 01:46 AM   #31
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
Fortunately I don't live in the suburbs of Detroit, Oakland, Ciudad Juárez or Tijuana. Have you ever thought that I could live in a city where crime is almost insignificant?
So in other words there are places where expensive watch thefts NEVER happen? Please.....
Old 14 August 2020, 01:46 AM   #32
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Spend your money how you will and rasie your kid with whatever installed values you deem important. That said I'd go a slightly different route and consider Tudor or an older Omega. Just to wet the appatetie for a nice time piece and to see how its appreciated. My .02
Old 14 August 2020, 01:49 AM   #33
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I bought one for my son but he was 23 and graduating from college. A DJ, blue stick dial, oyster bracelet, smooth bezel. He is 38 now, doesn't wear it much these days but one day he will take it out and realize just how great a watch it is...
Old 14 August 2020, 01:51 AM   #34
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
So in other words there are places where expensive watch thefts NEVER happen? Please.....
No. There are places where few robberies occur and there are places where many robberies occur. I live in the first one, and I'm not afraid of it.
Old 14 August 2020, 01:51 AM   #35
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I also suggest a Seiko auto diver. I have given several as graduation gifts over the years, sparking an interest in mechanical watches.
Old 14 August 2020, 01:56 AM   #36
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
We don't know the first thing about this "boy", you know him best, so why can't you decide what Rolex would be best for him ? ( You don't call him "son", so assuming this a reward for your pool boy; cousin; groomer of your horse ? )
And it is a terrible idea.
Old 14 August 2020, 01:58 AM   #37
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
let him buy one himself one day
Old 14 August 2020, 01:59 AM   #38
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Lol nice dad looking for a Rolex for his son and the boogie man police comes out to scare about theft. If your son is mature enough to own and take care of a Rolex, go for it!
Old 14 August 2020, 01:59 AM   #39
franklee168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN W+B DIAL
Apple watch would be perfect.
Old 14 August 2020, 02:00 AM   #40
aayates
"TRF" Member

OP 39 for my son when he graduated high school and was accepted to college. He doesn't wear watches though, so I guess it's a memory piece for him.
Old 14 August 2020, 02:04 AM   #41
Denvertimeguy
Banned

Quote:
Fortunately I don't live in the suburbs of Detroit, Oakland, Ciudad Juárez or Tijuana. Have you ever thought that I could live in a city where crime is almost insignificant?

Quite a shame that you have to deal with such ignorance even on this forum! If people don’t think a 15 year old can appreciate a Rolex then I feel sorry for you... not to mention we know about your son!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 August 2020, 02:05 AM   #42
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

Hey him something bigger than 36mm so he can grow into it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 14 August 2020, 02:08 AM   #43
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I wouldn’t be giving a 15 year old a Rolex. I’d be waiting until he works and understands the value of money.

I have a Tag F1 I bought when my son was born. That will get serviced and my son will get that when he’s 18/21...... a Rolex when he’s 15? Hell no!
Old 14 August 2020, 02:09 AM   #44
georgekart
"TRF" Member

I love how everyone in here claims to know what to do better than OP. I didn't have a Rolex at that age, but I did have a 3+K watch ever since I was 16. I have a friend who had an Omega since he was 14. Some people are responsible enough at 15 to wear it and have minimal risks around them. Some people aren't responsible enough and live in areas where risks would be too much. At the end of the day OP knows his son, area they live in, school his son goes to and his sons friends better than any one of us does. If he thinks his son is responsible enough, that's on him to decide, not on us.

As an answer to your question, I'd say none of those. At that age you certainly prefer something more blatantly sporty. Perhaps a Sub, maybe an Explorer II. If it has to be out of those you listed, I vote Explorer.
Old 14 August 2020, 02:10 AM   #45
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraKaLaCKiN View Post
ALMOST only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes my friend. I don't think this utopian society that is crime free exists!
Utopia? I see you know every corner of the world.
Anyway, this isn't a crime forum, it's a watch forum. Nor is it a forum for morality. So I'd like us to stick to the WATCHES
Old 14 August 2020, 02:11 AM   #46
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
I love how everyone in here claims to know what to do better than OP. I didn't have a Rolex at that age, but I did have a 3+K watch ever since I was 16. I have a friend who had an Omega since he was 14. Some people are responsible enough at 15 to wear it and have minimal risks around them. Some people aren't responsible enough and live in areas where risks would be too much. At the end of the day OP knows his son, area they live in, school his son goes to and his sons friends better than any one of us does. If he thinks his son is responsible enough, that's on him to decide, not on us.

As an answer to your question, I'd say none of those. At that age you certainly prefer something more blatantly sporty. Perhaps a Sub, maybe an Explorer II. If it has to be out of those you listed, I vote Explorer.

Thank you for understanding me. It will be because we are Europeans
Old 14 August 2020, 02:15 AM   #47
Matt_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
Don’t buy the stuff about the watch being stolen or the lad beaten up... bordering on ridiculous paranoia. Although I think we Western Europeans are more secure and confident with law and order than friends abroad.

That said I think you would be better buying something and sticking it in the safe for a few years as a graduation/employment etc. Gift in their 20’s. You may not want a lecture on morality And I don’t intend to give you that, however the selection of watch vs age is intrinsically linked. I don’t think any model will suit a 15 year old boy. IMO put your name down for any of the reasonably attainable sports watches and wait, by the time he’s 21 I’m sure you’ll have it.
Old 14 August 2020, 02:18 AM   #48
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixanthonies View Post
My neighbor gave their 16 year old son a Lambo for birthday so go for it. Datejust 36 is a good choice!
A rich kid at my high school got a Porsche for his 16th. He wrapped it around a tree a few months later. Escaped with his life. But his parents replaced it immediately, and sadly the trajectory and precedent for his life was set.

Last year at the age of 42 his luck finally ran out, he was traveling at 260km/h with a 20 year old passenger in his Jaguar (also given to him by his parents) when he collided with an 87 year old lady on her way home. There were no survivors

Entitled rich kids on the roads in sports cars never ends well
Old 14 August 2020, 02:28 AM   #49
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Maximum watch-level for 15 year is an entry model TAG or Breitling, no way the crown.
Better a Oris/Longines/Rado/ Seiko etc....
FWIW ->
I gave my youngest son at the age of 20 my EXII after graduating. My eldest wore since that age a Breitling SuperOcean which I gave hime and got back when I handed him my Airking 116900.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Old 14 August 2020, 02:29 AM   #50
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
36mm OP.
Old 14 August 2020, 02:29 AM   #51
eightball76
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520, LV, SD4K
judgement aside, I would go with an older Rolex Airking 14010M (1990s). I assume that due to his age he will have smaller wrist, plus can I suggest that you put it on a vintage leather strap just to avoid any unwanted attention. this way he can enjoy both a Rolex and a "vintage" watch at the same time
Old 14 August 2020, 02:30 AM   #52
Dave455
"TRF" Member

I can’t help feeling that buying a 15 year old a Rolex is much like buying him a fine single malt!

Even if you can afford it, and it seems like a good idea, he probably won’t like it for the right reasons, it will probably cause more grief than benefit, and probably won’t be to his tastes anyway!

What watch does he have now? I’m thinking get him something nice, something a notch up on what he has, but not a Rolex yet. If he’s into “sports” watches, then something like a Seiko Tuna, maybe even a limited edition that will appreciate in value a little if he looks after it. If he’s into something more classic, than a nice mid range Swiss mechanical. There’s no shortage to choose from.

Either way, let him wear it with care, see if it gets looked after, and if so save the Rolex for a momentous event, and a couple more years. Makes a great 18th or 21st birthday present!
Old 14 August 2020, 02:30 AM   #53
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Aside from all the moral issues, I think the practical questions reflect previous posts. Does he appreciate Rolex as the rest of us do? Do we know this is the piece he wants? How do we know he will value it and not keep it in the safe? If you are determined to give a Rolex, I would line up the choices and let him pick.

Just my $0.02
Old 14 August 2020, 02:31 AM   #54
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
None.
Old 14 August 2020, 02:34 AM   #55
Enyaw1
Banned

Timex, at least it’s got an ‘x’ in the name

Last edited by Enyaw1; 14 August 2020 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: Addition
Old 14 August 2020, 02:35 AM   #56
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyL147 View Post
A Citizen would be my pick. IMO no 15 year old needs a Rolex for a multitude of reasons. YMMV.
Absolutely! At 15 I was wearing the cheapest throw-away Timex-style watches, and by the end of the school term they were usually smashed! I didn't get an expensive watch until my 18th birthday...an Omega Seamaster.
Old 14 August 2020, 02:36 AM   #57
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

What are all the other kids wearing? Keeping up with the Jones'
Old 14 August 2020, 02:37 AM   #58
function12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
No social media back then. Even 5 year olds know what a Rolex is in 2020. The OP is just asking for trouble for his son, this nonsense won't end well. Unless he just plans to wear it around the house and not in public. An adult unemployed or desperate for money would knock a 15 year old over like a bowling pin and easily take the watch.

What about the $1000 iphone they all have?? Yes, you hear those get stolen everyday. So, it would be no different. I would wager most high school kids would notice a new phone over ANY watch.

Would I buy a 15 year old a new Rolex watch? No. I would buy a used one and they insure it. Just don't let them know it is insured. I think it teaches responsibility and to start taking care of nice things.
Old 14 August 2020, 02:37 AM   #59
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for understanding me. It will be because we are Europeans
It has nothing to do with it being Europe vs Americas vs Asia. There are places where I'd be worried in any country, including European ones, to wear an expensive watch and places where I wouldn't be for instance in the USA.

Europe is generally safer than Americas. Yet if you ask me where I would feel more safe wearing an expensive watch, Paris or Princeton,NJ it isn't going to be Paris.
Old 14 August 2020, 02:40 AM   #60
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
It has nothing to do with it being Europe vs Americas vs Asia. There are places where I'd be worried in any country, including European ones, to wear an expensive watch and places where I wouldn't be for instance in the USA.

Europe is generally safer than Americas. Yet if you ask me where I would feel more safe wearing an expensive watch, Paris or Princeton,NJ it isn't going to be Paris.
America is huge! Which state, city, suburb, rural location? Can’t classify US as safe or not. Just like anywhere else there are more and less safe places. I live in an upscale suburb area, no crime to speak of. Bad things can happen anywhere.

I hope you buy your son a yellow gold sub!
Closed Thread