The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 1 October 2020, 02:41 AM   #1
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Chrono update?

Asking this out of curiosity- I tried on a panda chrono yesterday when I bought my 15500 and thought it was stunning. I asked why this didn’t have the glass back and my understanding is that this model is 8 years old, whereas the 15500 is newer with the glass back, new movement and 70 hour power reserve. I’m guessing it’s a whole new design to change everything so not a quick fix.

Is an update on the cards? Someone mentioned it’s the 50 year anniversary coming up, so would they do it then possibly?
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 03:29 AM   #2
eonflux
"TRF" Member

It's actually a bit surprising that AP has not been using completely inhouse chrono movements for so long in some of their most popular models (Frederic Piguet integrated chronograph in the ROC, Dubois-Depraz chronograph module on top of a 3120 in the ROO).

Would be reasonable to use the new integrated chronograph movt in the Code watches in other models.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 03:29 AM   #3
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I’m saying this as a speculation but I think the next update for the ROC would allow it to get the chronograph movement from the CODE 1159. It’s hard to imagine that AP would invest all the money into the movement and only used it in the CODE line that is currently not as positively received as they wanted.

A new movement with glass back would allow it to distinguish itself from other chronographs such as the Daytona which is almost similarly priced in the secondary market.
The movement and the non-glass back are the two things that I see as the cons for the current ROC. Regarding timing no one is too sure when though.. every year that’s whispers of an update but never materialised.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 03:39 AM   #4
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
26331 with current movement is a great imho. The case back with Royal Oak engraving also adds character to the watch. With the new movement watch will be thicker and more expensive.
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 04:33 AM   #5
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

If you get the gold version you get extra good too to boot. Haha.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 06:28 AM   #6
Maverick82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskiserkan View Post
26331 with current movement is a great imho. The case back with Royal Oak engraving also adds character to the watch. With the new movement watch will be thicker and more expensive.

I also fell in love with the Panda, its incredibly detailed and works elegantly with everything. I took the plunge as a new movement/ case back, would ultimately raise the price anyway. If a new perfect roc comes out in the same panda dial, clear case back and a thin movement then worst case the existing model can be sold for pretty much the same price paid retail and just upgrade to the new one.
I was very hesitant initially and am very glad I took the plunge. It’s an incredible watch and does make my Rolex look like a toy side by side.
Also you never know, it could end up being the Daytona zenith of AP.
Maverick82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 07:42 AM   #7
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Here we go again. This has been discussed ad nauseum.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 11:43 PM   #8
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Here we go again. This has been discussed ad nauseum.
I wasn’t aware of this - was your comment necessary? You could have simply ignored my post.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 12:56 AM   #9
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
I wasn’t aware of this - was your comment necessary? You could have simply ignored my post.
I think it was so that we don't have people posting the same threads over and over again. There is a search function for a reason. All the answers were answered on a thread not more than a few weeks ago.

Here you go:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=26331
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote