The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 February 2013, 03:33 AM   #1
DK3
"TRF" Member

Did this happen to you?

I was starring at my watch collection one day that included patek, AP, breguet and rolex and realized that patek is by far the most amazing watch and brand. I then decided to sell and trade all of my collection for pateks. That was two years ago for me.

I know realize that it is the only brand I am interested in. The more I learn about the brand and history the more impressed I am. I realize now that I am no longer a watch enthusiast but a patek enthusiast. Every now and then I am tempted by another brand, but I realize I am just wasting my time because as soon as I buy anything else I will end up trading it for a patek. I don't even buy watch magazines anymore or visit non-patek watch stores.

I now understand this statement for myself "There are only two types of watches, patek and everything else"

Has this happened to anyone else?
DK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 03:51 AM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Nah, it's good that you're solely attracted to blondes but I find redheads, brunettes, blonds, etc all attractive. Heck, let's just say I'm attracted to any lovely cavewoman. Period. Likewise I can't look away from any well executed watch regardless of brand.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 04:09 AM   #3
Oryx
"TRF" Member

In my opinion you can't discount A Lange - they too are in a league of their own. As owner of a number of PP's and an admirer of a number of Lange's they are both top tier watch makers. The precision build quality of a Lange is second to none as is the distinctive design.

As for Patek - also in a league of its own.

I actually rate Rolex and Breguet as much - Rolex for the build quality of all of its watches, especially the sports models that in my mind are miles better than other brands (Omega, Tag, IWC, Panerai) and Breguet for the distinctive design and provenance of its watches - although this can be debated.

Dont restrict yourself to Patek - go check out Lange, Richard Mille and you will find a number of brands that will enlighten you!!
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 04:22 AM   #4
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
For me Patek is Patek and the undisputed king. I do like having variety and my collection centers around Patek and vintage Rolex. I also love Lange and enjoy owning a few of them as well--epsecially the platinum Double Split which is a true beast! Also gotta love AP for the RB2 Ti--one of coolest sports watches ever made. So only Patek? No not for me. Can I see why for some? Sure. In the end taste is subjective and there are plenty of watches and styles to go around so we all are taken care of and set!! Now all needed is money to pay for them all!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 04:25 AM   #5
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Slightly going of tangent - I don't get the hype around AP's. The ROO seriously lacks any class and is like a big block of plastic and metal. It seems has if the company is focused on gimmick watches - Arnie, Schumacher, Messi. This is marketing gone mad.

AP just seems like an older version of Hublot - all hype and marketing and no focus on watch making.

Just needed to let that out - and didn't want to risk a direct post on the AP forum!!!!
Old 7 February 2013, 04:39 AM   #6
psv
"TRF" Member

That is a too limited worldview for me. Sure, PP excels at what they do, but their offerings certainly don't fit all my watch needs (like having a good daily sports or diving watch) nor my tastes, like SteelerFan65 said above, I really like some vintage stuff from other brands as well as appreciate some references from Lange, Richard Mille, AP etc.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 04:40 AM   #7
Puffy
"TRF" Member

my pateks and vintage rolexes are the jewels in my collection

rest is nice to have as they're beautiful but patek wins hands down
Old 7 February 2013, 04:44 AM   #8
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
Slightly going of tangent - I don't get the hype around AP's. The ROO seriously lacks any class and is like a big block of plastic and metal. It seems has if the company is focused on gimmick watches - Arnie, Schumacher, Messi. This is marketing gone mad.

AP just seems like an older version of Hublot - all hype and marketing and no focus on watch making.

Just needed to let that out - and didn't want to risk a direct post on the AP forum!!!!
agree with you the Offshore range is a bit poxy..

AP makes great and beautiful movements though... Piguet, Classic and Audemars ranges are nothing short of sensational. don't care too much for the RO as it lacks in the design department...
Old 7 February 2013, 04:46 AM   #9
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:

Audemars Piguet is more than just its RO/ROO lines. They're also one of the most innovative manufactures in the industry today - I can't think of anyone else working with Forged Carbon (not to be confused with carbon fiber) or extensive finishing of ceramic materials. Finally they're no different than many other companies that produce (too many IMO) LE/SE watches. Fortunately, if you don't like AP then there are plenty of other exciting brands to explore.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 04:46 AM   #10
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK3 View Post
I was starring at my watch collection one day that included patek, AP, breguet and rolex and realized that patek is by far the most amazing watch and brand. I then decided to sell and trade all of my collection for pateks. That was two years ago for me.

I know realize that it is the only brand I am interested in. The more I learn about the brand and history the more impressed I am. I realize now that I am no longer a watch enthusiast but a patek enthusiast. Every now and then I am tempted by another brand, but I realize I am just wasting my time because as soon as I buy anything else I will end up trading it for a patek. I don't even buy watch magazines anymore or visit non-patek watch stores.

I now understand this statement for myself "There are only two types of watches, patek and everything else"

Has this happened to anyone else?
Michael Safdie is that you?

Nope has not happened to me, I still enjoy variety in my horology endevours

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 05:45 AM   #11
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Nope...I like variety too much. And would I wear one of my Patek's 24/7 in any environment? No...while I don't baby my watches I also won't wear a Patek in "high risk for damage" situations. That's where Rolex comes in often for me - the Sea Dweller is my "go to" for pretty much anything.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 06:13 AM   #12
vc_watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP PC, Nautilus!
Ken said it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
For me Patek is Patek and the undisputed king. I do like having variety and my collection centers around Patek and vintage Rolex. I also love Lange and enjoy owning a few of them as well--epsecially the platinum Double Split which is a true beast! Also gotta love AP for the RB2 Ti--one of coolest sports watches ever made. So only Patek? No not for me. Can I see why for some? Sure. In the end taste is subjective and there are plenty of watches and styles to go around so we all are taken care of and set!! Now all needed is money to pay for them all!
\

Thumbs up!
vc_watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 06:15 AM   #13
Mauiguy
"TRF" Member

I like and appreciate many watch brands, but for me it's all about Patek and old Rolex.
Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 08:13 AM   #14
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
I didn't expect to be the first to chime in with agreement, but yes. At the moment anyway! And this has gone on for a whole week today!
I just sold my Rolexes for a Nautilus. I'll wear it with my tux, I'll wear it with my cargo shorts. My lifestyle doesn't include many situations that could damage the watch, so I'm good there.
I try to be interested in Rolex, IWC, AP non-Royal Oak, but I just can't put horns on anything but Patek right now.
So, there's two of us...
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 09:12 AM   #15
DK3
"TRF" Member

Just the two of us for now. I think the rest will end up with us at some point :)
Old 7 February 2013, 09:12 AM   #16
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
I personally own a variety of high end brands. Yet, each morning when I gaze upon them contemplating which to strap to my wrist, I always chose Patek. I still can't bring myself to part with those other watches mind you, but I guess my actions speak volumes. Patek is essentially all I wear anymore.
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 09:17 AM   #17
RedGlasses
"TRF" Member

same here, i started with rolexes, now except for the sports models, i don't even look at them anymore and focus only on PP'sssssss!!!! that is the only one brand... loving everything about it!!!!!!!!!
RedGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 09:58 AM   #18
Stuxnet
Banned

I'm sure there is a word/term for me. Not OBCD though. When I like something, I stick with it. I've had the same Savile Row tailor for I don't know how many years. I stuck with him when he left his previous employer and put his own name on the label inside the coat pocket. I've worn shoes from the same Northampton shoe maker since school. Ditto with my shirts from Jermyn St. Same stationary company for years. And for a long time it was Rolex and Rolex only. Now it's all PP unless I really need a tool watch for rough wear. I'm lucky I don't care for high ticket items like wine or cars or designer labels and the things I care enough about get lived in, worn and enjoyed for 20+ years. I guess I'm a loyal customer once I like a product. Or maybe I'm too lazy or even risk averse to try something new.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 10:46 AM   #19
S``
"TRF" Member

I still like PAMs and AP RO lineage
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 01:52 PM   #20
snoopy4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
I'm sure there is a word/term for me. Not OBCD though. When I like something, I stick with it. I've had the same Savile Row tailor for I don't know how many years. I stuck with him when he left his previous employer and put his own name on the label inside the coat pocket. I've worn shoes from the same Northampton shoe maker since school. Ditto with my shirts from Jermyn St. Same stationary company for years. And for a long time it was Rolex and Rolex only. Now it's all PP unless I really need a tool watch for rough wear. I'm lucky I don't care for high ticket items like wine or cars or designer labels and the things I care enough about get lived in, worn and enjoyed for 20+ years. I guess I'm a loyal customer once I like a product. Or maybe I'm too lazy or even risk averse to try something new.
Brand newbie, me. But I agree with your philosophy on quality goods. When you find something that works, stick with it. Whether it's Edward Green, Patek, Greene and Greene furniture, or an SVI 1911 sidearm, there's something to be said for the combination of form and function that approaches high art.
snoopy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 02:09 PM   #21
paverman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I think most collectors go through a "refining" stage of some sort, with some being more extreme than others. When I first started collecting, I wanted to look at and own a wide variety of brands. I still have pieces from a number of brands, but have certainly settled in on two favorites, that being Lange and Patek. These two brands represent the pinnacle of fine watchmaking and now occupy the majority of my interest.
paverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 02:18 PM   #22
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
i hope that doesn't sneak up on me
Old 7 February 2013, 04:23 PM   #23
DK3
"TRF" Member

I know many patek fans or also fans of Lange. The watches are beautiful and amazing, however although they were founded in 1845 they did not really become who they are until 1994 when they started producing watches at Glashutte. I am also not a big fan of the Richment group. I don't perceive the Richment group passionate for watches, but rather passionate for profit. I am sure there are many talented and passionate watchmakers at lange but they will come and go. Non-watchmakers and enthusiasts will always dictate the future of the brand. There is no history that supports their reputation, that can also be said for Richard Mille and other brands also.

Patek is special because of their continuous history of producing with the highest standards and consistency. I think auction houses with watches from the 1930's until now are a testament to the value of the watch and brand. For me my enthusiasm for patek is not just the watches but their proven track record. You just don't see Richard Mille's, APs, VC, or Lange's selling at auction houses anywhere close to patek.

Reputation is the most important part of any person or brand because it cannot be purchased nor can it be created from marketing tactics. There is no greater reputation than patek. There are many great pieces produced by many others but pateks reputation and commitment are what make the brand so very special. At the end of the day there are many amazing watches produced, but a patek is very special at least for me. A watch to me is not just a shiny object that is well-made but it has its own soul and produced from a DNA that influences it. Anyways just some thoughts from a watch enthusiast that has finally found where to focus his money and time.
Old 7 February 2013, 04:54 PM   #24
2infiniti
"TRF" Member

I am one of you. Sold all my Rolex and Pam's. Have no eye for other than PP now.
2infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 05:18 PM   #25
Oryx
"TRF" Member

I think a distinction needs to be made between heritage / reputation / residuals and the quality of the current watches being produced.

I too am also a sceptic of watch brands being owned by holding companies such as Richemont - more so when they use ETA mechanisms which to me defeats the object of being a high end watch maker (to me it is a bit like Ferrari using VW engines). I am not a fan of Panerai, IWC, Hublot, Tag etc

But I am a BIG Patek fan and owner of a number of models.

However, one cannot deny the passion and beauty behind Lange watches - even if they only have a relatively short recent history.

Have you ever visited a Lange boutique or tried on any of their watches - the precision finishing and overall quality of their watches is second to none (this is coming from a Patek fan). Richard Mille are also fantastic at what they do - although I agree that they cannot be compared to Lange and Patek.

Despite Patek being a private entity - they are also very clearly focused on generating profits as illustrated by the aggresive level of price rises seen in recent years.

The appetite for vintage Patek's at auction is related to the perception of the brand as well as the fact that there are a number of rare models out there - but that is not reflective of the strength of their current production versus peers.

To conclude - I totally agree that when considering all factors (heritage, residuals, innovation, quality etc) then Patek is head and shoulders above the rest. However I do not think that Lange can be discounted - especially given the quality of the current product range.
Old 7 February 2013, 06:55 PM   #26
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
Patek is a must have for my collection. But I only like 1 model only. I love varieties on my collection. But yes Patek is nice but it's just not for me.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 08:47 PM   #27
unknown
"TRF" Member

Some people have only rolex, others only panerai, others only patek or. ..

I' m sure these people miss a lot.

There is no brand in the world that does everything right.

How can you have a complete collection when you have only patek.

I would miss a rolex sub. A panerai luminor. A JLC reverso. A Zenith el primero.....
Old 7 February 2013, 09:00 PM   #28
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
I think a distinction needs to be made between heritage / reputation / residuals and the quality of the current watches being produced.

I too am also a sceptic of watch brands being owned by holding companies such as Richemont - more so when they use ETA mechanisms which to me defeats the object of being a high end watch maker (to me it is a bit like Ferrari using VW engines). I am not a fan of Panerai, IWC, Hublot, Tag etc

But I am a BIG Patek fan and owner of a number of models.

However, one cannot deny the passion and beauty behind Lange watches - even if they only have a relatively short recent history.

Have you ever visited a Lange boutique or tried on any of their watches - the precision finishing and overall quality of their watches is second to none (this is coming from a Patek fan). Richard Mille are also fantastic at what they do - although I agree that they cannot be compared to Lange and Patek.

Despite Patek being a private entity - they are also very clearly focused on generating profits as illustrated by the aggresive level of price rises seen in recent years.

The appetite for vintage Patek's at auction is related to the perception of the brand as well as the fact that there are a number of rare models out there - but that is not reflective of the strength of their current production versus peers.

To conclude - I totally agree that when considering all factors (heritage, residuals, innovation, quality etc) then Patek is head and shoulders above the rest. However I do not think that Lange can be discounted - especially given the quality of the current product range.
Quite true and well said. Just look at price and demand for some of their newer models like the 5170J, 5270G and 5960P--prices have fallen substantially and many dealers can't give them away! There is no question that Patek is king as I said above. There is also no question for appetite and strength of retired more sought after watches. At the end of the day though no single brand has a corner on all segments of the market!! There are different watches and styles out there for everyone.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 10:11 PM   #29
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
I guess it's a matter of tastes and preferences. I am a big fan of Patek Philippe watches (especially their older models) but I've always preferred some diversity in my collection than having just one brand/type of movement. If I have the money someday I'll most probably buy a Patek Philippe for a lot of personal reasons and given everything I read about the brand but at the end of the day I know it will be a watch in my collection of many, a beautiful, reliable watch equipped with a good and well finished movement perhaps but still a watch that will be surrounded by others in my little case.

Quote:
You are definitely entitled to your opinion and I fully respect that but I am not sure I'll agree. A lot of brands are owned by big companies and their quality control or their watches have never suffered from it (think about Breguet, Omega or Vacheron Constantin, for instance), if you don't consider those brands high end watches then it's a valid opinion but I don't think it has something to do with who owns them. As for ETA and other companies making movements for brands, I know an in-house movement is not the first thing I have in mind when looking for a watch, if I want a tough and reliable watch I'll look much more for a brand that makes its watches pass through a good quality control test than a brand that makes a whole movement in its building. In the end, quite a few of then a rather similar anyway so I doubt the quality of wheels, pinions and bridges is that different if they're made by Patek or by ETA (at least for most models, let's not talk about the advanced research models here...).

Again, it remains my opinion and I am definitely not trying to make you change your mind. The different perspectives and opinions all the members have are what makes this forum so great.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 11:32 PM   #30
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

I follow PP, AP (as of recently) and rolex.