The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 3 September 2022, 02:10 AM   #1051
HAL330
Banned

Watch: xyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by pursang_ View Post
Moda check:

Clean naked D serial white dial 116520 sitting unsold for a few days at 22.6k

12/21 slider 126610LN w/ only tags sold for 12.9k

Full set 10/21 slider 126610LN sitting over the weekend at 13.5k

Like new w/ some stickers (yet naked) Patek 5167 sitting at 51k

Like new 06/22 Oyster BLRO sitting unsold for 36 hours at 20k
for the 100th time... MODA isn't a safe place to buy a watch in my view, and therefore not the "market" price.. ... mostly suspect watches with suspect history... usually blatantly missing warranty cards, and / or obviously refinished used watches being represented as new...
Old 3 September 2022, 02:20 AM   #1052
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL330 View Post
for the 100th time... MODA isn't a safe place to buy a watch in my view, and therefore not the "market" price.. ... mostly suspect watches with suspect history... usually blatantly missing warranty cards, and / or obviously refinished used watches being represented as new...
You’re back huh? Lol don’t get upset and leave the thread when you get called out.

Regarding market price - you, I, and multiple others had this discourse a few pages back evincing that MODA is the bellwether for market price. You couldn’t handle the conversation and left as a result. So don’t come back and say MODA isn’t the market and provide other unsubstantiated claims.

MODA is a free market - easy to get burned there, sure, but plenty of reputable dealers with brick & mortar storefronts that sell full sets. Note that this is similar to countless other dealer chats whereby your supposedly trusted greys source product.

That said, MODA is as safe or as risky as the seller. Hence the saying “buy the seller, not the watch”.
Old 3 September 2022, 02:44 AM   #1053
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
You’re back huh? Lol don’t get upset and leave the thread when you get called out.
When I see angry reactions I always think about that (Sorry for reposting): https://youtu.be/NBVDqAHQ4-M?t=136

Quote:
What must be understood is that these private groups are a very accurate indication of a **trend** and a good indicator of price ranges.

It is the current **buy price** from greys. BTW, it is a great indication of the margin a flipper can make => we can then make lots of predictions (AD list length, demand, wait time, etc)
It is the future **sell price** because the trend is set whether we like it or not.

You can also see greys speaking about these groups in some of their yt videos. They use them as a daily tool.

I would not advice my mom to shop there, but what is the issue for a trained eye?
Old 3 September 2022, 02:52 AM   #1054
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Dude, chill. If you have to keep telling people something a hundred times, maybe they just see it differently than you. That's ok. A broken record doesn't convince anybody of anything.

Remember - your fear doesn't necessarily translate to other people's experiences.

-Edward O. Wilson
Old 3 September 2022, 02:58 AM   #1055
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
NOS 5711 from 2019 full set. $115k.
Old 3 September 2022, 03:03 AM   #1056
HAL330
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
NOS 5711 from 2019 full set. $115k.
smoking deal man, jump on it!! That's only 3X MSRP...

I paid $49K for my 5711/1R from an AD... when prices get down there... you all can start celebrating the end of high watch prices.
Old 3 September 2022, 03:04 AM   #1057
JRedford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m pretty sure at this point no one cares about your opinion, which is completely unsubstantiated and wrong.

If you take the time to read the descriptions they are spot on and sell accordingly.
Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today And then one day you find ten years have got behind you No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
Old 3 September 2022, 03:04 AM   #1058
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I paid $49K for my 5711/1R from an AD... when prices get down there... you all can start celebrating the end of high watch prices.

I wouldn't pay $50k for it. Rather have Screwly's 4500V rose gold for that money.
Old 3 September 2022, 03:25 AM   #1059
HAL330
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRedford View Post
I’m pretty sure at this point no one cares about your opinion, which is completely unsubstantiated and wrong.

If you take the time to read the descriptions they are spot on and sell accordingly.
mister joined in May 22 (likely a dirtbag from moda, Johnny come lately to watch dealership) has an opinion that "somebody" cares about?

Go take a piss as the brits love to say.
Old 3 September 2022, 03:34 AM   #1060
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
Quote:
I wouldn't pay $50k for it. Rather have Screwly's 4500V rose gold for that money.

1000%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Old 3 September 2022, 03:35 AM   #1061
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
mister joined in May 22 (likely a dirtbag from moda, Johnny come lately to watch dealership) has an opinion that "somebody" cares about?

Go take a piss as the brits love to say.

Not sure why you need to be so aggressive / insulting at this point? Guy just offered his opinion...

For all I care about - I appreciate fellow members posting Moda numbers as to me they are another data point (and a valuable one at that). If I want to see Chrono prices I log into Chrono and if I want to see prices from reputable sellers on this forum, I can see them posting their offers. I cannot see Moda so someone else providing this to me is great and I am grateful for it.

Doesnt mean every dealer on there is trustworthy and doesn't mean anyone who isn't comfortable with Moda is advocating to use it. Buy at your own risk.

Suggest you chill out a bit and have a cold beer on a Friday
Old 3 September 2022, 03:39 AM   #1062
HAL330
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
Not sure why you need to be so aggressive / insulting at this point? Guy just offered his opinion...

For all I care about - I appreciate fellow members posting Moda numbers as to me they are another data point (and a valuable one at that). If I want to see Chrono prices I log into Chrono and if I want to see prices from reputable sellers on this forum, I can see them posting their offers. I cannot see Moda so someone else providing this to me is great and I am grateful for it.

Doesnt mean every dealer on there is trustworthy and doesn't mean anyone who isn't comfortable with Moda is advocating to use it. Buy at your own risk.

Suggest you chill out a bit and have a cold beer on a Friday
Right .. well, just get on Facebook and search "Moda watch" .. should be able to find it, join and see for yourself...

but indeed you're right... buy at your own RISK.... I personally don't like the word risk and multi-thousand dollar watch purchases in the same sentence.
Old 3 September 2022, 03:53 AM   #1063
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Right .. well, just get on Facebook and search "Moda watch" .. should be able to find it, join and see for yourself...

but indeed you're right... buy at your own RISK.... I personally don't like the word risk and multi-thousand dollar watch purchases in the same sentence.

That’s because you’re a typical retail buyer, not a wholesale dealer. Your insistence on having a white glove consumer experience in a wholesale dealer forum is likely what got you the boot.

Ever been to a large watch industry show? It’s not just a larger version of a jewelry store. If you’re an uneducated buyer, especially in vintage, you will get burned.

The MODA group can go away tomorrow and I won’t care, but the wholesale market being the leading indicator for the retail market is absolutely true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 3 September 2022, 05:41 AM   #1064
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:

No offense, but you are not understanding the situation and why people are posting current watch values in this thread.

PLEASE, understand that real watch collectors are waiting prices to normalize (=crash) so flippers are thrown out of the game. Why? So every true enthusiast can acquire the watch they want and not the crap ADs are forcing them to buy. (Like when you bought your PP.)

I spoke with someone working at Rolex HQ in Geneva about market situation. Do you know how they internally call the market we are expecting (lists with "normal" wait times)? Healthy... And contrary to what many think, they also would like this normalization. ADs would also please customers and sell them watches for birthdays, celebrations, birth, wedding, etc. As long as the market is flooded with flippers and prices are crazy, it will be under unhealthy tension.

Hope you understand. If not, life is short, do not waste your time in this silly thread, TRF has so many other great threads. Take care.
Old 3 September 2022, 08:03 AM   #1065
pursang_
"TRF" Member

Lmao. I'm glad I scrolled up and realized the "for the 100th time" post being quoted was mine from the middle of July.

Have a great weekend, folks.
Old 3 September 2022, 10:48 AM   #1066
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
I personally bought several pieces from Moda without any issues. As most have stated, buy the seller, and do your research. I.E. - Call the seller, do a Linked-In search, ask for references, etc..

BTW, you may see a trusted seller or two also list pieces on Moda on occasion for context.
Old 3 September 2022, 12:36 PM   #1067
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

HAL330
Old 3 September 2022, 12:50 PM   #1068
AbeFroman
Banned

Looks like he will actually be leaving the thread this go around.
Old 3 September 2022, 01:16 PM   #1069
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:

Moda is amazing! Great safe reliable. Just like Craigslist if you know what’s up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 September 2022, 07:55 PM   #1070
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
Quote:
It’s funny to see watches sitting on MODA at recent lows, yet people on Chrono are raising their prices for the same refs… and they’re obviously sitting as well.

It’s a game of chicken at this point, and the economic headwinds will easily top the scales towards the buyer, in due time.
It's hilarious. I've got a saved search alert on C24 for 116500 which has retrieves 500 entries. Every day dealers add new listings at prices that just fall somewhere in the middle/upper half of the range ... what's the point??
Old 3 September 2022, 09:17 PM   #1071
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
HAL330
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFroman View Post
Looks like he will actually be leaving the thread this go around.
Tremendous Great start to the long weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquarter View Post
It's hilarious. I've got a saved search alert on C24 for 116500 which has retrieves 500 entries. Every day dealers add new listings at prices that just fall somewhere in the middle/upper half of the range ... what's the point??
They are holding the stock and have the carry costs of inventory so why not list these pieces and see if a sucker will go for it. Won’t last though.
Old 3 September 2022, 09:24 PM   #1072
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Convincing lame impulse buyers that buying a watch is the best investment these days. This is how they sell the feeling that if someone can buy a watch for 2xMSRP, it's the deal of the year, as these will be worth more every day.

Ultimately, C24 wants to set prices regardless of people's purchasing power and needs. For example this is how their graphs and "how much is your collection worth" folktales are made...
Old 4 September 2022, 12:39 AM   #1073
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
You can kick and scream all you want but MODA is legit and the prices on there are the current market. In case you didn’t know all the trusted sellers buy watches on there and try to resell them on here. It’s a fact.
Old 4 September 2022, 01:34 AM   #1074
eijiboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
You can kick and scream all you want but MODA is legit and the prices on there are the current market. In case you didn’t know all the trusted sellers buy watches on there and try to resell them on here. It’s a fact.
And worst part was he thinks that all of the watch thereon moda are used and polished to look new and restickered. and i was like, is there an oem like sticker for sale.?
Old 4 September 2022, 02:03 AM   #1075
isgrb
"TRF" Member

Just to play devil’s advocate, I don’t think he was arguing that moda is a poor barometer to gauge market benchmarks but that some of the pieces for sale there are sketchy since they are watch only, without papers or missing links etc.

Like all of you, I like using moda to get a sense of where the market is for different models but I tend to ignore posts that are watch only. I know that boxes are added easily on the secondary market but missing cards are a red flag for me and represent a bridge I personally am not comfortable crossing.

That said, maybe he was arguing something completely different, in which case carry on. Just my two cents. I’m enjoying this thread quite a bit, I collect pieces that I wear everyday but always have my eye on the market for trading/buying opportunities.
Old 4 September 2022, 02:07 AM   #1076
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Prices slump by up to 50% for discontinued Rolex watches (Watchpro)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post

Not legit. Reported and remained. When someone posts this abortion for $128K it drags prices down and gives the sense these are more common than they are. That's not the market. There's truth to what he was saying.
Old 4 September 2022, 02:46 AM   #1077
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

September will be very telling. Summer’s over, kids are back to school, etc.

If the market doesn’t bounce, I don’t know what excuse market bulls will use next.
Old 4 September 2022, 05:21 AM   #1078
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
September will be very telling. Summer’s over, kids are back to school, etc.

If the market doesn’t bounce, I don’t know what excuse market bulls will use next.
100%

Let me guess: "China will reopen.", "economy will rebounce" or "Ukraine-Russia will be solved"

Most of people never faced an inflation period. So they do not realize how it changes everything in our daily life and even more...

And the "official" narrative changed, inflation is stickier than "transitory" and we will have it for some time now.
Old 4 September 2022, 05:26 AM   #1079
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

In my months of monitoring MODA’s prices, what I can say is that the prices there is alittle ahead of the average watch market. I compare the prices there with TRF classified and my local market.
My local market prices never fails to go in the same direction as MODA prices. One of the reason I can think of is that most of the active listers there are full time traders/brick and mortar watch shops. They generally try to sell to their local market. If it doesn’t move, they list it on MODA at a lower price to get things going. This way, they protect the sentiments of their local watch market. Hence there is a lag in market prices as compared to MODA.

Whether it’s safe to buy there, the same principle of buying the seller applies. Most but not all on MODA are legit. There are always bad apples everywhere.
Old 4 September 2022, 05:42 AM   #1080
AbeFroman
Banned

Quote:
Not legit. Reported and remained. When someone posts this abortion for $128K it drags prices down and gives the sense these are more common than they are. That's not the market. There's truth to what he was saying.
Wasn’t that aftermarket meteorite dial disclosed though? I thought the seller mentioned it in the ad.
Closed Thread