The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 3 November 2023, 12:19 PM   #1
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Pam Carbotech issues

I have heard from a Panerai AD that they have had on two different occasions had clients break the lugs off their carbotech cased Panerai watches. Everything I have read online states that the material is tougher than steel. Ive even seen wheels on cars made of this stuff. it appears to me to be extremely tough and a perfect material to make a watch case out of.

I reached out to other Panerai dealers and asked them if they had ever seen a case crack or lug break and everyone else has said no they have seen nothing of the sort and swear by its strength.

has anyone here had any issues with it?
rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2023, 12:56 PM   #2
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

CF is strong, but brittle under certain stresses. Lugs have absolutely been chipped or broken off. As for wheels…run away. Porsche won’t touch them for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2023, 12:59 PM   #3
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

There was a post showing someone who broke a lug off, but IIRC, they had "fought" with it to get the strap off using something other than a normal tool. The way it is structured, I don't see anything breaking except under extreme stress; the material should de laminate or chip first. While not as "pretty" (subjective) as AP's forged carbon, it also doesn't have the issues that seem somewhat common with that process (at least in the older/first models AP introduced).

I haven't had any issues with my 1664, nor did I have issues with my forged carbon AP, but the AP definitely seemed like a "softer" material.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2023, 03:24 PM   #4
hojlund
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0331 View Post
There was a post showing someone who broke a lug off, but IIRC, they had "fought" with it to get the strap off using something other than a normal tool. The way it is structured, I don't see anything breaking except under extreme stress; the material should de laminate or chip first. While not as "pretty" (subjective) as AP's forged carbon, it also doesn't have the issues that seem somewhat common with that process (at least in the older/first models AP introduced).

I haven't had any issues with my 1664, nor did I have issues with my forged carbon AP, but the AP definitely seemed like a "softer" material.
bought my pam 1616 carbotech submersible about 3 years ago. i have no issue on the case so far, no chip or delamination, and i've changed straps many times. can i ask why you feel the AP forged carbon is softer, do you mean softer than panerai carbotech? could you tell us more?
hojlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 02:20 PM   #5
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojlund View Post
bought my pam 1616 carbotech submersible about 3 years ago. i have no issue on the case so far, no chip or delamination, and i've changed straps many times. can i ask why you feel the AP forged carbon is softer, do you mean softer than panerai carbotech? could you tell us more?
What he is referring to is the AP ROO made of forged carbon. There was a run of cases that were very soft and crumbled or flaked apart. AP did stand behind it and fixed it. One thing I had not considered is the difference between ceramic and forged carbon. I have owned many ceramic pieces over the years with zero issues. Excellent feed back from everyone thank you!
rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2023, 12:25 AM   #6
Agamemnon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Panerai
I have never had this type of problem with my Submersible Carbotech.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 02:39 PM   #7
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
yes AD admitted to me to be more careful because they had reports with chipping and cracking. not sure if carbotech but the one with the glass material
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 07:54 PM   #8
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

BMG-Tech
“Bulk Metallic Glass”
This is not the material in carbotech.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 11:19 AM   #9
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
I've seen both the Carbotech and BMG have issues with impacts
Obviously, you only see the few that fail and never hear about the many that dont

Personally, as someone who has managed to put a sizeable dent in a SS Cased watch, i'm weary of anything that might have issues if it takes a decent knock, which is a shame as I'm quite fond of the BMG Tech Subs
Old 10 November 2023, 10:58 PM   #10
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
I dont think its possible to knock off an entire lug from a carbonfiber watch. The lug could result in a stress fracture across a few layers of material but not enough to take a lug off entirely. Youd have to put so much leverage on just that single lug that I bet your wrist would be pulled in that direction as well. Lets say you fell off a bicycle or tripped face first into cement, yes that could result in a few layers of material cracking.

I would be more concerned with your lifestyle or poor body coordination rather then the watch if someone is breaking a lug on a carbon watch. Id be very curious of the circumstances that let to the damage before assuming the watch is not up to standards
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2023, 11:01 AM   #11
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojlund View Post
[quote- rolex]What he is referring to is the AP ROO made of forged carbon. There was a run of cases that were very soft and crumbled or flaked apart. AP did stand behind it and fixed it. One thing I had not considered is the difference between ceramic and forged carbon. I have owned many ceramic pieces over the years with zero issues. Excellent feed back from everyone thank you! [/quote]

Correct, the AP ROO forged carbon felt softer/less rigid than the PAM Carbotech. While I think AP's forged carbon looks "nicer", or stands out more, it's a completely different construction, which would (theoretically) be more susceptible to damage. A simple look on C24 of "carbon case" AP watches will find several in bad shape, where sharp edges "fray".

Don't get me wrong, I miss my FC 44mm, never had any issues with it, and will likely get another one someday, but for overall strength, I'd give it to Panerai in the carbon case department.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote