The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 June 2014, 07:22 AM   #61
Htab
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: To many
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm800 View Post
My realtor wore a Rolex and about 20K is jewelry.

My car salesman wears a Rolex

The guy that came to give me an estimate on putting in new flooring wore a Rolex

All sales that wore a Rolex and I did not think any less of them.
Htab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 07:23 AM   #62
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTC View Post
It's a completely legitimate concern if it can effect your business, positive or negative. E.g., PR agencies exist by tending the perception of one group on another, or publicists often by tending the perception of a group on an individual or project like a movie. There are numerous policies in the state law enforcement agency I serve that are mostly or exclusively about the perception of the public.

Tending perception by itself is not overly egocentric; it is the motive for why it is being tended that can make it a problem. If you're tending perception in order to keep your clients, constituents, or the public you serve the most comfortable with you, that could be a legitimate expression of that kind of relational management. If on the other hand you just have to wear a Rolex in order to deceive people in to thinking you're a person of greater means than you actually are, or to communicate your actual affluence in order to feel better about yourself, well I would respectfully suggest that's more the kind of problem you allude to in your post; and, the latter reason maybe is what the add two posts above is trying to pander to.
Buy a Timex and be done with it.
Old 13 June 2014, 07:27 AM   #63
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Years ago I had a guy come up and ask me if my Movado was real, when I said yes he was blown away. Some people notice watches, some think some are expensive, some don't know what they cost... which can be more dangerous. Like I said, if you are concerned leave it at home.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 07:55 AM   #64
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
I find that a majority of people just don't care about watches.

If you want to go under the radar get a luxury watch that doesn't say Rolex.

Hell if it was me Id consider a

Blancpain 50 Fathoms.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 09:01 AM   #65
Annan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTC View Post
It's a completely legitimate concern if it can effect your business, positive or negative. E.g., PR agencies exist by tending the perception of one group on another, or publicists often by tending the perception of a group on an individual or project like a movie. There are numerous policies in the state law enforcement agency I serve that are mostly or exclusively about the perception of the public.

Tending perception by itself is not overly egocentric; it is the motive for why it is being tended that make it legitimate or a problem. If you're tending perception in order to keep your clients, constituents, or the public you serve the most comfortable with you, that could be a legitimate expression of that kind of relational management. If on the other hand you just have to wear a Rolex in order to deceive people in to thinking you're a person of greater means than you actually are, or to communicate your actual affluence in order to feel better about yourself, well I would respectfully suggest that's more the kind of problem you allude to in your post; and, the latter reason maybe is what the add two posts above is trying to pander to.
The purpose (IMO) of the Rolex Forum is to celebrate and share the brand. If you find it necessary to apologize for, hide, rationalize or explain the wearing of Rolex, then perhaps you need to seek another forum.
Old 13 June 2014, 09:21 AM   #66
daveswordfish
"TRF" Member

I'm a sales director for large company and my team is responsible for $30MM in revenue per year, with an average deal size of around $45k. We get pricing push back constantly, as we are a high value offering compared to our competitors. Although we are worth it, we are typically looked at as being very expensive compared to other alternatives. We rarely move on price and, when we do, it's not much...basically a token gesture. Definitely an environment where you might think people would resent a salesperson with an upscale watch, as in "No discount? Why, so you can buy another Rolex?"

But the reality is that people want to buy from financially successful sales people. It indicates that you are good at your job, serious about your profession, knowledgeable about your product, and that you take good care of your customers. You can't be successful in the long term any other way.

Bring the right traits to the job and the watch will not be an issue.

Best of luck in the new role!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daveswordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 09:37 AM   #67
Tokyo Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: but don't touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
The purpose (IMO) of the Rolex Forum is to celebrate and share the brand. If you find it necessary to apologize for, hide, rationalize or explain the wearing of Rolex, then perhaps you need to seek another forum.
Amen brutha.
When I go to sales meetings I do everything I possibly can to put my best foot forward to the clients: close shave, nicest suit and tie, spit shined shoes. And one of my Rolexes. Anything less than best is disrespectful.
Tokyo Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 09:40 AM   #68
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I've been in sales for 41 years, have worn Rolex & Tudor watches since 1968......no one notices.
Old 13 June 2014, 09:51 AM   #69
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Truthfully, wear what you like; one will judge one way and another a different way. You can't please everyone. Don't presume to understand how people will react unless you've got some real statistics to back it up.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 09:54 AM   #70
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
Deleted by GTC
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 10:10 AM   #71
Annan
"TRF" Member

GTC...I guess I just don't get you. Moving on......
Old 13 June 2014, 10:13 AM   #72
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
I wear my Rolex in my sales job, and anyone who's ever commented on it have said "you must do well here" or "I guess business is good." I've had other people ask if I get paid well, and then comment on my watch after I tell them I "do alright." I by no means make a lot of money, but I can save up for the things that matter to me. People should see your luxury watch as a sign that you know what you're doing, rather than you're raking them over the coals because you can afford to give them a break.

Maybe 5-6 people have noticed my watches in the two years I've been wearing Rolex.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 10:50 AM   #73
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
This is an interesting thread. I've been in professional sales for all of my career (medical sales for 20+ years)

Part of what I love about sales is that every customer is a bit like a puzzle that needs to be solved. It's never the same way twice.

My advice to the OP would be to go with your gut on what to wear and not to wear.

Just like life - the great majority of folks won't notice or care. A few will be resentful. A few will appreciate a nice timepiece.

Personally I don't wear my DDII on sales calls but find that the AP RO is just about perfect for any work situation.

There are some doctors I know will be put off by any perceived ostentation especially since we are the most expensive maker of our particular technology.

Others are true WIS types and we have a great passion in common.

It's my good fortune that our technology is clearly best in class and I enjoy being able to emphatically demonstrate that superiority.

Taking good care of my customers for decades has earned me a nice living.

Here's an after hours pic with a couple of my coworkers. AP Navy, my RO and a PAM 372.

I work with a great team and there are quite a few WIS's in our ranks.

lig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 10:56 AM   #74
DrTom
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt master
well, i was more inclined to buy from a rep or 'detail' guy that wasn't too slick. i recommended my buddy who's a investment 'counsellor' at my bank to wear a jlc instead of a breitling (he really wants a jlc) but knowing how the medical sales industry is id be hesitant to buy from a guy who walks in with a 'flashy' rolex (ss maybe not so much like mil gauss even explorer but subs and the watches with some gold or a yacht master 2) and driving a german model.....and most dr's know rolex in my experience....but not necessarily pp or jlc or the ap's in the above post...
DrTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 12:47 PM   #75
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Another sales guy here...I have similar concerns as you. IMO, it depends on what you sell. If you are selling "high end" then the buyer understands Rolex. If you sell an item where they are grinding you down everyday then i wouldn't. I too have an Omega AT that i wear in the field.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 12:56 PM   #76
Flintstone
"TRF" Member

how to make a sale: leave your Rolex and nice car at home. Put on your Timex and drive to the sales call in a rusted out 15-year old F150 pick up --- That'll show 'em.

Seriously, the best salesman understand their customer needs, are sincere, listen and provide solutions. A watch can't do any of that that. Only the person that's wearing it can.
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 01:03 PM   #77
Rolex77
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXes, OMEGAs
wear an understated but beautiful watch like rolex AK or exp 1.
A gold rolex watch is too much in my opinion.
Rolex77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 01:38 PM   #78
Ubpfc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233
This again! No one cares what watch you wear except you (and people on this forum).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ubpfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 01:43 PM   #79
phils
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paltak View Post
with or without an expensive timepiece, it's how you conduct yourself that counts. Wear it with pride and enjoy!
+1.
phils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 01:48 PM   #80
phils
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I wore a Rolex all through my sales career. 99% of people did not notice it at all.
I wore a Sub, tt DJ, and a tt Sub.
The tt Sub. would get a look or two, but no talking about it.
Go ahead and wear it.
phils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 02:07 PM   #81
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Another is it safe?
Wear it if you want. If you are selling based on price alone you are not a salesman. If you are building value and trust your watch won't matter. If someone thinks I am ripping them off because of my watch then they don't trust me. I don't want the sale then because they will be a PITA post sale due to the trust issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 02:25 PM   #82
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I would wear it. People respond more favorably to those that look successful.
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 03:28 PM   #83
zacharyrtyler
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
I beat my vendors up on price all the time (I'm a distributor) and wear white gold, platinum, yellow gold, or stainless steel watches any given day. I've sold to my customers wearing the same. Never noticed any difference in treatment (i.e. sales result) if your mind is sharp.

Manner of dress is more influential in my opinion. I wear jeans and hoodie when selling to local startups, suit in law firms, etc.

My advice- be the best at what you do, project success and confidence, and focus on the right customers- who will care? Wouldn't want to deal w/ someone who'd be so caught up with resentment over a watch I have that they presumably don't that it would impede our ability to work together.
zacharyrtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 04:16 PM   #84
JRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough.
I work sales - retail in fact - and just picked up a 14060M and I haven't noticed any change in how my customers interact. I think it's all about how you carry yourself versus what you carry on your wrist.
JRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 04:19 PM   #85
BlakeC
"TRF" Member

The number one key to selling is selling yourself to the prospect. If you do that by authentic communication and a clear expression of having the clients interests in mind, you can sell them sand in the desert with a fur coat on. Sales are about communication and genuine interest in the clients needs. If you can do that, what watch you wear is a non issue. Just my 2 bits...

Also, enjoy what you have been fortunate enough to acquire.
BlakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 04:22 PM   #86
rustyduck
"TRF" Member

I think it depends upon which watch you wear and what you're wearing it with. it will fit or not. there is nothing wrong with wearing a Rolex in sales if it fits with what you're wearing and also with your personality. One of my partners is a dive instructor on the side. it would be consistent with both his wardrobe and his personality to wear a submariner. It would be best if it were SS though. A YM II would not fit him well in contrast. any of the explorer line would work with everything. I'd probably stay away from the pepsi or coke GMTs unless the colors fit the suit but black is more subtle. a SS datejust fits better than a gold dj. Most will not notice the difference between platinum, white gold and SS. depending upon what you're wearing, few will notice. you know your audience and what they're wearing. follow your instincts but not all Rolexes look alike or fit what you're wearing the same and not all have the cyclops that exudes Rolex. Of course, some are a little more universal. If I was concerned and wanted to wear a Rolex, I'd wear an Explorer I. Simple and classic. I agree with others here who point out that your attitude and confidence is more important than your watch unless the watch screams look at me.
rustyduck is offline   Reply With Quote