The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 3 April 2021, 02:04 AM   #91
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
I’ve bought two watches from them and was pretty satisfied overall.

One I thought was better shape than I expected vintage (6516 for my wife).

The bigger purchase of the two was from them which was my Exp. II. They were the most reasonably priced I could find for a full set at the time ($50 below msrp after I requested a discount) They listed it as excellent with a 2018 warranty card. Bought it in late 2018 to early 2019 time frame so my thoughts were that it’s basically a new watch. However there were a few little dents in the case that weren’t depicted, additionally the 2018 warranty card they mentioned wasn’t from date of sale, but apparently from a service as the clasp dates it to earlier in the 216570 run.

I thought they could’ve been a bit more forthcoming on the Exp. But I bought it to go through daily wear and beat and got a good price, so I was still happy and kept it.

Overall they are good in my opinion I just feel they could describe or picture things more accurately.

I can definitely understand the frustration to the situation, but businesses can run their business as they see fit. Sounds like you had a bad experience and based off that I just wouldn’t return, and likely wouldn’t think to highly of them either.
Old 3 April 2021, 02:08 AM   #92
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
That's a strange policy if it's true. Sorry you got bummed out, sounds like they pre-qualified you as some sort of stroker, probably did you a favor anyway.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 02:08 AM   #93
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
No matter my intention visiting their store, it's their job to convince me to purchase one of their watches ...
In this market? I don't think you and Bob have the same view of each other's bargaining power.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 02:09 AM   #94
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I recently walked into a VC boutique to see (again) their overseas Chrono in reverse panda. The sales associate was incredible, taking time to show me the watch, answer all of my questions, allow me to handle the piece and take pictures. I explained to him that I was not going to purchase, but wanted to review the watch, which I was considering for a 60th birthday present to myself, which is still several years away. He still continued to provide excellent service.

So, what did VC and that SA get out of the experience? Well, first of all, I have become a big advocate of their brand and that particular store and SA. As a matter of fact, he called to follow up and stated he had some blue dial overseas pieces if I were interested. We had a great talk, which resulted in me posted here on TRF of a particular watch, which resulted in them selling it through a Las Vegas transfer. Then, they got another, which again I posted and arranged another TRFer to make a deposit and then purchase.

You never know who you are dealing with and how they might be of benefit to your business, so my advise is to NEVER treat anyone walking through your door poorly. It not only alienates that customer, but could have a much bigger negative impact, and even allowing your sales staff to think about, laugh about or tells stories of "outing a tire kicker" is a cancer your business will not survive. Treat every customer like they are your most important, and why not? You never know how how it could help you, and it's just good business.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 02:13 AM   #95
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
In this market? I don't think you and Bob have the same view of each other's bargaining power.
Yes, in ANY market. They are selling used watches at market price, where they have to compete to sell them.

They are NOT an AD, where every hot watch has 1,000 customers, and even them, should do their best to be great. Why not? The ADs I have done business with are excellent ... really doing their best, despite challenges with getting enough watches. If they weren't, I would react the same. Good customer service is just that ... it isn't conditional.
Old 3 April 2021, 02:18 AM   #96
RKFdds
"TRF" Member

I went in there(February) recently looking for 118238..ready to buy. I had an appt. The woman brought out a circa 2001 white (no box, no papers) stick dial(non lume). Good condition, but some stretch. $23.5k+tax. Too much! I bought a much nicer 2006 piece w box and papers for $22.5k no tax. They could sell a lot more watches if they were priced correctly/& or would negotiate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RKFdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 02:51 AM   #97
SDREW22
"TRF" Member

Watch: TOG
Quote:
No matter my intention visiting their store, it's their job to convince me to purchase one of their watches ... not my job to thank them for accommodating me nor convince them of my intention to purchase. For anyone who owns a business, it is HARD to get potential customers to enter your store, and once they do, it is the job of your sales people to make them feel welcome and show them value ... either in price, selection or service ... they did none of those things. As a matter of fact, they alienated me by making me feel unwelcome. Treating anyone who walks through your door poorly doesn't serve the business well, so comments from many saying the store did the right thing was very surprising to me.
I don't see how you were treated poorly. Maybe it's just me. They accommodated you the best they could. You don't know their circumstance. You may not need to convince them that you were there to buy, but they don't need to sell to you. In this climate you will soon be replaced by the next buyer.
SDREW22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 05:54 AM   #98
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDREW22 View Post
I don't see how you were treated poorly. Maybe it's just me. They accommodated you the best they could. You don't know their circumstance. You may not need to convince them that you were there to buy, but they don't need to sell to you. In this climate you will soon be replaced by the next buyer.
You honest opinion? Truly? If so, for your own sake, I hope you don't own a business and allow that opinion to permeate your sales force.
Old 3 April 2021, 06:23 AM   #99
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDREW22 View Post
If they don't need to sell to the OP or others who come to the store, then who? You say "replaced by the next buyer" - how do you know they're a buyer, not just another tire kicker? At what point does the sales person turn on the charm?

Actually, when you're a grey market seller, you need to make a case to each prospective buyer.

As someone else said, Bob's isn't an AD, selling stainless steel sports watches at MSRP - when those grey market prices float up 50%, 70%, 100% over msrp, the demand curve flattens out.

If I'm a reseller who has already paid at or above msrp, I want to move my stock, and when someone takes an interest, I want to give myself the best chance to sell to him or her, right then and there.
Old 3 April 2021, 06:46 AM   #100
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

For a shop that gets most of its revenue from online sales (just guessing), in-person tire kickers are not a priority.

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 06:58 AM   #101
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

To the OP,
My 2 cents:
NO ONE IS AT FAULT!
You went there in good faith to find a great watch at a great price - the sales rep gave you access to the 2 watches that you requested and since you weren’t ready to buy the rep said adios - I fail to see why you’re expending all this energy besmirching Bob’s watches. If you really feel that you were disrespected, then call Paul Altieri himself and have a private, professional, thoughtful and respectful conversation with him - he is a reasonable man and I am sure he will take your call.
That said, Going on and on and on about woulda, coulda, shoulda is not healthy and is not giving you closure.
Good luck!
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 07:46 AM   #102
UK_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrs63 View Post
For a shop that gets most of its revenue from online sales (just guessing), in-person tire kickers are not a priority.

Sums it up.

UK_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 07:47 AM   #103
jankymutt
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
You never know who you are dealing with and how they might be of benefit to your business, so my advise is to NEVER treat anyone walking through your door poorly. It not only alienates that customer, but could have a much bigger negative impact, and even allowing your sales staff to think about, laugh about or tells stories of "outing a tire kicker" is a cancer your business will not survive. Treat every customer like they are your most important, and why not? You never know how how it could help you, and it's just good business.
1.) This was terrible customer service by Bob's and anyone who calls someone a "tire kicker" has a misconception about sales. A "tire kicker" is a potential customer and the SA should have done a better job closing the sale.

2.) Using COVID as an excuse for the 2 watch limit is idiotic. SARS-CoV2 is not commonly spread as a surface contact fomite so Bob's does not have to spend 3 hours scrubbing every watch someone tries on. It IS more commonly spread via respiratory droplets so if they are truly worried about COVID they should just do internet sales only.
Old 3 April 2021, 08:11 AM   #104
jw72
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex
Bobs made the mistake of not setting your expectation.
How would you feel if they said: Bob's requires appointment to view watches and you do not have an appointment. I can give you 20 minutes to look around, view watches on our iPad and select 2 watches to try on. Do you want to come in?
I have been there at 4pm on a Friday, they are busy, and have shipments to get out. I had an appointed and bought my wife a preselected watch. They were quick with us too.
jw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 12:54 PM   #105
gyang333
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw72 View Post
Bobs made the mistake of not setting your expectation.
How would you feel if they said: Bob's requires appointment to view watches and you do not have an appointment. I can give you 20 minutes to look around, view watches on our iPad and select 2 watches to try on. Do you want to come in?
I have been there at 4pm on a Friday, they are busy, and have shipments to get out. I had an appointed and bought my wife a preselected watch. They were quick with us too.
Yup I agree. They kind of half-assed the expectations with the OP. Also, their business is probably 90% online? It sounds like their in-person experience could be tweaked or curated better since it might be more of a blindspot for them.
gyang333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 09:12 AM   #106
LarryHodges
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Not a great customer service experience, but sounds like the OP is taking it personally. I can’t see sweating it this much, just spend your money elsewhere.
LarryHodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 03:07 PM   #107
RolexRog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Today I had some time while in Newport Beach, so decided to stop by Bob's Watch (my first time) to see what they had on offer. As I approached their door around 4pm, I saw a sign saying, they were appointment only, but if there was time, you can enter and be seen. So, I opened the door and spoke to the receptionist who said they had time to serve me. She explained the process, which was for me to sit at one of their desks with one of their iPads and choose watches I'd like to see. Once I had an idea, I was to write down their inventory number and they would bring them to me, but only two at a time, which was understandable.

So, I wrote down the first three watches on a sticky, which she took while I was writing down more watches (seven in total). I left the rest of the stickies there while I waited for the first two watches - the others I was going to look at were the WG Sub 126619, the white Daytona 116500, the Sub Date 126610LV, and Milgauss 1019 from 1968.

A sales rep came out with a 1963 Submariner 5513 (https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-su...tage-5513.html) and 1966 GMT 1675 Pepsi (https://www.bobswatches.com/vintage-...5-pepsi.html); she reminded me that they closed at 5pm. The submariner's bezel would not turn, she said someone would have to look into that. The GMT was on what appeared to be the original rivet bracelet, which was too small to fit on my wrist and the wind seemed to be crisp, but not as smooth as I would like to feel in a Rolex. So, I thanked her and said I would like to see the next two I selected. It was around 4:15pm at that time.

She said, "No, that's not how it works. There are only two watches per appointment, so you will have to make another appointment and come back to see any more watches."

I left, but wasn't happy ... I mean why not show me more watches? So I called the story as I drove away. The same sales rep answered. I was up front with her and told her I wasn't happy about being asked to make another appointment and drive an hour back to see more. They weren't busy, so why not just show me the others. She said it was policy, so I asked to speak to the manager. She said the manager was in a meeting, but she would pass him and note and promised he would call me back before they closed. I asked the name of the manager, she said he was George (I think). I received no call.

My question for everyone ==> have you done business with Bob's and if so, how was your experience? Also, if you owned a watch shop, would you want you sales persons when it's slow to tell people to make another appointment and come back? It's SOOOOOO hard to acquire a customer (to get them in your shop), why would you chase them out where there was no reason? I think it's bad business, but want your feedback.
I've not been so lucky to actually physically be there at Bob's Watches, but I have purchased two watches from them:

1 1990 Datejust
1 1966 Oyster Perpetual (that still looks new!)

Great experience both times (but I have also had great experiences with other watch sellers, including Empire Time NY, Royalwatch7 (ebay), and Watchcrusher (ebay).

When I was a first time Rolex buyer I felt very safe making my first purchases from Bob's. That said, I like my watches customized sometimes, and you won't find that on Bob's, it's all 100% Rolex.
RolexRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2021, 01:32 AM   #108
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
The OP is 100 percent right and I have no problem with this post. Anyone who has worked in retail and provided great customer service should know that the "Customer is King."

That's Rule No. 1 in retail, but in this topsy-turvy world of Rolexes, some of these watch sellers act as if they're doing you a favor. Ridiculous.

And even if the OP was perceived as a "tire-kicker," so what? That's life in retail. You still need to accommodate them with respect and a smile. And tire-kickers actually buy sometimes anyway!

The good news is that we all get to vote with our wallet, and that means never buying from Bob's if you feel you've been mistreated.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2021, 01:39 PM   #109
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Sure, bring the guy that showed up without an appointment close to closing time a big old tray of a few dozen Rolexes...heck, just let him browse around in the safe while you take the trash out....what could possibly go wrong?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2021, 06:51 PM   #110
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Wow. Some comments here are interesting. Whatever happened to proper customer service? Whats wrong with a guy asking to see a few watches? Thats how sales start... He goes home, thinks about it and might come back to buy the one he likes.
Imagine boutiques or Rolex AD's having the same policies. I bet many here wouldn't accept that....
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2021, 10:14 PM   #111
Brew
"TRF" Member

"Customer service, I demand customer service!! Don't you know who I am?!!! Make an exception to your policy for ME, dammit!!!"
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2021, 10:16 PM   #112
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
Wow. Some comments here are interesting. Whatever happened to proper customer service? Whats wrong with a guy asking to see a few watches? Thats how sales start... He goes home, thinks about it and might come back to buy the one he likes.
Imagine boutiques or Rolex AD's having the same policies. I bet many here wouldn't accept that....

Most threads on TRF that criticize a watch dealer get about 25% support for OP and 75% defense of the dealer. It's like Stockholm syndrome. Tell tale signs are discussions of dealer overhead, holding costs, slim margins, and dealing with tire tickers... and of course many other aspects of running a business that watch consumers shouldn't have to be concerned with while shopping.
Old 7 April 2021, 03:45 AM   #113
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
I've never been to the store, but I did buy a watch from them. Upstanding business, highly recommended, and frankly, the most tolerable place to buy a Rolex from that I can think of.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2021, 07:24 AM   #114
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Cannot imagine I would ever buy from Bob's. Way too many other good options out there.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 09:55 PM   #115
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Today I had some time while in Newport Beach, so decided to stop by Bob's Watch (my first time) to see what they had on offer. As I approached their door around 4pm, I saw a sign saying, they were appointment only, but if there was time, you can enter and be seen. So, I opened the door and spoke to the receptionist who said they had time to serve me. She explained the process, which was for me to sit at one of their desks with one of their iPads and choose watches I'd like to see. Once I had an idea, I was to write down their inventory number and they would bring them to me, but only two at a time, which was understandable.

So, I wrote down the first three watches on a sticky, which she took while I was writing down more watches (seven in total). I left the rest of the stickies there while I waited for the first two watches - the others I was going to look at were the WG Sub 126619, the white Daytona 116500, the Sub Date 126610LV, and Milgauss 1019 from 1968.

A sales rep came out with a 1963 Submariner 5513 (https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-su...tage-5513.html) and 1966 GMT 1675 Pepsi (https://www.bobswatches.com/vintage-...5-pepsi.html); she reminded me that they closed at 5pm. The submariner's bezel would not turn, she said someone would have to look into that. The GMT was on what appeared to be the original rivet bracelet, which was too small to fit on my wrist and the wind seemed to be crisp, but not as smooth as I would like to feel in a Rolex. So, I thanked her and said I would like to see the next two I selected. It was around 4:15pm at that time.

She said, "No, that's not how it works. There are only two watches per appointment, so you will have to make another appointment and come back to see any more watches."

I left, but wasn't happy ... I mean why not show me more watches? So I called the story as I drove away. The same sales rep answered. I was up front with her and told her I wasn't happy about being asked to make another appointment and drive an hour back to see more. They weren't busy, so why not just show me the others. She said it was policy, so I asked to speak to the manager. She said the manager was in a meeting, but she would pass him and note and promised he would call me back before they closed. I asked the name of the manager, she said he was George (I think). I received no call.

My question for everyone ==> have you done business with Bob's and if so, how was your experience? Also, if you owned a watch shop, would you want you sales persons when it's slow to tell people to make another appointment and come back? It's SOOOOOO hard to acquire a customer (to get them in your shop), why would you chase them out where there was no reason? I think it's bad business, but want your feedback.

I bought ss ceramic Daytona from them and it came with one missing link. When I inquired about the link they said they can sell one to me for $150. I paid grey market price for the watch and they SCAM me for a link. It’s a terrible business practice. Don’t buy from them

rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 10:02 PM   #116
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensai View Post
Honestly, I can empathize with Bob’s and understand their policy.
They are a legit and well-respected business, not a watch museum.
It is not easy to be a business in USA this day and age.

Respectable business? I’ve had personal experience with a purchase of my Daytona.

Old 5 July 2021, 10:17 PM   #117
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post
You keep suggesting you would have to make "another appointment", when in fact, you didn't have an appointment to begin with. It was nice of them to accomodate you so close to closing time, not even considering the fact we're in a global pandemic. In addition, Bob's is a primarily online business, and it's possible, perhaps even likely, they aren't fully staffed in their brick & motor location because of the pandemic. Most sales associates are likely working remotely when possible and only coming in when they need to handle merchandise.

Also, there's no reason to believe there's anything wrong with the two watches they showed you. Older Submariners are notorious for requiring extra force to move the bezels, especially when compared to anything newer than 1990. Many people familiar with only modern Rolex are surprised when trying to handle older watches. And the GMT was likely fine as well. Not all Rolexes wind as smoothly as modern ones.

Overall you're trying pretty hard to pull the victim card for who knows what reason, when in reality you showed up to a business with no appointment, an hour before closing, during the largest global pandemic our generation has seen, and asked to see maybe $100,000+ in inventory with no visible intention (as you noted yourself) on buying anything.

This take is almost as bad as that other forum poster complaining about having to wait in line at the Apple store. This may be a good time to reassess what matters in life and focus on actual problems instead of trying to create drama for yourself.

If Bob is mainly an online business, then why even have a brick and mortar store unless they want to sell to walk-in customers as well. If they are going to have a store front then treat every customer like he’s John Mayer. I am a business owner and I would have fired that employee on the spot if I knew she pulled that stunt. I wouldn’t even have that dumb store policy in the first place. Even if the OP didn’t intend to buy, he can still goes on a public forum like…..oh I don’t know TRF?, to recount his bad experience. You tell me how is that good for business. An unhappy customer will tell 100 others, a happy customer might tell just 1 or 2.

Old 5 July 2021, 10:28 PM   #118
nevikwen
"TRF" Member

I recently bought from Bob's watches online. Went through their online cart ordering system.

I sent their sales a couple of emails regarding how I would process the payment. Received no answer. The payment ended up going through and I received an automated confirmation with tracking number. I received my watch. But the lack of communication does seem a little automated/systematic.
Compare to other online dealers, ie. tropicalwatch and craft and tailored, Bob's watches seemed a little souless, which can be scaring sometimes.
nevikwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 10:28 PM   #119
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezler View Post
I'm less concerned about their customer experience. I'm more worried that they Satanize their watches!!!

How much effort does it take to sanitize a watch? It not like sanitizing a car at s dealership.

Old 5 July 2021, 10:29 PM   #120
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
Isn’t that the role of the salesperson - turning interest in to a sale? That basic premise of the job seems to have been lost.

I agree with you 100%