The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 24 August 2023, 02:46 PM   #1
HereForWatches
"TRF" Member

SF Bay Area Patek Watchmakers

Hi Everyone!

I’m looking for an independent SF Bay Area watchmaker than can work on Patek Philippe. If you know of anyone, please do let me know!

Thanks!
HereForWatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 02:55 PM   #2
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
https://usaworldtime.com/
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 01:16 AM   #3
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Out of curiosity why use an independent? How do they source parts?
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 02:31 AM   #4
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Out of curiosity why use an independent? How do they source parts?

This is totally right. This ain’t a Toyota!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 04:37 AM   #5
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I know what Patek does if they don’t have a part, they make it using the original equipment with the OG craftsmen.

What does Joe independent do? Melt a couple paperclips? Build parts off a 3d printer?

How would they get a new crown?

Wondering if there are Patek parts accounts floating around?
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 05:26 AM   #6
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

And hope they got insurance if they get robbed.

Probably better to send to PP.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 10:15 AM   #7
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

I believe you are looking for a master watchmaker. What is the watch and respective part you want built? I may know of someone but I am hesitant to suggest for the above reasons.

Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 02:12 AM   #8
HereForWatches
"TRF" Member

Wow, thanks to everyone in this thread for the awesome responses!

First, let me say this: My preference is always to get my Pateks serviced by Patek Philippe. For example, I have my 3940 in Geneva for service now.

Back to my original question:

I recently purchased a 3800 from the original owner. The owner sheepishly admitted that the watch has never been serviced. Honestly, this isn't a bad thing - at least the case has never been polished. I do plan to send the watch to Patek for a full service, but I would love to enjoy the watch a bit before saying goodbye for several months.

In the meantime, I would like to take a quick peek at the inside of the case and movement to make sure the numbers match the Certificate of Origin. Kerns (my local AD) politely declined to open the watch because they don't have a watchmaker certified on the 3800. So I'm really looking for someone capable enough to open a 3800 and snap a few photos.

What do you all think? Are there capable independent watchmakers that can perform this service for me, or should Patek do this work instead?
Old 26 August 2023, 12:36 PM   #9
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereForWatches View Post

First, let me say this: My preference is always to get my Pateks serviced by Patek Philippe. For example, I have my 3940 in Geneva for service now.

I recently purchased a 3800 from the original owner. The owner sheepishly admitted that the watch has never been serviced. Honestly, this isn't a bad thing - at least the case has never been polished. I do plan to send the watch to Patek for a full service, but I would love to enjoy the watch a bit before saying goodbye for several months.

In the meantime, I would like to take a quick peek at the inside of the case and movement to make sure the numbers match the Certificate of Origin. Kerns (my local AD) politely declined to open the watch because they don't have a watchmaker certified on the 3800. So I'm really looking for someone capable enough to open a 3800 and snap a few photos.

What do you all think? Are there capable independent watchmakers that can perform this service for me, or should Patek do this work instead?

Congratulations! I was under the impression you needed a part built, but if it keeps correct time I would just wear it now. I like doing this with vintage pieces to get to know the idiosyncrasies of the piece that I may or may not want to address later. Any watch maker will want to service it and charge you accordingly.

Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 01:33 PM   #10
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereForWatches View Post

I think World Time as someone shared about would be able to help you out. Have heard great things about Son.

Side question - curious how did you find the 3800 for sale from orig owner? Online?

Good luck!
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2023, 01:22 AM   #11
HereForWatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Side question - curious how did you find the 3800 for sale from orig owner? Online?
I found the watch on Chrono24, of all places. We were able to arrive at a deal that made sense, despite the fees. I've been looking for a 3800 for more than a year, so it was great to find a complete set from the guy who bought it back in 1997. Even better than the watch had never been polished!

I'm considering swapping the date wheel. I see dark wheels on eBay for $300-500. I doubt Patek would do it for me, so it might be good to have an independent watchmaker at the ready. I'll give Son a call. Thanks!
Old 27 August 2023, 03:09 AM   #12
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Son @ World Time is fantastic. They also guarantee their work for peace of mind, worth talking to them about your project.

I'd use it as an excuse to goto Valley Fair right after and browse the Rolex AD, new Vacheron Boutique, et.al
Old 28 August 2023, 11:14 AM   #13
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Son will be able to open it for you.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2023, 03:05 PM   #14
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ1925 View Post
Son @ World Time is fantastic. They also guarantee their work for peace of mind, worth talking to them about your project.

I'd use it as an excuse to goto Valley Fair right after and browse the Rolex AD, new Vacheron Boutique, et.al

Is vacheron Open now ?

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2023, 03:35 PM   #15
chimp98
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ Octa Lune
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Is vacheron Open now ?

Not yet, last time I checked a couple of weeks ago. The last time I spoke with Jenny at CH, I think they're opening VC at the same time CH is done with the remodeling.
Old 30 August 2023, 04:50 AM   #16
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

They’re open. I visited last week

Old 30 August 2023, 04:53 AM   #17
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Is vacheron Open now ?

Yes. Didn’t have either a 1921 or VCO on display but did have a few annuals. They spent more time trying to sell me on their custom strap builder in store for order.

Old 30 August 2023, 05:35 AM   #18
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ1925 View Post
Yes. Didn’t have either a 1921 or VCO on display but did have a few annuals. They spent more time trying to sell me on their custom strap builder in store for order.

lol thanks Ill check it out next time I crave DTF - when I was still in their good graces they would make reservations for me but since I have not jumped on buying one of their roger dubuis or breguet tourbs I dont get any messages back
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote