The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 September 2020, 09:40 AM   #61
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
Yeah, it's crazy
Yup!
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 10:40 AM   #62
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
I'd have no problem selling one of the 6-digit references (probably the GMT). That may provide enough $ to sneak in the Up/Down.

That said, the Lange 1 is by far my preferred choice here. So if it's really the one you want, then by all means sell the GMT and Sub. Keep the ExpII (classic 5-digit reference and your go-anywhere, do-anything watch now) and get the ALS!

Have you checked out the black dial L1 Moonphase? It's another few thousand $, but well worth it if you can stretch. ALS black dial watches are something special, and you get the rotating moon disc.

Old 22 September 2020, 11:41 AM   #63
TTalk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baamvino View Post
...I need to flip 2 watches from my current collection to fund one of the watches from ALS...
TTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:56 AM   #64
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

I wish my lifestyle fit with ALS because I really like many of their models.
Avs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 12:25 PM   #65
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Absolutely. No question.
Old 22 September 2020, 12:39 PM   #66
kuuttingg
"TRF" Member

Watch: CK2998.SD43.D5000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptorx View Post
It depends on your reasonings to keep or flip, what do you see in the ALS that you like? Which of your existing are you attached or not attached to?

Personally for me Rolexes are too “out there”, I think ALS is more subtle but the true watch aficionados would appreciate it. So you might not get attention everywhere you go with it, vs the Rolexes, but I like this about brands like ALS because you don’t necessarily want attention everywhere you go, only from the select few who get it ;)

I totally agree.
kuuttingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 02:35 PM   #67
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Agreed, there is something so special about black dial Lange and the stunning moonphase (any of the 7 variants they offer) just takes it over the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
I'd have no problem selling one of the 6-digit references (probably the GMT). That may provide enough $ to sneak in the Up/Down.

That said, the Lange 1 is by far my preferred choice here. So if it's really the one you want, then by all means sell the GMT and Sub. Keep the ExpII (classic 5-digit reference and your go-anywhere, do-anything watch now) and get the ALS!

Have you checked out the black dial L1 Moonphase? It's another few thousand $, but well worth it if you can stretch. ALS black dial watches are something special, and you get the rotating moon disc.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 02:50 PM   #68
JBowen2
"TRF" Member

This is a tough one

I don’t think I’d personally do it, but if i were to do it I’d keep the BLNR and get the Lange 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JBowen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 03:03 PM   #69
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

I would absolutely do it. It’s another level of watch making. Held one once and they just don’t compare
Old 22 September 2020, 03:15 PM   #70
scombs263
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
Hell no.........
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 04:49 PM   #71
ow44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datograph Up/Down
That's not crazy.

Lange is in a completely different class.

You should be able to get at least a 15% discount on Lange watches at an AD, best i have gotten is 25%.
ow44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 05:26 PM   #72
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post

This is such an incredible timepiece, the moon disc with the black dial seems like outer space with Lange’s finishing, it’s stunning. One of ALS’s best, regardless of price
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 05:29 PM   #73
dmash
"TRF" Member

OP I’d definitely do it. You’re getting a watch in a totally different league while still keeping one SS Rolex that you can wear in any situation. I’m not of the ‘have 5 Rolex in your collection’ crowd because there’s so many other great designs from other brands (such as this one).

BTW, you’re going to get some biased answers here as I’d venture to say the majority of Rolex guys never wear anything unless it’s on bracelet. Ask this question in the Patek sub forum for example and guaranteed you’d probably get biased answers towards ALS.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 05:47 PM   #74
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitadine View Post
I‘d sell Ex2 and Batgirl for Lange 1.
You then have a perfect 2 watch collection of SubC as toolwatch in SS and ALS 1 as dresswatch in PM.
Plus one
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 05:50 PM   #75
guffyboy92
"TRF" Member

Watch: All that I own
Hi!

I love Lange, I believe that they are in the vanguard of high horology and on occasion eclipse the King PP in some regards. I used to own an 1815 Chrono in WG and it brought me hours of enjoyment, particularly when deep diving into that wonderfully intricate movement!

That said, you have some lovely watches in your collection, and from my personal experience, unless you are really tired of a watch, flipping it out of necessity to scratch an itch almost always resulted in me having sellers remorse, so I am now more aligned with the philosophy of saving and waiting for the right time financially before making a new acquisition.

However, if I were you and absolutely had to flip a watch to have a new Lange, I'd flip the EXP II no question. Second would be the Sub, but as much as possible I'd avoid that.

Lange 1 is also the way to go.

Lastly, I'd strongly consider going mint condition pre-owned on this one. As great as Lange's are, they take a beating in the secondary market if bought at retail, so I believe the most cost effective strategy here would be to search diligently for an excellent condition pre owned Lange 1. You could contact a reputable grey dealer to help assist you, they are typically very helpful.

Hope this helps, good luck!
guffyboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 06:17 PM   #76
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
These threads have alot of Rolex fans posting at first and then once more non-Rolex people see the thread the other brands get more support, so its best to wait past the first page to get a more general view.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 09:21 PM   #77
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not do it but if I really wanted the watch I would figure out how to get it without selling my other watches.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 01:50 AM   #78
juve
"TRF" Member

Keep Rolex
juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 02:50 AM   #79
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
kind of surprised by the responses here. Of course it all comes down to personal preference but I don't think it's crazy at all. I'd much rather have one lange than two common rolexes personally. The quality trumps the quantity for me there personally.
PhilLynott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 03:41 AM   #80
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I would keep your Rolexes and buy a gently used Lange.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:12 AM   #81
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Totally respect ALS... yet wait until you can get it without trading. jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:18 AM   #82
chaosiwe
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 114060
Up an down and no date
chaosiwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:20 AM   #83
Exiztence
"TRF" Member

I feel like if you bought all the watches at retail (or at least GMT and Sub) and you really want Lange then I would keep the ND, ND is to me the quintessential Rolex, it is not a overhyped instagram queen like the GMT and thus the GMT will cover significant amount of Lange cost. I think it really depends if you are into watches or if you are into Rolexes.
Exiztence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 07:01 AM   #84
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Watch: —>
Big NOPE
Old 23 September 2020, 08:05 AM   #85
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Go for it! A Lange is a special and rare piece of horology while a Rolex is a great (the greatest?) tool watch but also fairly common. One of each of those would makes great sense as a balanced two-watch collection.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 04:07 PM   #86
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
For those two ALS, buy preowned.

Sell one of your Rolex If you don’t wear it anymore.

Otherwise, just be happy Rolex are liquid and you can always find a buyer, it will just depend if you like the price you sell it at.

Do you have access to Rolex at retail and don’t think you will have issues getting another? Then go ahead sell and cash in the appreciation.

You can always replace your Rolex too... there are lots of examples of your references, but market prices may or may not be higher than what you sold it for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 09:38 PM   #87
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I love Lange and would flip any steel Rolex for a PREOWNED Lange 1 moonphase for sure. No way in hell am I buying any Lange at MSRP anytime soon tho.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 02:10 AM   #88
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Keep the BLNR and get the Up/Dn. How many Oyster case watches does one need in their collection?
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 01:11 AM   #89
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

This popped up today on Chrono24: https://www.chrono24.com/alangesoehn...rm=AdImageLink

I would definitely flip a Rolex for a Lange, but would go Pre-owned.
Old 27 September 2020, 02:59 AM   #90
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Keep the Sub, buy the L1 (up down is not « special » enough to exist in a two watch collection), you won’t ever need another watch than those two. I have a 4500v I use as a daily and an L1 for nicer occasions... and between the two of them, they have relegated every other watch I have to the safe, including every Rolex in the collection. It’s just another level.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote