The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 September 2020, 11:08 AM   #31
tgoose1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-427 View Post
I reset my 6 digit (block head) Submariner, purchased in November, 2019 in March to correspond with daylight savings time and haven't set it since. The watch is currently 5 seconds slow! Needless to say, I'm not interested in the new movement in the 20/20 Submariners.
Great watch and fabulous Rolex 3135 movement. You do not have a 1-1,000k movement; like yourself I reset my 9-year old 116610 twice a year and stay within 15 seconds of actual time. Many here feel that +-10 seconds/day, or whatever, means their watch is not accurate, when actually the same variance/day correlates to a very consistent movement. What's important is "consistency" based on all other factors that influence mechanical movements. Add expert regulation/precision/durability and you have a average Rolex movement.
tgoose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 02:12 PM   #32
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-427 View Post
I reset my 6 digit (block head) Submariner, purchased in November, 2019 in March to correspond with daylight savings time and haven't set it since. The watch is currently 5 seconds slow! Needless to say, I'm not interested in the new movement in the 20/20 Submariners.
Great movement. Shame about the watch
Just kidding

An outstanding result for the ownership experience.
I love the "block head"thing too
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 02:17 PM   #33
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
The 3135 is a LEGEND
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 02:30 PM   #34
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
My expectations are pretty high just because I'm new to the mechanical watch world. It's like buying a brand new car and then looking at the specs of something from 2001.

*I'm a bit of a movement nerd and I'm pining over the new GS 9RA5.
My GS SBGA031 was my first non-Rolex acquisition, attractive because of the spring drive and titanium case & bracelet. It's +0.3 seconds per day, very happy with it. But it's still not a Rolex. The date change takes over an hour, the clasp is nowhere near the quality of a Rolex, and it will never keep its value like a Rolex. But I love the novelty of it- the exception that proves the rule.

Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 03:54 PM   #35
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Same here - it's the start of Daylight saving here later this evening, so I advanced the time by an hour this afternoon ready for tomorrow on my 2019 114060. In doing so I just realised I have not adjusted it for at least the last two months that it has been my daily wear....it's within a second after all that time!
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 05:47 PM   #36
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
The 3135 is a LEGEND
Yes but so were the 12,series ,15 series,30 series and basically all the Rolex movements if regulated could match the 3135 in terms of accuracy and reliability.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 05:47 PM   #37
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

I suspect this concentration on implausible levels of mechanical precision leads to long-term disappointment. You can be lucky, for a while. And Rolex make some of the best movements. But mechanical watches are inherently flawed , imperfect.
Just enjoy them. I gave up timing my Rolex years ago. Unless it’s causing problems, why bother? I mean, would you check your car against the stopwatch every month?
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 07:20 PM   #38
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911991 View Post
Sorry, but that is unbelieveable and maybe impossible accuracy for a fully mechanical watch, but if it is really true you need to call Guinness book of world records, as that has to be one of the most accurate mechanical watches...
Don't apologize LOL. Moreover, I doubt if Guinness will be interested. I couldn't believe the accuracy myself but I checked the watch three times and obtained the same reading. I've had virtually every Rolex made, plus quartz and mechanical Omegas and Breitlings. I sold them all when I retired and wear my Sub 24/7 so maybe that pattern of use has something to do with the accuracy.
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 08:13 PM   #39
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
COSC needs to be more strict. -4/+6 is a bit trash these days from what I've seen. If a $500 watch is +2/-2 a day without any certification it sort of makes a COSC certification worthless; except it's actually a big cost additive.
Trash?

I love my $19 Casio dive watch. And it is more accurate than most Rolexes. But if you are don't understand why I like my sub better...

Do some reading about the history of watchmaking.

Or, go to a museum and compare the originals hanging the gallery with the copies available for a fraction of the cost in the gift shop.

Stay safe.
Old 26 September 2020, 08:55 PM   #40
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Trash?

I love my $19 Casio dive watch. And it is more accurate than most Rolexes. But if you are don't understand why I like my sub better...

Do some reading about the history of watchmaking.

Or, go to a museum and compare the originals hanging the gallery with the copies available for a fraction of the cost in the gift shop.

Stay safe.

Well said.
Old 26 September 2020, 09:13 PM   #41
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoose1 View Post
Great watch and fabulous Rolex 3135 movement. You do not have a 1-1,000k movement; like yourself I reset my 9-year old 116610 twice a year and stay within 15 seconds of actual time. Many here feel that +-10 seconds/day, or whatever, means their watch is not accurate, when actually the same variance/day correlates to a very consistent movement. What's important is "consistency" based on all other factors that influence mechanical movements. Add expert regulation/precision/durability and you have a average Rolex movement.
Today I just cannot understand the obsession in worrying about a few seconds out of 86400 in a day. Yes Rolex is a very expensive watch and a Swiss chronometer, but to bare that wording on the dial. First the bare uncased movement no dial or winding rotor is loaded into Rolex own machine at the Swiss COSC. The machine winds the watch and checks by time lapse photography over the 15 days test in different positions and temperatures to meet the COSC spec -4+6 seconds daily AVERAGE. And in the first 10 days of testing the movement could vary by up to 10 seconds on a single day and still pass the test. And yes many movements could pass the COSC test today, take the Chinese made Seagull ST19 movement after careful regulation can run a consistent +2 seconds a day. Cost of that movement around $50 and a very reliable movement, but will need much more regulation in a year to keep it there than a Rolex movement would.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 10:03 PM   #42
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Today I just cannot understand the obsession in worrying about a few seconds out of 86400 in a day. Yes Rolex is a very expensive watch and a Swiss chronometer, but to bare that wording on the dial. First the bare uncased movement no dial or winding rotor is loaded into Rolex own machine at the Swiss COSC. The machine winds the watch and checks by time lapse photography over the 15 days test in different positions and temperatures to meet the COSC spec -4+6 seconds daily AVERAGE. And in the first 10 days of testing the movement could vary by up to 10 seconds on a single day and still pass the test. And yes many movements could pass the COSC test today, take the Chinese made Seagull ST19 movement after careful regulation can run a consistent +2 seconds a day. Cost of that movement around $50 and a very reliable movement, but will need much more regulation in a year to keep it there than a Rolex movement would.
It is indeed an interesting phenomenon.

IMOP it is like not being able to appreciate the old growth forest for focusing on the hybrid potted tree you picked up at Lowes, in a snapshot of time, without regard to the amount of miracle grow and pruning that it took to get to that point and what it will be required in the future.

Agree on the Seagull, and for it's cost it is impressive. But the ST19 is not comparable to a Rolex movement.

As to the Tissot (a/k/a Swatch) Powermatic referred to above, it is also impressive for its price. But how long it will run like it does out of the box is questionable, as indeed is finding someone to regulate it a few years down the road. And what the case and bracelet will look like after heavy long term use is another matter entirely.

https://calibercorner.com/tissot-caliber-powermatic-80/

Again. My $20 Casio is impressive for its cost and purpose. But a watch that will last half a century it is not.

It's very much like my half century old Massey Ferguson. Yes, you can buy several cheap tractors for the price of a well made tractor. And yes, they look shiny and run great when you get them home. But how will they do 50 years down the road? You may not care about that. So, buy the cheap tractor.
Old 26 September 2020, 11:08 PM   #43
bmb15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Yes unbelievable accuracy you must have a movement in 10000000,and no matter the movement, or brand of watch its only as good as what its been regulated to that matches there owners daily wearing resting paten..
I share that view to 100%.

Rolex regulates new and serviced watches always to run a bit too fast, about 1-3 s/d. If this deviation remains linear with time, i.e. over days, weeks, months, then you have a perfect mechanical watch, despite the fact that - with +2 s/d - you would deviate +1 min/month. Don't forget that this is a deviation of only 23 microseconds/s.

In addition the rate (s/d) is position and amplitude dependent. Therefore, your measured deviation over a long period also depends on how you wear the watch and in which position it remains over night. One also needs a precise and reliable reference clock to compare with.

If somebody wants a super precise watch, then either buy a quartz or a Caesium Atomic Watch
bmb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 02:49 AM   #44
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Watch: The BIG ones
The same watch on a different person will have a different accuracy. Also, if your individual wear pattern changes, your accuracy will change.

My buddy’s sub was consistently 2.5 spd fast. He is an engineer, and worked on a computer for eight hours a day. His watch spent a lot of time dial up during the day. He recently retired, and now his watch consistently runs 1.5 spd fast. Because he doesn’t spend all that time on the computer anymore, and his watch isn’t face up all day, it consistently runs at a different rate.
Smobews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 09:36 PM   #45
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smobews View Post
The same watch on a different person will have a different accuracy. Also, if your individual wear pattern changes, your accuracy will change.
I wear my Sub 24/7 and walk 3.5 miles with my dog every day. Perhaps that wear pattern contributes to the uncanny accuracy because I wear the watch on my walks and naturally give it a swinging motion as I move.
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote