The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12 November 2021, 10:14 PM   #1
Nickbrownartwork
Banned

Please help identifying watch production year/details

Hello,
I’m new here and my knowledge of Rolex is very limited so I thought this might be the place where someone would be able to help me. I have an old Rolex (at least 15 years old, possibly a lot older) it’s been in my family for a while and is in a pretty bad shape. I want to get it restored to its former glory, but have no idea what year it was produced. It’s a 31mm Datejust, the bracelet is broken, it has missing links and no clasp, it is also quite scratched so will need a fair bit of work. If you’re reading this would you be able to know what year this watch is from and what the possible value of it (approx) may be? Also do you know what the best way for me to go about getting this repaired is? I don’t want to spend any more than I need to. The watch itself works, it’s just the scratches and the bracelet that need repairing/ replacing. Any help or opinions anyone could give me would be hugely appreciated. Thank you for your time
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 25745836-8762-45CD-A76B-1464BE2B211F.jpeg (239.7 KB, 250 views)
Old 13 November 2021, 01:01 AM   #2
dhknola
"TRF" Member

datewheel looks odd with a closed 9
Old 13 November 2021, 02:17 AM   #3
Nickbrownartwork
Banned

I think it’s the photo/ scratches possibly making it look the way it does…
Old 13 November 2021, 02:40 AM   #4
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I hope Nick...I am waiting for others to chime in, but there are some red flags on this watch.
Old 13 November 2021, 02:56 AM   #5
Nickbrownartwork
Banned

What are they if you dont mind me asking?
Old 13 November 2021, 04:12 AM   #6
1675-David
"TRF" Member

If you remove the bracelet you will find the serial number and the model number between the lugs, share the first 4 digits of the serial number and someone will date the watch for you, share the model number too, the more info the better.!I know nothing about ladies Rolex but there are those here who know a great deal..
Old 13 November 2021, 05:42 AM   #7
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
If you remove the bracelet you will find the serial number and the model number between the lugs, share the first 4 digits of the serial number and someone will date the watch for you, share the model number too, the more info the better! I know nothing about ladies Rolex but there are those here who know a great deal..
This.

Here's what the numbers should look like with the bracelet removed. Having the model (reference) number and the first four digits of the serial number will help a lot in determining what you've got and how old it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model Nmbr med.JPG (78.4 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Serial Nmbr med.JPG (78.0 KB, 201 views)
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Old 13 November 2021, 06:35 AM   #8
Nickbrownartwork
Banned

Thank you for all your help so far, how do I remove the bracelet? Is it something I can do myself?
Old 13 November 2021, 08:49 AM   #9
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Does bot look good to me at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 November 2021, 09:05 AM   #10
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickbrownartwork View Post
Thank you for all your help so far, how do I remove the bracelet? Is it something I can do myself?
Try Google Nick.
Old 13 November 2021, 10:11 AM   #11
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Toothpick into the holes at the end of the lugs
Old 13 November 2021, 06:32 PM   #12
Nickbrownartwork
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
Does bot look good to me at all

What do you mean?
Old 13 November 2021, 06:33 PM   #13
Nickbrownartwork
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
Try Google Nick.
I did but there’s all different answers for all different models and I’m not sure which is the right one.
Old 13 November 2021, 06:34 PM   #14
Nickbrownartwork
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknow View Post
Toothpick into the holes at the end of the lugs
There are no holes at the end of the lugs…
Old 13 November 2021, 06:34 PM   #15
Nickbrownartwork
Banned

Old 13 November 2021, 06:37 PM   #16
Nickbrownartwork
Banned

This is how the back looks…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C9B4D28E-C092-41EA-A69D-2C220072C246.jpeg (227.2 KB, 156 views)
Old 13 November 2021, 11:14 PM   #17
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
What do you mean?
Usually nobody will point out the wrongs not to educate the wrong people.
David who replied is one of the real experts here. If he says it is no good than that is a fact
Old 14 November 2021, 02:48 AM   #18
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Look at this thing objectively and you can very easily figure it out. Look at the dial, does this look like the quality that Rolex is known for? What about the crown that’s sideways and half falling off?

Google pictures of a similar model and look at something small like a dial indicator, then look at yours.

Old 14 November 2021, 04:15 AM   #19
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is how the back looks…
If you are asking how to remove the bracelet, you just need a standard spring-bar tool like the one linked below. As suggested above, I expect there are a gazillion YouTube videos demonstrating the technique.

https://www.amazon.com/Package-Berge...72FRJ92R&psc=1
Old 14 November 2021, 06:11 AM   #20
Nickbrownartwork
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Usually nobody will point out the wrongs not to educate the wrong people.
David who replied is one of the real experts here. If he says it is no good than that is a fact
I came here politely looking for help for something I know very little about, there’s no need to be so hostile. I’m not denying it may not be genuine, I have no idea. Either way it has sentimental value to me and I just wanted to find out what year it might be from if it is genuine…
Old 14 November 2021, 06:11 AM   #21
Nickbrownartwork
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
If you are asking how to remove the bracelet, you just need a standard spring-bar tool like the one linked below. As suggested above, I expect there are a gazillion YouTube videos demonstrating the technique.

https://www.amazon.com/Package-Berge...72FRJ92R&psc=1
Thank you for your help, it’s much appreciated
Old 14 November 2021, 06:14 AM   #22
Nickbrownartwork
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Look at this thing objectively and you can very easily figure it out. Look at the dial, does this look like the quality that Rolex is known for? What about the crown that’s sideways and half falling off?

Google pictures of a similar model and look at something small like a dial indicator, then look at yours.

The photo is very low quality and the dial obviously doesn’t look this bad quality in real life. I’m not a complete idiot so I don’t appreciate being spoken to like one. That being said my knowledge of Rolex is very limited which is why I came here to seek the help of people who know a lot more than me. The crown is not half falling off at all, it’s just the angle of the photo. I’ll try and take some better photos and drop them in when I can if that will help.
Old 14 November 2021, 06:22 AM   #23
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
I came here politely looking for help for something I know very little about, there’s no need to be so hostile. I’m not denying it may not be genuine, I have no idea. Either way it has sentimental value to me and I just wanted to find out what year it might be from if it is genuine…
Nick, his comment wasn’t hostile at all. His point is, people on here are reluctant to point out things wrong/fake with a watch so that the “wrong people” (ie. counterfeiters) won’t gain more knowledge on how to make fakes. Whether that’s a big concern isn’t the point. He was just explaining why folk here are reluctant to discuss this. And his commendation of David’s expertise was simply a case of asking you to trust some of the experts here…who know a hell of a lot.
I promise there was no hostility in anything he said. Trust me, I’ve seen plenty of ACTUAL hostile comments on here!
I would just add…and I say this with respect and kindness…relax and understand that this is a forum. A lot of nuance gets lost in the written word, but no one is attacking you.
Old 14 November 2021, 07:22 AM   #24
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Please help identifying watch production year/details

Quote:
The photo is very low quality and the dial obviously doesn’t look this bad quality in real life. I’m not a complete idiot so I don’t appreciate being spoken to like one. That being said my knowledge of Rolex is very limited which is why I came here to seek the help of people who know a lot more than me. The crown is not half falling off at all, it’s just the angle of the photo. I’ll try and take some better photos and drop them in when I can if that will help.

Why would it obviously not look that bad in real life? I would hardly call that attacking you. The pictures are also not nearly as bad as we typically see.

Old 14 November 2021, 08:37 AM   #25
Nickbrownartwork
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Why would it obviously not look that bad in real life? I would hardly call that attacking you. The pictures are also not nearly as bad as we typically see.

At no point did I use the words “attacking me” i just felt you were being a little bit harsh and unkind in your response. Either way thanks for spending the time to chip in to the conversation.
Old 14 November 2021, 08:43 AM   #26
Nickbrownartwork
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Nick, his comment wasn’t hostile at all. His point is, people on here are reluctant to point out things wrong/fake with a watch so that the “wrong people” (ie. counterfeiters) won’t gain more knowledge on how to make fakes. Whether that’s a big concern isn’t the point. He was just explaining why folk here are reluctant to discuss this. And his commendation of David’s expertise was simply a case of asking you to trust some of the experts here…who know a hell of a lot.
I promise there was no hostility in anything he said. Trust me, I’ve seen plenty of ACTUAL hostile comments on here!
I would just add…and I say this with respect and kindness…relax and understand that this is a forum. A lot of nuance gets lost in the written word, but no one is attacking you.
Fair enough, I misunderstood the first part of his comment and took it for something it wasn’t. It’s just this is really hard to get to the bottom of without spending a lot of money and I don’t have the money to spend unfortunately. If people on here believe it may not be genuine then that’s fair enough, I wasn’t aware that they don’t tend to write publicly why that might be, but I still believe there is a good chance it is and that the photos might be making it look worse than it is…
Old 14 November 2021, 09:08 AM   #27
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Fair enough, I misunderstood the first part of his comment and took it for something it wasn’t. It’s just this is really hard to get to the bottom of without spending a lot of money and I don’t have the money to spend unfortunately. If people on here believe it may not be genuine then that’s fair enough, I wasn’t aware that they don’t tend to write publicly why that might be, but I still believe there is a good chance it is and that the photos might be making it look worse than it is…

If that’s the case, post better photos. Of everything. Focused close up shots, including the first 4 of the serial # and the model number. There is some incredible eyes that frequent this forum and for their free verification the least you can do is be polite and post pictures that would justify a valid assessment.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
Old 14 November 2021, 07:28 PM   #28
Nickbrownartwork
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
If that’s the case, post better photos. Of everything. Focused close up shots, including the first 4 of the serial # and the model number. There is some incredible eyes that frequent this forum and for their free verification the least you can do is be polite and post pictures that would justify a valid assessment.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
I’ve been nothing but polite since the first message I’ve posted. It has nothing to do with politeness, I’m struggling to get photos that are any better using the camera on my phone, I’m not choosing to take poor quality photos obviously.
Old 14 November 2021, 07:36 PM   #29
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Im no expert, but based on the age of this watch I feel a bit like that’s a bit of a red flag itself with some of the other details that don’t look quite right.
Old 14 November 2021, 09:51 PM   #30
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
I’ve been nothing but polite since the first message I’ve posted. It has nothing to do with politeness, I’m struggling to get photos that are any better using the camera on my phone, I’m not choosing to take poor quality photos obviously.
You repeatedly berated and spoke down to Members who were offering advice and trying to help. Go and try somewhere else.