The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 September 2020, 05:38 PM   #1
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

F.P Journe Resonance Exhibition

So, it will start in 30 mins. Red carpet and everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rockdrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 07:30 PM   #2
SDDS
"TRF" Member

Looking forward

Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 07:41 PM   #3
igibliss
"TRF" Member

Nice enjoy and post some photos!
igibliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 08:55 PM   #4
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by igibliss View Post
nice enjoy and post some photos!

+1
Old 4 September 2020, 09:23 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice. Follow up and let us know how it goes.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 09:51 PM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

This thread need LOTS of pics :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 11:14 PM   #7
eiesh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
This thread need LOTS of pics :)

+1

eiesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 06:34 AM   #8
Raemondo
"TRF" Member

More pictures please !!!
Old 6 September 2020, 11:30 PM   #9
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

PART I

(Note: I am not an FPJ expert, just a big fan of the brand). Thanks for taking the time in reading this experience. I am definitely not one to write very long reviews on watches. However, this was definitely one of those experiences that really shaped me as a collector.

Let’s back track a little bit. Some of you may look at some of my previous posts and see that I love Rolex and recently got into Patek. Still love the brands. However, I started to have some really big hassles with Rolex ADs and since I move countries a lot, maintaining a good relationship with ADs is very tough. Three years ago, after getting quotes for three years+ for a SkyDweller, I moved on to “independents” (the indies).

I heard of FPJourne but did not know anything about him. Boom! I was struck with the Resonance. I researched everything I could on it - heard Tim Mosso talk about them, reviewed and rewound his videos, listened to Pierre Halimi, listened to FP Journe interviews and these big time collectors talk about him, Shani, Osama, and others. I fell in love with the scientific haute horologie from the brand. Note that during this time of research, I was in Africa with a hobby that does not lend itself to share with others. I had NEVER seen a FP Journe and let alone a Resonance.

2019 came along and the Fourth Edition of the Ref RT - with the 24 hour dial, I bought it in platinum. I had wanted the rose gold combination but by the time I got the guts to get it, all were sold out. I got lucky with the last one in Miami. I bought it early Jan 2020 after a collector ended up getting the new Tourbillion. Mind you, I had never put a Journe on my wrist but trusted in the brand and was head over heels over the Resonance. This was a journey to say the least. I told myself that this purchase is for me - no investment, no sells, just for the pure love of watches. I came thinking that I would likely lose 50% front the MSRP and I was ok with it and still would be. This watch would be the watch to accompany me in my travels and my further experience in other brands. This watch is a watch to keep.

Due to COVID, I was evacuated out of Africa and after months pursuing a new location, I worked aggressively to move to Geneva. Yes, watches taking a big priority to change locations but also to be in a beautiful, relatively safe country for my family. I planned to take receipt of my Resonance in Geneva. However, COVID had a lot to say about that. After numerous quarantines, flights, apartments - I landed in Geneva and this is where we start the story.

As life would have it, FP Journe had an Exhibition on the Resonance a week after my two week required quarantine was over. Lucky! I was over the moon. I took a day off work, kids in school, and made a day event with my wife.

The Manfacture building was old and charming. A security guard greeted us after crossing the red carpet and asked for our names. All I could see coming up the stairs was this clock. AMAZING!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 6 September 2020, 11:41 PM   #10
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

More on decor.

Old 7 September 2020, 12:03 AM   #11
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

PART II

The decor was everything you see in pictures. Old books, history of horology, Christie’s auction books by year, a beautiful globe reminding me of the age of exploration. Exploration not only of lands, languages, spices but his haute horology. The air was a little musty (possible from books) and also relatively dry. I am assuming this is for the overall production of watches and the maintenance of the library. “Bonjour”, I hear this 6+ foot lady in small green skirt greet us. Great smile. She probably could see we were “foreign” and started to speak with us in a perfect American accent. She was so pleasant, took our bags, and told us to wait for a presenter. Wow, a presenter? I assumed that this was going to be something where you just look at the watches and leave.

Shortly after we were met by the International PR Manager. What?? Really? I was a bit shocked. She was an exceptional lady, highly professional and passionate about her work and the brand. I had tunnel vision! All I could do was focus on her until she took me to the first Resonance EVER! Yes, the first.

She mentioned FPJ found this in his drawers and only took this piece out for the exhibition and most likely will go back to the vault. I probably stared at this piece for a good solid 7 minutes. Notice the initial thought of FPJ’s case. The top of the watch does not appear to have lugs and the winding crown is large.

Not an expert but noticed the famous three Ns in Resonance on the dial. Also noticed the power reserve with a steel label, and of course Montres on the dial. Also oddly enough the power reserve looks backwards but probably it is me not understanding something.

This was the first Resonance my eyes got to meet: the first Resonance. This was shaping to be a perfect introduction.

Old 7 September 2020, 12:22 AM   #12
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

PART III

The PR Manager keeps explaining to me the further evolution of the Resonance. She showed me the early brass movements at 38 mm. Quite frankly, those 38 mm looked bigger than what I expected. I kept thinking these were going to be really small perhaps looking more like a 36mm dress watch. The dials were incredible. I know many of you have already seen these. These take so many different variations in color due to oxidation and dial manufacturer. So charming. I really loved the yellow dial and I really hope FPJ thinks about bringing these back to us in the new Resonance as a special edition. And wait, what was up with those Regency dials! Holy cow! That is definitely one of my old time favorite dials on the Resonance.

Then we hit the 40mm - wow! That is a perfect size watch. Knowing that I owned a Resonance (still yet to see it) at 40mm made me think it was just perfect size for me.

Stunning…

More pics.

Old 7 September 2020, 12:24 AM   #13
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

From FPJ owned collection. This is a bi-metal (rose gold and platinum). Gorgeous piece and soon to be going back into the vault.

Old 7 September 2020, 12:39 AM   #14
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

F.P Journe Resonance Exhibition

PART IV

Perfect to be finishing the Part IV as this was the episode I got to meet the 2019 Fourth Series Ref RT. We were close to 45 mins into the presentation and both of us were excited to be engaging. I could see the new Resonance on my eye peripherals and but kept telling myself not to look over and stay focus. She presented the third variation which I liked a lot. I know it gets a little of hate due to the “parking meter” look but it is unique and one that ran for a long time.

But, then to the far right and closest to the new Resonance was my Resonance. It was in the same color combination as mine - platinum. It was everything I thought it would be. I love it more.

Why the connection with the Fourth Series?

She mentioned that FPJ wanted to close the chapter with a special edition. Already that statement has a lot of wait. To make it special, FPJ included blue colors on the dial numbers. The one other time he did that was with the steel 38mm combo series. On my take, I love that it feels so much like a transitional watch into the new dial. Almost like getting the collector community to get a sneak preview of the upcoming watch. For example: You have that open space dials - one 12 hour and the other 24 hour like the new Astronomic and of course the new Resonance. I also adore that the seconds dial has numbering at at 10, 20, 40 and 50. I believe it was never done before. To me, it also appeared to me the most legible of all the Resonance.

And this closed the chapter.

Old 7 September 2020, 09:23 AM   #15
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Thanks for sharing, OP. Thoroughly enjoyed your narrative as well as the excellent pictures.
Old 7 September 2020, 10:18 AM   #16
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Really cool story...thanks for taking the time to do it.
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 12:33 PM   #17
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
Great post! Now, isn’t there an incoming somewhere in there too??
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 12:51 PM   #18
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Beautiful pictures and fantastic information. Thank you for sharing.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 02:06 PM   #19
Raemondo
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing! Great story
Old 7 September 2020, 07:41 PM   #20
shafran
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
PART I

(Note: I am not an FPJ expert, just a big fan of the brand). Thanks for taking the time in reading this experience. I am definitely not one to write very long reviews on watches. However, this was definitely one of those experiences that really shaped me as a collector.

Let’s back track a little bit. Some of you may look at some of my previous posts and see that I love Rolex and recently got into Patek. Still love the brands. However, I started to have some really big hassles with Rolex ADs and since I move countries a lot, maintaining a good relationship with ADs is very tough. Three years ago, after getting quotes for three years+ for a SkyDweller, I moved on to “independents” (the indies).

I heard of FPJourne but did not know anything about him. Boom! I was struck with the Resonance. I researched everything I could on it - heard Tim Mosso talk about them, reviewed and rewound his videos, listened to Pierre Halimi, listened to FP Journe interviews and these big time collectors talk about him, Shani, Osama, and others. I fell in love with the scientific haute horologie from the brand. Note that during this time of research, I was in Africa with a hobby that does not lend itself to share with others. I had NEVER seen a FP Journe and let alone a Resonance.

2019 came along and the Fourth Edition of the Ref RT - with the 24 hour dial, I bought it in platinum. I had wanted the rose gold combination but by the time I got the guts to get it, all were sold out. I got lucky with the last one in Miami. I bought it early Jan 2020 after a collector ended up getting the new Tourbillion. Mind you, I had never put a Journe on my wrist but trusted in the brand and was head over heels over the Resonance. This was a journey to say the least. I told myself that this purchase is for me - no investment, no sells, just for the pure love of watches. I came thinking that I would likely lose 50% front the MSRP and I was ok with it and still would be. This watch would be the watch to accompany me in my travels and my further experience in other brands. This watch is a watch to keep.

Due to COVID, I was evacuated out of Africa and after months pursuing a new location, I worked aggressively to move to Geneva. Yes, watches taking a big priority to change locations but also to be in a beautiful, relatively safe country for my family. I planned to take receipt of my Resonance in Geneva. However, COVID had a lot to say about that. After numerous quarantines, flights, apartments - I landed in Geneva and this is where we start the story.

As life would have it, FP Journe had an Exhibition on the Resonance a week after my two week required quarantine was over. Lucky! I was over the moon. I took a day off work, kids in school, and made a day event with my wife.

The Manfacture building was old and charming. A security guard greeted us after crossing the red carpet and asked for our names. All I could see coming up the stairs was this clock. AMAZING!

And a picture of your new resonance?
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 10:41 PM   #21
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Fantastic post thanks for taking the time to share with us.
Old 7 September 2020, 10:44 PM   #22
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

This is a great post. Amazing watches.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 11:21 PM   #23
igibliss
"TRF" Member

Great read thank you op
igibliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 04:16 AM   #24
AuspiciousCat
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing OP! Truly enjoyed the pictures and the write up ������
AuspiciousCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 07:04 AM   #25
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

thx for the words and pics. Love the Grandfather clock.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 08:09 AM   #26
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Phenomenal thread, writing , and pics . I own 2 journes and am kicking myself for not getting a resonance when I first had interest in FPJ. Thanks OP for a great read , and congrats on your new watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 10:46 AM   #27
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for sharing, the event and your passion. So when does your Resonance find itself on your wrist?
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 11:30 PM   #28
b0rderman
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the write up. I suddenly feel the need to drive down to Miami!
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 11:38 PM   #29
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Best post in ages for me. Loved it!
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 04:50 AM   #30
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

CONCLUSION as of September 8, 2020

Friends, it appears that I really needed a conclusion to the story and I can’t believe I did not upload pictures of the new Resonance. That’s a sin!

It is true. I am yet to receive my Resonance. It is still stuck in the US. Please note that this has nothing to do with the FPJ staff who have been outstanding. Our grand plan back in February was for me to take receipt of the watch in Geneva. I was daydreaming of a factory tour, monthly cocktails with collectors, FPJ events, and checking out the Geneva boutique.

Back to the story. This Fourth Series Resonance truly resonated with me. My wife who shares and supports this “hobby” was also enamored with the watch. She kept telling me it looked so unique in comparison to all the other watches that keep a consistent look and feel. Actually, I never thought about it that way since I tend to break down all the minor details and perhaps not look at the watch in an outside perspective. The size, again, with the size. It really looks perfect to me. The dial looked matted with a little shimmer given the sunlight in the room. It stood proudly next to the new Resonance.

The NEW

Ok. This could probably be another thread all together. The New Resonance watches stood alone on its own window display. Larger, thicker, broader - a more mature brother of the Resonance. You can clearly see the evolution on the watch. I certainly do agree with the line taking this shape as it appears that FPJ keeps searching and searching for perfection in time.

At first site, the combined dial strikes you. Two circles combined together with the open work center. The second sub dials having the 10-20-30-40-50-60 markers like the CB and the 2019 edition. The 12-24 hour dials to seem more symmetrical than the 2019 version probably due to the outer seconds ring which takes a lot of real estate on the dial but at this rate the watch seems like it can afford it. I really like the power reserve complication much more on this edition - most definitely symmetrical. I was drooling over the rose/rose combination again. The PR Manager tells me that FP Journe continues to drive to strive for perfection. She mentions that this piece is already backlogged two years. I believe it too. It is a masterpiece to think that FPJ not only took to entire line of the Resonance and the Optimum and combined them. It is spectacular. The movement in rose gold is lovely. My wife turns to me and says, “That is adorable!”. I had no idea what she was referring to. She said, “Look at the movement, it looks like a butterfly. It has a Butterfly Effect!” It was great to ponder on the effects of time, non-linear, that results in more complex problem like the Remontoirs d’Egalite. She was right. Check it out. It does resemble a butterfly - well.. maybe if you squint.

The presenter than said, “Wait here.” She went inside the factory to get the International Sales Manager and explained my situation (lack of Resonance). He looked perplexed at first trying to wonder what the heck was I doing there and why have I not picked up my Resonance since January. After a back and forth in French, he wanted to see what was my motive now. I told him that I’d love to get the Resonance in Geneva and would love to make it a special occasion. While deep inside, I can’t wait to wear the watch, I still feel that the experience with all the wonderful folks at the factory are making the piece all the more special. At this rate, there is no point to rush the experience. He politely bows and tells me he will do whatever he can to make it happen.

The PR Manager is just wonderful. We exchanged business cards and she tells me that she will send an invite to get me to the monthly Tuesday meetings. She talks about some of the great personalities there which I can’t wait to meet.

The next day, the PR Manager sends me a lovely email inviting me to a future event in two weeks and the same day the International Sales Manager tells me that he will work with Miami on a Geneva delivery.

Now, these wonderful relationships and experiences is what independence is all about and the reason for moving towards this small niche. I am super honored, lucky to own this watch and grateful to share this experience with all of you.

TRUST ME: I will keep all of you updated on when delivery is expected. Wish me luck.

Now for some pics.

And then my wife and I sit down at a cafe around the corner from the factory to talk about my experience. She definitely knows how to keep me happy and she said that I looked like a kid at a candy store. On this day, I definitely felt like a kid full of enthusiasm.