The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 September 2020, 12:49 AM   #1
Rolexfax33
"TRF" Member

Truedome D19 crack

Hi everyone,

I know I started another thread about these but it seems like the convo turned into an epic debate...so I'm starting another because....

I barely wear my 1680 (w/ the truedomeD19) and it mostly stays in a watchcase winder. I've maybe worn the watch about 5 times since having the new crystal installed.

Wearing it today and noticed a tiny fracture at the 50 bezel marker, right at the edge of the dome. I'd take a pic but it's very hard to see.

Has anyone experienced this with the Truedome? Given the location of the crack, I'm assuming it's a stress fracture.

Given the crack is tiny (~1mm), should I replace it to avoid moisture damage or can I wait a bit?
Rolexfax33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 01:18 AM   #2
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
That's very concerning if it's truly a crack. I was strongly considering trying a TrueDome on my watches, but now I'm hesitant.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 01:19 AM   #3
dricig
"TRF" Member

This is one of the pitfalls of installing aftermarket parts.
I would opt for the Rolex service part and sleep easy.
You don't want to chance moisture damage on a nice vintage.
dricig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 01:35 AM   #4
bmb15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexfax33 View Post
Wearing it today and noticed a tiny fracture at the 50 bezel marker, right at the edge of the dome. I'd take a pic but it's very hard to see.

Given the crack is tiny (~1mm), should I replace it to avoid moisture damage or can I wait a bit?
That's not good news, sorry for you to hear that.

A 1 mm crack is not small. Does the crack penetrate from outside to inside, i.e. towards the dial? Please try and share some photos. I would get that changed rapidly. Good luck.
bmb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 01:40 AM   #5
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinl View Post
That's very concerning if it's truly a crack. I was strongly considering trying a TrueDome on my watches, but now I'm hesitant.
Why? Did they guarantee their product is unbreakable?

This could happen with an original Rolex crystal or theirs. Contact them because I'm sure they would love to know what happened + feedback and improve their product (if that is even possible).
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 01:49 AM   #6
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post

This could happen with an original Rolex crystal or theirs. Contact them because I'm sure they would love to know what happened + feedback and improve their product (if that is even possible).
This is a pretty common problem with these crystals.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 02:16 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Obviously this could compromise water resistance, but only a pressure test will tell.
Old 18 September 2020, 02:19 AM   #8
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Have you reached out to the people at TrueDome? I would expect them to make it right. Cracking could be anything from production issue to fitting when mounting the crystal.
Old 18 September 2020, 02:23 AM   #9
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post

A newly installed crystal with no identified impact? Of course I would have apprehension given the potential risk to my vintage pieces.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 02:25 AM   #10
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

oy. not good. please update on how they handle the issue. I've have a vintage crystal crack after install. The perils of being an early adopter
NOPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 04:08 AM   #11
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Hello TRF! As one of the owners of TrueDome, I would like chime in and address the subject. Firstly, a small crack, or any crack for that matter, is not okay and should be addressed sooner than later.

Two important factors that impact the performance of any crystal is 1) How they are mounted and 2) The condition of the midcase and rehaut of the watch it is mounted on. Vintage subs often have variations in rehaut conditions. While these factors are out of our control we work as hard as we can in R&D to make sure that the materials, measurements, and product manufacturing are as best as possible to assure that these crystals perform reliably across all subs. For example, our measuring tolerances are two hundredths of a millimeter where industry standard on acrylic crystal manufacturing is five hundredths. Nevertheless, issues with individual examples can arise.

It seems like this crack formed not from a sustained impact, but rather on its own. We would like to address this and are happy to take care of this issue. We can send you a fully insured label to send either the watch or the crystal (ideally both together) so that we can do a thorough exam.

The feedback of the vintage Rolex community is very important to us. As vintage Rolex enthusiasts ourselves, we are constantly working to improve the quality and consistency of our crystals.

To the OP feel free to email us at truedomeacrylic@gmail.com. We will be happy to assist.

Best,

Greg
Co-Founder, TrueDome LLC

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 04:26 AM   #12
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
Hello TRF! As one of the owners of TrueDome, I would like chime in and address the subject. Firstly, a small crack, or any crack for that matter, is not okay and should be addressed sooner than later.

Two important factors that impact the performance of any crystal is 1) How they are mounted and 2) The condition of the midcase and rehaut of the watch it is mounted on. Vintage subs often have variations in rehaut conditions. While these factors are out of our control we work as hard as we can in R&D to make sure that the materials, measurements, and product manufacturing are as best as possible to assure that these crystals perform reliably across all subs. For example, our measuring tolerances are two hundredths of a millimeter where industry standard on acrylic crystal manufacturing is five hundredths. Nevertheless, issues with individual examples can arise.

It seems like this crack formed not from a sustained impact, but rather on its own. We would like to address this and are happy to take care of this issue. We can send you a fully insured label to send either the watch or the crystal (ideally both together) so that we can do a thorough exam.

The feedback of the vintage Rolex community is very important to us. As vintage Rolex enthusiasts ourselves, we are constantly working to improve the quality and consistency of our crystals.

To the OP feel free to email us at truedomeacrylic@gmail.com. We will be happy to assist.

Best,

Greg
Co-Founder, TrueDome LLC

swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 05:12 AM   #13
Pocosso
"TRF" Member

Watch: RO/ROO/PAM/DAYTONA
Quote:

Best,

Greg
Co-Founder, TrueDome LLC
+This is a great Customer Support! I can't wait they release the domed crystal for 1675.
I will definetly buy one.
ROO(Ti)-RO-ROC
PAN0055-PAM351-PAM733-PAM721
Type XX-XXI
Pocosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 06:11 AM   #14
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Best,

Greg
Co-Founder, TrueDome LLC

Seems to me to be the best customer service response one could hope for. Take care of the problem for the client and do some R&D to see where issue arose and if any improvements can be made.
NOPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 06:22 AM   #15
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It's really nice that Greg participated in the thread. And honestly, it's a great opportunity for TrueDome to demonstrate their commitment to excellence.
Old 18 September 2020, 06:48 AM   #16
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

I've got a TrueDome I installed on my 5513 when they launched and it's been working great since then
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 07:54 AM   #17
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
It's really nice that Greg participated in the thread. And honestly, it's a great opportunity for TrueDome to demonstrate their commitment to excellence.
This. The guys behind this crystal project are an asset to the community.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 08:58 AM   #18
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
The moment I've let Greg Petronzi know that my ordered D19 was a no show another one was immediately sent via FedEx.

2 days later I had it in Europe.
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 09:26 AM   #19
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Great stuff! I was able to source my own OEM Tropic crystals from a watchmaker here on TRF, who pressure tested the crystals for me (thanks Phillip Ridley!). However, if I had the option of the TrueDome for the T19, T39 or T38, I would have seriously considered them. Good to see Greg chiming in and trying to make this right for the TRF members who are passionate about vintage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
This. The guys behind this crystal project are an asset to the community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipćo View Post
The moment I've let Greg Petronzi know that my ordered D19 was a no show another one was immediately sent via FedEx.

2 days later I had it in Europe.
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 04:19 AM   #20
athom
"TRF" Member

I've always been happy with those from Michael Young http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/english/shop

Just sayin'...
Old 19 September 2020, 05:16 AM   #21
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athom View Post
I've always been happy with those from Michael Young http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/english/shop

Just sayin'...
I have one from him and it's ok, but there is definitely optical distortion around the periphery. Very noticeable.
Old 20 September 2020, 07:59 AM   #22
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athom View Post

Just sayin'...

Long history of those cracking and failing. Be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 04:47 PM   #23
suligeo
2024 Pledge Member

Good service but that’s what I expect.
These crystals are not cheap but look good.

For many years now I changed almost all my watches the crystals without cyclope.

The aftermarket crystals often have cracks on the edge, after installing they got stressed and brake.

https://www.instagram.com/vintage_georgex/
suligeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 07:59 PM   #24
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedialdoc View Post
Long history of those cracking and failing. Be careful.

Thanks Did you have so many bad experiences with those ?
Old 21 September 2020, 08:42 AM   #25
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

I haven't personally had a Truedome yet. It's not a cheap item.

On AM crystals the general issue is...the OD is too large...installing the bezel retainer ring often causes stress because of this...and stretches the bezel retainer...which then has an impact on the fitting of the bezel itself and the rotating feature.

I'm sure as much detail as the T-dome folks have gone to this is not the case but that is one of the reasons that generic AM crystals fail..they aren't spec'd right in the first place.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 08:43 AM   #26
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

I would add excellent Customer Service Response!
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 09:33 AM   #27
Rolexfax33
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the late reply everyone....took a while to find my macro lens to get a good shot.

I reached out to Greg as well!

Old 23 September 2020, 02:08 AM   #28
Rolexfax33
"TRF" Member

Update: Greg at Truedome took care of it ...gotta say it's been a pleasure to deal with him. Great customer service by guys who take what they do seriously!

Old 23 September 2020, 06:06 AM   #29
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Told ya so...
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:59 PM   #30
gman5515
"TRF" Member

I've installed 4 D19 true domes, and none of them have had any issues. In fact, my local watchmaker who's very experienced, told me these are the best AM domes so far he's seen, and the fit is tight but perfect on all 4 subs i've installed them on.