ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 September 2020, 04:40 AM   #1
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
GMT Fuchsia Inserts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEZEL-INSER...item48ce9d38ce

Hey Guys:

-For those of us who can't afford $2000 for a vintage Fuchsia Insert, I found these on the net...$80 bucks for an after-market piece...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (86.3 KB, 349 views)
Old 26 September 2020, 04:48 AM   #2
1675-David
"TRF" Member

1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 06:21 AM   #3
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Trash....if you can’t afford fuchsia why not a nice faded Pepsi insert?
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 07:41 AM   #4
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Trash....if you can’t afford fuchsia why not a nice faded Pepsi insert?
Exactly. Why are we promoting fake Rolex products?
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 08:27 AM   #5
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Why???
btinl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 09:58 AM   #6
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBaker3 View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEZEL-INSER...item48ce9d38ce

Hey Guys:

-For those of us who can't afford $2000 for a vintage Fuchsia Insert, I found these on the net...$80 bucks for an after-market piece...

If anyone has an acceptable original fuschia for $2k please DM me!

Agree, no bueno on this replica.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 12:42 PM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Exactly. Why are we promoting fake Rolex products?
Is it "fake" or aftermarket. It looks real, I can see it. Maybe it is "non Rolex" aftermarket. Of course that makes it a non original Rolex part so the proper terminology would be aftermarket part.

I know what some of you are thinking but, let's identify these parts correctly. They are not trademarked or branded by Rolex therefore they are not "fake." But, individuals can call them whatever they like, I'm just pointing out what they are so "don't shoot the messenger."

Also, didn't I just see a nice thread here about True Dome non Rolex crystals being promoted for vintage Submariners ????????????

It seems that many collectors enjoy and use these crystals, especially due to the lesser prices when compared to much more expensive Rolex crystals. Am I missing something?

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 01:00 PM   #8
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't buy that.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 01:34 PM   #9
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Not a fan. Would rather pay the money and buy OEM Rolex bezel inserts for my vintage Rolex. It’s like putting a cheap plastic wing that looks like carbon fibre on a 991 GT3 Touring.
Old 26 September 2020, 01:44 PM   #10
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Is it "fake" or aftermarket. It looks real, I can see it. Maybe it is "non Rolex" aftermarket. Of course that makes it a non original Rolex part so the proper terminology would be aftermarket part.

I know what some of you are thinking but, let's identify these parts correctly. They are not trademarked or branded by Rolex therefore they are not "fake." But, individuals can call them whatever they like, I'm just pointing out what they are so "don't shoot the messenger."

Also, didn't I just see a nice thread here about True Dome non Rolex crystals being promoted for vintage Submariners ????????????

It seems that many collectors enjoy and use these crystals, especially due to the lesser prices when compared to much more expensive Rolex crystals. Am I missing something?

Well, arguably a crystal is a part that eventually MUST or at least SHOULD be replaced for the health of the watch, therefore is more disposable than an insert. Used crystals range from 'reluctantly acceptable' to 'completely unacceptable, whereas inserts increase in value as they visibly age/fade/patina.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 03:00 PM   #11
Gmt21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1665
Also I'd like to buy an authentic Fuchsia insert in mint condition for 2K!:)
Gmt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 06:03 PM   #12
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:

The main reason to get a TrueDome is to get a waterproof superdome crystal. The second thing is that most crystals that are sold expensively today as authentic superdomes are fake. Each to their own though regarding buying them. It’s just an option if you want the superdome look and still need a waterproof crystal.

Promoting fake inserts is just odd. They add no positive feature and it is not nearly as hard to point out a fake insert as it is pointing out a fake crystal from photos.

Apples and oranges imho. But I agree in some ways. Original superdome crytals are more fun despite the fact they rarely seal good enough to keep humidity out. Something which is quite important when you have watches worth a lot of money. Kind of heart breaking when your perfect gilt sub suddenly turns average due to humidity entering the watch. Not only does it kill its beauty; it also halves the value.
Old 26 September 2020, 06:51 PM   #13
rrod
"TRF" Member

No está bien, IMO. Wouldn’t bring me joy for sure. Though it’d be cool if there was a way to turn a regular OG pepsi into fuchsia chemically. I’d be down 100%
rrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 07:19 PM   #14
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrod View Post
No está bien, IMO. Wouldn’t bring me joy for sure. Though it’d be cool if there was a way to turn a regular OG pepsi into fuchsia chemically. I’d be down 100%
Fuchsia isn’t really a fade to begin with. They were just more pinkish and purple in the late 60’s around 1968. It’s clear when looking at catalogue pics of that era mk1 matte dialed gmts.

Old 27 September 2020, 01:25 AM   #15
cajuntiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
back in the good ole days you could buy an entire watch for about the same amount of money as these inserts sell for today :) I bought this years ago with her original 68 bezel for a very reasonable sum because the bezel was "damaged". The seller wanted to replace it before selling it to me...fortunately I talked him out of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1010642sm2.jpg (120.5 KB, 199 views)

@heuerautavia
cajuntiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 01:52 AM   #16
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:

100 percent agree. You either embrace total originality (or at least period correctness), or you don't. Not sure I understand the concept of "this aftermarket part is OK, but this one isn't." It's more about a philosophy than practicality, because a crystal is obviously more important for the safety of a watch than an insert. Still, that doesn't change the facts.

Either way, I just wouldn't put ANY after-market parts on my vintage watches, whether it's a crystal, crown, insert, dial, hands (including color-matching), etc .... Heck, I was bothered for years simply by the service bezel on my 6263, so I shelled out a ton of money for an NOS original. Did it really matter? Well, psychologically, yes it did.

However, I also have no problem with anyone doing whatever they want on their own watches. It's a hobby, so do what makes you happy. It's all good.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 03:53 AM   #17
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
The main reason to get a TrueDome is to get a waterproof superdome crystal. The second thing is that most crystals that are sold expensively today as authentic superdomes are fake. Each to their own though regarding buying them. It’s just an option if you want the superdome look and still need a waterproof crystal.

Promoting fake inserts is just odd. They add no positive feature and it is not nearly as hard to point out a fake insert as it is pointing out a fake crystal from photos.

Apples and oranges imho. But I agree in some ways. Original superdome crytals are more fun despite the fact they rarely seal good enough to keep humidity out. Something which is quite important when you have watches worth a lot of money. Kind of heart breaking when your perfect gilt sub suddenly turns average due to humidity entering the watch. Not only does it kill its beauty; it also halves the value.
=====================

I have no problem whatsoever with someone using true domes or any other aftermarket crystal. It's the owner's prerogative to use whatever is within their budget or discretion. If I had to guess, there are more aftermarket crystals and bezels on vintage and classic Rolex than genuine. Talk to any watchmaker and he'll tell you the same thing. Personally, and for those that know me, my GMTs have genuine inserts.

Below is a typical conversation between customers and watchmakers that occur every day. Both my watchmakers have had the conversation detailed below many times. You can also substitute the word crystal for bezel insert which is often found in the same type of conversations between watchmakers and customers.

Customer:
Ah, Mr. watchmaker, how much is a new Rolex bezel insert for my GMT?

Watchmaker:
$300

Customer:
Wow. Do you have anything else less expensive?

Watchmaker:
Yes, I have these aftermarket ones for $30.

Customer:
Great - what's the difference between the genuine and aftermarket bezel insert?

Watchmaker:
Not much different at all but the price. Check them out and see if you can tell any difference.

Customer:
Hmmm. I can't really tell any difference. So, I can spend $300 on an insert from Rolex or $30 on an aftermarket insert. Well,, for me. it's a no brainer. Give me the $30 insert...and thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 27 September 2020, 03:55 AM   #18
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmt21 View Post
Also I'd like to buy an authentic Fuchsia insert in mint condition for 2K!:)
Yes, I saw that too. Mint fuchsias are bringing up to $6,000 now. Super fat fonts are bringing even more.

Old 27 September 2020, 09:33 AM   #19
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Customer:
Hmmm. I can't really tell any difference. So, I can spend $300 on an insert from Rolex or $30 on an aftermarket insert. Well,, for me. it's a no brainer. Give me the $30 insert...and thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice - you've illustrated the situation well here.

That's a conversation with a newbie, though. By definition we're reading this stuff because we're not newbies.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote