The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 September 2017, 01:42 AM   #61
Renovar
"TRF" Member

fwiw i am servicing my 16700 with an independent large outfit with Rolex account and was similar... $1080 total with 600 basic and 75 for hands, i also had to replace crystal and a couple other bits. What's surprising is that I was told I cant decline hand change (i want to keep it due to them being tritium) but they will refuse to service unless it's done. Also was told the hands cant be returned to me due to "Rolex policy"... In the end I really think we are all just temporary custodians of these things, and big boys over in Geneva will eventually call the shots.
Renovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 01:44 AM   #62
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
go with an independent in this instance and say what you want in writing.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 04:34 AM   #63
JohnyKwst
"TRF" Member

With Rolex also limiting the supply of parts, independents will become less and less of an option. Owners are being forced to service a certain way or throw away the watch. We are being handcuffed. With everyone eventually having to service their watch, that certainly sounds like extortion to me.
JohnyKwst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 06:46 AM   #64
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
go with an independent in this instance and say what you want in writing.
In what instance? What are you talking about? His watch is on its way back from Dallas RSC.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 11:25 AM   #65
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
In what instance? What are you talking about? His watch is on its way back from Dallas RSC.
i'm drunk.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 12:20 PM   #66
mtgjr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
i'm drunk.
Right on! I'm riding out a monster hurricane.
Old 11 September 2017, 12:51 PM   #67
bob93713
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
Right on! I'm riding out a monster hurricane.
hell ya!
bob93713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 03:06 AM   #68
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Update:

It's not my watch on it's way back. Phew!!! And it's not a bonus Platona. Boo!!

This is an unrelated package coming from Dallas. I jumped the gun and panicked. My son (same name as me) ordered something online and chose FedEx shipping. FedEx has my name and info on account so the tracking came to my email. I called the RSC Dallas today and they confirmed this mystery package is not from them. In fact, Rolex doesn't ship via FedEx, preferring instead to use the USPS/Registered Mail.

Had this been my Pepsi coming back prematurely, I was prepared to find an independent watchmaker somewhere in my area and simply skip the RSC. I go back and forth on whether or not I should have gone with an indy in the first place, but what the heck. As long as I'm on track to get everything done I'm good.

Crisis averted, and what a coinkidink.
Old 12 September 2017, 03:38 AM   #69
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
Update:

This is an unrelated package coming from Dallas. I jumped the gun and panicked. My son (same name as me) ordered something online and chose FedEx shipping. FedEx has my name and info on account so the tracking came to my email. I called the RSC Dallas today and they confirmed this mystery package is not from them. In fact, Rolex doesn't ship via FedEx, preferring instead to use the USPS/Registered Mail.

Had this been my Pepsi coming back prematurely, I was prepared to find an independent watchmaker somewhere in my area and simply skip the RSC. I go back and forth on whether or not I should have gone with an indy in the first place, but what the heck. As long as I'm on track to get everything done I'm good.

Personally, I would go with RSC. My Mother-In-Law had a Rolex Datejust that she could never get working right, probably because she was cheap and kept taking it to local jewelers to fix it. My wife has the watch now but she won't wear it because it is too small. We should probably send it to Rolex and see what it would take to make it good as new again.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 03:52 AM   #70
mtgjr
Banned

Old 12 September 2017, 03:52 AM   #71
mtgjr
Banned

Quote:
Update:

Wow
Old 17 September 2017, 08:35 AM   #72
ras47
"TRF" Member

Ballpark Estimate for Service

And the wait continues. No updates, just a longing deep in my soul to have my GMT strapped on my wrist once again. I'm avoiding all the WRUW posts out of petty jealousy. :)

I've been wearing my Speedmaster daily, and I do love it. But it's so much bigger and bulkier than my GMT Master II. So I've been on the Omega Forums (I gotta do what I gotta do to feed my WIS addiction) and I've noticed a huge difference in the overall tone. It's less social over there. Not bad, but more serious save for a few posters who are true cards.
Old 14 October 2017, 04:56 AM   #73
ras47
"TRF" Member

Finally!!! Got an email from Rolex USA (RUSA) with a pdf attached, listing my info and my bill. Called the number on the bill, gave them a credit card, and am now awaiting tracking info for the return of my BLRO. While my wallet is $1500 lighter, I rest easy knowing I will have a pristine watch to serve me for another 20 years.

Service: $700
New dial: $500

That's the bulk of it. New hands, a handful of other replacements, and shipping make up the rest of it.
Old 14 October 2017, 05:32 AM   #74
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Finally!!! Got an email from Rolex USA (RUSA) with a pdf attached, listing my info and my bill. Called the number on the bill, gave them a credit card, and am now awaiting tracking info for the return of my BLRO. While my wallet is $1500 lighter, I rest easy knowing I will have a pristine watch to serve me for another 20 years.

Service: $700
New dial: $500

That's the bulk of it. New hands, a handful of other replacements, and shipping make up the rest of it.
Thanks for the update.

Given I just picked up a 16710 last week, although the shop selling it to me is giving me a year worth of in-house warranty, I feel more comfortable either going with my own local guy here or debating sending it to RSC for peace of mind that parts will indeed be Rolex original. So this thread has all of a sudden found a much bigger importance for me.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 04:55 AM   #75
ras47
"TRF" Member

Tracking number received from Rolex! After 7 weeks and $1500, my 16710 BLRO is headed back home. Should be another week or so for transit and she’ll be back on my wrist, right where she belongs!
Old 19 October 2017, 07:04 AM   #76
ras47
"TRF" Member

Update: USPS says delivery by this Friday.
Old 19 October 2017, 08:23 AM   #77
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Please use the Cannon camera for pics this time, I´d love to see the serviced watch.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 08:56 AM   #78
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Grats! I recently dropped my 16710 m serial off at RSC NY. Cost $920 , it was ready in 3 weeks. They did a fantastic job on my favorite watch.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 11:34 PM   #79
mtgjr
Banned

Thought we'd have pics by now.
Old 22 October 2017, 04:42 AM   #80
pyrostick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
This has been a great read so far, interesting to see what the RSC will make you replace sometimes. Thanks for the updates, and can't wait to see the picture!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
pyrostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 10:30 PM   #81
ras47
"TRF" Member

Text Alert from USPS: delivery delayed until Monday by 8:00 PM.

Not surprising. Previously they said the package was in route from Texas with delivery expected two days later. Not realistic. So I’m still in a holding pattern. It’s turned into quite the little saga.
Old 25 October 2017, 12:34 AM   #82
ras47
"TRF" Member

Why, oh why, does a first class outfit like Rolex use a third rate (at best!) delivery service like the USPS???

First, USPS predicted Friday. Didn't happen and it was not surprising.
Monday (yesterday) was their next prediction and it seemed realistic. Nope.
Tuesday (today) is now the expected delivery date, by 8:00 PM. When has the USPS ever delivered after regular hours?? Post Office workers are home long before 8:00 PM. So why even list that time as a cutoff? Why not just say "by midnight"?

I know all the delivery services use predictive algorithms to estimate deliveries. I have some experience with algorithms, particularly nascent ones. And I can tell you that the USPS algorithms SUCK. Truth be told, I don't even believe their algorithms are made out of computer code. More likely they're bad fakes and made from Lego. And these tossers don't even have the blue Lego pieces! How can you make even a FAKE algorithm with just the red and white Legos?? Incompetence and indifference - what a combination!
Old 25 October 2017, 01:51 AM   #83
psychokandy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Crown.Rose.Shield
i know exactly how it feels now. so near yet so far. pls share with us the photo of after service. in the meantime relax and enjoy a cup of coffee or beer. :)
psychokandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 01:54 AM   #84
Pte6000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT & a Jubilee
Quote:
Why, oh why, does a first class outfit like Rolex use a third rate (at best!) delivery service like the USPS???
I've worked in Logistics my whole life, and that is a great question.

Why ruin the whole "experience" with sh*tty last mile service.

I can't imagine that FEDEX and UPS haven't both shot a few volleys ROLEX's Way trying to become the "Official Carrier of Rolex"
Pte6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 02:52 AM   #85
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:

First, USPS predicted Friday. Didn't happen and it was not surprising.
Monday (yesterday) was their next prediction and it seemed realistic. Nope.
Tuesday (today) is now the expected delivery date, by 8:00 PM. When has the USPS ever delivered after regular hours?? Post Office workers are home long before 8:00 PM. So why even list that time as a cutoff? Why not just say "by midnight"?

I know all the delivery services use predictive algorithms to estimate deliveries. I have some experience with algorithms, particularly nascent ones. And I can tell you that the USPS algorithms SUCK. Truth be told, I don't even believe their algorithms are made out of computer code. More likely they're bad fakes and made from Lego. And these tossers don't even have the blue Lego pieces! How can you make even a FAKE algorithm with just the red and white Legos?? Incompetence and indifference - what a combination!

Be a bit more patient, don't let a shitty delivery experience take away from joy of having your beauty back to like new condition. In a few weeks, a few hours or days of delay won't matter.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 05:18 AM   #86
ras47
"TRF" Member

Ballpark Estimate for Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Be a bit more patient, don't let a shitty delivery experience take away from joy of having your beauty back to like new condition. In a few weeks, a few hours or days of delay won't matter.

Quite true. Eyes on the big picture. But does the USPS need to tease me like this? Our mailman is a great guy. But his (dis)organization blows.
Old 27 October 2017, 03:19 AM   #87
ras47
"TRF" Member

It's back!! My BLRO is on my wrist once again, where it belongs. RSC-Dallas did an amazing job too. Looks like it just rolled out of the factory in 2000 and I'm thrilled with the results.

Another word on the USPS. Does ANYbody at the post office have a clue?? Delivery on Monday failed. I was home all day but they said no one was here to sign for the package. Bullspit. Naturally, our regular mail carrier is away this week so we have a substitute. So it was automatically re-scheduled for Tuesday. The mail arrived but no package. The online tracking info stopped updating at Monday. So where's the package? The post office misfiled it in a cabinet for other types of packages, so they lost track of the watch in mid-process of delivery. It never made it to the truck on Tuesday and somehow everyone simply forgot about it. I went to the post office this morning and claimed it in person, but only after 15 minutes of employees searching for it. Nobody wants to hear, "It's just not here. And it's not in the system." Hey, if you're going to lose something, lose my reorder of Nespresso coffee pods. But not my Rolex! When the postal worker at the desk asked me what it was and I said it was a Rolex watch she looked like she was about to wet herself. They had the package and (allegedly) tried to deliver it so everyone knew the last known location was their post office. This one was totally on them. Eventually she found it in the wrong storage cabinet, and who knows how long it would have sat there. I filled out the survey card that came with the watch and mentioned that the USPS was a joke and that Rolex should use professionals like FedEx.

The GMT looks even smaller than I remember, probably because I've been wearing a 44mm Omega Speedmaster for 5 weeks straight.But again, the GMT face is highly legible and the bracelet melds so perfectly with the watch head that it looks proper even on my 7 3/4" wrist.

Pictures to follow...
Old 27 October 2017, 03:37 AM   #88
ras47
"TRF" Member

Before/After
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1before.jpg (151.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 1after.jpg (230.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 2before.jpg (162.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 2after.jpg (208.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 3before.jpg (129.5 KB, 61 views)
Old 27 October 2017, 03:38 AM   #89
ras47
"TRF" Member

More...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3after.jpg (184.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 4before.jpg (129.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 4after.jpg (217.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 5before.jpg (112.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 5after.jpg (200.8 KB, 61 views)
Old 27 October 2017, 03:41 AM   #90
ras47
"TRF" Member

...and a few more before/after:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6before.jpg (114.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 6after.jpg (239.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 7before.jpg (104.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 7after.jpg (241.6 KB, 61 views)