The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 March 2018, 12:16 AM   #1891
mgd55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
Agreed and black and white make great pair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice! Thinking of maybe throwing a jubilee on one too...first things first though gotta get the polar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mgd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 11:14 PM   #1892
RichardF
"TRF" Member

The Explorer II is my favorite for travel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Explorer II Pyramid 6.jpg (255.0 KB, 701 views)
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 12:55 AM   #1893
mgd55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
The Explorer II is my favorite for travel.
Beautiful shot, beautiful watch! Just ordered a polar to go with my black 16570 and can't wait to wear both to awesome places like that! Enjoy good sir!
Old 8 April 2018, 01:34 AM   #1894
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd55 View Post
Beautiful shot, beautiful watch! Just ordered a polar to go with my black 16570 and can't wait to wear both to awesome places like that! Enjoy good sir!
Thanks, enjoy yours !
Old 8 April 2018, 05:38 AM   #1895
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice! Thinking of maybe throwing a jubilee on one too...first things first though gotta get the polar

Highly recommend the polar. Beautiful white dial and make great pair with white Daytona

Old 8 April 2018, 05:43 AM   #1896
mgd55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Highly recommend the polar. Beautiful white dial and make great pair with white Daytona

Funny timing—just ordered a polar this morning and was just looking at your posts about the jubilee bracelet on the 16570 a few minutes ago! A Daytona is a few years down the road...this forum is full of too many great, albeit very expensive, ideas :)

Old 8 April 2018, 06:00 AM   #1897
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Funny timing—just ordered a polar this morning and was just looking at your posts about the jubilee bracelet on the 16570 a few minutes ago! A Daytona is a few years down the road...this forum is full of too many great, albeit very expensive, ideas :)

Big Congrats and you can’t go wrong with polar. The jubilee bracelet works very well on explorer in my opinion. Must try this combo.

Old 8 April 2018, 06:08 AM   #1898
mgd55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Big Congrats and you can’t go wrong with polar. The jubilee bracelet works very well on explorer in my opinion. Must try this combo.

Really does look great—thanks for the motivation on both the Daytona pairing and the jubilee—cheers

Old 8 April 2018, 01:10 PM   #1899
Johnmdall
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know why the hour markers on the 42MM black dial and 42MM polar dial are different? If you look closely side by side you will see the outline from the lume is different sizes.
Johnmdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 04:34 AM   #1900
dannyp
Banned

I was thinking a little more about this and have another theory that may or may not have anything to do with its traditionally lower desirability; it's not a watch anyone ever needed. They say it was designed for spelunkers, but I cannot figure out what specific "need" it was responding to.

The Sub, SD and GMT all represented true innovations in watchmaking, needed in order to allow certain tasks to be completed by divers, pilots and world travelers. They were watches you needed. The Exp. I wasn't exactly that, but did have a similar association (Everest).

But not the Explorer II, which feels to me as though it was designed first, with its purpose "assigned" retroactively.

When the GMT II was released, but prior to discontinuation of the GMT, Rolex essentially offered a dual and triple timezone version of the same watch, since only one had an independent 12hr hand. Rather than visually identical watches with different movements, perhaps there should have been a "fixed-bezel" version with two zones (the Exp. II) and a triple zone version (the GMT II).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 04:37 AM   #1901
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmdall View Post
Does anyone know why the hour markers on the 42MM black dial and 42MM polar dial are different? If you look closely side by side you will see the outline from the lume is different sizes.
If I was to guess, I would guess that the white gold hour markers are the same, but since the paint on the outside of the markers on the white dial takes up some space, there's slightly less room for lume in the middle.
Old 9 April 2018, 05:10 AM   #1902
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I was thinking a little more about this and have another theory that may or may not have anything to do with its traditionally lower desirability; it's not a watch anyone ever needed. They say it was designed for spelunkers, but I cannot figure out what specific "need" it was responding to.

The Sub, SD and GMT all represented true innovations in watchmaking, needed in order to allow certain tasks to be completed by divers, pilots and world travelers. They were watches you needed. The Exp. I wasn't exactly that, but did have a similar association (Everest).

But not the Explorer II, which feels to me as though it was designed first, with its purpose "assigned" retroactively.

When the GMT II was released, but prior to discontinuation of the GMT, Rolex essentially offered a dual and triple timezone version of the same watch, since only one had an independent 12hr hand. Rather than visually identical watches with different movements, perhaps there should have been a "fixed-bezel" version with two zones (the Exp. II) and a triple zone version (the GMT II).

Well said. I also think that since the EXii doesn't really have the signature Rolex 'look' that it is a turn off for some as well. I had one for about 6 weeks and ended up trading it for a Sub. Figured out that I was/am more of a diver watch fan at heart.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 05:10 AM   #1903
rgwarden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post

This is interesting to me, as it hits upon precisely why I flipped a GMT II (the beloved BLNR) for the black 16570. I found that I was effectively never turning the bezel, and the talk of three time zones seemed like overkill (it’s just my opinion, don’t shoot me)
It also explains why the GMT Master (the later 16700s) are the GMTs I’m most interested in.
But I still (I know, I’m nuts) prefer the explorer II because I really like the 3185 with separate hour jumping.

rgwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 05:14 AM   #1904
bonatto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwarden View Post
This is interesting to me, as it hits upon precisely why I flipped a GMT II (the beloved BLNR) for the black 16570. I found that I was effectively never turning the bezel, and the talk of three time zones seemed like overkill (it’s just my opinion, don’t shoot me)
It also explains why the GMT Master (the later 16700s) are the GMTs I’m most interested in.
But I still (I know, I’m nuts) prefer the explorer II because I really like the 3185 with separate hour jumping.

Agreed. The jumping hour hand is masively useful. I have family living a few timezones away, enough to make for sometimes inconvenient contact times. 24h hand is set to 'family time's and hour and minute set to wherever I am. Since I also TZ hop on occasion, it's easy to just jump forwards or backwards as necessary. Same for DST. Like yourself, my GMT II's bezel was seldom touched. I can see it being useful for a banker in London dealing with Middle East and Asia simultaneously.
bonatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 05:15 AM   #1905
rgwarden
"TRF" Member

Also -to give you all a laugh - I’ve just been on holiday, and when I’m on a beach I prefer to wear my explorer II on a rubber B. At the hotel breakfast I’m obviously looking out for gents or indeed ladies wearing decent watches, and I spotted an oyster bracelet on a guy a few tables away. The closer I got the more I thought ‘wow that’s a great looking watch, clearly not a sub, in fact none of the ceramics, is it a Daytona? No looks like a brushed steel bezel oh, it’s a black 16570, just like mine.
Only the second I’ve ever seen in the wild. Looked great. Then I remembered I have one on my wrist....

Old 9 April 2018, 05:16 AM   #1906
mgd55
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Honestly small percentage need a third time zone and the Exp II is better suited to most. But I’m fine with keeping it under the radar, don’t need a bunch of fanboys on it

Old 9 April 2018, 05:25 AM   #1907
mgd55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also -to give you all a laugh - I’ve just been on holiday, and when I’m on a beach I prefer to wear my explorer II on a rubber B. At the hotel breakfast I’m obviously looking out for gents or indeed ladies wearing decent watches, and I spotted an oyster bracelet on a guy a few tables away. The closer I got the more I thought ‘wow that’s a great looking watch, clearly not a sub, in fact none of the ceramics, is it a Daytona? No looks like a brushed steel bezel oh, it’s a black 16570, just like mine.
Only the second I’ve ever seen in the wild. Looked great. Then I remembered I have one on my wrist....

Next level under the radar lol

Old 9 April 2018, 05:40 AM   #1908
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

Agree on my love of the jumping hour (and the cool, but reasonably useless, aside of being the only two watches on which the date can be set backwards). I think the third time zone was incidental, as Rolex wanted to keep the same rotating bezel even after developing the independent 12hr hand.

It still looks very “Rolex” to me, because of the unmistakable case shape and bracelet, but I see what you mean. However, I do believe that if the watch had been associated with any truely groundbreaking innovation its look would be as recognized as its color-bezel brethren.
Old 9 April 2018, 06:09 AM   #1909
dannyp
Banned

Actually, come to think of it, I wonder if this is perhaps why the Daytona was initially so unsuccessful. Sure, the bezel markings were intended specifically for race car drivers, but this was hardly a true game changing innovation on the level of the Sub's water resistance, the SD's gas escape valve or the GMT's second timezone. Race car driving, while exhilarating, is also not on the same level of exploration/discovery as diving, mountain climbing or traveling.
Old 9 April 2018, 06:28 AM   #1910
rgwarden
"TRF" Member

I’ve got a strange aversion to Daytonas. They ‘look’ absolutely fantastic, but the idea of a complication I would never use, or more correctly, one of the sub dials effectively never turning (does it count hours?) just prevents me wanting one on my wrist. If I did, I’d want the chronograph forever turning! I wonder how many Daytona users do just that, to know that the sub dials are actually turning. I’d be forever worried about them seizing up through never turning.

Old 9 April 2018, 07:39 AM   #1911
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nice pair !
Old 9 April 2018, 08:00 AM   #1912
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

The Explorer II will likely be the first Rolex that gets a GID bezel.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 09:30 AM   #1913
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
What’s GID?
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 09:36 AM   #1914
puckbw11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
What’s GID?

Glow in dark?

puckbw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 09:51 AM   #1915
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
The Explorer II Enigma

Trully an under the radar watch, specially on black. On Oyster band again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 09:54 AM   #1916
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
Fixed and lumed ceramic bezel? That would be a hot watch.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 10:17 AM   #1917
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

But why do you need a GID bezel????????
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 10:45 AM   #1918
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Why wouldn't you want a GID bezel :)
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 10:59 AM   #1919
bonatto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrissteve11 View Post
Why wouldn't you want a GID bezel :)
No thanks, pelagos reports of chipped away luminous?
bonatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 11:45 AM   #1920
firstOwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 20th Moon, ND Sub.
The Explorer II wore and looked smaller than all the other 40mm Rolex Sport models. The slope down and the not catchy serrated edge bezel made it under radar as well.

White Dial is considered RARE in my Rolex Sport model watches!

Go POLAR
both M serials , 3186 movements .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AF1EE54A-513D-4D31-BCDD-13EADF4578C8.jpeg (123.9 KB, 918 views)
firstOwatch is offline   Reply With Quote