The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 July 2017, 06:03 AM   #1
montecarlo77
"TRF" Member

Icon20 White Gold Pepsi 116719BLRO Price Plunge

I am seeing brand new versions of these being offered for $24k by dealers on Ebay and I see used ones being offered at $20k to $23k. This model is not even that old and considering the MSRP is about $38k there is a huge amount of depreciation and dealer discounting going on. My question is where do you guys think this watch will bottom out????

Other precious metal Rolexes are holding their value much better on the used market (like the day date President) and the new Daytona is selling for a premium as even a used watch. Why do you think this Pepsi model has plunged so much in value and has it hit rock bottom yet? Is the Batman just such a great design for about $9k brand new (with better colors and a more durable SS band) that the WG Pepsi makes no sense? If Rolex introduced a stainless steel version of the Pepsi, I think it will depreciate further. I feel like this is a failed model for Rolex and perhaps they will discontinue it and come out with a stainless steel Pepsi.
montecarlo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 06:17 AM   #2
116500LN
Banned

I mean, if that self-reasoning lets you sleep at night, more power to you!
116500LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 06:26 AM   #3
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
I am in the market as well...

The one on Ebay for $24,000 and $24850 are the same store (Rascals Jewelers here in FL). I was interested in this one (lowest priced new I could find). They emailed me a couple videos and there are a couple scratches even though it is fully stickered. They are shallow scratches be easily seen. I almost drove 3 hours to get it... Glad I demanded pics/video.

I am with you though, trying to buy smart, but if they advertise new, there shouldn't be scratches... May as well look for good condition preowned $20-$21K (little tough to find unless you haggle). That is my current mindset, to find one $21K or less that is in good condition with warranty card, box, etc. It think at that pricepoint, you'll (and I'll) be fine.
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 07:19 AM   #4
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo77 View Post
Is the Batman just such a great design for about $9k brand new (with better colors and a more durable SS band) that the WG Pepsi makes no sense? If Rolex introduced a stainless steel version of the Pepsi, I think it will depreciate further. I feel like this is a failed model for Rolex and perhaps they will discontinue it and come out with a stainless steel Pepsi.
Wow, that's really insightful analysis and a great prediction. I'll be looking for the new stainless Pepsi at Basel '18.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 07:24 AM   #5
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

The sharp number pre-owned is under 23K...

They do trade well at that #...as do the Smurf sub..
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 07:41 AM   #6
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
White Gold Pepsi 116719BLRO Price Plunge

I have a friend selling his BLRO and moving to BLNR. He is just adjusting his collection parameter to stainless steel Rolex, that's about it.

The BLNR is still a watch that is difficult to source. I guess that may have contributed to the BLRO being shunned upon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 07:47 AM   #7
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
People don't like the color of the bezel even if it is homage to the first gmt

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 07:57 AM   #8
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
People don't like the color of the bezel even if it is homage to the first gmt

They don't? I think it's gorgeous. Even more so than the ones before it.

Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 08:33 AM   #9
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Low 20s is the price for any nice PM watch...

The WG weight is great, but I agree I don't love the bezel colors.
s14roller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 08:43 AM   #10
q8rolex
"TRF" Member

the pepsi color on the blro is amazing in my opinion.
q8rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 08:55 AM   #11
montecarlo77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
Wow, that's really insightful analysis and a great prediction. I'll be looking for the new stainless Pepsi at Basel '18.
Your sarcasm is silly Bobernet....I was just trying to spark some conversation with some intelligent people who could post constructive thoughts here, unfortunately you and "16500LN" are not adding anything constructive to the conversation, but I appreciate ALL the others here who have made constructive and educational insights here!
Old 2 July 2017, 09:05 AM   #12
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I've been watching those prices too. Not sure where the bottom is...

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 09:21 AM   #13
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
You are new so I will cut you some slack, but it is well known that PM models depreciate dramatically. This is not specific to the BLRO.

Quote:
I am seeing brand new versions of these being offered for $24k by dealers on Ebay and I see used ones being offered at $20k to $23k. This model is not even that old and considering the MSRP is about $38k there is a huge amount of depreciation and dealer discounting going on. My question is where do you guys think this watch will bottom out????

Other precious metal Rolexes are holding their value much better on the used market (like the day date President) and the new Daytona is selling for a premium as even a used watch. Why do you think this Pepsi model has plunged so much in value and has it hit rock bottom yet? Is the Batman just such a great design for about $9k brand new (with better colors and a more durable SS band) that the WG Pepsi makes no sense? If Rolex introduced a stainless steel version of the Pepsi, I think it will depreciate further. I feel like this is a failed model for Rolex and perhaps they will discontinue it and come out with a stainless steel Pepsi.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 09:28 AM   #14
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
Only if you paid MSRP and didn't do your research first.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 09:55 AM   #15
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
They don't? I think it's gorgeous. Even more so than the ones before it.

It's subjective I agree. But if it were a hot seller the price would hold better and one of the gripes is the bezel color. I think people gravitate toward other wg models first as well.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 09:58 AM   #16
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
It's subjective I agree. But if it were a hot seller the price would hold better and one of the gripes is the bezel color. I think people gravitate toward other wg models first as well.

It is subjective I agree. I didn't think PM Rolex in general were quick sellers, hence the willingness of ADs to offer discounts on them. I'll bet the Smurf sells better than most, but other than that, are there any PM Rolex that people put in higher demand?

Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 10:01 AM   #17
Flstfirider
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
WG tends to depreciate a bit more than YG. A good example is the used prices of WG Daytonas vs YG.
Flstfirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 10:59 AM   #18
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Your sarcasm is silly Bobernet....I was just trying to spark some conversation with some intelligent people who could post constructive thoughts here, unfortunately you and "16500LN" are not adding anything constructive to the conversation, but I appreciate ALL the others here who have made constructive and educational insights here!
Gold and platinum Rolexes (of all varieties) regularly sell at a 20% - 30% discount from MSRP.

PM Rolexes regularly depreciate more (as a percentage) after the initial sale than popular stainless steel models.

The BLRO's discounted new pricing and typical used pricing is in line with other comparable PM models (Day-Date, white and yellow gold Submariners, PM Daytonas, etc).

There's nothing special about the depreciation of the BLRO. Nothing to see here...
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 11:30 AM   #19
montecarlo77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
You are new so I will cut you some slack, but it is well known that PM models depreciate dramatically. This is not specific to the BLRO.
Locutus: I am newer here (not that this is even relevant) but I am not new to Rolex, I have been wearing them for over 20 years. Yes, we all know PM models depreciate but you are wrong because specifically the BLRO is worth almost half of it's $38k MSRP price within just about 3 years!!! By comparison a PM day date that has an MSRP of of about $37k are still commanding asking prices of around $30k.....
Old 2 July 2017, 11:55 AM   #20
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Quote:
Locutus: I am newer here (not that this is even relevant) but I am not new to Rolex, I have been wearing them for over 20 years. Yes, we all know PM models depreciate but you are wrong because specifically the BLRO is worth almost half of it's $38k MSRP price within just about 3 years!!! By comparison a PM day date that has an MSRP of of about $37k are still commanding asking prices of around $30k.....
Your numbers are off just a bit -

228239 MSRP $37,550 - and you can find them $23,250 or less (but I guess you could pay $30K if you wanted too)

Like we have said PM or just WG have a major hit of about the same BLRO or DD 40
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 11:57 AM   #21
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
Only if you paid MSRP and didn't do your research first.
Disagree here. I got nice discount off list, still lost a ton on flip. I'd say I did my research and had attractive AD pricing. They aren't selling any lower than 28 or so. Bnib / Ad.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 12:00 PM   #22
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

All Rolex pm models depreciate at relatively the same rate. A quick browse of the FS forum is all you need to find this out . WG, YG, RG, Plat etc take pretty much the same hit off new and then as each model ages they continue to slide...
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 12:34 PM   #23
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
The watch needs to be worn to be appreciated. To me that is the allure of the combination. It feels actually amazing on the wrist and is something that any SS sport model simply could not replicate.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 12:44 PM   #24
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
The watch needs to be worn to be appreciated. To me that is the allure of the combination. It feels actually amazing on the wrist and is something that any SS sport model simply could not replicate.
well said my friend
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 12:45 PM   #25
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
I don't think the prices are any different than the white gold Submariner, and I'm going to continue believing that until you produce some actual for sale listings showing meaningfully different prices, like for like, from reputable sellers who I actually know (or at least know people who have done deals with).

Some random ebay listing doesn't mean much.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 01:04 PM   #26
DatejustKing
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
I don't think the prices are any different than the white gold Submariner, and I'm going to continue believing that until you produce some actual for sale listings showing meaningfully different prices, like for like, from reputable sellers who I actually know (or at least know people who have done deals with).

Some random ebay listing doesn't mean much.

Very true,

White gold sub depreciates to around 17K, I actually called Bobs watches they said they'll give 18K for the BLRO. So they both lose a ton of value.

What I still don't get it why my 116655 is worth 17k when the MSRP is 24K and change. Meaning it holds its value much more then the other gold pieces.

DatejustKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 01:08 PM   #27
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatejustKing View Post
Very true,

White gold sub depreciates to around 17K, I actually called Bobs watches they said they'll give 18K for the BLRO. So they both lose a ton of value.

What I still don't get it why my 116655 is worth 17k when the MSRP is 24K and change. Meaning it holds its value much more then the other gold pieces.

Bobs is not a good measure of value. They are notorious for lowball offers and of course they have to turn around and make a profit on the piece. Their business model is buy low and sell high, as it should be. I suspect a TS on here will still give you 20-21K for excellent condition.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 01:10 PM   #28
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
^^^ It's the only RG diver style watch. It's also the only diver style watch with the rubber strap. It's a very timely and "on trend" watch with a lot of unique desirable features. It's essentially a RG sub with a really cool matte ceramic bezel insert.

That's a very nice choice.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 01:11 PM   #29
DatejustKing
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
^^^ It's the only RG diver style watch. It's also the only diver style watch with the rubber strap. It's a very timely and "on trend" watch with a lot of unique desirable features. It's essentially a RG sub with a really cool matte ceramic bezel insert.

That's a very nice choice.

Thank you!

Old 2 July 2017, 01:11 PM   #30
DatejustKing
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
Bobs is not a good measure of value. They are notorious for lowball offers and of course they have to turn around and make a profit on the piece. Their business model is buy low and sell high, as it should be. I suspect a TS on here will still give you 20-21K for excellent condition.

Good to know.