The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 18 October 2017, 10:12 PM   #1
malb85
"TRF" Member

People noticing you're wearing an AP

I'm sure this has been posted many times before, so apologies in advance!

How often do people notice you've got an AP on? I assume those of you working in banking/finance have it happen more regularly, but I've only ever had one person comment on mine and the first question was 'is that a fake'
malb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 10:21 PM   #2
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by malb85 View Post
I'm sure this has been posted many times before, so apologies in advance!

How often do people notice you've got an AP on? I assume those of you working in banking/finance have it happen more regularly, but I've only ever had one person comment on mine and the first question was 'is that a fake'
One of the best parts about wearing in AP in my circle is that nobody knows what they are. I like that. Especially when it comes to my clients.

Now I’m sure I run into people in the wild who are WIS that know but do say anything.

I bet it’s a different situation if you work for Chase Bank in your offices in New York City. I remember being in a nice restaurant in New York over the summer and I noticed plenty of APs as well as Cartier and Pateks being worn. So I think it completely depends on where you are.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 10:25 PM   #3
malb85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
One of the best parts about wearing in AP in my circle is that nobody knows what they are. I like that. Especially when it comes to my clients.

Now I’m sure I run into people in the wild who are WIS that know but do say anything.

I bet it’s a different situation if you work for Chase Bank in your offices in New York City. I remember being in a nice restaurant in New York over the summer and I noticed plenty of APs as well as Cartier and Pateks being worn. So I think it completely depends on where you are.
Yeah, I totally agree. With the SS models on rubber straps especially, people assume it's a $100 watch which I love
Old 18 October 2017, 10:37 PM   #4
Beleedat
"TRF" Member

All depends on where you are. I get a lot of questions when I am on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beleedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 10:58 PM   #5
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I never have anyone notice or comment on any of my watches period AP, Patek or Rolex. Most could care less I am sure. Now here on the forum that’s a different story!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 11:01 PM   #6
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I never have anyone notice or comment on any of my watches period AP, Patek or Rolex. Most could care less I am sure. Now here on the forum that’s a different story!
Exactly.

Instagram - patton250
Old 18 October 2017, 11:08 PM   #7
malb85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
With some of the pics I've seen of your collection that's pretty surprising! I'd probably stand drooling over the gold RO for at least half an hour
Old 18 October 2017, 11:58 PM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I might and I stress might get one comment on my watches from a stranger every 2 years. I've only had one stranger comment on an AP. It was a 15400.
Old 19 October 2017, 12:26 AM   #9
tng11
"TRF" Member

I've had a comment on my JT a few times, as well as the Jumbo from random strangers. Typically they were all other WISes.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 12:33 AM   #10
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Almost never and thats what I like about them. I can wear any of my APs around clients, friends, family, etc. and they dont even notice.

Usually when someone does notice they say "nice watch...what kind is it?" and I say Audemars Piguet and they just have a confused look. Although I was in a 1st meeting with the CEO and CFO of a company we are trying to forge a strategic relationship with and the CEO looks a my watch and says "is that an Audemars Piguet" slightly butchering the name. He's into watches but had never seen one in person. He also races porsche GT3s and GT4s and I used to race offroad cars so the conversation really helped kick off the meeting.

I think APs fly under the radar but for those that know the brand they really appreciate it.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 12:39 AM   #11
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I was in a meeting with the director of finance for my division for North America (also my boss), the director of financial reporting for North America, and the North America CFO discussing internal audit remediation plan. I was going over the various controls being implemented when the CFO just stops the meeting and asks is that a Royal Oak I'm wearing. We then spend the next 10-15 minutes discussing watches since he wears an Omega Speedmaster and my boss wears an IWC Portuguese.

Now every once in awhile the CFO makes a comment jokingly saying that I'm making too much since I drive a C63 S AMG and wear a RO. I always tell him don't have kids and you could be doing living large also.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 12:45 AM   #12
solrac6262
2024 Pledge Member

a guy asked me if it was a Hublot lol
solrac6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 12:55 AM   #13
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26420RO
I had a valet in a parking garage compliment my Yachtmaster, which is funny because it is a fairly obscure and not very flashy watch.
Superburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 01:53 AM   #14
NRD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Funny how people spot my rolex watches, but dont know about my AP's. I like that. The few times i got a comment is the question if its a Hublot :-/
NRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 01:58 AM   #15
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I got some positive remarks about my RG44 on a few occasions and that's about it. I did get quite a lot of "stares" at my RG Skeleton, esp after fitting it with a bracelet. This actually has the opposite effect of making me wear it less.
Old 19 October 2017, 02:14 AM   #16
malb85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I got some positive remarks about my RG44 on a few occasions and that's about it. I did get quite a lot of "stares" at my RG Skeleton, esp after fitting it with a bracelet. This actually has the opposite effect of making me wear it less.
Yeah, I get that. I get more people staring at my DayDate than anything else I own, and it's getting to the point where I'm starting to considering moving it on because of that.
Old 19 October 2017, 02:49 AM   #17
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I was in a bar in London yesterday handing over my Rolex D-Blue to a chap who'd bought it. The waiter spotted it and was most impressed - more so than in my RG44, which didn't get a second glance!
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 02:50 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
No, never got a comment but many ADs who don't hold AP are interested in my APs. But maybe a very few WIS do notice and say nothing. I was on the Tube a few weeks ago and saw an Italian guy wearing a Buemi I think, he was chatting away happily with a couple of others so I let them be.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 02:54 AM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Were you wearing it in october? If not, maybe its because of the offseason wearing of a halloween watch and people were being overly judgmental. Its kind of like wearing white after labor day when the summer is over.

If it was me i would stare too though, as its just so unique looking. I guarantee though they didn't know what they just saw.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 02:54 AM   #20
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Quote:
Same story. Not once has anyone said "Nice watch", "Is that a *Blank", My DD is pretty flashy and still not one word.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 02:59 AM   #21
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
No, never got a comment but many ADs who don't hold AP are interested in my APs. But maybe a very few WIS do notice and say nothing. I was on the Tube a few weeks ago and saw an Italian guy wearing a Buemi I think, he was chatting away happily with a couple of others so I let them be.
i was in houston once trying on a Rolex. It was an explorer II or something or maybe it was a Panerai i can't really remember. What i do remember is the salesman looked at my watch before i left and when giving me his card he told me to give him a call when i was ready to "upgrade". He had no clue. It was at the US equivalent of the UK's WoS, a large chain AD.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 03:10 AM   #22
ndrenfro
"TRF" Member

My experience is the same as the OP. Only once has anyone ever said anything to me about my AP. And he said, “Is that a real Jumbo?” Oh wait, the other day a lady at a doc office said “nice watch” to me when I had the Jumbo on. So that’s twice in 3 years.
ndrenfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 03:40 AM   #23
dayusmc
"TRF" Member

I only ever get a comment when I am wearing my Rolex, never with any other watch. Seems like everyone spots a Rolex and thinks "Rolex is the most expensive" but most people don't have a clue. Unless you hang out in crowds that everyone makes money, most average people don't know about the other more expensive "Big" brands. But most of the crowds I hang out with aren't into watches except one of my friends. Hell he knows more then me. He was the one that pointed out AP to me, now I will probably never turn back. Probably will only buy AP from now on.
Old 19 October 2017, 04:06 AM   #24
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Nope, no one ever commented on my AP, I did get one comment from a friend about my PP 5712, « is that a Royal Oak? » I explained what it was. But in general apart from 2 friends who know I love watches no one ever asked me about my watch and I am fine like that, my friends and people I know are not into watches at all, even the ones who are very wealthy...
I like under the radar watches and am very happy that no one notices what I am wearing...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 04:16 AM   #25
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
We were in Brighton a few months ago and I went into the relatively small WoS there. The manager (nice bloke) was very excited to see my RO Chrono and called his two assistants over to see it. I don't think they'd ever had an AP, or watch of that value, in the store before. Made me feel quite important, and my son was impressed!

Having picked up my Summer Edition from AP London a couple of months or so ago I wore it home (have to for insurance) and on the tube a bloke sitting opposite said 'nice watch' as he got up to get off. Nobody has noticed it since...

That said, of all my watches the SE is the loudest!
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 05:42 AM   #26
5Zigen
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
I get a comment here and there on my Rolex and PP but when wearing my 44RG, several has asked me is that a HUBLOT...
5Zigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 07:06 AM   #27
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I've been to Rolex ADs trying on watches, and when I take off my AP I can tell the sales rep has no clue what kind of watch it is haha!

this has happened numerous times.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 07:39 AM   #28
malb85
"TRF" Member

This may damage my rep beyond repair on here but...... I used to own a Hublot. Show mercy on me

Old 19 October 2017, 07:54 AM   #29
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malb85 View Post
This may damage my rep beyond repair on here but...... I used to own a Hublot. Show mercy on me

I like them. Overpriced and large but cool

Instagram - patton250
Old 19 October 2017, 07:55 AM   #30
underpar31009
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and JLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i was in houston once trying on a Rolex. It was an explorer II or something or maybe it was a Panerai i can't really remember. What i do remember is the salesman looked at my watch before i left and when giving me his card he told me to give him a call when i was ready to "upgrade". He had no clue. It was at the US equivalent of the UK's WoS, a large chain AD.
Hahahahahahah!!! Would love to know your response.
underpar31009 is offline   Reply With Quote