The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 October 2017, 06:04 AM   #31
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

I love all the stainless steel sports models. BUT nothing compares to the almighty SDK4! The 116600 is the perfect size! I adore this watch!
IMG_4693.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 07:50 AM   #32
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Yep. And Man Financial was convinced the Greek debt would see its value skyrocket after Europe's rescue and took a very large bet. As it turned out, MF went bust.

Now, if what your acquaintance is doing is buying back as many SD4Ks as possible in an attempt to control the supply and push prices up (squueze the market), well good luck with that.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 08:00 AM   #33
LightOnAHill
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG DD lchdp
great pic
LightOnAHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 02:06 PM   #34
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
TS, sorry you think that I'm a douche and an "empty barrel" (still don't understand how the congreesswoman conflated that term with the "r" word). At any rate, your attack doesn't strike me as particularly classy or appropriate, but whatever. I would just point out that, out of 33 response posts so far, only 2 or 3 of them are actually relevant to your initial post. Just sayin.....

By the way, I'd be curious to know how much wrist time your WG DD40 gets. That reference remains my grail....such a beautiful watch. I remember being (olive) green with envy when you first acquired it.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 02:31 PM   #35
Londonboy
"TRF" Member

Mine wasn't one of the 39, that's for sure.
Londonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 02:45 PM   #36
Smarties
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
Bought Disney in 1982 at $6. So yes, I'm on board with ya.

Can't agree more! Bought NVDA at 10 in 2009.
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 06:37 PM   #37
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Although I own every diver made by Rolex, my favorite is the SD4K. Hands down. Own a few myself.. Was speaking to someone I'm VERY comfortable with as far as future rolex speculation. Someone many of us know. He thinks it's a lock that the SD4k skyrockets. How confident is he? He has bought back 39 from clients.

Just an anecdote, thought I'd share.
Quote:
I like the new SD43, wear it occasionally. I mean, I like them all. Wear them all occasionally. Honestly, lately have been in bromance with the good old standard sub. But I fell in love with the 16600 in 2001, so it just feels at home. The only 5 digit I own.
By SD4K (as in the 39 bought back) are you referring to the 5 digit 16600 (the original SD4K?) or the 6 digit 116600 which is (often incorrectly) assumed on here to be *the* SD4K?

Curious as I can see the 5 digit ref becoming very collectible which would make sense with a bulk acquisition by a trader

Cheers

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 09:04 PM   #38
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I'm no financial expert, but I have invested in property and stocks.

If I'd invested the circa £275k it would require to buy 39 SD40's at today's prices in the FTSE100 20 years ago, I'd today be sitting on about £700k, despite the occurrence in that time of the biggest financial crisis in decades affecting an economy my that is hugely biased towards financial services.

If instead I'd invested that money in property in my small corner of outer London, I'd have £1million in the bank, plus whatever money I'd made in rental income. Had I had the foresight and opportunity to invest in central London property, you could probably double or even treble that figure.

So, genuine question, what Rolex models would you have to have invested in 20 years ago to match or better those returns?

Bearing in mind that following the advice of a decent financial adviser would probably net you even better returns that what I've outlined, it strikes me that somebody investing such a huge sum in watches probably has so much money that he can afford to throw a fair chunk of it away.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 09:13 PM   #39
teo
"TRF" Member

Provided u buy the right stock. What happen if u bet on the wrong stock in the share market?
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 09:15 PM   #40
teo
"TRF" Member

Talk about property just look at the subprime mess created. Investment in stocks and property are not always rosy, it is about timing and the right stock u bought.
Old 22 October 2017, 09:46 PM   #41
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
Provided u buy the right stock. What happen if u bet on the wrong stock in the share market?
The example I gave was based on the value of FTSE 100 companies - roughly speaking the 100 biggest companies listed on the London Stock Exchange. You could have made more or less depending on which specific stocks you bought.

You are of course right that timing can make a difference. However an analysis of the FTSE performed by AXA in 2016 showed that a 10-year investment in the index commenced at any point over the previous 20 years had a 95% chance of yielding a profit, with an average return of 70%. The only time you would've lost money would basically have been if you'd sold at the height of the financial crash in 2009, though you'd have made all your money back and then some if you'd held on.

Speaking of property, I know nothing of the US market and the country is almost unimaginably vast. However the UK is a tiny, overcrowded island. It's pretty much inevitable that, barring the sort of apocalyptic event that would render money itself worthless, property prices will always increase if you take a long enough view.

All that aside, my point stands: whatever risks are inherent in investing in property and stocks, surely they are utterly dwarfed by the risks of investing in watches?!
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 09:53 PM   #42
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Mines on my wrist for the long haul...It's a catch well caught!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 09:56 PM   #43
WEST HAM ROLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT LN/SD43/D Blue
Maybe I'm boring or old fashioned
But I love Rolex for what they are individually

The last thing that concerns me is that the models I have go up in value
I don't care if my Deepsea Blue is worth 5K or 15K
Just love wearing it,,,

Also my GMT LN & Sub No date,,,thats very old
WEST HAM ROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 10:02 PM   #44
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would assume that the buyer of the 39 watches understands his business much better than I do and is in the move for the long haul. I have read and talked with private collectors who talk about investment watches and I understand the concept but for me it is a bonus to owning the watches you love and wear.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 10:05 PM   #45
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
stocks and real estate will go up more in the next 30 years. rule of 72.

Yup. If I’m buying for 30 year returns I’m not buying SD4K’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 October 2017, 10:39 PM   #46
teo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
The example I gave was based on the value of FTSE 100 companies - roughly speaking the 100 biggest companies listed on the London Stock Exchange. You could have made more or less depending on which specific stocks you bought.

You are of course right that timing can make a difference. However an analysis of the FTSE performed by AXA in 2016 showed that a 10-year investment in the index commenced at any point over the previous 20 years had a 95% chance of yielding a profit, with an average return of 70%. The only time you would've lost money would basically have been if you'd sold at the height of the financial crash in 2009, though you'd have made all your money back and then some if you'd held on.

Speaking of property, I know nothing of the US market and the country is almost unimaginably vast. However the UK is a tiny, overcrowded island. It's pretty much inevitable that, barring the sort of apocalyptic event that would render money itself worthless, property prices will always increase if you take a long enough view.

All that aside, my point stands: whatever risks are inherent in investing in property and stocks, surely they are utterly dwarfed by the risks of investing in watches?!
Property is all about leverage or loan from banks. Provided your job is stable there is no guarantee of no retrentchment in future.
Old 22 October 2017, 10:52 PM   #47
Dyim
"TRF" Member

A pic of 39 of them together will cure all doubts...
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 10:55 PM   #48
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
reminds me off all the real estate agents who got stuck during the mortgage crisis. never fall in love with inventory.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 01:31 AM   #49
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

He sent 10 to japan last week. 2k profit a piece. Easy peezy $20k.

The world is not a tiny bubble.
Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote