The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 January 2018, 03:55 AM   #61
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by explodingtaco View Post
Everyone has their preferences and I think part of the point of this thread is to say “hey we all know what we know, and like what we like” dont be all pretentious about it!

So to your preference for non-“electronics governing” I totally respect that, and have similar feelings myself as if using electronics “cheats” the mechanical-ness of the watch. However, learning how GS actually makes the Spring Drive changed my opinions of it. It is a masterclass in craftsmanship and engineering. I would LOVE to own one, if only I liked any of Siekos styling.

I see the Spring Drive a lot like Japanese whiskey. Sure, it is not a Scotch, but it is a hell of a drink! If I am going to choose any whiskey it will be a single malt Isla Scotch. It is pure, governed by clear rules, single barrel left up to a person to decide its quality, and only from Scotland. But the Japanese make a hell of a “scotch”. It just does not follow the rules, is not made in Isla, they are usually blended, and probably use computers to figure out the taste.
Yeah, what exactly is horology? Back in the days where modern technology is still in the infancy, yes, everything is mechanical. But just because the Japanese found another way of doing watch movement, we can't say it's not horology just because it's not a pure mechanical movement. In fact, if we take the opposite view, one can say it's better horology, it's got the best of both worlds.

I often tell my friends that are RM and Hermes all that different? It used to be a real watch company should be founded by watchmakers, have hundreds of years of history, and have in-house movement, say, like PP. So Richard Mille, who is not a watchmaker, started his company by outsourcing everything (even now he only makes the case in-house, high end moment to APRP, lower end to Vaucher) so basically all he does is marketing, but RM is loved by almost everyone here. Hermes, not started by a watchmaker, but have been making watches far longer than RM, owns 25% of Vaucher, and yet it's viewed with a disdain here, not a real watch company, but somehow RM is?

To appreciate horology we should all have an open mind, just because somethings doesn't fit our own particular criteria doesn't mean it's bad or crap.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 04:04 AM   #62
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
my first ever watch was a timex ,,, wish i still had it now
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 10:20 PM   #63
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
What's worse: a watch snob or a wine/alcohol snob?
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
I'm gonna run with the wine snob SF. Especially those types that swear they can detect the exact row, planting, and cluster of grapes from where the vintage originated.
Agreed. In fact, there's nothing worse. Wine Snobbery sits at the apex of the Great Pyramid of Douchebaggery.

As far as tourbillons, while it's true they are expensive and don't serve much functional purpose anymore, how many Daytona owners spend tens or possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars but have never pushed the plungers to use the chrono feature to time anything, let alone use it in conjunction with the tach bezel to measure speed? It could therefore be legitimately argued that the chrono complication of 99.9% of Rolex Daytonas out there are every bit as useless and a "rich man's toy" as a Breguet tourbillon feature.

On the other hand and unlike tourbillons and Daytona chrono/tach bezels, Indiglo is useful.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 12:42 PM   #64
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
It was probably the profession of the watch owners than the watches themselves. Some "academics" enjoy speaking in haute language. In other words, a show of power. It was rude to look down on another because of their choice of watch or their limited knowledge. A true watch WIS would be enthusiastic to explain ( in layman terms) the uniqueness of their timepiece. It would be like two veteran surgeons talking shop with an EMT at a party.
I have a high IQ and do not have any interest in the "cutting edge" movements I have no desire to own. I still am a member of a mid-range watch club that I enjoy and learn from its members.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:53 AM   #65
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Offenses are taken, not given. You were with some folks who had more knowledge than you did about a certain subject. Big deal. Love what you have.
Old 16 January 2018, 10:14 AM   #66
andycg11
"TRF" Member

I wonder, how one supposed to feel when wearing Rolex compare to wearing Timex? A lighter wallet perhaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andycg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:43 AM   #67
skkali168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116689
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Rolex is not a high-end watch and does not impress watch snobs for good reason.

You were not wearing a watch in their league and you don't know very much about horology.

Calling a tourbillon a "rich man's toy" while wearing a Rolex is ironic, since they actually knew about watches and you don't.

You are like a stereotype of ignorant rolex owners. Wanting people to support you in your ignorance seems a little gross.

The sad part is that if you actually had an interest in watches, it wouldn't have mattered what you were wearing, you could have shared in their passion, rather than being threatened by it.

This just reads mean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
skkali168 is offline   Reply With Quote