The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 January 2019, 02:43 PM   #1
wjviper
2024 Pledge Member

Looking to Purchase local...need advice

Gents,

I’ve found a very crisp ceramic sub locally that has been worn in rotation with other watches. The Gentleman that owns the watch currently has every single document down to the business card and receipt from purchase. He told me that he bought an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner and has used this a couple of times on the watch to clean it since purchase about 3 years ago.

From everything I’ve read...you should not put in the whole watch which he has done...

Should I be worried? Or chances are everything is status quo?

Thank you as always!
wjviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:42 PM   #2
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
If he only puts the bracelet in the ultrasonic cleaner then it’s fine. If he puts the whole thing, that’s a different story and I personally would avoid acquiring such watch. Maybe ask him for clarification?
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:43 PM   #3
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacke90 View Post
If he only puts the bracelet in the ultrasonic cleaner then it’s fine. If he puts the whole thing, that’s a different story and I personally would avoid acquiring such watch. Maybe ask him for clarification?
Why?
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:53 PM   #4
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Why?

Good question. Since mechanical watches are made of multiple delicate components, I just feel that it’s best to avoid subjecting them to unneeded wears and tears from the vibration stems from the ultrasonic cleaner. I guess if you can test the accuracy of the current time piece, then that might be OK?
Old 22 January 2019, 05:02 PM   #5
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacke90 View Post
Good question. Since mechanical watches are made of multiple delicate components, I just feel that it’s best to avoid subjecting them to unneeded wears and tears from the vibration stems from the ultrasonic cleaner. I guess if you can test the accuracy of the current time piece, then that might be OK?
I'll have to disagree, Rolex is not delicate, nor is it really dangerous to put it in an ultrasonic cleaner. It's a misconception. I've seen many jewelers do it first hand without a single issue short or long term and it actually works really well to clean the watch safely. Now if you overdo it or use the machine improperly that is a different story.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:16 PM   #6
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Myporsche,

Most small, inexpensive ultrasonic cleaners are low wattage (30 - 60) and would not have the power to compromise new seals on a Rolex watch.

However, as most would not know how good the seals are on their watches it is probably better to avoid submerging the movement.

A high wattage commercial ultrasonic cleaner is a different animal altogether.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:36 PM   #7
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:53 PM   #8
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

While it is not advised to put a cased watch head in an ultrasonic cleaner, if you can get it pressure tested and make sure it is running fine, I would imagine you'd be ok.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 02:02 AM   #9
TK116710
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710ln
Not exactly answering your question...….. but, for what it's worth, I found pretty good luck with College Station and Beaumont AD's in terms of getting inventory information over the phone (I'm assuming you're in the Woodlands, TX (Houston)). You might consider giving it a shot. The last time I called either of them, they both had at least one sub and one had a black GMT.
TK116710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 02:05 AM   #10
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I think a "couple of times" on a three-year old watch, designed to withstand 1000 feet of pressure, would not be an issue.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 02:31 AM   #11
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
I'll have to disagree, Rolex is not delicate, nor is it really dangerous to put it in an ultrasonic cleaner. It's a misconception. I've seen many jewelers do it first hand without a single issue short or long term and it actually works really well to clean the watch safely. Now if you overdo it or use the machine improperly that is a different story.
I’m not saying Rolex is delicate. I’m stating that mechanical movements comprise of multiple parts—why subject them to any potential harm. We can agree to disagree as both of us are not an expert in the field of cleaning watches with an ultrasonic cleaner. From jewelers point of view, it’s easier to just place the whole watch in rather than taking the time and effort to remove the bracelet. FYI, I do own an ultrasonic cleaner.
Old 23 January 2019, 02:36 AM   #12
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjviper View Post
Gents,

I’ve found a very crisp ceramic sub locally that has been worn in rotation with other watches. The Gentleman that owns the watch currently has every single document down to the business card and receipt from purchase. He told me that he bought an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner and has used this a couple of times on the watch to clean it since purchase about 3 years ago.

From everything I’ve read...you should not put in the whole watch which he has done...

Should I be worried? Or chances are everything is status quo?

Thank you as always!

My mother had a Rolex ladies president, never serviced for 30 years. Used an ultrasonic cleaner all the time. Never an issue.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 03:20 AM   #13
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
My AD will clean my watches with an ultrasonic machine whenever I ask them to. They never put the case in the cleaner, only the bracelet. There must be a reason for this...
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 03:54 AM   #14
Greenp
"TRF" Member

Wouldn't the ultrasonic cleaner displace oil from bearing/jewels?
Greenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 04:18 AM   #15
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Using a cheap ultrasonic is likely doing nothing to the watch in truth.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 04:40 AM   #16
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Sounds like it's still under warranty only 3 years old.
I'll bet it's fine
Old 23 January 2019, 05:08 AM   #17
Motomatt52
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126660 DSSD
I cant imagine an "inexpensive" commercially available ultrasonic cleaner would harm the watch if used a "few times"
Motomatt52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 07:17 AM   #18
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Ultrasonic cleaners and putting the Rolex head in have nothing to do with seals. If you submerse the head and turn the ultrasonic on all those little jewels that have very specific oils on them, the oil gets mitigated to other areas of the watch. Your service intervals will be greatly accelerated due to this. Dont submerge the head, bracelet only.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote