The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 January 2019, 02:05 PM   #1
FatFrank
"TRF" Member

Rolex Submariner 2 tone 116613LN New or Used

So here’s my dilemma, I just purchased a used submariner two tone 116613LN and it is a 2010. The previous owner was doctor who barely wore it. It was literally in mint condition and I actually still pulled off some plastic when I purchased it. My Jeweler will allow me to return and purchase a brand new one for $2000 more. What are your thoughts on this? And my other questions is, let’s say in 30 years from now I had a 2019 116613LN and a 2010 116613LN in the same condition. Will they be the same price. I’m just having second thoughts because it’s about to be 10 years old even though it’s basically mint. I also like the fact that my name would be on the new one along with the warranty. Or is it not a big deal and I should just enjoy it?
FatFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:09 PM   #2
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

you can find one that is 1 year old for 2000 less than retail. I'm not saying it's a horrible deal but you could do better if you are concerned about age and service for the movement.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:19 PM   #3
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Keep the one you have and service it when it needs it
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:27 PM   #4
FatFrank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
you can find one that is 1 year old for 2000 less than retail. I'm not saying it's a horrible deal but you could do better if you are concerned about age and service for the movement.
I haven’t seen any used ones for the price I got mine for. My Families been buying Jewlery from this guy for 30+ years. Let’s just say I got mine for less than 10 and can get the new one for less than 12. Don’t know if it’s appropriate for me to be talking numbers on this site since I am new. Forgive me if so
Old 22 January 2019, 02:35 PM   #5
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFrank View Post
I haven’t seen any used ones for the price I got mine for. My Families been buying Jewlery from this guy for 30+ years. Let’s just say I got mine for less than 10 and can get the new one for less than 12. Don’t know if it’s appropriate for me to be talking numbers on this site since I am new. Forgive me if so
Go with your gut, my only thought was 10 years old vs new for 2k more....

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:55 PM   #6
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Both are the same. It wouldn’t make any difference in 10 year time whether your watch was bought in 2010 or 2019!
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:01 PM   #7
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Worrying about the value of a watch over 30 years ? I hope you are joking
Old 22 January 2019, 05:25 PM   #8
peterpl
Banned

The only thing is a 2010 model is maybe due for a service which will cost you maybe around $750-$1000 even though it may not have been used too much. You dont know where it was stored or how it was stored. Maybe the oils are dried up over the 8 years

For $2k more for a new one I think it might be a better option. Plus you get the 5 years warranty. Maybe that alone is good enough reason for peace of mind that you know whatever happens in the next 5 years Rolex will fix it for free.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:59 PM   #9
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
In 30 years???
Lolssss
Investing is you're criteria for enjoying your watch?? Sad.

My take, waste of $2k.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:06 PM   #10
ChrisMy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek & Rolex
i would not pay another 2k as you're going to keep it for years to come
ChrisMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:10 PM   #11
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I would take the new one, since you'll already spend close to 1k servicing the one you have.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 11:17 PM   #12
FatFrank
"TRF" Member

Quit killing me on the 30 year thing. It was just a quick thought I had while typing haha dumb example question I guess lol I will have the watch for the rest of my life
Old 22 January 2019, 11:19 PM   #13
FatFrank
"TRF" Member

Also my jeweler is a great family friend and he services/polishes Rolex’s as well. So if anything were to happen to it he would take care of it for me. Maybe not for free but definitely for a great price. Think I’m leaning towards just keeping the one I have now.
Old 22 January 2019, 11:31 PM   #14
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
If you love the watch and plan to keep it for many years, seems like as good a time as any to upgrade to a new one - as yours will come into service period soon. Fresh warranty and service records, that alone is worth surely $1k, then the extra $1k for a 10 years newer watch, in your name and brand new condition, not bad.

So yes if you are looking to blow $2k on something, then I guess you can get it to make sense. But the best financial decision is to keep the one you've got and just service it when it needs it.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 11:34 PM   #15
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
I just paid a small premium for the privilege of pulling off all my stickers and having a brand new full set on my 116613LB. I say do the trade and you dont have to worry about anything for 10 more years. Whats 2K in the big scheme of things.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 03:06 AM   #16
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
So here’s my dilemma, I just purchased a used submariner two tone 116613LN and it is a 2010. The previous owner was doctor who barely wore it. It was literally in mint condition and I actually still pulled off some plastic when I purchased it. My Jeweler will allow me to return and purchase a brand new one for $2000 more. What are your thoughts on this? And my other questions is, let’s say in 30 years from now I had a 2019 116613LN and a 2010 116613LN in the same condition. Will they be the same price. I’m just having second thoughts because it’s about to be 10 years old even though it’s basically mint. I also like the fact that my name would be on the new one along with the warranty. Or is it not a big deal and I should just enjoy it?
If you need to give away $2k, just send me a PM.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 03:11 AM   #17
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
If you like the new one better, then get it. 2k does however seem a bit too much.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 03:15 AM   #18
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
I would keep the one you have. Even if you need to service in the next few years that will only be 700$ ish.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 05:51 AM   #19
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
As you mentioned, the current one is in mint condition so not much of a difference in the actual watch for $2k more... for me though, if I were to consider this move, it would be more for me having my own name on the card especially if its meant to be an heirloom or something
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 06:05 AM   #20
Halitosis
"TRF" Member

Watch: my angry dog
Think of the dealer's motive - he isn't making that offer for your benefit, its for his own interest, so either haggle on his 2k trade up price or keep the 10 year old watch. It'll look exactly the same on your wrist and you'll have money in your pocket
Halitosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 06:09 AM   #21
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
If the one you purchased from the Doctor looks just like
new and you still peeled some plastic off of it take the extra
$2K and go on vacation... Or put it towards your next watch?
Lots you can do with $2K...

Did you get all the original boxes, tang tags, paperwork and
warranty card with the watch from the Doc ?
It's already out of warranty so unless your name on it
is worth the extra money I'd say call it a day and be happy...

Beautiful Watch enjoy it , I have the Blue dial one...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 09:02 AM   #22
georgekart
"TRF" Member

First of all your difference isn't 2k. Your watch is 10 years old. It needs servicing. AFAIK servicing at RSC costs about 1k. Lets say you do it for 500 at your jewler. Most likely he knows how to service 3135, it's not a new movement. So you have 1-1.5k difference.

Is it worth to have a new watch for 1.5k? If it is your first Rolex/expensive watch it might. For that psychological factor. If not, up to you to decide. Does it bother you it is used? Do you care? I don't think it will affect value.

If I were you I probably would. But if it was an offer to exchange for bluesy, that'd be an easy choice.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 09:33 AM   #23
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
First of all your difference isn't 2k. Your watch is 10 years old. It needs servicing. AFAIK servicing at RSC costs about 1k. Lets say you do it for 500 at your jewler. Most likely he knows how to service 3135, it's not a new movement. So you have 1-1.5k difference.

Is it worth to have a new watch for 1.5k? If it is your first Rolex/expensive watch it might. For that psychological factor. If not, up to you to decide. Does it bother you it is used? Do you care? I don't think it will affect value.

If I were you I probably would. But if it was an offer to exchange for bluesy, that'd be an easy choice.
Agree to swap for Bluesy Sub C as well...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 09:46 AM   #24
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
The only thing is a 2010 model is maybe due for a service which will cost you maybe around $750-$1000 even though it may not have been used too much. You dont know where it was stored or how it was stored. Maybe the oils are dried up over the 8 years

For $2k more for a new one I think it might be a better option. Plus you get the 5 years warranty. Maybe that alone is good enough reason for peace of mind that you know whatever happens in the next 5 years Rolex will fix it for free.
this
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 11:28 AM   #25
FatFrank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
If the one you purchased from the Doctor looks just like
new and you still peeled some plastic off of it take the extra
$2K and go on vacation... Or put it towards your next watch?
Lots you can do with $2K...

Did you get all the original boxes, tang tags, paperwork and
warranty card with the watch from the Doc ?
It's already out of warranty so unless your name on it
is worth the extra money I'd say call it a day and be happy...

Beautiful Watch enjoy it , I have the Blue dial one...
Original box, tang tags, no paperwork, and I did get the warranty card
Old 23 January 2019, 11:30 AM   #26
FatFrank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
Agree to swap for Bluesy Sub C as well...
To be honest I had the choice to get the blue one as well but I really liked the slickness of the black. My cars black, the majority of my clothes are black and I just like black better lol
Old 23 January 2019, 12:13 PM   #27
FatFrank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post

How will I know if it’s time to service my Rolex in the first place. Sorry if this is a noob questions
Old 23 January 2019, 08:06 PM   #28
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How will I know if it’s time to service my Rolex in the first place. Sorry if this is a noob questions
Everyone will tell you differently. Up until 2015 Rolex had 2 year warranty and 3 year service interval. After 2015, they have a 5 year warranty with 10 year service interval. Some people believe you should only service when a watch starts running wrong. Etc. Is 3 years too often? I would say so. Is 10 too long? Probably as well. I personally think 7-8 is the sweet spot. But I am no expert, nor do I have evidence to back my claim up. If I were you I'd service it. First of all back then they used different lubricants so it might start drying out already. Secondly if nothing else it will give you a piece of mind.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 09:36 PM   #29
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
For $2k, I think it’s worth it to have my name on the warranty card and worry free for another 10 years. But that just me.
Gotgolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 10:38 PM   #30
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nothing wrong with keeping the watch you have but it will need a service at some point. I know 2k is a lot of money but not really, depending on how you look at it. A new watch with complete box and papers and warranty for five years is appealing. When you take the service costs out of the 2k it is a lot more interesting. If you should decide to flip the watch, the newer model under warranty will bring more value. I would do the deal for the new watch. Make my own history with it and there is something about getting a new watch. Not just new to you. In the end the money is too close, taking into account service and age, not to get the new one. Go for it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote