The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 January 2019, 03:05 AM   #1
nunzio66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509-0072, 16613
Submariner running fast

Greetings!

I have a 12-year old Sub date that is running 20 seconds per day fast. This watch has never been serviced or even opened.

I have three choices:

1) leave it alone
2) have watch opened up and simply adjusted
3) send it in for a full-blown $1,000 servicing

I spoke to my authorized dealer and, surprisingly, they recommended option #1.
Their watchmaker said that the watch should only be opened for a full-blown service and that said service should be carried out only when the watch starts to run slow (as the lubricants dry out).

I’m inclined to follow their recommendation...running a bit fast has no real-life consequences for me.

What do you guys think?

Alan
N.J.
nunzio66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 04:48 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
That watchmaker is a sad fellow, and I would seek another opinion.

Todays synthetics almost never dry out and cause the watch to run slowly as the earlier fossil lubes did. That is one of the dangers of synthetics, you simply do not know if the watch is running metal-to-metal and grinding itself to dust any more.

If your watch is not performing as you like it, have it regulated if you don't want a full service. There is no magic that will fall out of the watch when you take the case-back off.
Old 23 January 2019, 04:50 AM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

12 years... get it serviced. It could just be magnetized, BUUUUUUT after 12 years the oils and whatnot really could use refreshing.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 04:52 AM   #4
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Time for a service IMO. There has to be several independent watchmakers wear you live that can service the Sub. I'd contact a few and see what they charge.

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 06:31 AM   #5
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
I would try getting it demagnetized first and see if that helps, although I hear it runs considerably faster if watch gets magnetized.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 07:07 AM   #6
Chad M
"TRF" Member

Demagnetize first.

If that doesn't work than I'd send for a full blown movement service.
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 07:23 AM   #7
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
It can also run faster due to many mechanical issues and even oil sticking to the hairspring coils.
You are certainly nearer to a service interval than you were 12 years ago!
Perhaps seek out a qualified independent repairer for evaluation/estimate.
It can be put on a test machine that will show many faults without removing any part of the watch/case.
That is me speaking as a clockmaker and my humble opinion.
There is a similar thread on here about the same issue now.
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 07:27 AM   #8
Bigblu10
Banned

12 years old=Service time! The oils are likely contaminated with metal dust, and the O-rings and crystal gasket have likely lived their useful life. Get it done and be worry free for another 10 or so years. That is what I'd do!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 07:30 AM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Todays synthetics almost never dry out and cause the watch to run slowly as the earlier fossil lubes did. That is one of the dangers of synthetics, you simply do not know if the watch is running metal-to-metal and grinding itself to dust any more.

If your watch is not performing as you like it, have it regulated if you don't want a full service. There is no magic that will fall out of the watch when you take the case-back off.
This exactly, there is no harm in opening a watch.

Have it looked at by a good watchmaker, demagnetise and if it doesn't look good (dry, low amplitude, sign of debris due to rotor axle wearing) then have it serviced.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 07:38 AM   #10
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
This exactly, there is no harm in opening a watch.

Have it looked at by a good watchmaker, demagnetise and if it doesn't look good (dry, low amplitude, sign of debris due to rotor axle wearing) then have it serviced.
How much does amplitude decrease when the oils are used up? Is this due to increased friction?
Old 23 January 2019, 07:43 AM   #11
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
How much does amplitude decrease when the oils are used up? Is this due to increased friction?
Amplitude can decrease significantly, especially due to a dry pallet fork. Low amplitude also causes fast running, so I'm quite sure the watch really needs a service at this point.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 07:49 AM   #12
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Amplitude can decrease significantly, especially due to a dry pallet fork. Low amplitude also causes fast running, so I'm quite sure the watch really needs a service at this point.
After 12 years of running, I agree fully.
Old 23 January 2019, 07:52 AM   #13
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
It's your watch and option 1 sort of sounds reasonable on one level.

I would say most responsible watchmakers could say that 12 years between services is stretching the friendship a little too far and it could justifiably warrant a movement service.
Option 3 would be my choice as I have recently sent an Omega Co-axial Railmaster in for a service after 13 years of infrequent use because it started to slow down slightly from being a rock solid + 3-3.5 seconds per day watch to around a solid +2 seconds per day.
The manufacturer recommends about 5 years service interval if I recall correctly.
Interestingly the watchmaker I trusted with it is possibly the most highly regarded independent in the country.
He suggested it was over due for a service when talking to him over the phone, then when I took it in it was placed on a timeographer to assess it's condition by his son who is taking over the business and the timeographer was showing it running slow but very consistently.
His son suggested it be left alone until it was playing up.
As Co-axials can be running just fine and doing all the right things whilst they are beating themselves to death, I opted to have it serviced regardless.

Let us know what you decide to do with your watch and your rationale
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 08:00 AM   #14
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

I would doubt a responsible watchmaker would attempt to regulate it without giving it a full service. That would be leading with their chin.
As soon as the watchmaker starts tinkering with it, they will own it and leave themselves wide open.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 07:17 AM   #15
nunzio66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509-0072, 16613
Based upon the advice here, I took my Sub Date to the local AD here in NJ to be demagnetized.
Their Rolex-certified watchmaker examined the watch and determined that it wasn’t magnetized. He said the watch was running fast because it had suffered a major impact at some point (I certainly don’t remember that) and that the hairspring had been knocked off-center. He repaired the hairspring and adjusted the timing. Cost was a very reasonable $75 and the watch is now running properly.

All is right with the world.

Thanks,
Alan
N.J.
nunzio66 is offline   Reply With Quote