The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 January 2019, 01:20 AM   #61
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
Sounds like it will reserved for luxury high end gold Speednasters. They will probably sell a ton of them.

If I were Omega, I'd do it in Platinum, so it looked like the original stainless, but cost 30 grand.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 01:25 AM   #62
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I would say no.

Omega will distribute this in a limited fashion and they will be tough to obtain without the usual connections and or a little luck...

So the rising tide will float all boats and the vintage models will see some appreciation as well.

That is my guess...
Very plausible as the vintage Tudors saw a big revival once the Black Bay was announced... Prior to that they were looked down upon as the "cheap" sub. (some still hold on to that theory; I never did)
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 10:15 AM   #63
exador
Banned

First batch produced as LE in gold. Then regular (although limited by the hand made process) production SS. Pricing of the latter around DSOTM levels.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 11:56 AM   #64
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Great news.

Unfortunately I think the price will be jacked up significantly and the rest of the watch might be “meh”.

But I’m hopefully optimistic, this could be my 5th Speedy (previous 4 are gone).
Old 11 January 2019, 03:42 PM   #65
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
If I were Omega, I'd do it in Platinum, so it looked like the original stainless, but cost 30 grand.
A platinum version would be double that.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 04:54 AM   #66
Mikel212
"TRF" Member

Hope they dont give the dial a fake patina.

Does that mean servicing a 321 cal can now be done at an AD and no longer needs to be sent to Bienne?

Also, didnt many of the vintage 321 and 861 have that "hand not reseting to zero" issue? Of the three I own, two suffered from this problem. So if this high failure rate was a design flaw, can you still call it a "cal 321". after modifications? Shouldnt it be named "cal 321A"?

This I find funny..."also used digital scanning technology to see inside the true Speedmaster ST 105.003 timepiece that astronaut Eugene “Gene” Cernan wore"....why can they just open the watch? Its not like its King Tuts mummy.
Omega cracks me up with their marketing sometimes.
Mikel212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 08:34 AM   #67
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

This I find funny..."also used digital scanning technology to see inside the true Speedmaster ST 105.003 timepiece that astronaut Eugene “Gene” Cernan wore"....why can they just open the watch? Its not like its King Tuts mummy.
Omega cracks me up with their marketing sometimes.[/QUOTE]

I also found this pretty funny. 10 years worth of 321s, there must be ONE they can open and disassemble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 03:48 AM   #68
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by D111s View Post
Just posted on Omega’s Instagram!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a really interesting move. While I welcome it, I wonder what this does to the moonwatch. Meaning, if they place the 321 in the traditional speedypro moonwatch, it means that their will tiers of the speedmaster with the 321 as being the real deal, and the ones with the current cal 1861 being "lesser than." Almost what Brietling has done with their navitimer line with the old Valjoux movements and the B01 being available.

While it offers ore choise, sets up an interesting dynamic about what is the real moon watch. Given how limited it will be, I would guess that the traditional moonwatch with hesilite and 1861 will remain as it. The 321 would likely be placed in perhaps a model with the saphire case back or perhaps have some other designation demarcating it as separate from the traditional moonwatch.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 05:15 AM   #69
jason10mm
"TRF" Member

Well, omega is almost obligated to put the 321 into a display back watch because otherwise how could you tell? But then it wouldnt be what astronauts (and cosmonauts) use today. So they are kinda in a bind. The current "issued" NASA watch is the 1861 (correct?) But the actual "on the moon" movement was the 321 but who is gonna pay a premium for it unless they can see it, which wasnt the case for the actual mission watches. Tough position of appealing to collectors of the movement versus folks who want the actual tool replicated as much as possible.

Its sorta like their james bond watches. He just wears a mostly issue seamaster in the films, but omega adds all these "007"s to the licensed watches. Why?
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 05:08 PM   #70
Justindo
"TRF" Member

This is very cool news! I hope they make a "sapphire sandwich" version in steel with no fauxtina that isn't outrageously priced and not too difficult to obtain.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 07:13 PM   #71
AspiringCollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Grey Ghost
Can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AspiringCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 05:47 AM   #72
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Just got a call from my contact at the Boutique on 5th Ave. He's authorized to take deposits on the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary edition. He said it's NOT going to have Caliber 321. There will be two versions, both housing Caliber 1861, one in steel on a bracelet, and the other in gold, and probably on a strap.

Pretty sure I'm not interested, but just thought I would share the update here.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 07:03 AM   #73
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Just got a call from my contact at the Boutique on 5th Ave. He's authorized to take deposits on the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary edition. He said it's NOT going to have Caliber 321. There will be two versions, both housing Caliber 1861, one in steel on a bracelet, and the other in gold, and probably on a strap.

Wow, big let down if confirmed. It made all the sense in the world for this watch to come with the 321.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 07:09 AM   #74
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Completely an idiotic move from Omega. I'm voting with my wallet on this.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 08:59 AM   #75
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Any idea what it’s gonna look like?
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 09:04 AM   #76
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What a giant, missed opportunity by Omega.

So this begs the question, what are they teasing that 321 for?

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 12:19 PM   #77
ree7
"TRF" Member

I'm guessing the 321 will be a different lineup compared to the other editions. Just like how #SpeedyTuesday lineup was made exclusively for online release models. Separate from any Moon/Space mission editions. A new 'project'.
The 321 project might be a new lineup dedicated to very limited production pieces, due to production constraints and marketing strategy. There may be a different model every few years, but all housing the same new 321.
So every few years we might have a new #SpeedyTuesday 1861 for the online crowd, new Apollo edition 1861 for regular/offline buyers, new 321 exclusive editions for vintage freaks or deep pocketed clients. So, no, I'm guessing 321 movement won't be put into #SpeedyTuesday nor Apollo editions. Unless they are making something big combining 321 in an Apollo edition for 100th anniversary.
Just a guess.
ree7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:47 AM   #78
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Any idea what it’s gonna look like?
No, sorry, I didn't ask for more details. I'm not big on these anniversary edition models. I'm sort of a purist on the basic Speedmaster Pro.

Still, I hope Caliber 321 goes into something cool. I used to have a '67 Reference 145.012, and if I could buy a brand-new version of that watch then I would be all over that!

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 05:53 AM   #79
Hogtown Fatty
"TRF" Member

personally i'd love if the new 321 was made available in the speedy pro case... hesalite, 42mm (though 38.6 or 40 would be cool too). as gorgeous as the movement looks, i wouldn't want a display back- would like to keep it as 'og' as possible. really anxious to learn more... i am def in for a 321, assuming it's priced somewhat reasonably. hoping the ss will be around 7k tops. i am still tempted by the basic 1861 hesalite speedy pro, but will wait to pull the trigger until more info on the new 321 is released.
question: are *all* the limited edition omegas using the 1861 movement?
also, are there any advantages to the 1861 over the 321? i understand 321 is more complex and harder to service.
Hogtown Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 09:39 AM   #80
doctoryellow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Completely an idiotic move from Omega. I'm voting with my wallet on this.
Me too
doctoryellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 09:57 AM   #81
Daryl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctoryellow View Post
Me too

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 09:09 AM   #82
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Still loving my 20th anniversary Apollo ....have all the paperwork and box too. :)
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote