The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 January 2019, 01:32 AM   #121
msolace
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
people sometimes want a geneva seal patek vs a patek seal patek. I have to think an independent patek is worth more than a Swatch Patek as a lot of the "value" isnt just the watch. Its the story, the history, the manufacture. You lose all that justification to pay more money on the secondary market at least. Im sure they will still sell at the same retail but they wont hold value as well or increase as much
Very well said ! Couldn't agree more... despite what the so-called pundits try to argue.
No PP for me post sale
msolace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 01:39 AM   #122
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
The rumors are around SIHH are a divorce and how the wifes sharess would be disposed. Im going to leave it at that.
Makes sense
rw2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 01:40 AM   #123
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Didn't make any difference to Ferrari when FIAT acquired them did it?
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 02:16 AM   #124
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Patek Philippe marketing efforts? To me it is basically none existent. Other than the “ passing on to the next generation” photo ads I see no marketing effort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 02:17 AM   #125
msolace
Banned

More media outlets reporting on the story
Old 23 January 2019, 02:25 AM   #126
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
It’s certainly irrational, but I don’t like JLC or ALS as much, because of their ties to a conglomeration. My opinion of PP will also decrease if they are no longer ID.

The funny thing is, I’ve fallen in love with some independent watch makers, and you’d think they would have to be swallowed up at some point with reasonable certainty. That Dufor could be a Swatch in 10 years.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 02:37 AM   #127
msolace
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterandwatches View Post
It’s certainly irrational, but I don’t like JLC or ALS as much, because of their ties to a conglomeration. My opinion of PP will also decrease if they are no longer ID.

The funny thing is, I’ve fallen in love with some independent watch makers, and you’d think they would have to be swallowed up at some point with reasonable certainty. That Dufor could be a Swatch in 10 years.
F.P. Journe talked about how they were burning so much cash... and not selling enough watches. For as much as I love the watchmaker, this inevitably is a perfect recipe for disaster.
They too are prone to be gobbled up by either Swatch or LVMH in a decade or so..
Old 23 January 2019, 04:34 AM   #128
msolace
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnwfu View Post
I’d welcome it.. I still love their designs and would welcome a 5712 in SS. Don’t care about resale
The 5712 is an amazing piece by the way ...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 23 January 2019, 04:58 AM   #129
TheMethod
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
If I'm the Stern family, I would sell now while I still can get 8 - 10 Billion, valuation will go lower in the next few years. For fans of PP, unless they sell to the right people, they may turn away from the brand.
TheMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 09:08 AM   #130
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Ill say again...divorce rumors. The original source is berenberg—> bloomberg

Maybe we can play telephone.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 09:16 AM   #131
AAP8
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Ill say again...divorce rumors. The original source is berenberg—> bloomberg

Maybe we can play telephone.
If the divorce happens - you are correct the sale will 100% happen - unless his wife would rather just hold onto the equity.
AAP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 09:22 AM   #132
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAP8 View Post
If the divorce happens - you are correct the sale will 100% happen - unless his wife would rather just hold onto the equity.
I have to assume a big co like that can figure out how to structure this.
Maybe the wife stake goes to Private equity etc or something like a working intwrest position like AP owning a portion of Richard Mille.

But longer term...it would open up to total exit.
Old 23 January 2019, 09:31 AM   #133
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
Thierry Stern should just buy out his wife's stake if she is going to sell it. Then he can keep the entire company to himself.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 09:32 AM   #134
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by np2016 View Post
Thierry Stern should just buy out his wife's stake if she is going to sell it. Then he can keep the entire company to himself.

I doubt he can. Most of his net worth is tied up in the company which is why divorce can often force a liquidity event. He could take on debt or PE as mentioned earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 09:51 AM   #135
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
As some have said, Ferrari and Porsche have passed hands but their products remain irresistible. However, I can also recall SAAB, Rover, TVR and some others which have lost popularity or gone away completely after a change in ownership.

Patek makes such good watches across a spectrum of grand complications, complications, sports, ladies and dressy line, and for me, the key concern is what happens if the new management screws up? When a new team comes in, there will always be fresh questions surrounding the quality assurance, volume (which affects exclusivity), and design direction. There are just too many key areas that could go wrong.

Last but not least, I like the Stern's personal touch when it comes to dealing with their customers. They will mail a thank-you letter to your residence after every purchase, send you periodic in-house magazines, and invite you to events/dinners/hands-on. I like all these little thoughtful gestures that go beyond an already fantastic ownership experience.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 10:03 AM   #136
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
As some have said, Ferrari and Porsche have passed hands but their products remain irresistible. However, I can also recall SAAB, Rover, TVR and some others which have lost popularity or gone away completely after a change in ownership.

Patek makes such good watches across a spectrum of grand complications, complications, sports, ladies and dressy line, and for me, the key concern is what happens if the new management screws up? When a new team comes in, there will always be fresh questions surrounding the quality assurance, volume (which affects exclusivity), and design direction. There are just too many key areas that could go wrong...
The other thing is what will replace Patek? AP and Lange are not rightly positioned to really challenge Patek's name supremacy or range of products. Unless the new owner were to make some terrible decisions then I think Patek's position is assured.

It would be ironic if it turns out the whole problem was because you can't pass on the Patek Brand to the next generation or even the missus.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 10:13 AM   #137
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The other thing is what will replace Patek? AP and Lange are not rightly positioned to really challenge Patek's name supremacy or range of products. Unless the new owner were to make some terrible decisions then I think Patek's position is assured.

It would be ironic if it turns out the whole problem was because you can't pass on the Patek Brand to the next generation or even the missus.
That's an excellent point. I have nowhere else to go if Patek turns into Hublot (no disrespect, but I just could not connect with Hublot's design language).

I'm having a terrible headache....
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 10:34 AM   #138
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
That's an excellent point. I have nowhere else to go if Patek turns into Hublot (no disrespect, but I just could not connect with Hublot's design language).

I'm having a terrible headache....

Who-blows?
Old 23 January 2019, 12:55 PM   #139
MinhPham
"TRF" Member

What if Chinese people buy PP THEN doing mass production of Nautilus?
☠️
MinhPham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 01:25 PM   #140
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
I doubt he can. Most of his net worth is tied up in the company which is why divorce can often force a liquidity event. He could take on debt or PE as mentioned earlier.

Whatever reason the Stern the family is considering selling Patek (if at all) aside, but lets assume it is true due to divorce, and I am not familiar with Swiss laws, but I thought TS met his wife while she was working at Patek, so how much stake could she have claimed that it would force TS sell Patek?
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 01:32 PM   #141
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
Whatever reason the Stern the family is considering selling Patek (if at all) aside, but lets assume it is true due to divorce, and I am not familiar with Swiss laws, but I thought TS met his wife while she was working at Patek, so how much stake could she have claimed that it would force TS sell Patek?

I am not saying it would force him to sell. I am just saying he most likely can’t afford to buy her ownership stake outright without taking on outside money since a great deal of his net worth is tied up in his ownership stake.

BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 01:37 PM   #142
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
I am not saying it would force him to sell. I am just saying he most likely can’t afford to buy her ownership stake outright without taking on outside money since a great deal of his net worth is tied up in his ownership stake.

Yeah but that's what I meant? What kind of ownership could she have gotten that TS could't afford just pay her off? It's not like she started Patek with TS, she married into it. I have a friend who just gotten a divorce, he is worth around 500M but just need to pay the wife 3M.

So that's why I am wondering how the Swiss law works?
Old 23 January 2019, 01:58 PM   #143
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
I don't know the particulars of how a divorce would play out under Swiss law. For the sake argument and simplicity, say she took half of his economic ownership. Firstly, there may be measures in place (at the parent Patek company) that could stop her from forcing a sale of the company. There also may be measures in place where she can be stopped from selling her interest of the company (e.g., cannot be done without unanimous consent), measures where others have the right to purchase her interest before anyone else (ROFO or ROFR provisions), etc.

For the sake of argument, say she could force a sale. I've actually worked on a few transactions like this. Albeit, they have all been on a smaller scale (think closer to the $500M-$1B valuation range). Seen a few different situations - everything from an outright sale to a partnership with founder/owner. The latter is more interesting. In short, he probably can't take her out alone by lining up the necessary financing. He could potentially find a financial partner who could pony up the cash to buy out the selling interest. The make-up of that cash is a mix of cash from the financial partner and financing from a bank. Different circumstances and motivation, but similar mechanics to when the Nordstrom family was considering taking the company private last year (they contribute their significant ownership stake and PE buyer tenders the remaining shares with cash coming from themselves and debt financing).
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 02:07 PM   #144
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I hope you guys stop buying Pateks if this happens.

Maybe then I can get a 5164.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 02:09 PM   #145
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I hope you guys stop buying Pateks if this happens.

Maybe then I can get a 5164.
Based on the responses here, you should pray the rumor is true.
Old 23 January 2019, 02:16 PM   #146
APAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
I don't know the particulars of how a divorce would play out under Swiss law. For the sake argument and simplicity, say she took half of his economic ownership. Firstly, there may be measures in place (at the parent Patek company) that could stop her from forcing a sale of the company. There also may be measures in place where she can be stopped from selling her interest of the company (e.g., cannot be done without unanimous consent), measures where others have the right to purchase her interest before anyone else (ROFO or ROFR provisions), etc.

For the sake of argument, say she could force a sale. I've actually worked on a few transactions like this. Albeit, they have all been on a smaller scale (think closer to the $500M-$1B valuation range). Seen a few different situations - everything from an outright sale to a partnership with founder/owner. The latter is more interesting. In short, he probably can't take her out alone by lining up the necessary financing. He could potentially find a financial partner who could pony up the cash to buy out the selling interest. The make-up of that cash is a mix of cash from the financial partner and financing from a bank. Different circumstances and motivation, but similar mechanics to when the Nordstrom family was considering taking the company private last year (they contribute their significant ownership stake and PE buyer tenders the remaining shares with cash coming from themselves and debt financing).

Where is Harvey when you need him
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F7893B2C-5152-4EFF-B751-889F48403B08.jpeg (269.8 KB, 224 views)
APAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 02:18 PM   #147
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAP View Post
Where is Harvey when you need him
He probably worked on my friend's case lol.
Old 23 January 2019, 02:43 PM   #148
APAP
"TRF" Member

She sure for the short end of that stick
APAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 05:33 PM   #149
AAP8
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by APAP View Post
She sure for the short end of that stick
Really? She married a man whose parents had a business, then worked at the business - sure she deserves something - but its not the short end of any stick. In theory Jeff Bezo's wife has done more his success that Stern's wife, since Stern didn't really create anything, just runs it.
AAP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 09:18 PM   #150
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAP8 View Post
Really? She married a man whose parents had a business, then worked at the business - sure she deserves something - but its not the short end of any stick. In theory Jeff Bezo's wife has done more his success that Stern's wife, since Stern didn't really create anything, just runs it.
Actually I believe she was an employee of Patek, that’s how TS met her.

Bezo’s case is different because she and Jeff started the business.

And finally APAP was referring to my post, where I have a friend who is worth around 500M but only had to pay 3M for the divorce. She married into money, so in Taiwan she isn’t entitled to much. That’s why APAP said she got the short end of the stick.