The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 January 2019, 02:24 AM   #31
littleolemoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Which is why I said it’s all about the approach. If you go in, chat with an AD, build some rapport, etc...you have a much greater chance of getting what you want sooner vs. later as well as establishing the relationship.

It’s not all strictly about $$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Just got into this game last year with a purchase of a DJ from a local AD.

Ever since I'd drop by whenever I'm shopping at the mall to chit chat with the folks there who have all been very pleasant and patient.

They all know my " want " but will this lead to a call saying it's actually available to me??? Only time will tell I guess?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
littleolemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:30 AM   #32
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon11

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
I stopped my my local AD this weekend. I asked to placed on a wait list for several watches.

"Have you purchased anything with us before? No? Sorry, we can't add you to any lists."

My $ was literally no good there.

I’m sorry you ran into a salesperson that has lowered the already low line of good business. That poor response to a fellow WIS shows the low class of some folks

To me it’s not about the money, it’s about greeting a fellow watch enthusiast with the happiness and enthusiasm from one watch lover to another

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:47 AM   #33
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleolemoi View Post
This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Just got into this game last year with a purchase of a DJ from a local AD.

Ever since I'd drop by whenever I'm shopping at the mall to chit chat with the folks there who have all been very pleasant and patient.

They all know my " want " but will this lead to a call saying it's actually available to me??? Only time will tell I guess?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Eventually — yes, only time will tell — but the probability is much for favorable than cold calling every AD out there asking for the reference du jour!!!

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:51 AM   #34
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
I’m sorry you ran into a salesperson that has lowered the already low line of good business. That poor response to a fellow WIS shows the low class of some folks

To me it’s not about the money, it’s about greeting a fellow watch enthusiast with the happiness and enthusiasm from one watch lover to another
odds are they are not a WIS salesman. Thats why i like my AD so much because we can just talk watches.

I wish more were truly into watches, but its a sales job and they would sell something else if it wasn't a watch.

Its really a no win though as far as a list goes. If they say no, people get mad. If they say its a 5 year wait people get mad. If they say OK we will sell you a watch with no purchase history, existing customers who are waiting get mad. Someone is mad at the AD no matter what they do
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:53 AM   #35
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Id rather spend extra and not deal with an AD at all, some of the greys on here are outstanding with better service, no years of waitlists etc and cat and mouse games
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:57 AM   #36
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by seal13il View Post
Send an email to rolex corporation

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
they are just being honest, they can otherwise jot down your contact and then throw it to the trash can once you walk out the door.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:57 AM   #37
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
I stopped my my local AD this weekend. I asked to placed on a wait list for several watches.

"Have you purchased anything with us before? No? Sorry, we can't add you to any lists."

Several watches? If I was the AD I would view you as a flipper and I would probably not give you the time of day. If you really want those watches, then you can buy them from gray dealers.

At least the AD was kind enough to be honest and not simply put you on fake lists.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:59 AM   #38
ALF61
"TRF" Member

A clear sign that no matter what, that AD has well more demand out there than can be supplied. As simple as that.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 03:00 AM   #39
wytrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
Why do people still find this surprising?

By the time they get watches in that they cannot clear so need to go to a list with random peoples names on it that saw AD prices below grey prices the watches will no longer be in production. Are they not just saving your time and being honest that you are not going to get steel watches from them if you have not bought from them before?
126610LV
wytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 03:37 AM   #40
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here we go again.....At the end of the day what do you expect ADs to do?

They get calls ALL DAY long for the ‘hot references’ that sell themselves. Most ADs have long lists already of loyal patrons who support them over the years - and that loyalty goes both ways, sorry.

Having said that - is it impossible to get a ‘hot’ reference from one of these. Absolutely not, however most people just go about it the complete wrong way. Simply walking into or calling an AD and asking for a BLRO or Daytona or to get ‘waitlisted’- will get you exactly what one would expect - NOTHING. Going in, chatting building rapport showing interest in other things, or purchases....much better chance.

Sadly, people think that since ADs are ‘retail’ establishments, everyone should be able to just get on a ‘list’ for something highly sought after. Not the case. First off, and I have said it before...there is NO ‘list’ - the ADs KNOW who those watches are going to. Secondly, even IF there was - the list would have an astronomical wait.

Another fallacy is that if you go throw a bunch of $$ around — someone will pop out of the ‘back’ with whichever reference you’re after. NOPE. Now can it happen in some places - sure, along with ‘package deals’- but most, no. Back to that customer/AD relationship. My AD has customers, and their families, and so on that have done business with them for 50 plus years. Why do they need to even attempt to fill an order that for all intensive purposes is already sold?

It’s all in the approach.

Just my .02

Pretty much spot on. My new AD was telling me how difficult it is - they get dozens of calls from people a day, many outside of the local area, all expressing interest in the same pieces (i.e. Hulk, BLNR, BLRO, Daytona, SkyD), which scares them off immediately. They don't add people who call to their lists for easier to get models like the Date/ND Subs, unless you're known to them, and prefer to leave them in the display case for locals who show up to have a chance to buy.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 03:58 AM   #41
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

They get calls ALL DAY long for the ‘hot references’ that sell themselves. Most ADs have long lists already of loyal patrons who support them over the years - and that loyalty goes both ways, sorry.

Having said that - is it impossible to get a ‘hot’ reference from one of these. Absolutely not, however most people just go about it the complete wrong way. Simply walking into or calling an AD and asking for a BLRO or Daytona or to get ‘waitlisted’- will get you exactly what one would expect - NOTHING. Going in, chatting building rapport showing interest in other things, or purchases....much better chance.

Sadly, people think that since ADs are ‘retail’ establishments, everyone should be able to just get on a ‘list’ for something highly sought after. Not the case. First off, and I have said it before...there is NO ‘list’ - the ADs KNOW who those watches are going to. Secondly, even IF there was - the list would have an astronomical wait.

Another fallacy is that if you go throw a bunch of $$ around — someone will pop out of the ‘back’ with whichever reference you’re after. NOPE. Now can it happen in some places - sure, along with ‘package deals’- but most, no. Back to that customer/AD relationship. My AD has customers, and their families, and so on that have done business with them for 50 plus years. Why do they need to even attempt to fill an order that for all intensive purposes is already sold?

Just my .02

Agree 100%!!!

Worked for me to get me white and black ceramic Daytona SS and the BLRO :thumbs: without too much effort
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:16 AM   #42
ejell
"TRF" Member

I am not too surprised with Hyde Park. I have made a few purchases there however I doubt I will get the call on anything I have requested.

It is a smaller place, but maybe Ben Bridge at Park Meadows. I have made a few purchases there and am always treated well including occasional calls regarding items I might want.
ejell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:24 AM   #43
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

I understand the frustration and trust me I experienced it myself too. However, have you considered not add your name to multiple wait lists of "several" watches which sounds to them that you are either a flipper (which they don't want) or that you are not sincere to buy a watch from them because you want to add to multiple lists? How about just add your name to 1 list or 2 (and be reasonable about which list) until you show that you are serious about it?

Also, another frustration on the AD end is that they really don't have that many unclaimed watches coming in. Say they agree to add you to Daytona list and that's like 100 people and they get about 2 watches a year, would you be more upset if they tell you it would take about 50 years?

I feel that you are a reasonable person so hopefully this puts it in a different perspective and you can approach them differently and get your watch soon.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:30 AM   #44
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Quote:
I didn't really take it personally. It was the rudeness I didn't like. They could have simply apologized for not being able to put me on a list and offered to show me their current stock. They treated me like a child asking for a toy.

No worries, my cash works other places.
Gotcha and understood. Sounds like that’s not a place to give any business to anyway. Hope you find an AD who will appreciate your future business.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:34 AM   #45
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

Not Rolex specific, had same thing happen to me at Patek and Audemars. Very frustrating for someone who’s spent good $ but is looking to diversify
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:37 AM   #46
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
I got a free glass of water on my last visit. It felt like I'd won the lottery.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:38 AM   #47
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Better to be told the truth than led on.
Old 22 January 2019, 04:39 AM   #48
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omx5o View Post
I got a free glass of water on my last visit. It felt like I'd won the lottery.

Got a chocolate chip cookie.....
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:50 AM   #49
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
AD Wouldn't Even Add Me to a List

My AD is a small dealer in a small town compared to the mega AD’d in big cities. That said they get far fewer of all the models including the popular SS sport models.

I started buying my first rolex from them, a 36mm SS DJ. Then a blue dial DJ2. Then an Exp2 at some point after that. Mix in an Omega Speedmaster, a Tag Monaco, 2 Nomos, about 4 Shinola watches and several leather pieces, a ring for my wife, a ring for me, a necklace for the daughter, another Nomos, 9 Tudors, 3 Archimede watches, 5 MontBlanc pens, a bunch of Victorinox stuff and a DSSD.

Never once have I gone in and said put me on the list (there isn’t one by the way) for a Daytona, a LVC and a SS SkyDweller. But if I did he would get me the watches.

The small ad’s that I have talked to generally have several desirable models in stock at any one time. But in the safe. Reluctant to put them out as they will sell anyhow to the regulars. If they are out in the display case they run the risk of someone coming in and just buying them all, flipping them and it getting back to Rolex who could take action against them. And if someone who is a stranger calls looking for one, ha!!!

I have been offered a Daytona, BLNR, LVC, Exp2 polar, Sub and ND Sub in the last 12 months. Only one that has tempted me is the 114060 as I don’t like the fat cases of the current model lineup. When asked about the Daytona I straight up told the AD that I would pass as I don’t think I could resist the urge to flip, make a bunch of money and buy a vintage BB TudorChrono. He appreciated my honesty and we went to lunch!!!

Walking in asking to be waitlisted on several popular SS sport watches is total flipper alert. And no AD wants to get caught in that trap right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:37 AM   #50
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post

Do you expect the sales person to read the OP's mind within a few sentences of conversation and come to the conclusion that OP was a watch enthusiast, when OP had 1) not bought a single watch from them and 2) asked to be placed on a wait list for several watches?
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:54 AM   #51
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
Do you expect the sales person to read the OP's mind within a few sentences of conversation and come to the conclusion that OP was a watch enthusiast, when OP had 1) not bought a single watch from them and 2) asked to be placed on a wait list for several watches?
Let me clarify. I wore a nice vintage Tudor piece that day in hopes of starting up a conversation with any like minded enthusiast that worked there. The responses from the sales staff seemed entirely auto generated.

I was browsing their current stock (100% professional models) and asked if they had any sports watches in stock.

Them: "No."

Me: "Could I get on the list for a few?" I alluded that there were several that I liked. I'm not a flipper, but of course I didn't utter those exact words...seems like something a flipper would say. ;)

Them: "Have you purchased anything with us before?"....etc.

You know the rest.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:56 AM   #52
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by seal13il View Post
Send an email to rolex corporation

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I wouldn’t bother.
Rolex won’t get involved
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:02 AM   #53
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
Trust me $ still speaks loudly. Try to place an order for a PM, you will get or be in a very short list for almost all SS models.
The only PM that interest me have "T<25" on the dial.
Old 22 January 2019, 07:58 AM   #54
Chilly Coconut
Banned

Quote:

Just my .02

Roger, I don’t think you’re wrong. But, it’s “for all intents and purposes”.
Chilly Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:27 AM   #55
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Coconut View Post
Roger, I don’t think you’re wrong. But, it’s “for all intents and purposes”.
Hey, at least he didn't say "piece of mind" like I always read on here... as in: I'd like to give the AD a piece of my mind, for my peace of mind.
Old 22 January 2019, 09:27 AM   #56
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let me clarify. I wore a nice vintage Tudor piece that day in hopes of starting up a conversation with any like minded enthusiast that worked there. The responses from the sales staff seemed entirely auto generated.

I was browsing their current stock (100% professional models) and asked if they had any sports watches in stock.

Them: "No."

Me: "Could I get on the list for a few?" I alluded that there were several that I liked. I'm not a flipper, but of course I didn't utter those exact words...seems like something a flipper would say. ;)

Them: "Have you purchased anything with us before?"....etc.

You know the rest.
what models did you ask to get on the list for?

Also, it sounds like you ran into a moron of a salesperson, which is not surprising since many sales people are completely incompetent nowadays. On the other hand, by being blunt, they likely saved you from getting your hopes up and thinking that eventually you'll get those watches you were asking about.

Some ADs have a bit more finesse when fielding this type of inquiries and either tell you there is a 5-10 yr waiting list for a particular model, OR their list is full, OR they take your information to the back, and then tell you there are 32 people in front of you but they will do everything they can to get you the watch although the chances are slim because last year they only got 3 in. Once you leave, they will promptly discard your info and go about their day.

Thankfully, we have a free market and those hard to get references are easily attainable at a premium from other sources for those that need to have them pronto. Otherwise, call around (~100-200 mile radius) and stop in to multiple ADs near you, let them know you're not kicking tires and what you're looking for. Let them know you're ready to buy and willing to put a deposit if needed. I would suggest not starting with asking for a DaytonaC or BLRO since those are unobtainium right now. SubDateC, BLNR, SubND, ExpII, and LV should be attainable with a few months lead time or less.

good luck.
lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 09:54 AM   #57
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
At my local place it seemed pretty clear that a DD would get me a Daytona combined with my previous spending. I might get the DD, but the Daytona isn’t my thing.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:00 AM   #58
Bobby83
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Last week when I called and asked about the Batman they said they couldn’t add anyone to the list anymore because they knew they couldn’t fulfill it.

Was also told in a nice way (paraphrasing here) that they take care of their “clients” first and asked if I had an AD I usually work with. When I said yes they said it’s prob best if you work with them...hopefully they remember you.

Bobby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:07 AM   #59
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
People forget that watch dealers are not there to provide a public service. They are a business with big overhead, and I imagine they get tired of tire kicking non-customers coming in acting like they are hot stuff because they are looking to buy a watch that 50 other “actual “ customers are willing to buy also.
I actually applaud their honesty. Would you have preferred they write down your name and throw it in the can when you leave?
Old 22 January 2019, 10:09 AM   #60
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post
what models did you ask to get on the list for?
I started at a Sub and also mentioned a GMT. I didn't drop the D word.