The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 January 2019, 10:10 AM   #61
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Which is why I said it’s all about the approach. If you go in, chat with an AD, build some rapport, etc...you have a much greater chance of getting what you want sooner vs. later as well as establishing the relationship.

It’s not all strictly about $$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree and this approach has served me very well over the years.

I’m NOT a big spender by measure of what I see here on this forum, but my AD knows I have a passion for the brand. When I want a certain reference they have always been accommodating.

Whenever I’m in town, I make an effort to stop in and say hello. We talk about a lot of stuff, not just watches. Ive come to know about his family, his personal interests and I’ve shared the same with him. I guess you could say we’re friends.

The good old fashioned personal approach will serve you well. Be yourself and show genuine interest. It goes a lot further than throwing money around IMO
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:25 AM   #62
Muxi
"TRF" Member

I think some markets are just not used to frank, sometimes tactless behavior from sales people. In Hong Kong in the early 90s that is like more the rule than the exception. That was even at a time when there was no shortage or hype (at unprecedented levels today).

Let’s not even talk about the bait-and-switch or the outright attempts to cheat you. It was normal to hear words in HK like “this is the last price, buy it now or leave and never come back!”

Thus, one develops good relationships with certain shops and just buy from them.

Why then was HK sales people that straightforward and rude? Some are really just rude, for others it is probably a sales tactic, but others may have been just sick of customers antics, indecisiveness, perhaps other buyers trying to put one over them too.

In the end, the market environment in HK consists of an endless stream of tourists who visit, stay for 3 days then go, only to be replaced by thousand more the following day.

It was normal to see some foreign tourists picket the outside of a store decrying that the store cheated them. And even then the stores didn’t care. After 3 days, the angry customer leaves and it all starts again.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:35 AM   #63
greeneyedguy
Banned

I got offered a Hulk today and a BLNR in November! Turned them both down! Buy a couple of watches if you want to get on a list!
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:39 AM   #64
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
People forget that watch dealers are not there to provide a public service. They are a business with big overhead, and I imagine they get tired of tire kicking non-customers coming in acting like they are hot stuff because they are looking to buy a watch that 50 other “actual “ customers are willing to buy also.

I actually applaud their honesty. Would you have preferred they write down your name and throw it in the can when you leave?

Not a very sound way to operate especially long term . Sure now they can act like diks and throw your name away because they can but make it 2008 all over again and their mindset would shift . Maybe they just maximize profit today and worry about tomorrow later but for customers that are looking to build a rapport w said ad by starting w a popular ss model purchase and being told to F off is kissing good bye to a possible future of more sales.
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 11:23 AM   #65
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
Not a very sound way to operate especially long term . Sure now they can act like diks and throw your name away because they can but make it 2008 all over again and their mindset would shift . Maybe they just maximize profit today and worry about tomorrow later but for customers that are looking to build a rapport w said ad by starting w a popular ss model purchase and being told to F off is kissing good bye to a possible future of more sales.
I don’t disagree, but I can only imagine how frustrating it must be every day answering the questions “do you have a ss Daytona, how about Pepsi? Please call when you do”
99% of these people aren’t going to ever buy anything from these places and they know it.
Old 22 January 2019, 11:25 AM   #66
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
I don’t disagree, but I can only imagine how frustrating it must be every day answering the questions “do you have a ss Daytona, how about Pepsi? Please call when you do”
99% of these people aren’t going to ever buy anything from these places and they know it.
And I was willing to buy...they'll just never know it.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 11:41 AM   #67
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
To play devil's advocate, if it's 2008 all over again, then those who are not big spenders currently probably won't be spending money anyways. For the "rich" with the disposable income, they will still buy even when it's 2008 again.

It sucks to be the receiving end when someone just starts to build a relationship with the AD but if anyone is serious and not always try to only save money/time, I'm sure most ADs are willing to reciprocate.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 11:45 AM   #68
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post

^this
Old 22 January 2019, 11:52 AM   #69
Big Green
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/116500LN/APRO
Quote:
Yes it was Hyde Park! My wife and I used to browse all the time. "Would you like some bottled water. Let me get her ring cleaned." That's how we used to be treated there; they just never had the piece I was looking for so never bought. I was on the list for a D-Blue, but ended up buying one online as Hyde never had one (that I knew of).

I did just score a fully stickered 2017 black dial 116660 online. I almost want to bring it in and ask how to remove the stickers haha.

Hyde Park has another store in Newport Beach, where the home office of my company is located as well. I bought an AP Royal Oak from them last Feb. I asked to be placed on the waitlist for a Daytona, they said they would. He said reach back after the first of the year. I did... and was told I’d have to buy a couple more watches before I was taken seriously.
Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 11:53 AM   #70
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can only imagine how frustrating it must be every day answering the questions “do you have a ss Daytona, how about Pepsi? Please call when you do”

I would call that, hum, let me think , their job ...
Old 22 January 2019, 11:54 AM   #71
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I stopped my my local AD this weekend. I asked to placed on a wait list for several watches.

"Have you purchased anything with us before? No? Sorry, we can't add you to any lists."

My $ was literally no good there.
Wow. Sucks. What watch were you wearing?
Old 22 January 2019, 12:00 PM   #72
Jgrink
"TRF" Member

Early last year (having no idea of the supply/demand situation) I marched into the local AD and asked to see an Explorer, Sub, and GMT-then I got educated. They had none, of course, so I asked about getting on a list for the Sub. “Here, put $500 on this card,” which she did. 2 weeks later I had the watch. I sold some tough-to-get cars for a while, which had waiting lists. And everyone on those lists had $$ down. Show them you’re serious and rise above the crowd; show ‘em the money.
Jgrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:19 PM   #73
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
“Show ‘em the money” has not worked for me so far.
Maybe I am in an area with a lot more high rollers.

I offered to pay in full and wait.
They can keep box / papers etc... still no luck.
I bought 3 Rolex from them (Sub + 2 x DJs)

They just tell me I am a small fish and they will not sell me BLNR, BLRO, Hulk, SD or Daytona. I’ll just wait for this madness to be over and try again.
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:47 PM   #74
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Willing to buy what everyone else was willing to buy. They might have missed out on a real customer with you, but they don’t need more people to buy the hot stuff. They want people who will also buy day dates, tennis bracelets, etc
I see both sides here
Old 22 January 2019, 12:53 PM   #75
Jimmy Jam Jam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bleu/Noir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxi View Post
I think some markets are just not used to frank, sometimes tactless behavior from sales people. In Hong Kong in the early 90s that is like more the rule than the exception. That was even at a time when there was no shortage or hype (at unprecedented levels today).

Let’s not even talk about the bait-and-switch or the outright attempts to cheat you. It was normal to hear words in HK like “this is the last price, buy it now or leave and never come back!”

Thus, one develops good relationships with certain shops and just buy from them.

Why then was HK sales people that straightforward and rude? Some are really just rude, for others it is probably a sales tactic, but others may have been just sick of customers antics, indecisiveness, perhaps other buyers trying to put one over them too.

In the end, the market environment in HK consists of an endless stream of tourists who visit, stay for 3 days then go, only to be replaced by thousand more the following day.

It was normal to see some foreign tourists picket the outside of a store decrying that the store cheated them. And even then the stores didn’t care. After 3 days, the angry customer leaves and it all starts again.
This is very true too about sales associates in HK, i had to ask a friend to ask about the sky dweller, i never asked before so i just called up a few and the first call was its a 10 year list and they put the phone down, second person, took a DEEEEEEP breath and said 5 years then i could only answer thank you very much for your time and put the phone down, at first it thought it was peculiar but then thinking about it deeply, how many people would;'ve asked them the same thing over and over again on a daily basis its understandable.
they probably had enough

when i picked up my BLNR i ended up having a really good laugh with all 5 of the staff there like i mean fully cracking up at the stuff i was saying (did nearly spit my water out at one point (thats just me im quite the person who loves to have a laugh with absolutely anyone) and i guess that gave me a good ice breaker and for future purchases they were willing to try their best to help, as i understand they have a job to do too if they cant put me on lists then its ok,

building the relationship with anything you do really helps, may not get you where you want instantly but its a very good start
Jimmy Jam Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:54 PM   #76
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would call that, hum, let me think , their job ...
Right, and it sounds like they did their job, they answered. I think we all unreasonably expect them to fall at our feet.
“Wow, really sir? You mean you will buy a Daytona and a BLRO for msrp? Geez sir, let me get your number and name right away!
My AD has 58 people currently on the Daytona white dial “list”, and they are all “customers”. Could they have been real nice and taken his name...sure, but they weren’t going to call anyways so what’s the point?
I like how Ferrari and Porsche do it...when they release a special car they hand select who gets to buy it. This way, the average Joe isn’t mislead into believing they just might get that call! I knew My Cayman wasn’t going to get me a 911R, so I didn’t even waste time calling around.
Old 22 January 2019, 01:06 PM   #77
seal13il
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC
Quote:
Right, and it sounds like they did their job, they answered. I think we all unreasonably expect them to fall at our feet.
“Wow, really sir? You mean you will buy a Daytona and a BLRO for msrp? Geez sir, let me get your number and name right away!
My AD has 58 people currently on the Daytona white dial “list”, and they are all “customers”. Could they have been real nice and taken his name...sure, but they weren’t going to call anyways so what’s the point?
I like how Ferrari and Porsche do it...when they release a special car they hand select who gets to buy it. This way, the average Joe isn’t mislead into believing they just might get that call! I knew My Cayman wasn’t going to get me a 911R, so I didn’t even waste time calling around.
I do believe it's also about building personal relationships and maintaining them, I probably spent circa of 150k with my AD in past years, when I went in asking on BLNR and blue Sky dweller he told me they dont take deposits no more per Rolexes new guidelines, he has me on his radar but he also.knows I dont pay MSRP, so.im ok with him making his money when he can....but when the hype will die....who will he count on? Slow and steady or the....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
seal13il is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:10 PM   #78
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Here we go again.....At the end of the day what do you expect ADs to do?
Um...I expect the AD to be polite, respectful and professional. Doesn’t cost anything to treat people decently. Especially customers. They don’t have to put you on a list but they can be courteous and humble when turning down a request.
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:10 PM   #79
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
You won't get the watch you want by making phone calls and joining "lists". Need to think outside the box, start by establishing relationships, if it's all too much go grey.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:14 PM   #80
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
You won't get the watch you want by making phone calls and joining "lists". Need to think outside the box, start by establishing relationships, if it's all too much go grey.

Start baking cookies and making rounds
Old 22 January 2019, 01:16 PM   #81
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Um...I expect the AD to be polite, respectful and professional. Doesn’t cost anything to treat people decently. Especially customers. They don’t have to put you on a list but they can be courteous and humble when turning down a request.

No one said anyone was rude or unprofessional.

You should read the rest of the post.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:19 PM   #82
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
No one said anyone was rude or unprofessional.

You should read the rest of the post.

The OP posted this:

“I didn't really take it personally. It was the rudeness I didn't like. They could have simply apologized for not being able to put me on a list and offered to show me their current stock. They treated me like a child asking for a toy.”
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:22 PM   #83
Maverick_1908
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Yes it was Hyde Park! My wife and I used to browse all the time. "Would you like some bottled water. Let me get her ring cleaned." That's how we used to be treated there; they just never had the piece I was looking for so never bought. I was on the list for a D-Blue, but ended up buying one online as Hyde never had one (that I knew of).

I did just score a fully stickered 2017 black dial 116660 online. I almost want to bring it in and ask how to remove the stickers haha.

Do it!

Maverick_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:26 PM   #84
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
AD Wouldn't Even Add Me to a List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
The OP posted this:

“I didn't really take it personally. It was the rudeness I didn't like. They could have simply apologized for not being able to put me on a list and offered to show me their current stock. They treated me like a child asking for a toy.”

Missed that.

No reason to be rude for sure - regardless.

My response was to the initial post.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:37 PM   #85
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Anyone remember the movie, Catch 22? Well this is one of those. If you want the watch you can't have it but if you don't want it you can buy as many as you'd like. The OP's money is good, just not for what he wants to spend it on.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 03:16 PM   #86
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Not a good time to buy a Rolex, now you need Rolex more than they need you. After the new year I visited a few ADs in Southern California and most of the shelves were emptied, I didn't bother ask for any Rolex...But got the free Rolex magazines to keep the dream alive LOL
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:10 PM   #87
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Not a good time to buy a Rolex, now you need Rolex more than they need you. After the new year I visited a few ADs in Southern California and most of the shelves were emptied, I didn't bother ask for any Rolex...But got the free Rolex magazines to keep the dream alive LOL
It's a good time to try other brands, some for great prices!
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:51 PM   #88
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
flipper behavior regardless if you are or not. Its a bad strategy to carpet bomb WL's and especially so if the AD doesnt know you

Secondly, if people have purchased before should they get priority? i say yes. In any case there is probably too many already waiting and they dont want to waste your time. I would rather they say no vs humor me and make me think i may get a phone call at some point when i wont.

I’m with you on this. I’ve read so many posts on here from people that have previously bought from greys to save money (back in the day when that was possible!) whilst I was paying full price from my AD to build a relationship, and yet now the greys are more expensive, they expect AD’s to welcome them with open arms and give them the same priority as people that were loyal back in the day.

I’m not suggesting the OP has a grey history, but generally speaking AD’s are right to prioritise loyal customers in my view (of course I’m biased) and in addition there is of course the flipper consideration if they don’t know you.

Try buying a Ferrari 488 Pista from a Ferrari dealer if you’ve not bought a few Ferrari’s before! This is the way that high demand luxury goods work.

And I speak of someone that had to wait a long time to get a Nautilus because my local Rolex AD doesn’t sell Patek, but I was fine with that. And frankly, had it not been for a fellow forum member, there is no way I would have managed to get one, and even then, I’m not sure I’d have managed to seal the deal if the Patek AD hadn’t recognised me as a genuine enthusiast (I was wearing my 116500 for the ‘interview’ and he knew my AD who were happy to vouch for me).

There are some bad AD’s out there, and I’m not in favour of them initiating on ‘Bundle’ deals, but prioritising loyal customers in times of high demand, I’m fully supportive of.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:52 PM   #89
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLM3 View Post
RHIII just nailed it
Not entirely, but I'd estimate it's somewhere between 90 and 95% right.

Lists do indeed exist with dealers and boutiques largely free to administer the list how they see fit.
I have seen this myself with clearly delineated differences over a very long period of time. I have had to deal with the changes as and when they occured regardless of scope, and it did indeed come down to the approach every time.
Additionally, It's always required constant management of the situation. As well as a reasonable amount of luck.
Then we also make our own luck as well.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:32 PM   #90
watchmaker
TechXpert

I’m not singling out the OP here but is it not time we all move on from AD bashing and ‘my money’s not good enough here’ chat? . It’s a such a first world problem to not get to buy a $10k toy just because you are an ‘enthusiast, not a flipper’...Not always two different creatures by the way!

Don’t take it personally if a sales person on minimum wage doesn’t make you feel like a VVIP when you’ve never set foot in their shop and you’re the 143 person that week asking for a BLNR. If they could sell you one, they would. Move on and try somewhere else or better yet consider one of the thousands of other beautiful watches out there.

The Rolex bubble won’t last like this forever so just be patient, and don’t whine when you don’t get what you want.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote