The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23 January 2019, 06:20 AM   #1
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
Youtuber calls "Milgauss the Worst watch ever made" (but it was all a joke)

Have you seen this one? Maybe this has been discussed already?

Either way this is a good example how the bloggers and Youtubers are trying to get views with negativity and controversial sh*t. Archie is another good example... most of his videos are crap.

Technically great video, gorgeous shots of a very, very nice watch.

Hey, I wouldn't buy a Milgauss because I'm a 5-digit guy through and through but I'm the first one to admit Milgauss is very nice looking watch and quite unique too... with that green crystal.

Yes its purpose is silly (antimagnetism, etc) but who really uses the GMT function or how many "cave dwellers" actually buy Explorer II's? This ancient technology is all a bit pretentious now... very few people probably even use the stopwatch in their chronographs or dive with their Sea-Dwellers or SuperOceans.

Rolex has even invented even more pretentious purposes for their models (like the YM2 or Sky Dweller) and dreadful diamond watches that even Liberace couldn't wear so why did he pick Milgauss? I don't understand.

How can this guy call it "the worst watch ever"? He has no real arguments. I'd understand the YM2 as most people think it's ugly. Milgauss is very nice looking.

Last edited by padi56; 23 January 2019 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: Link removed.
Old 23 January 2019, 06:24 AM   #2
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Color me confused. If you complain because the review is about getting views, why post about it and link to the review? By the way I did not click on the link.
Old 23 January 2019, 06:28 AM   #3
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Who cares what some nobody says about a watch?
Old 23 January 2019, 06:28 AM   #4
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
Color me confused. If you complain because the review is about getting views, why post about it and link to the review? By the way I did not click on the link.
Maybe just to demonstrate and create a discussion about what's the problem with Youtube generally. You get people who don't really have a clue what they are talking about let alone a modicum of basic intelligence broadcasting and yet this video actually has 120K hits. More misinformation polluting the internet social media platform. Like it or not, YouTube and social media are major players in the watch community now.
Old 23 January 2019, 06:32 AM   #5
james.l
"TRF" Member

So bad they sell it above retail

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Old 23 January 2019, 06:36 AM   #6
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Youtuber calls "Milgauss the Worst watch ever made"

Pretty disappointing from watchfinder to be honest. I do however love the milgauss because it’s one of the most, if not the most controversial watch in their line of SS. I love an underdog that gets people talking. One of the main reasons I purchased mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 January 2019, 06:37 AM   #7
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
He’s entitled to an opinion
Old 23 January 2019, 06:37 AM   #8
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP. View Post
How can this guy call it "the worst watch ever"? He has no real arguments. I'd understand the YM2 as most people think it's ugly. Milgauss is very nice looking.
It's interesting to me how you critique someone for being critical of one watch then in the next sentence are critical of the YM2.
Old 23 January 2019, 06:38 AM   #9
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Watchfinder is notoriously bad about creating both misleading and clickbait titles for their videos. I feel like they offered some legitimate criticisms of the Milgauss, some of which I share myself, but the idea that anything is "the worst watch ever" is absurd.
Old 23 January 2019, 06:40 AM   #10
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
It's interesting to me how you critique someone for being critical of one watch then in the next sentence are critical of the YM2.
Where? Please re-read what I actually said.

I said that many people consider it ugly which is a fact. It has been very controversial model since the day one. I wasn't being critical of the YM2 anywhere.

I didn't understand why he picked up the Milgauss (of all models) which has never been a controversial model (styling wise).
Old 23 January 2019, 06:42 AM   #11
rgwarden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
I think it’s tosh. The opinion, not the watch. I’m no massive Milgauss fan but last summer I saw my first one in the flesh and it looked good. The guy wore it well, and loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 January 2019, 06:42 AM   #12
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe just to demonstrate and create a discussion about what's the problem with Youtube generally. You get people who don't really have a clue what they are talking about
People not having a clue what they are taking about seems to be a general problem......
Old 23 January 2019, 06:44 AM   #13
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Where? Please re-read what I actually said.

I said that many people consider it ugly which is a fact. It has been very controversial model since the day one.

I didn't understand why he picked up the Milgauss which has never been a controversial model (styling wise).
looks are subjective and saying "many people consider it ugly" is not a fact, it is your perception. Facts have evidence and are easily discernible or referenced. If there were a poll and there was some sort of concrete definition of "many" perhaps it could be considered a fact. At this point to me I would guess the YMII, MG, and AK are all likely as "polarizing" where some may like them and some may not. ( I believe there has been critique of the MG second hand, which you seem to ignore or not aware of.) FWIW I like all rolexes.
Old 23 January 2019, 06:45 AM   #14
mangoseed
Banned

It is just clickbait.
Old 23 January 2019, 07:12 AM   #15
AK DeepSea
Banned

Who’s cares.

I think it’s really quite ugly.
Old 23 January 2019, 07:15 AM   #16
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Have you seen this one? Maybe this has been discussed already?

Either way this is a good example how the bloggers and Youtubers are trying to get views with negativity and controversial sh*t. Archie is another good example... most of his videos are crap.

Technically great video, gorgeous shots of a very, very nice watch.

Hey, I wouldn't buy a Milgauss because I'm a 5-digit guy through and through but I'm the first one to admit Milgauss is very nice looking watch and quite unique too... with that green crystal.

Yes its purpose is silly (antimagnetism, etc) but who really uses the GMT function or how many "cave dwellers" actually buy Explorer II's? This ancient technology is all a bit pretentious now... very few people probably even use the stopwatch in their chronographs or dive with their Sea-Dwellers or SuperOceans.

Rolex has even invented even more pretentious purposes for their models (like the YM2 or Sky Dweller) and dreadful diamond watches that even Liberace couldn't wear so why did he pick Milgauss? I don't understand.

Did you actually watch it all the way though to the end and his conclusions.
Old 23 January 2019, 07:34 AM   #17
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Macdermott View Post
I admit that at first I didn't... but I watched the ending later... either way, he trolls for views with controversy and making as provocative title as possible... then in the end he just says it was all joke.

It was all about whoring for views and clicks. Very cleverly done. The point is that I wasn't complaining about _that_ at all.
I'm just interested of the phenomenon. Archie for example. The guy is mostly drunk all the time, he's sweaty, curses a lot and doesn't really know much about the watches he's complaining about... yet he has a lot of views and followers.

The phenomenon is interesting. Archie is the Doug DeMuro of watches and this type of negativity creates big audiences.
Old 23 January 2019, 07:35 AM   #18
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Macdermott View Post
Exactly! Seems most people commenting here either didn't watch to the end, or didn't understand the intent. I thought it was kind of a silly video, but that aside he makes it clear by the end that he doesnt actually think the Milgauss is the worst watch ever made. He is basically saying that it is more than the sum of its parts, and that this hobby in general is highly subjective, and not based in reason/practicality.
Old 23 January 2019, 07:37 AM   #19
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
I admit that at first I did... but I watched the ending later... either way, he trolls for views with controversy and making as provocative title as possible... then in the end he just says it was all joke.

It was all about whoring for views and clicks. Very cleverly done. The point is that I wasn't complaining about _that_ at all.
I'm just interested of the phenomenon. Archie for example. The guy is mostly drunk all the time, he's sweaty, curses a lot... yet he has a lot of views and followers.

The phenomenon is interesting. Archie is the Doug DeMuro of watches and this type of negativity creates big audiences.
I will agree about that foul mouthed tool Archie.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
Old 23 January 2019, 07:41 AM   #20
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUr5q7HuhdI
Quote:
The point is that I wasn't complaining about _that_ at all.
Don't mean to call you out, but it kinda does seem like you were complaining about that...
Old 23 January 2019, 07:50 AM   #21
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largoshark View Post
Don't mean to call you out, but it kinda does seem like you were complaining about that...
People like Archie and Doug DeMuro (in the car world) are considered as "authorities" and they get millions of views. Yes, it's kinda sad. Doug has made some very stupid videos about classic cars. He apparently didn't have a slightest clue what he was talking about when he reviewed Jaguar XJS and Porsche 928 GTS, for example.

WatchFinder has never done a clickbait like this before. They even got me fooled (because I was too pissed off to watch it til' the end). Edited the topic title BTW.

But not really complaining. Just stating the facts. This is the modern internet and I can live with it.
Old 23 January 2019, 07:52 AM   #22
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
Who cares what some nobody says about a watch?
Not me. That's for sure.
Old 23 January 2019, 07:56 AM   #23
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I enjoyed Mr Luxury's armour plated vehicle tour of bomb ravaged Birmingham. I fell off my chair several times. You could get angry about this kind of wanton twaddle but why bother? If he's talking crap about something I know about, then he's talking crap, period. Doesn't mean it isn't hilarious.
Old 23 January 2019, 08:00 AM   #24
JP.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I enjoyed Mr Luxury's armour plated vehicle tour of bomb ravaged Birmingham. I fell off my chair several times. You could get angry about this kind of wanton twaddle but why bother? If he's talking crap about something I know about, then he's talking crap, period. Doesn't mean it isn't hilarious.
Sometimes I watch Archie's videos too. I also like to watch car crash videos occasionally.
Old 23 January 2019, 08:00 AM   #25
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I thought it's a pretty cool watch
Old 23 January 2019, 08:02 AM   #26
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I passed on viewing the video.

My GV is just fine thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00997r.jpg (266.5 KB, 802 views)

Old 23 January 2019, 08:10 AM   #27
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Good one.
Old 23 January 2019, 08:30 AM   #28
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Worst watch?... no..... Worst in the Rolex lineup.... maybe
Old 23 January 2019, 08:31 AM   #29
Anthon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Gentlemen, this is one of the best Milgauss reviews ever, or of any other watch in fact. And as others have stated, the guy is totally right in his conclusion at the end of the video.
Old 23 January 2019, 08:37 AM   #30
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Never understood the bad press this watch gets, I really like it...now there is one watch Rolex makes that makes me want to vomit, but this is not it
Closed Thread