The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 April 2019, 10:58 PM   #31
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I prefer the daytona
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 06:19 PM   #32
kitsgq
"TRF" Member

5164. And the blue strap is perfect on it.

Now post this question on the Rolex forum and see what the reply is.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
kitsgq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 08:54 PM   #33
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

5164 on blue strap all day long!

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 CLT-L09 發送
wlchuccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 09:32 PM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I was just looking on ebay and some of the blue ones for sale look more blue than the dark blue of the 5650's which I like. I'm quite tempted to try one out as OEM looks near impossible to source.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 09:51 PM   #35
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I was just looking on ebay and some of the blue ones for sale look more blue than the dark blue of the 5650's which I like. I'm quite tempted to try one out as OEM looks near impossible to source.
Yep, I’ve been shot down from my AD
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 07:31 AM   #36
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

I have both, and probably give the slight edge to the 5164. The Daytona is more comfortable and robust, but the 5164 is the best under the radar travel watch. Nobody knows what you are wearing, which can be a real advantage when traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 02:53 PM   #37
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
I own a 5164R and a 116655... have to give the edge to 116655 as it feels more comfortable.

WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 09:01 PM   #38
Seaborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
To me, aquanauts usually look like hell in pictures. But, this piece looks very attractive.

Tough call, but I’d go Daytona.
Seaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 09:32 PM   #39
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Nice duo both look great!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 01:17 AM   #40
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
116655 for me

5164 is a cool watch. But to be honest for me the concept of the 5164 is a lie,
why?
well is a travel time so in theory is a watch you take when you travel. if you traveling to the ocean to Cali or if you want to go Washington DC museums with the kids, Family trip to Disney , a cruise etc.
And in my wrist I wouldn't take take that watch to none of the above.
Good thing you don't have to agree with me because my statement is based on how the watch behaves on my wrist and my concerns of whats acceptable for wear marks/scratches.
All very personal

Cheers

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 01:24 AM   #41
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
116655 for me

5164 is a cool watch. But to be honest for me the concept of the 5164 is a lie,
why?
well is a travel time so in theory is a watch you take when you travel. if you traveling to the ocean to Cali or if you want to go Washington DC museums with the kids, Family trip to Disney , a cruise etc.
And in my wrist I wouldn't take take that watch to none of the above.
Good thing you don't have to agree with me because my statement is based on how the watch behaves on my wrist and my concerns of whats acceptable for wear marks/scratches.
All very personal

Cheers
Jorge as an AP bezel polish is only £200 I imagine PP is pretty similar and then you can have it polished every year so not a big deal then. Mine has a few marks now and I'm thinking of having it polished, but just hoping a polish turnaround would only be a month or two, AP would be quick as we know.
Old 19 April 2019, 01:25 AM   #42
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Yep, I’ve been shot down from my AD
Found an AD who thinks he can get me one, we'll see...
Old 19 April 2019, 01:42 AM   #43
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Jorge as an AP polish is only £200 I imagine PP is pretty similar and then you can have it polished every year so not a big deal then. Mine has a few marks now and I'm thinking of having it polished, but just hoping a polish turnaround would only be a month or two, AP would be quick as we know.

I done that for a patek Neil , turn around wasn’t bad and price is about what you pay for AP. (Needless to say that Patek is gone). The problem is that personally I don’t buy a watch to get additional problems, like worrying about this polish situation because is not only about the money , you have to worry about mailing the watch make sure it’s insured , paying money extra for patek, then track it when it comes back. When finally comes back, you say to yourself I am gonna be extra careful and soon enough, 2 months later you noticed something on the bezel and bothers you but you can’t keep sending the watch; then maybe one time a year is enough but then you worry of how many times it’s on the limits of safety.
You see my point !
I put my money in a watch that gives me joy not headaches. But like I said this is me , I don’t feel ok with putting marks/scratches that you can see everyday on your $40k watch and now costs even more. This doesn’t happen with other watches, because on other watches you really have to look hard for those normal swirls that happen , is supposed to happen is normal , but the problem “ I have” is that when this swirls are on the bezel is on your face every time you glance at your watch. A different Animal.
The only way these kind of watches could work for me is if I wear them once a week and not in traveling situations for sure. More like a museum piece , lol , not for me .

Cheers bro

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 02:26 AM   #44
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Both watches are fantastic!

Old 19 April 2019, 03:10 AM   #45
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
I done that for a patek Neil , turn around wasn’t bad and price is about what you pay for AP. (Needless to say that Patek is gone). The problem is that personally I don’t buy a watch to get additional problems, like worrying about this polish situation because is not only about the money , you have to worry about mailing the watch make sure it’s insured , paying money extra for patek, then track it when it comes back. When finally comes back, you say to yourself I am gonna be extra careful and soon enough, 2 months later you noticed something on the bezel and bothers you but you can’t keep sending the watch; then maybe one time a year is enough but then you worry of how many times it’s on the limits of safety.
You see my point !
I put my money in a watch that gives me joy not headaches. But like I said this is me , I don’t feel ok with putting marks/scratches that you can see everyday on your $40k watch and now costs even more. This doesn’t happen with other watches, because on other watches you really have to look hard for those normal swirls that happen , is supposed to happen is normal , but the problem “ I have” is that when this swirls are on the bezel is on your face every time you glance at your watch. A different Animal.
The only way these kind of watches could work for me is if I wear them once a week and not in traveling situations for sure. More like a museum piece , lol , not for me .

Cheers bro

I hear you - one reason why my 3998P is getting much more wrist time than my 5711/1A is that I don't want to get the Nautilus banged up. For me there is no grey - either a Nautilus is near perfect or it is beaten up - both look good but I couldn't have anything in between (and I am not ready to get it beat up). If in doubt I will leave the Pateks at home and resort to the IWC Mark XV that I have been beating for 20 years.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 02:32 AM   #46
T3F
"TRF" Member

For those that have both of these, do you find you prefer one to the other or think that they're too similar? I bought the Daytona then got the Aquanaut a week later, which was way earlier than expected. I've been wearing the Aquanaut and it's definitely not going anywhere, but I still haven't brought myself to de-sticker the Daytona because I'm afraid there's too much overlap. I also have both steel Daytonas... On the other hand, people seem to love the 1166519 so maybe I should give it a shot?

Thanks everyone!
Old 31 May 2019, 05:24 AM   #47
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3F View Post
For those that have both of these, do you find you prefer one to the other or think that they're too similar? I bought the Daytona then got the Aquanaut a week later, which was way earlier than expected. I've been wearing the Aquanaut and it's definitely not going anywhere, but I still haven't brought myself to de-sticker the Daytona because I'm afraid there's too much overlap. I also have both steel Daytonas... On the other hand, people seem to love the 1166519 so maybe I should give it a shot?

Thanks everyone!
I'd sell one of the SS Daytonas.
Old 1 June 2019, 12:12 AM   #48
Roleplay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b. View Post
5164 for me. I prefer the look of a metal bracelet on Daytonas, plus the composite and comfort of Patek's tropical strap is perfection.
I quite prefer the Oysterflex to PP's rubber strap, it is a lot more comfortable.
Roleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 03:24 AM   #49
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soly20 View Post
Patek, 5164 by far.
Its not even close. The Rolex has nominal finishing at best and a relatively basic movement.

The Patek can be a one watch collection but the Rolex, being only a stopwatch, would leave one wanting more.
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 03:24 AM   #50
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soly20 View Post
That is what I thought he was saying. Anyway, still like the 5164 and have no "feelings" towards the Daytona (I know I am among the minorities in this world).
I'm glad i'm not alone
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote