The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 January 2018, 05:49 PM   #1
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
To consolidate, or not to consolidate?

I've been reading how members have been consolidating and I also have been thinking the same.

Stopped by the bank today and took a quick pic. In an ideal world I would rotate on a regular basis, but I just don't make the effort to frequent the bank, and will end up wearing the same watch for months on end. I started out as a one watch owner, but this forum is like an all-you-can-eat buffet, and then started "collecting" but I dont think I'm a collector at heart.

Every time I think I'm going to depart with one of these watches, I then have a hard time...but I'm coming around. Lately I've been thinking of selling a couple to fund a PM piece, but then not sure if thats real prudent, as you can see they're all out of production, and additionally all are full sets except for the bart and speedy (145.022-69).

Oh, and extra vintage bezel inserts, and bracelets not pictured. geez. lol.

Anyone have similar story as to how it pains them to see their beauties squirreled away? 

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 05:57 PM   #2
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

I have no likewise experience but I do not collect either nor have a collector’s heart. Good insightful observation that you are not a “real” collector after all.

Speedy and Pepsi look real cool though, hard to let these go.

In your situation I would let go of several watches and get a killer PM.

1 Watch guy
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 06:51 PM   #3
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
I've been reading how members have been consolidating and I also have been thinking the same.

Stopped by the bank today and took a quick pic. In an ideal world I would rotate on a regular basis, but I just don't make the effort to frequent the bank, and will end up wearing the same watch for months on end. I started out as a one watch owner, but this forum is like an all-you-can-eat buffet, and then started "collecting" but I dont think I'm a collector at heart.

Every time I think I'm going to depart with one of these watches, I then have a hard time...but I'm coming around. Lately I've been thinking of selling a couple to fund a PM piece, but then not sure if thats real prudent, as you can see they're all out of production, and additionally all are full sets except for the bart and speedy (145.022-69).

Anyone have similar story as to how it pains them to see their beauties squirreled away? 

Wow! What a fantastic collection!
I don't know much about vintage really, but even I know that red liner is a special piece.
The GMT looks very nice as well.
Can I just ask is it really necessary to keep all your watches, bar the one your wearing, at the bank?
I appreciate for security reasons and all but can't you keep them in a safe at home?
At least that way you would have 24 access.
Anyway, back to your dilemer, It really is difficult for anyone else to call because honestly I think 99% of people looking at your watches will be thinking Man! I would love to have ALL those in my collection!
It's a tough one for sure!
Recently, I have started to concentrate on quality over quantity.
I just have 4 main pieces left now, 2x Sub's, a Panerai & a Seamaster.
Although not huge by collector's around here's standards, it's enough for me right now...although I am on the list for an SD43...lol
If you want to release some cash then I appreciate your line of thinking, but if cash isn't the issue, it would be a shame to let them go as you have some extremely desirable pieces.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 06:56 PM   #4
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
My experience with other things in life has been.... if you end up with something better that you also like very much, you don’t miss the old thing you gave up for it as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 07:06 PM   #5
Woody
"TRF" Member

I have been having similar thoughts.....I wear my 1680 about 90% of the time so considering selling my other watches to fund a PM sports watch (probably a Daytona of some description) which I can then wear on a more regular basis (hopefully!!). Difficult decision but sometimes less is more and why own things that you don't use and enjoy......unless you are a collector which I am certainly not. Good luck and let us all know what you decide.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 07:09 PM   #6
duc888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
My experience with other things in life has been.... if you end up with something better that you also like very much, you don’t miss the old thing you gave up for it as much.
I agree with this and I have the feeling that you already know what you want...deep inside
duc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 07:13 PM   #7
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
I would never sell any of those for a PM period.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 07:37 PM   #8
LLmrol
"TRF" Member

Wouldnt sell them either. However, if id have to, id keep the three rolexes.
LLmrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 07:47 PM   #9
MATCH1969
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
Understand your concerns, even if I sold and bought many watches, always missed the one I don't have anymore !

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
MATCH1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 07:49 PM   #10
dave023
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classics
Beautiful watches, don’t sell...
dave023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 07:59 PM   #11
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Beautiful collection. But if you have to sell, then I would keep the 3 Rolex watches and sell the others.
Old 21 January 2018, 09:39 PM   #12
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
I'd keep the 5513 and 16710. One modern to do anything with and one killer vintage
Old 21 January 2018, 10:28 PM   #13
sdimi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Amazing set of watches or whatever the collective for watches is! Does anyone on TRF know the collective?

I completely agree with Swiss Mad! You have some special pieces there. I would be inclined to come up with some secure storage that is more convenient so you can rotate and wear and enjoy them more.

I used to think of my watches as a collection and had accumulated quite a few pieces -
some of them vintage. Then I realised I only wore some of them frequently and that some of the vintage pieces were future liabilities if not cared for correctly. TRF is to blame but also the saviour of some of these watches as I sold them to fund the purchase of a more focused quality over quantity set. I have about 4 main pieces and a few ancillary ones for various occasions.

If you don't need the cash, don't sell, but I am all for selling lesser worn watches to fund a quality purchase. That being said, I still find myself looking at the classified ads for some of the pieces I sold that I might want to buy back! But if I buy back, they will be in even better condition than the ones I originally owned! Did this help!
sdimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 10:41 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
I’m with you brother
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 10:58 PM   #15
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
you cant replace any of those easy. no way am selling if i am you.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 11:02 PM   #16
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:

I've been considering pairing back my collection to primarily 4 Rolex, 4 Omegas, and 4 Tudors and perhaps a couple of others. I wouldn't sell any of your collection!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 11:07 PM   #17
Icehockeyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer ii
Quote:

I’d lose the Tudor Sub, the dateless Rolex, and the Speedy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Icehockeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 11:21 PM   #18
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Before I would sell, I would bring them home from the bank. If the issue is insurance, then get some. If the watches were readily available to you then you would possibly wear them in a better rotation. If you really wanted a PM you would have moved to make the deal and we would be seeing an incoming post. Your uncertainty makes me think that you do not want to go forward right now. That is good. When in doubt, don't.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 12:06 AM   #19
lhawli
"TRF" Member

To consolidate, or not to consolidate?

Keep the Speedy, GMT and Sub red.

Sell the rest and get a DJ or DayC. Not big on PM or TT but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 12:14 AM   #20
ugasbiggestfan
"TRF" Member

Beautiful lot for sure. You certainly know how to pick em! If you end up wanting to part with the Tudor sub, I’m in the market!
I’d have a hard time getting rid of any of those, but if you’re not wearing them or looking at them regularly, what’s the point in ownership?
ugasbiggestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 12:16 AM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post

Which PM piece?
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 12:31 AM   #22
Magwitch
Banned

I bought and sold quite a few watches. I rarely came out ahead, so now I am reluctant to sell. Some pieces don't get worn often, but it's nice to know they are there when I want to bring them out, and then I smile.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 12:42 AM   #23
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

Which PM piece?
isnt it obvious

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 12:44 AM   #24
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Don't consolidate IMHO. You don't have that many pieces and they're all different enough. I regret the only major consolidation I've ever done.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 12:51 AM   #25
LazySumday
"TRF" Member

Or, take them all home with you and find a place to stash them for more frequent rotations and start wearing them before you decide.

LazySumday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 12:54 AM   #26
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I consolidate from time to time, but when it comes to vintage sports Rolex, I no longer do so. I find that it is getting harder and harder to source pieces of a certain age complete and in excellent condition, at “reasonable” prices. Just my 2c.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 12:58 AM   #27
nello
"TRF" Member

Make an effort to wear each piece for two weeks. If you dont still love it, sell it.

nello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 01:02 AM   #28
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
Ditto.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 01:16 AM   #29
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazySumday View Post
Or, take them all home with you and find a place to stash them for more frequent rotations and start wearing them before you decide.
I agree. I think from what I read in your post that this is really where your issue lies.

Now, once you start wearing a piece and it doesn't bring you joy when you strap it on, that's a different story.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 01:18 AM   #30
christo4
"TRF" Member

Nice collection! I share your anguish as I recently expanded to four pieces against all the advice and anguish of my inner frugal self. In a two watch "collection" you can easily and frequently rotate (and justify the second piece) but my experience has been it is hard to work in ....a third! Nevertheless, now I'm at four: Ugh!

If there are real pressures to consolidate (wife, life challenges, etc...) then "nello's" advice sounds good to me. Otherwise, hold 'em all for now (beautiful bunch) and maybe "consolidate" for something more exotic sometime in (!) the (!) future (!). In the meantime, enjoy what you have and try not to add any more pieces!
christo4 is offline   Reply With Quote