The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 May 2021, 09:55 PM   #121
jason042779
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 18038
Apples and oranges. Brand prestige is no contest but I have to say that GS is closing the gap while Rolex is turning people off with artificial shortages. They might consider how that's going to work out long term. I'm interested in Rolex because I own them based off of conditions that no longer exist. If people new to the hobby never have the opportunity to own one how does Rolex maintain brand loyalty?
Old 30 May 2021, 10:50 PM   #122
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
How is Rolex creating artificial shortages? Are they obligated to build more watches based on demand? That’s not how luxury brand markets work. Any brand whose production exceeds demand becomes a commodity and a commodity is no longer a luxury.
Old 30 May 2021, 10:56 PM   #123
PJitz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
How is Rolex creating artificial shortages? Are they obligated to build more watches based on demand? That’s not how luxury brand markets work. Any brand whose production exceeds demand becomes a commodity and a commodity is no longer a luxury.

Spot on. The “artificial shortage” trope is so tiresome at this point
Old 31 May 2021, 02:21 AM   #124
Mifune
Banned

artificial shortage when making a million timepieces a year... surely you can't be serious.
Old 31 May 2021, 02:36 PM   #125
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
artificial shortage, real shortage, Rolex fault or ADs fault- it doesn't matter a jot. At the end of the day, the juice isn't worth the squeeze for many, especially when there are plenty of other great brands offering compelling alternatives that don't involve debasing yourself with/to an AD.

Quote:
Luxury being defined as "unobtainable" is just stupid.
Rolex was a "luxury" brand long before 2016. Being able to actually walk into a store and buy one after a pleasant interaction with an AD didn't make it less of a status symbol.

I can go into a Hermes store or a Gucci store or a Channel store now and buy things. Bentley- I can pick up one of those without having to bundle a couple of Audis. They're no less "luxury".
Luxury is quality, craftsmanship and refinement.
Old 31 May 2021, 03:11 PM   #126
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post

Luxury being defined as "unobtainable" is just stupid.
Rolex was a "luxury" brand long before 2016. Being able to actually walk into a store and buy one after a pleasant interaction with an AD didn't make it less of a status symbol.

I can go into a Hermes store or a Gucci store or a Channel store now and buy things. Bentley- I can pick up one of those without having to bundle a couple of Audis. They're no less "luxury".
Luxury is quality, craftsmanship and refinement.
Explain to us how greater availability worked out better for Panerai. Hermès or Bentley are somewhat self-regulated by their prices while retail on a Rolex stainless sports model can be quite reasonable if you can find someone to sell it to you for that. When demand outstrips supply then prices go up, it’s simple economics. It works for lumber just as it works for watches although people actually need lumber and no one needs an expensive watch, that is precisely what makes them a luxury. Not understanding this is just stupid.
Old 31 May 2021, 04:22 PM   #127
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Alright guys let's keep it friendly. This is the the amiable Seiko forum, not the Rolex/AP/PP forum.
Old 31 May 2021, 06:41 PM   #128
munichblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Alright guys let's keep it friendly. This is the the amiable Seiko forum, not the Rolex/AP/PP forum.
Old 31 May 2021, 09:04 PM   #129
Mike1234567
"TRF" Member

How does one define competition?

That should be the starting point of this discussion IMO.

I don't own watches as investments; heirlooms, yes, to wear, most definitely.

I have both GS and Rolex (and Omega) but for the same price point, I'd simply get the model that appeals to me and right now when looking at Rolex and GS, there are way more models that GS carries that make me smile.

So if looking at competition, for me, GS wins, quite simply because I enjoy the end product more.

My Rolex is easily one of my favorite watches to wear, but it's also one of the few Rolex's I would wear whereas I'd gladly wear almost any GS (save for their divers).

Make sense? Probably not, but then again, neither does spending what we do on watches :)

M

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Old 1 June 2021, 08:01 AM   #130
cajunron
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post
I wish I knew how to unsubscribe to this thread.

Being a Rolex, PP admirer of their products as best (an other), I find the GS discussion unnecessary. I know very snobby.

Seiko/Casio/Citizen in the 1970’s were a watches my dad would never wear, a quartz was for kids or ladies who would forget to wind up watches or wouldn’t take care of timepieces. He would have Tissot for us or my
mom for daily beater type watch, or even Timex.

I think brand has to deal a lot with like a watch, and design is key, and so it’s quality of movement, so a balance of those aspects is what’s important and that’s where Seiko comes at the bottom. Who wants to pay $ to have a Seiko brand that’s equivalent with low budget timepieces.

GS is a Seiko. It’s just doesn’t deserve much discussion in a Rolex Forum.

Next we might be talking about Michael Kors. Let get paid to promote it with other “influencers”.

I just don’t waste my hard earned money on Seiko. It doesn’t have style, it’s a styless brand.A waste of time —pun intended. Snobby yes. But buy what YOU like.

Let me tell you about MY dad. He was an Air Force veteran and New Orleans police officer who raised two sons and went to school at night to get his degree. He put my brother and I through Catholic schools because he wanted us to have a good education. And he could only DREAM of buying a Rolex. He bought me a Seiko watch when I graduated from high school and I still have it. It's not a Rolex, but he was proud to give it to me. I really like the Rolex brand, and maybe one day I'll own one. Even then I'll continue to wear Seiko.
Old 1 June 2021, 10:17 AM   #131
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Explain to us how greater availability worked out better for Panerai. Hermès or Bentley are somewhat self-regulated by their prices while retail on a Rolex stainless sports model can be quite reasonable if you can find someone to sell it to you for that. When demand outstrips supply then prices go up, it’s simple economics. It works for lumber just as it works for watches although people actually need lumber and no one needs an expensive watch, that is precisely what makes them a luxury. Not understanding this is just stupid.
Because some brands produce dogs, or watches that are dully repetitive , or fall out of popularity when the next "big" thing comes along.
However, Panerai not being popular with the instagram crowd or in high demand, doesn't make it any less a luxury product. Every luxury brand is to some extent exclusive because of price. Consumer demand, whether or not it outstrips supply, does not change the inherent nature of the item. My 2015 Rolex is no less or more luxury now in 2021 than it was when I bought it.
You'd have to be stupid not to understand that.