The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 April 2021, 08:48 AM   #31
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
I have owned both stainless steel models and a RG model on a strap. Sold them all. Moved up in size to watches that are 41 and 42 mm and was offered a SS model this weekend and passed based on its smaller size. I like continuity with the size of the watches in my collection and as I recall the actual size of the Daytona is around 38.6 mm, too small to be compatible with my current collection. I added the new Tudor Black Bay Chronograph instead and saved a ton of money at the same time.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 08:58 AM   #32
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
It's understandable and something that many have said even with the previous model. You are so fortunate to have tried it on to see, it's the irony of buying a watch today, I would bet that as much as 90% of buyers are buying a Rolex sight unseen, on that basis alone you cannot blame people for flipping watches.
Many have stated that it feels small and flimsy, it is small but prefer to say elegant over flimsy. People who wear watches like the Daytona, AP Royal 15xxx, Nautilus or Aquatimer and then put on a Deepsea are like what the hell is this hunk of metal, and from this thread we can see that inverse is also true.
I absolutely love that the Daytona is a small buttoned downed watch. Look at the success of watches like the 321 Ed White....it's the smallest of the Speedys but it's slimmer and smaller. These two watches are excellent and comparable because they offer what is the best date free chrono dial lay out ever created, with fantastic movements that for all their tech are small and thin.

If you want big and heavy to feel the "quality", there are so many big chunky chronos out there. Take the new Tudor chronos that just released, so far the most outstanding complaints I'm hearing is the dial layout and hand set look a bit odd in real life and that the watch is thick and big.....perfect then for someone who doesn't like the Daytona.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 09:06 AM   #33
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

You can question the size of the watch but you cannot question it’s sheer beauty and proportions. It was not too long ago that a steel Daytona “hype watch” was auctioned for over $14,000,000. The hype is warranted in my estimation and there is no doubt the steel Daytona carry’s a level of cache that the other sport models simply don’t.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 09:16 AM   #34
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I too love the proportions of the Daytona and side with the folks calling it “elegant.” I’ve had four SS versions from the last three generations, sold the first three simply as part of my journey. Pretty sure my current black dial ceramic which I mounted on Oysterflex is a keeper now.
Sure there’s hype but other than in watch stores, I’ve only had one person ever notice it. If you’re buying one to say Hey Look at Me!, you might be severely disappointed.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 10:43 AM   #35
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
This thread is telling. The Daytona is an iconic piece, and top of the list for most collections. While I share the views on it being a more delicate timepiece, it still commands substantial wrist presence.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 11:03 AM   #36
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Now you can use those funds to buy a Chronomaster Sport... :p
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 11:07 AM   #37
timegradient
Banned

Great to see someone shares my thought, thanks OP
timegradient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 01:51 PM   #38
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Puppets View Post
Visited a few local ADs today now that the shops are back open in the UK. One of the dealers that I know pretty well had a white dial ceramic Daytona that was reserved for a customer, but he let me see it and try it on as I’ve been on the waiting list forever.

My other Rolex watches are GMTs and Subs (mixture of SS and PM) so this is the first time I’ve ever tried on a Daytona.

Impressions...

Truthfully, I was a little underwhelmed. It’s a visually beautiful watch, but it felt small and fragile compared to my other watches. I will get flamed for saying this, but it felt “like a toy” in comparison to my GMTs/Subs. Where my current watches have the functionality and comparative “beater quality” to them, the Daytona felt too fragile to me.

And I don’t know... I didn’t quite feel a connection to it... it felt like other than being visually nice, the functionality was severely lacking. That the beauty was all on the surface... but it lacked the brains to make me fall in love with it.

This is all from an initial 5 mins with the watch, so is perhaps not a fair judgement, but I just wanted to share my experience as it has certainly made me question whether I really want the watch at all, or whether I’ve just been sucked in by the hype.

I’d love some other opinions on this, especially from owners, about whether the hype and excitement of the visual appeal of the watch wears off. Because it is undoubtedly beautiful and fits really well on the wrist... it just felt to me on first impressions like it lacked depth somehow.
Agreed. Always felt small on my wrist. They look damn sexy on my wife but I don’t enjoy them. Great watch for a macro lens however.

Nothing is for everybody. Nothing is truly one size fits all. Thank goodness Rolex makes watches for all people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 89F1389C-14E9-4035-882C-0603D3F041D9.jpeg (218.9 KB, 392 views)
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 01:58 PM   #39
Milibrk@
"TRF" Member

I have a total of 4 Daytonas. Wrist time in order:

YG OF
SS White
WG OF
SS Black
Milibrk@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 02:06 PM   #40
Alfa2109
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16500LN White Dial
I own the WG blue dial 116509, and it’s heft and size are an awesome combination I love. But I also love and wear regularly a GMT, a DSSD JC and a 47 mm Panerai. I thoroughly enjoy the feel of all of them, different though they are. Different strokes.

6329, 6175, 116506, 326934 (blue), 126719BLRO (meteorite), 1803 (coral stella), AP 26860ST (blue)
Alfa2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 02:16 PM   #41
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinjimmy View Post
I felt the same when I tried on the white dial. I've never had the opportunity to try on the black, so maybe it is better, but I was incredibly underwhelmed with the white.
2 years go I visited tons of ADs frantically searching for a SS Daytona. I finally found a while ceramic at a grey dealer and I was so excited I think my hands were just about trembling. I put it on and meh... It was the weirdest thing and an immediate buzz kill. No offense to anyone. From an AD I would jump on purchasing it but at the current gray prices it's just hype.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 02:24 PM   #42
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

It's all about the black dial daytona. White is hype and puny. And I don't like big watches.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 04:37 PM   #43
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeface View Post
Good that you had the opportunity to try it on now rather than getting on "the list' and wishin' and waitin' for months or years, only to feel that way when your turn came up!
Most people’s “turn” never comes on a steel white Daytona
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 04:58 PM   #44
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
I’m pretty sure I no longer want one. However, it does make me wonder whether the heft of a PM version would be more appealing to me. Maybe the white gold blue dial version perhaps.
I would definitely opt for a PM version if your still a fan of the watch itself. You will be surprised at how much a difference the metal makes for many watches including this one, it's obviously a great value proposition as well at this point when looking at current pricing.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 05:08 PM   #45
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
I think it depends what you are used to or where you are in your "Watch collecting cycle"

6 years ago, I thought the GMT was too small having been used to wearing a Panerai more often. The Daytona was absolutely TINY.

Fast forward a few years while I still like my Panerai size, I really started to enjoy more traditional sized with the GMT now feeling on the larger side now sometimes.

The Daytona now is a size I can really enjoy day to day.

This might just be me though haha

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 07:28 PM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Yes, it is a little small and doesn't have a true panda dial so it's not quite the real McCoy for me, but I do enjoy mine, altho the LVc does remain my fav SS Rolex.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 09:54 PM   #47
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
I’m pretty sure I no longer want one. However, it does make me wonder whether the heft of a PM version would be more appealing to me. Maybe the white gold blue dial version perhaps.
I too don't care for the ceramic Daytona.

I've had two white dial Daytonas, one SS on a bracelet and one WG on a strap. Neither spoke to me. I thought the gold one was nice, but ridiculously the value in the secondary market is about the same.

Now.... the WG with blue face on a bracelet, that's gorgeous. But I could buy a decent new car for what it costs.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 09:54 PM   #48
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I have multiple watches, including a few Rolexes. My Daytona is the smallest of my collection. It takes my eyes a few hours to a day to adjust to the size. Once adjusted, the symmetry, transcending style, fit, all feel perfect to me.

I can understand why collectors go crazy for Daytonas. When I reverse the order and then put on my BLNR after wearing my Daytona for a day, my BLNR feels chunky, boxy and off. Then, again after a few hours I’m thinking wow, the BLNR is perfect.

The mental and eye adjustment takes time, I understand completely when buyers put on the Daytona and other Rolex models for the first time and think initially, hmm that’s it? The same sentiment has happened for years when folks try on a Submariner for the first time after wearing larger sized brands and models made by brands like Breitling, IWC, Omega, Panerai, etc.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 09:55 PM   #49
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
2 years go I visited tons of ADs frantically searching for a SS Daytona. I finally found a while ceramic at a grey dealer and I was so excited I think my hands were just about trembling. I put it on and meh... It was the weirdest thing and an immediate buzz kill. No offense to anyone. From an AD I would jump on purchasing it but at the current gray prices it's just hype.

I think msrp is reasonable for this watch, but when I finally got to try it, it just wasn’t for me. I’m not saying daytonas are bad watches, merely that the mystique and elusiveness is driving the price. Not the watch itself.

As I said before, I have yet to see the black ss in real life, and maybe that’s the one that blows me away, but the white kinda let me down.

My brother in law has the white two tone which looks amazing on his wrist, to me that’d be a much better buy than 40k for ss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 10:18 PM   #50
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
Now you can use those funds to buy a Chronomaster Sport... :p
I have the Daytona but have been really close to ordering the CMS as well. I have not held it in person, but I love everything about it based on the pics and videos. It supposedly wears more like a standard 40mm watch as well, which means it'll wear only slightly larger than the Daytona ... perfect IMO.
Wrist Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 11:42 PM   #51
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Agreed, it’s much more refined in size than other sports watches.
I felt the same way when I got mine, but then I was reminded that the Daytona is special in regards to a size, and robust build quality.

The reason I wanted it in the the first place, is due to the fact that so many other chronographs are way to fat, and wear like Pie plates on the wrist. The Daytona is probably one of the most comfortable sports watches I own, slides under a cuff, and IMO looks great w/ anything on a my 7 1/4”’ wrist.
But yeah, I get that after wearing something like a SD43 it looks a bit dainty.

Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 02:03 AM   #52
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

I don't know what my wrist size is but the 116500 fits my wrist pretty great (I suppose my wrist is on the smaller side), it is the most comfortable watch I have actually - probably exactly because it doesn't have as much heft. I also have the GMT master II, they wear very nice on my wrist as well, love them all!

I bought mine in 2017 and paid the market rate back then; I really wanted a 6263 back then but it was going for $35-40k which just couldn't picture myself drop that kind of money, I was so happy that Rolex released the 116500LN, to me it just so strikingly resembles the 6263, I wish the 3 sub-dials were full-black but I still love the aesthetics of the 116500LN.

Old 15 April 2021, 02:09 AM   #53
Shadow Puppets
"TRF" Member

Loads of good responses in this thread. I think that I probably needed a little bit of time to adjust to the size/heft difference after taking off my Sub to try it on. Maybe it I'd had chance to wear it for an hour or so it wouldn't have felt so delicate.

That being said, the WG blue face is still appealing a lot at this stage. We'll see.
Shadow Puppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 02:16 AM   #54
bp1000
"TRF" Member

You are right. I was underwhelmed when first considered buying one back in 2013.

I was use to larger dive watches and it was much smaller than I expected. Actually more like a smart dress watch, eg a date just. Similar profile too.

I traded it for a blue dial TT sub. Felt much more substantial.

However, fast forward a few years and 39mm became my ideal size. So the 40mm Daytona which I’m sure if I recall measures slightly under 40 on the callipers, was back in favour.

But no doubt, it feels totally different to a substantial dive watch. The PM pieces give quite a lot of weight. You should try to ones that sell for 6 figures. Just like any vintage piece, quite fragile indeed. Although they aren’t in reality.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 02:52 AM   #55
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

I have a 116500 and a 116508. I like the heft of the gold version more than stainless steel (but that’s the same feeling I have for the Submariner and GMT Master II). The Daytona, in any iteration, fits me beautifully. It is in my opinion, the most beautiful and comfortable watch Rolex makes currently. Just my observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 April 2021, 02:53 AM   #56
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
I have multiple watches, including a few Rolexes. My Daytona is the smallest of my collection. It takes my eyes a few hours to a day to adjust to the size. Once adjusted, the symmetry, transcending style, fit, all feel perfect to me.

I can understand why collectors go crazy for Daytonas. When I reverse the order and then put on my BLNR after wearing my Daytona for a day, my BLNR feels chunky, boxy and off. Then, again after a few hours I’m thinking wow, the BLNR is perfect.

The mental and eye adjustment takes time, I understand completely when buyers put on the Daytona and other Rolex models for the first time and think initially, hmm that’s it? The same sentiment has happened for years when folks try on a Submariner for the first time after wearing larger sized brands and models made by brands like Breitling, IWC, Omega, Panerai, etc.
Great perspective. Agreed. When I first tried on the big block lug Sub, I said to my self this watch is small??
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 05:04 AM   #57
smg8
Banned

Agree OP, there are better watches for the money in my opinion. The hype doesn’t match the product for me.

I had a TT Daytona for a while and it felt like a ladies watch one me. Really didn’t click with it.

Controversial opinion but same on the nautilus 5711. I turned one down at list as I tried it on and thought no thanks. Small and underwhelming, unfortunately.
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 05:16 AM   #58
Madman37
"TRF" Member

The white is definitely more popular David SW can’t rid of his black ceramic ones
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 05:30 AM   #59
Alfa2109
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16500LN White Dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman37 View Post
The white is definitely more popular David SW can’t rid of his black ceramic ones
His asking price just might have something to do with that ....

6329, 6175, 116506, 326934 (blue), 126719BLRO (meteorite), 1803 (coral stella), AP 26860ST (blue)
Alfa2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 05:35 AM   #60
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa2109 View Post
His asking price just might have something to do with that ....
Yeah agree but the white ones go fast on his site the black ones are just sitting there so not selling so nowhere as popular
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote